Home
[Linked Image]

Wow! How would it be to have a neighbor who'd leave you something like this?

Pristine 1967 Chevrolet Corvette found in garage to be auctioned
Published March 21, 2014
FoxNews.com
This 47 year-old car didn�t just run when it was parked a quarter century ago, it practically still had that new car smell.

A 1967 Chevrolet Corvette with just 2,996 miles on the odometer and one of the most interesting tales to tell is going on sale at the Mecum Auctions Houston event in April.

The 427/390 hp V8-powered coupe was purchased in 1966 by 30-year-old Don McNamara of Colorado Springs, with $5,000 he won on a trip he made to Las Vegas to celebrate his retirement from the U.S. Marines.

For a few months afterwards, the very private McNamara was occasionally seen tooling around town in the distinctive white two-door with its red �stinger� stripe on the hood, but soon it disappeared and was never spotted again. That is until 2011, when McNamara passed away and left his entire estate to his neighbors, who discovered the car parked in his garage under a shipping blanket festooned with American and Marine Corps flags.

Despite telling anyone who asked that he didn�t own the car anymore, it turns out that McNamara had been secretly driving it at night, having decided not to pay the title and license renewal fees after his first year of ownership. The man who never had a credit card or checking account apparently saw this as his own personal version of pure American freedom.

According to Mecum, McNamara finally parked it for good in the mid-1980s, having been the only person who ever drove it. Only two others had sat behind the wheel, and the passenger seat was never used. It�s never been in the rain, or washed with water.

The couple that inherited it sold it in 2012 to collector Dr. Mark Davis, who has displayed it at a few events and is now sending it across the block in Houston. There�s no telling what it is worth.

According to the Hagerty price guide, a typical top condition 1967 427 Corvette with a 4-speed manual goes for around $114,000, but this one is far from typical.

Along with the extremely low miles, it comes with the original window sticker and documentation, plus McNamara�s driver�s license and other artifacts related to his ownership of the car.

If a picture of this car is worth 1,000 words, the whole kit and caboodle should be enough write a novel with.

And with a back story like this, someone probably will.
thats a nice one. i really appreciate the old muscle cars but i gotta say that before i'd drop the money for a toy like that, i'd drop half of it on a 2014 Z51. it would eat that 67 for lunch with the a/c on and you would be able to hear yourself think while doing it. i'd then drop the other half on either a challenger SRT8 or a 2014 Z28. these are "the good old days" for muscle cars once again.
Originally Posted by rem141r
thats a nice one. i really appreciate the old muscle cars but i gotta say that before i'd drop the money for a toy like that, i'd drop half of it on a 2014 Z51. it would eat that 67 for lunch with the a/c on and you would be able to hear yourself think while doing it. i'd then drop the other half on either a challenger SRT8 or a 2014 Z28. these are "the good old days" for muscle cars once again.

Never understood why someone would want a muscle car and not be able to hear the engine roar...
Screw allthat 2014 z28 BS. I'll take the 67, roll the windows down, creep down the gravel driveway onto the highway in front of the house, dump the clutch on that 4-speed, and let those 427 CI cook the goodyears, listen to the music flowing through the headers, down to the side pipe exhaust.

At the stop light, I'll open the passanger door so your girlfriend can get in and ride with a BAMF in a 67, 427 Vette. wink
Exactly, the new generation of super cars are made for worn out old guys that want the performance of a muscle car and the ride of a Cadillac...
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Exactly, the new generation of super cars are made for worn out old guys that want the performance of a muscle car and the ride of a Cadillac...

We had a small issue when we did the start up of the gen-II LT-1 motor. The front faces of the heads weren't on the same plane of each other so the cam driven water pump didn't mount square to the block. The engine had a little whine to it that came from the water pump. A few customers complained. My thoughts were that it's a 'Vette for GOD sakes, embrace the roar!!!
Great story and car!

