Home
Posted By: twofish Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
I don't have any idea who if any on hear play golf or enjoy watching or even care.

That said, the current coverage of the US Open on NBC just plain sucks and will it likely get worse in the future. Fox sports (who has never even covered a golf tournament before) will get the US Open for the next several years to come.

I miss CBS coverage already... Nantz, McCord, Feherty and all the others do a fantastic job IMHO.

Comparing Masters coverage to this is a joke.

Mini rant over.

twofish
I like Johnny Miller. No nonsense analyst IMO.

I'm finding this course to be kinda ugly but haven't watched much yet.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
watching someone else play golf sleep
Posted By: fredIII Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Golf just sucks .
Originally Posted by fredIII
Golf just sucks .

Sunday afternoon watching a US Open is top shelf! grin
Posted By: sambubba Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
I think Miller is the most arrogant, egotistical prima donna that ever called a sporting event of any kind. Howard Cosell is the one person who might have been worse. End of rant.
At least he's not drunk off his ass like Ken Venturi and Summerall used to be.

That was downright obnoxious at times.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
golf sucks azz anywhere...............

Gunner
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
I'd druther watch haircuts.........
Posted By: eyeball Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Shaves
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Bumpers rust or watching paint peel.

Gunner
Posted By: twofish Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Johnny Miller does love to recall and to attempt to regale everyone with his own accomplishments regardless of whether anyone wants to hear it or not.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
NBC and ABC are programmed out of my TV. There's nothing, NOTHING they have that I wanna watch. Period. End of story.

Been that way since 2008.
What's on CBS that you can't miss?
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

It was "fun" in school. I threw the golf club behind me on the upswing [whatever they call it]. You have to find ways to really live'n it up. grin
Posted By: fish head Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

It was "fun" in school. I threw the golf club behind me on the upswing [whatever they call it]. You have to find ways to really live'n it up. grin

[Backswing]. smile

I grew up in the city and golf was great fun and a way to get away from the folks for an afternoon. I gave it up long ago when I really got into fishing and have rarely picked up club since then.

Sir Nick Faldo is my favorite commentator. He knows the game and has great insights on the swing.

Golf, the game where you hit a ball, then chase it!
Posted By: tzone Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
It's not just NBC. Golf on any channel sucks ass.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
I play whatever, I don't watch.

I'll play golf but have not in 10 years. But I won't watch any sport. Just doesn't make sense much to me.

If I'm not participating, what good does it do me to watch?

I know what we used to do, competitive shooting, would be as boring as golf. And running, riding, swimming like my wife.... damn those would be boring.

Aobut like watching racing too.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Originally Posted by tzone
It's not just NBC. Golf on any channel sucks ass.

laugh beat me to it! laugh
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
Watching golf on TV is a complete waste of a day. I dread going to see my FIL tomorrow because he will have the US Open on TV and it will be LOUD! Same thing every frickin' Father's Day!

Posted By: eh76 Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
ear plugs?
Posted By: twofish Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/14/14
I play golf occasionally. Never got very good. Played mostly when I was in my 30's. Best I could tell everybody that could score well played at least twice a week and hit balls on the off days.

I do however have respect for folks who play well and if I have nothing else to do I will watch something like the US Open, Masters or other majors.

I can see folks thinking it is boring as hell but if you have ever tried to play at decent level watching great players is impressive.

NBC's commentators even make it hard for me to watch though...

twofish
Posted By: sse Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
plus, a kraut is going to win...
Espn is worse coverage. Berman is worse than any of them.
Posted By: 1B Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
I'd rather watch paint dry or even soccer than golf on TV.

1B
Posted By: twofish Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
Originally Posted by 1B
I'd rather watch paint dry or even soccer than golf on TV.

1B

I can't watch soccer. The only time I could tolerate a soccer game was when one of my kid's was playing. Now soccer on ice with the sticks and fights is a different story. grin

twofish
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I like Johnny Miller. No nonsense analyst IMO.

Just tells it like it is. Nantz drives me nuts - "whispering" when someone is ready to put even though he's probably a mile away from the damn green!
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Espn is worse coverage. Berman is worse than any of them.

Berman cracks me up, I'd like to see him and Feherty paired up together.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
"bread and circuses"

"food stamps and basketball"
Tell you what, I dont think I've ever watched a more boring US Open.

