Home
Well it's been a year since I decided to get a handle on my weight and get into shape. Try living a healthier lifestyle and what not. So far so good. I've gone from this:

[Linked Image]

To this:

[Linked Image]

Doing DDP Yoga every day now(have been for the last 8 months), I don't even remember the last time I felt this good.
Good for you. That is quite the accomplishment. Age and health have slowed me down but at 6' 1" and a month away from 65 I am down to 195 and holding.
Congrats! Got me to look at the DDP too now, I"ve wanted to do yoga but never knew where to loook. May order it and see.

Wife does insanity and somethign else he has.. I"ve worked on insanity and its good, but would rather try something along the lines of yoga. Flexibility along with in shape and fit, is a good thing for crawling around in house fires and the like.
Awesome. And you've got the very best reasons to stay in shape right there in the photos with you.
Good for you

It is a battle for me

of the 100lbs I lost last year I have gained back 15lbs

which I'm in the process of getting off

2 down and 13 left to go

Snake

Snake
I'm down a full fifty since July. To the uninformed, I'm on the left, wife in the center, good friend on right..

[Linked Image]

that's impressive Cowboy Tim! good on ya! and as was mentioned, plenty of good motivation for you with those youngsters.

one of the best gifts you can give those tykes, a dad in good enough shape to play with them and a dad that will be around a good deal longer.

me I suck, I'm at 203 currently, though weight is a lousy indicator of my shape. best shape ever I weighed 215, worst 218

sheep shape used to be 195 or under for me.

got down to 195 last year dealing with my wife's illness, but I can guarantee you it wasn't sheep shape.

had been working out and doing pretty well, but then spring break and snowmachining, so I'm about 2 weeks out of a workout.

gonna look for that yoga you reco'ed, at my age I think flexibility is even more vital than strength
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

gonna look for that yoga you reco'ed, at my age I think flexibility is even more vital than strength

Yep. Hadn't heard of that before, but it's going to be on order here very quickly.
Well done man!!!!
I'm down a little more than 30. I weighed in at 175 this morning and at 5'11, I'll take it.
Damn Jorge, put your wife in the center and you in background next time.....uh not that you don't look great too...
Without my fuglyass..

[Linked Image]
DDP Yoga is a great program, I did Insanity a year ago at the beginning of this. Lost a lot of weight, but I beat the ever living crap out of myself in the process. I've had similar results with the DDP Yoga(acually put on more muscle mass with the yoga!!!), and when I get done working out I feel great, not like somebody ran me over with a truck...

By the way Jorge...well done indeed(and congrats on the weight loss too laugh )
Much better photo, IMO!!! smile

In all seriousness, congrats on the weight loss. You look good.
Outstanding---You should have gone on the biggest loser and won a million bucks cos you deserve it!!! I know those kids will enjoy their Dad being around for many more years now.

Did not see anything about diet on the site. How did you change what you ate or did you?

Thanks,

David
I just eat clean, cut the crap(junk food, processed food) out and eat reasonable portions. There are different levels of nutrition plans in the program guide that people have had a lot of success with...what I do would be very similar to "Phase 1"...but I was already doing it before I started this program.
Tim, gotta be 80# or better?
That's impressive as hell.

Congratulations.
Good on you too, Jorge.

I've never had to fight a *major* battle of the bulge. I've been fairly thin most of my life.

But these days, my 6' frame seems to want to go about 210 if I eat what I want.

I feel *correct* at about 185.

I've been laying off the peanut butter since Christmas and got myself down from 210 to 190.

I'll squeeze the other 5 lbs off now that it's got warm enough for me to get outside and move around a bit.

I've found that anxiety induced panic attacks are a good way to burn some calories.

I get on a motorcycle and hit the interstate at rush hour, and 50 miles is good for a pound every time I do it.

Of course,..I'll get killed deadern 4 O'clock from doing so, eventually.

,...but I'll leave a thin corpse.
Down to 195 myself. Atkins and as of the past 8 days, Focus T25 workouts.

That 25 minute workout is kick ass.I'm still at the lower level, as well.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm down a full fifty since July. To the uninformed, I'm on the left, wife in the center, good friend on right..

[Linked Image]

She looks like your daughter! grin
Originally Posted by SKane
Tim, gotta be 80# or better?

Right you are sir...was 90, 80 now, but my jeans are looser...I figure I've added some muscle too... wink

Started at about 285, right around 200 now...
I just finished up week 8 of my first round of p90x3. Down only about 10 lbs so far, but am certainly in better shape.

Will be continuing with that all the way through November 1st, completing it 3 times. Next week adding in running a couple nights during the week, and a for time hike / climb one day a weekend with weighted pack, working up to 60 lbs or so by elk season. Intent will be to complete the climb then with 60 lbs in the same time or better than I do it now with just a light day pack with my usual hunting day pack load.