Yeah, and that is just what I have in my 1956 Eldorado Seville. It won't do 0 to 60 in 7 seconds but it ain't exactly a slouch either.
like i said, i like the old ones. but the new ones are a much better car. faster, better handling, and more reliable and just as sexy looking if not more so than the old ones.

and ya tzone, you can cruise by the nursing home and impress the geriatric chicks whilst i'm down at the beach with a 20-something hottie cruising in my Z51. wink
This thing might go for $500K?

Truly a one of a kind I would think.
I would love to own the "old", but I dearly love to "drive" the new. grin

Heck, my wifey even likes it. cry

donsm70
If you ever get the chance to drive a modern day "muscle" car you'll have a hard time describing something from the 60's as really having muscle. I love those old cars, like the Chevelle's, Cuda's, Camaro's, Shelby's and Cobra's, but they don't perform like the new stuff does.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If you ever get the chance to drive a modern day "muscle" car you'll have a hard time describing something from the 60's as really having muscle. I love those old cars, like the Chevelle's, Cuda's, Camaro's, Shelby's and Cobra's, but they don't perform like the new stuff does.

The new ones don't look nearly as good.
Unless you're a fan of plastic and no lines.
I'd agree with that whole heartedly.

That can be addressed..
Buying this car would be a total waste of money unless you where a Vintage Car Collector . With today's gasoline it wouldn't last long if you decide to drive it
Originally Posted by rosco1

That can be addressed..

Yes, but for me, the value stays with those old beauties when they are left stock.
IIRC, I read somewhere that only 20 1967 Corvettes got the upgraded 1966 427 cubic inch L88 engine, which is going to send this cars price through the roof.

Pair that with the excellent condition and story behind the car and someone will be in for one big ass payday.

Others with this rare motor have sold for $1,000,000
The new ones aren't as cool as some of the old ones, but you the can't deny the ls engine series rocks.New one carve corners too... Nothing like poping the hood on an old chevelle and seeing those big wide valve covers though. I don't imagine the new ones will ever smell like a chevelle either.
Speaking of great finds...I might be off on my dates on this but its as close as I remember.

A rich guy in Italy ordered a new Rolls. It was in the '50's or 60's IIRC. At the time, there was a 2 year wait as each car was hand built. He paid for it in full and waited. However, before it came, he died. When it was delivered, his widow had it put in the barn, still in the shipping crate. It sat there, unopened, for between 30 and 40 years. When the woman died, the estate was auctioned off, including the car. It was bought by an American who had it shipped to his home in CA. He opened the crate and the car saw daylight for the 1st time in 40 years. It was still covered in the anti-rust grease they used at the time. While he was getting it cleaned up, he discovered that there was no owners manual. He wrote to Rolls Royce, explaining the circumstances, and asked it was still possible to get a manual for it. In short order, a Rolls rep knocked on his door and handed him the manual in person, along with a NEW CAR WARRANTY. They said it had never been driven and was worthy of a new warranty.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
IIRC, I read somewhere that only 20 1967 Corvettes got the upgraded 1966 427 cubic inch L88 engine, which is going to send this cars price through the roof.

Pair that with the excellent condition and story behind the car and someone will be in for one big ass payday.

Others with this rare motor have sold for $1,000,000

That car isn't an L88. 427/390 in this one. The L88's have sold in the millions IIRC.

Darby sent me a message telling me this. Too bad, but I still bet they get a good chunk of change for it.

Wish I had a neighbor like that.
Wow! Cool story
Maybe $1 million for it?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/pair-of-rare-corvettes-among-standouts-180656668.html

I'm with you there. Even though not a muscle car as it makes a measly 275 hp, my wife's e430 benz has such a perfect blend of rock solid ride, smoothness, quiet and comfort you can find yourself just shy of triple digits with ease.

If I wanted and every day muscle car it would be an AMG benz.

But, there are times for raw sounds, raw performance and raw noise. It's been at least a couple decades if not three since manufacturers produced such cars.
Sweet car and fascinating story. I can't imagine buying something like that and hardly driving it to save on license fees.

I saw a Z51 the other day and man, what a smokin' car! I'd love to get one.

Eric

No doubt today's cars have much nicer interiors and most are light years ahead of the old muscle cars as far as suspension goes, but they're still wannabees.