No drama, no stars, no nothin.

At least I used to be able to root against Tiger...

Btw I still say Johnny Miller is good. grin
Posted By: bhemry Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14

Tell you what, I dont think I've ever watched a more boring US Open.

No drama, no stars, no nothin.

You'd have to pay me to watch golf. Well, I might voluntarily watch a few highlights, but...

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story...s-cart-driver-to-on-course-arrest-061414

PINEHURST, N.C. -- The loud commotion by the 11th tee right after U.S. Open leader Martin Kaymer teed off on Saturday had nothing to do with competition. It had to do with an angry North Carolina Highway patrolman and the arrest of NBC roving golf reporter Roger Maltbie's cart driver.

The trooper, identified in the arrest report as Ryan Ashley Goodin, was upset because he said the driver, identified as Thomas Howerton Lineberry, 59, of Wilmington, ran over his foot when leaving the tee area. Goodin then chased the cart on a sandy surface just outside the gallery ropes while yelling, �Stop! Stop!� and �Come back here.�

He finally caught up, climbed onto the back of the cart and put his arms around Lineberry's neck and shoulders from behind. As Maltbie came over to try to help his friend and colleague, Goodin handcuffed the suspect from behind and arrested him.

"This is a new one," Maltbie said walking down the 11th fairway at Pinehurst No. 2. "I've been to a couple of rodeos and a county fair and I've never had this happen."

The N.C. Department of Public Safety said Lineberry was taken to the Moore County Jail on Saturday night in nearby Carthage.

Lineberry was charged with four criminal counts, according to a report released by the Department of Public Safety: felony assault on a law-enforcement officer; felony hit and run; driving while impaired; and resist, obstruct and delay, according to a State Highway Patrol report.

"They did take a test, and there was suspicion of an impairment, potentially drugs," said Pam Walker, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.

Goodin, the trooper, was treated at the State Highway Patrol medical trailer for a minor leg injury and released. Goodin is one of about 170 troopers assisting with security at the U.S. Open.

Lineberry was released on a $3,000 secured bond. Messages left by Golfweek at Lineberry's home and work numbers were not immediately returned.

"We are aware of the incident involving a local volunteer and will refrain from commenting further until we have all of the facts and have spoken to everyone involved,� an NBC Sports spokesperson said.

Maltbie said he has been friends with the man since his rookie year on Tour. The North Carolinian also drove for Maltbie at the 1999 and 2005 U.S. Opens at Pinehurst.

One witness said the cart brushed the officer. It's clear the mistake the driver made in not stopping when ordered. But it's uncertain whether he knew a law officer was screaming for him to stop the cart.

After being handcuffed, Lineberry asked Maltbie to put his headset back on the top of his head so he could inform NBC officials about what happened. Walking down the 11th hole, Maltbie radioed a producer and said, �Send somebody out here. My cart is on the right of the 11th tee.�

Soon after, a substitute driver arrived.

Posted By: slumlord Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/15/14
Drama llama cops. How bout just get the fugg out the way of the golf cart next time.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Golf on NBC sucks azz. - 06/16/14
Originally Posted by fredIII
Golf just sucks .

2nd. Beat me to it.
I'd rather watch Celebrity Clog Dancing while having my fingernails pulled out than watch golf! What a friggin waste of time.
Most people who watch golf also play golf, so we "get it". I, for one, cannot understand how people can stand to watch soccer, but apparently they do. I have to say that there's too much talking going on. There are at least 4 guys talking about every shot they show on tv: the 2 in the booth, the guy on the tower covering the hole, and the guy on the ground covering the group playing the hole. Somebody needs to shut up. And why do we need "essays" at a golf tournament. Some old rummy waxing poetic about tournaments that happened 50 years ago. Just shut up and show the golf, already!
Most people who watch golf also play golf, so we "get it". I, for one, cannot understand how people can stand to watch soccer, but apparently they do. I have to say that there's too much talking going on. There are at least 4 guys talking about every shot they show on tv: the 2 in the booth, the guy on the tower covering the hole, and the guy on the ground covering the group playing the hole. Somebody needs to shut up. And why do we need "essays" at a golf tournament. Some old rummy waxing poetic about tournaments that happened 50 years ago. Just shut up and show the golf, already!
© 24hourcampfire