This year's elk hunt won't be kicking my azz the way last year's did. Or at least if it does, it will mean I'm going further, longer, steeper and harder.

Want to try to fit in a half marathon in October, but that is lowest priority. Not going to screw up my knee again.
I should have never let her get away. Frikken Naval pension and consultant salary beat my ass again.
Originally Posted by isaac
I should have never let her get away. Frikken Naval pension and consultant salary beat my ass again.

yah I'm sure Karen is disappointed too! shocked

you got no reason to complain in the "what kind of wife did I end up with dept." my friend

you and jorge both out kicked your coverage

and yesssss it takes one to know one blush
I got weighed at the Dr the other day and he couldn't figure out how I had gained 15 pounds in 4 days, then I started emptying pockets and my jacket turns out I had lost 2 lbs but a 1911, taurus TCP, leather man, random box of 45-70 several knifes and other stuff shoved in my coat weighed close to 17 lb He told me I needed to lose 5-10 lbs to be ideal for my build, I have 3 to go.
Yoga is for chicks. Men lift weights.
No, real men do what they gotta do and don't worry about what others think.
The trick boys, was a loving wife who put me onto a program called 'Weightnot" and it WORKED. Cost a little bit of money, but it was worth it. Thanks to all *you too Bristoe) for the compliments. I'm down to 182 and I'd like to go ten more. My muscle mass ain't what is was when I was 30 or even 50 when arguably, I was in the best shape of my life. I've always had to fight, fight, for with my weight, but after I retired in 08, it was really tough.. Hopefully I can continue to stay at this weight.
Originally Posted by isaac

You forgot to mention I have three legs smile
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Tell that to all the bad azzz fighters in the octagon as well as a coupe of Navy Seals I know. Besides if it'll knock off weight I'll do whatever it's takes and think nonetheless of whatever you want to call it. And I'm not even that much over.

My work/stress coach recommends yoga every time I make the visit. She was right.
yeah but Bob has Yorkies

oh wait nevermind

3rd leg trumps yorkies
Dooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!! That's impressive! Reminds me I need to lose about 40 lbs. Soon as I heal up I'm gonna be on it.

Missing the smiley at the end.
Originally Posted by byc

Tell that to all the bad azzz fighters in the octagon as well as a coupe of Navy Seals I know. Besides if it'll knock off weight I'll do whatever it's takes and think nonetheless of whatever you want to call it. And I'm not even that much over.

My work/stress coach recommends yoga every time I make the visit. She was right.

How much can your "stress coach" clean and jerk?

Seriously though "mobility" is what you are after, yoga is just one method, here is, IMO a far superior method:

http://breakingmuscle.com/books-dvds/book-review-becoming-a-supple-leopard-by-kelly-starrett

Running, P90X etc are all well and good, I run a couple days/wk, row on a Concept II, but what will do more (other than a Paleo/Zone Diet) to keep you from becoming a feeble old man (or woman) is to stand on your own two feet and move a heavy azz barbell around.... a lot.
Well, I'm down 120lbs but I couldn't do it without a "tool" I've fought the food demons (my heroin) for years, I'm 62 now, have lost and gaining a 1000lbs. Diabetes was getting very close so I chose to have the Gastric Sleeve operation. Here are before and after pic's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've always been lean but I try to run about 25 miles a week for roughly 6 months out of the year. Gonna start again shortly but it's supposed to snow tonight, so I'll start Monday maybe.

Well a lot of guys I work with feel that way, they can have a good laugh with their chiropractor about once a month and just keep doing those 12 oz curls. Then they can keep wondering how they can have a rough time keeping up with a guy that's 10 years older than they are at work... shocked
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Well, I'm down 120lbs but I couldn't do it without a "tool" I've fought the food demons (my heroin) for years, I'm 62 now, have lost and gaining a 1000lbs. Diabetes was getting very close so I chose to have the Gastric Sleeve operation. Here are before and after pic's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Outstanding results...feels good not to be carrying around all that extra you, doesn't it?
Tim,

Thanks for the thread. DDP Yoga ordered here.
Excellent work Tim!
And this one time, in yoga class, I stuck a flute in my...

Stretching and being flexible is one thing, but you need to add muscle. Every guy in my gym that does yoga is skinny fat guy, but at least they can touch their toes. LOL
You had too many before pics. I was looking at them and saying to myself, "I don't see the difference."
I'm down close to 25 in under 2 months, hoping to stop another 20 by wedding day in July.

Wiped out my back in 2001. In 2002 they said I would never work again. I worked 65 to 70 hour weeks until I retired two and a half years ago. Now both shoulders are gone. My wife has to help put my shirts on and off. Somehow I doubt weights are a good idea for me right now.
And this one time, in yoga class, I stuck a flute in my...