Nothing like the old vintage muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.
my boss has the benz CLK63 AMG Black Series. it is truly impressive and sounds like unreal. it pushes you back in your seat like a rocket.
Originally Posted by grovey
I don't imagine the new ones will ever smell like a chevelle either.

Yes they will. The new Chevy's will burn just as much oil as the old ones. grin
An old neighbor has a '67 Vette convertible with the L71 Tri-power 427. It was nice when I was a kid, but it has since been restored and is super clean now.

All I can do is slobber. grin
my boss has the benz CLK63 AMG Black Series. it is truly impressive and sounds like unreal. it pushes you back in your seat like a rocket.

I'd love to get an E63 4matic wagon.

[Linked Image]

Perfect sleeper, 550 hp grocery getter. And I don't know how MBZ does it, but the wagons ride just like the sedan.
my dad has an '06 corvette 6 speed convertible. The LS engine in that thing is freaking amazing its got the grunt of a diesel down low. The car sticks like glue and has tons of power. For me the problem is the car has NO SOLE. The interior is so plain jane its sad. I had an '07 mustang GT It was a great car that DID have sole the way the dash was it was like the late 60's all over again looking out over that thing. The only problem was it didn't have that amazing LS engine in it. IMO while fast the car was a little underpowered especially combined with the altitude I live at.

that 67 vette is the most beautiful car produced. I am not a fan of the white and I really don't like red interior on anything. I prefer black interior on those cars.
I really like the resto mod corvettes, old bodies on a new chassis with all all the modern stuff under the hood, modern suspension and brakes. They look old, but drive and handle like a new one, dang wish I could afford one.

http://www.buyavette.net/1965%20Cor...tible%20For%20Sale%20Stock%201200CJS.php

Originally Posted by NeBassman
I really like the resto mod corvettes, old bodies on a new chassis with all all the modern stuff under the hood, modern suspension and brakes. They look old, but drive and handle like a new one, dang wish I could afford one.

Only $139K!

that is an amazing car!!! 2 things I would change the wheels don't work for the car. I would have custom wheels made that look like the originals but are taller and wider. put the original steering wheel back on the car. again not a fan of red interior, black interior black stinger.
like i said, i like the old ones. but the new ones are a much better car. faster, better handling, and more reliable and just as sexy looking if not more so than the old ones.

and ya tzone, you can cruise by the nursing home and impress the geriatric chicks whilst i'm down at the beach with a 20-something hottie cruising in my Z51. wink
You probably haven't been to a good car show, with old muscle cars and hot rods. Babes aplenty. No ones debating the performance of the new cars compared to the old, but the older ones have character and personality. And you can actually work on them. as far as handling, many suspension and brake upgrades are available if you don't care about matching numbers, etc. And the old cars don't look like a Japanese cartoon, like the new Camaro, for instance.
If I bought everything I own by the standard of how many "babes" I would impress, I doubt I would own anything I own...
Originally Posted by tzone

Surprised you posted in this thread Ford boy. Move along... nothing for you to see here.
My buddies father was a collector of sorts with regard to 'vettes. He still had 5 of them when he passed of colon cancer...all of them red. Since my buddy was an only child he got em all. He wrapped the '78 around a tree, the '92 got loose on him and found a ditch. He sold the '63 split window (a$$hole)and the '76. He kept the '68 Stingray with the 427 and that thing went like a raped ape. Just sitting in that thing at idle sent chills up your spine. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I had dibs. He dumped it for $22K without so much as a phone call (double a$$hole). Not only did he piss on his father's legacy (triple a$$hole), but that car was one of a kind.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
"My buddy's"... (a$$hole)(double a$$hole)(triple a$$hole)
Some buddy. frown
That C2 generation of the Corvette in the coupe version was one of the most beautiful sports cars ever made. Had a 64 convertible that was sweet. That being said take one of the old ones with the side pipes and go for a 500mile spin and come back and tell me how much fun you are having.

Same with an original Shelby Cobra. The floor boards will cook your feet, the sound will deafen your ears and you best hope it doesn't rain.

Combined with, don't play with either one on a wet road unless you know what you are doing. Both will get you in trouble in a blink if you decide to push them a hair past most of our abilities.

Admittedly they were drivers cars compared to the safety features on the recent offerings. The new ones can go faster and corner better, carry more, break down much less frequently, last longer and do it all while allowing the average driver less chance of smashing it to hell and back. Along with allowing you to converse with a passenger or listen to the radio and enjoy a long ride.

Nostalgia is nice and cool, but for a daily or long trip driver the C6 and the new C7 are the best bang for the buck of any sports car ever made.

64-69-2004-2007 and 2010.

Me too.
I'll take it!..er...
Imo, the car may go for 300K plus.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]

This is the type of car the CEO of GM will snap up, much like this one owned by a former CEO of GM.

[Linked Image]
67 with 3k miles - wow!! What a beautiful car. Well, mine only has about 103k - but those have been FUN miles.
More photos at Mecham Link Here Wow!
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Unless you're a fan of plastic and no lines.

Not to get too far off the subject, but have you been in a gun store lately? See how many guns you can find that come plastic free. It's not just cars.
It's gonna take me a little while to save up ______?

Heck with it, rifles aren't so much money.

P.S. Nice looking car, though.

Classic muscle is closer than you think....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8630220/Selling_my_Z_28#Post8630220
Screw allthat 2014 z28 BS. I'll take the 67, roll the windows down, creep down the gravel driveway onto the highway in front of the house, dump the clutch on that 4-speed, and let those 427 CI cook the goodyears, listen to the music flowing through the headers, down to the side pipe exhaust.

At the stop light, I'll open the passanger door so your girlfriend can get in and ride with a BAMF in a 67, 427 Vette. wink
Exactly!!!
Originally Posted by bea175
Buying this car would be a total waste of money unless you where a Vintage Car Collector . With today's gasoline it wouldn't last long if you decide to drive it

You actually think someone will buy this car to drive?

Stuff like this ends up in showrooms,Think Jay Leno type collectors.

If one wanted to drive on todays unleaded you can change the valves or heads. The motor gurus can tune in on that to get it exact. I also know there are lead additives you can add to the tank.
At a fuzz over 10 to 1 comp with iron heads you could add a gallon of race gas to every 4 gallons of super,and take a few degrees of timing out of it. Doesn't look like the kinda car to pull gears in anyhow. Cruise it.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

You do realize that Jay Leno drives his cars? they don't just sit there and collect dust.
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by Kenneth

You do realize that Jay Leno drives his cars? they do just sit there and collect dust.

Leno doesn't keep them all stock. For example, in an article he wrote for Pop Mechanics, he told about an old car he bought and drove. The stock brakes were so poor than he couldn't stop it a stop lights and he ran some. It scared the heck out of him on hills. He replaced the stock brakes with modern good ones. Of course it took some fabrication to make them fit. He has some very good mechanics on the payroll to figure those things out.

Surprised you posted in this thread Ford boy. Move along... nothing for you to see here.

Well I'm a "Ford Boy" because I've owned Chevy's and learned from my mistakes.
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
"My buddy's"... (a$$hole)(double a$$hole)(triple a$$hole)
Some buddy. frown

Agreed. Don't see him much anymore.
Sold price was $725,000....
It's not a muscle car, it's a sports car.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Sold price was $725,000....

Shrapnel, sold off a couple of his Sako 222 Mags and bought it?

Coool!!!
still not a mopar
What he said!
I worked at a Chevy dealership through high school, in the body shop. Transports would drop them off for us to detail and we got to drive them to the showroom. How cool for high school kids to be able to do that....

Even as my son puts it...

"Yeah yeah dad, I know... the BEST Vette ever made, was the last Good Vette made and that was the 67 With a 427 and Tri Power..."

Guess I've said it enough for him to get the point, when he sees one of the newer SuperDuper Vettes...

Nothing tops the thrill of a 1967 built 427 with the three 2 barrel carbs on top...in a blue or green 67 Vette...
© 24hourcampfire