Stretching and being flexible is one thing, but you need to add muscle. Every guy in my gym that does yoga is skinny fat guy, but at least they can touch their toes. LOL

Wanna arm wrestle?
Been doing arobic\weightlifing every other day five days a week going on eight months. Age 49.
Haven't lost but a couple pounds but my body has changed tremendously for the better.
I can see it is going to be a lifetime necessity but on the plus side I eat what want and make gains in fitness.
Originally Posted by Scott F

Wiped out my back in 2001. In 2002 they said I would never work again. I worked 65 to 70 hour weeks until I retired two and a half years ago. Now both shoulders are gone. My wife has to help put my shirts on and off. Somehow I doubt weights are a good idea for me right now.

You ain't too old to get them fixed.
Back is not fixable. Have been to 21, yes that is a real number, neurosurgeons. All say no help. Shoulders may be fixable. I will talk to my doctor the next time I get to the VA to see him.
Yoga is a supplement, not a workout. Weights build muscle and bone density. More muscle increases your metabolism. This is science.

Only reason I would do yoga is to check out chicks in yoga pants.
Yoga is a supplement, not a workout. Weights build muscle and bone density. More muscle increases your metabolism. This is science.

Only reason I would do yoga is to check out chicks in yoga pants.

thanks for clearing that up dogcatcher

for a minute there my lying eyes had me convinced Cowboy Tim was telling the truth about how he shed that weight and got toned up crazy grin

cain't trust them Cowboy types I reckon, he prolly just told us all about the yoga so he could get a good laugh thinking of a bunch of us old guys trying to bend over far enough to see up our nether regions

shame on you Tim, shame on you! wink
Isn't he the guy that wanted to arm wrestle me or something odd?

You're the one that said DDP Yoga doesn't build muscle...and that only chicks and "skinny fat guys" do yoga...do a little homework on the program, you'd be surprised.
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

You're the one that said DDP Yoga doesn't build muscle...and that only chicks and "skinny fat guys" do yoga...do a little homework on the program, you'd be surprised.

Okay, post some yoga guy deadlift, shoulder press, and power clean numbers. The aforementioned lifts are what fit people can do at any age. At 54, I'm right at all of Mark Rippetoe's intermediate standards for all the major lifts

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

What you don't seem to understand is yoga, by itself, has never been, and will never, ever, be a proper conditioning program, in and of itself. This is the same as running.

Far be it from me to disregard the importance of flexibility and mobility, as that is a current weakness of mine currently, and I'm seeking to rectify that.
You really can't discount ALL yoga programs out of hand, there are way too many different types of it for that. Yoga IS what DDP Yoga is based on but to compare it to most types of yoga is like comparing a Ford Super Duty to a Chevy Luv...there's more to the program than just yoga. It's basically Yoga, in plain english, without the spiritual bs, with old school calisthenics(different types of push ups and crunches mostly) added along with Dynamic Resistance(kinda like isometrics)...It's a great workout that gets your heart rate up and builds muscle.
Tim, that is truly an impressive show of self control, moderation, and determination. I've rarely seen anything more impressive. Good for you and your family.

It has certainly opened my eyes.

Scott
I have always heard fat people are happy people

[Linked Image]
Had the chance to meet Dallas Page a couple weeks ago...I hope I'm HALF that ripped at 58... [Linked Image]
Tough Mudder Wisconsin 2014, 10+ miles in the mud, the hills, ice water and obstacle course...DONE!!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Well it's been a year since I decided to get a handle on my weight and get into shape. Try living a healthier lifestyle and what not. So far so good. I've gone from this:

[Linked Image]

To this:

[Linked Image]

Doing DDP Yoga every day now(have been for the last 8 months), I don't even remember the last time I felt this good.

Tim you look awesome! ... and happy with the kids. Congrats on the work & results.

I'm not overweight by any standard, but I am out-of-shape by comparison.

You just motivated me to get back to work on it.

Thing is, it used to just happen. Seems things changed in the 40's... I guess it'll take a little effort now.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Okay, post some yoga guy deadlift, shoulder press, and power clean numbers. The aforementioned lifts are what fit people can do at any age. At 54, I'm right at all of Mark Rippetoe's intermediate standards for all the major lifts

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

What you don't seem to understand is yoga, by itself, has never been, and will never, ever, be a proper conditioning program, in and of itself. This is the same as running...

Someone who is overweight and is doing Yoga is more than likely DOING heavy lifting everytime they support or balance their body weight. 101lb skinny guy, not so much.

Exercises vary- whatever works for you.
I say whatever exercise program a guy can stay with to increase his cardiovascular fitness and lose weight, whether it be weight training, yoga, jogging, hiking, power walking, jump rope, jumping jacks, an intense hopscotch regimen etc. is the right one for him.

I have a buddy that tries to convince me my workout program isn't sophisticated enough every chance he gets. He's a naturally leaner guy than me and in good shape, but couldn't out do me in any form of physical fitness except talking about physical fitness. It's lame and annoying to put down someone's program if it works for them, IMO.
© 24hourcampfire