Home
Posted By: DocRocket Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I've had a moustache since I was 20, and a full beard since I was 23. Never shaved off the moustache even once, but the beard came off for 3 weeks when I went into med school for reasons that are hard to articulate. (But it scared the bejabbers outta my daughters that first day, I must admit.)

But this past week or six I've looked at a bunch of photos taken of me and I seriously doubt I care for my beard no more.

I haven't seen my nekkid face in the mirror since I was a no-nothing kid. Maybe it's about time to do so.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Keep the 'stache!
Nahh.. Tom, I'm keeping it all or I'm goin' clean.
Do it, it'll grow back if you don't like it.
I've had my moustache since I was 18. Never been shaved off. I'd feel naked with out it cool
Posted By: ingwe Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
You'll look like a baby's ass with teeth! eek
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
After two weeks you'll be so sick of shaving every day, the beard will be looking pretty good again.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I think about it from time to time myself. Had a full beard for ' bout 40 years. It used to be black, now it's white an probably making me look older than I really am!
Leave a handlebar stache. At least try it before everything's gone.
I've never had a beard or stash.

The closest I've come are on two week hunts or BWCA trips. Can't stand the feeling of it. I shave every day, it's awesome.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by manydogs
After two weeks you'll be so sick of shaving every day, the beard will be looking pretty good again.

^^^^^
This
Plus we aint going to know who you are!
My young friend, I'll be gentle with you in this matter of facial hair... a [bleep]' handlebar is a huge pain in the ass to maintain and utilize. Had one for many years, I'm not goin' there again.

I mean.. geez, you know how much I spent on moustache wax a month? Not to mention, you gotta drink your unsweet tea out of a straw, and when it's time to kiss a gal, let alone lick her puzzy, you need bobby pins... I tell ya, it's a pain...
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I've never had enough testosterone to grow a beard or stash.

The closest I've come are on two week hunts or BWCA trips. Can't stand the feeling of it. I shave every day, it's awesome.

Fixed for ya. Like I GAF about your opinion.

GFY
Originally Posted by DocRocket
My young friend, I'll be gentle with you in this matter of facial hair... a [bleep]' handlebar is a huge pain in the ass to maintain and utilize. Had one for many years, I'm not goin' there again.

I mean.. geez, you know how much I spent on moustache wax a month? Not to mention, you gotta drink your unsweet tea out of a straw, and when it's time to kiss a gal, let alone lick her puzzy, you need bobby pins... I tell ya, it's a pain...

dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.......

I'm just jealous that I can't have any.
Posted By: deflave Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I believe all working men should shave.

I believe all non-working men should never shave.

End of [bleep] list.

Travis
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
grinPost before and after pitchers so's we can recognize ya grin
Then don't get pissed when the words "Butt Lip" fall out when I see you next time.
Originally Posted by deflave

End of [bleep] list.

Travis

Thank you, Obi-wan-[bleep]-konobi.

You, you smooth-shaven mofo, like I would [bleep]' care about your opinion.

But thanks for weighin' in.

GFY
And how's your tree doing ?
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.......

I'm just jealous that I can't have any.

Can't have any of what??>??

Dood.. you are livin' the life, young Jedi... you got nothing to be jealous of!!!
Can't have a hairy face.

And yes I am, but you know how "we" are....gonna find something to complain about....lol.
Posted By: Steve Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I've shaved my mustache off about twice since I've been an adult.

You will not realize how much you depend on it defining your upper lip until your tongue slips into a nostril.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinPost before and after pitchers so's we can recognize ya grin

NNNNEEEEHHHHHH!!!!

Jay-zus, Jim, dontcha know I'm tryin' to go stealth here? After my last flight (outta Logan after fishin' with the boys nawth of Bahstahn) I'm tryin' to go stealth?

Like I give a [bleep] about whether I'm recognized... jeez...
Complain away, young Jedi. I will always be here to listen. Whatever [bleep]' beardness or not.
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Thriving!! Nice damn tree! And thanks for asking!!
If it's gonna come off,. would be an opportune time to rob some banks or other such mischief....
Wait, you shave the beard your going to gain weight-----------
Then don't get pissed when the words "Butt Lip" fall out when I see you next time.

Like I would ever be pissed at you.

Mind you, I might knock your teeth out on general principles, but that's not being pissed at you. You know what pissed at you would mean.

grin
Shave it Doc...maybe grow it back for winter, maybe not. I had a beard for most of my younger years, but you won't believe how "refreshing" & cool a clean shaven face feels like after being covered with hair all those years.
I wouldn't do it, but that's just...me. grin
LOL!! Ed, you're a [bleep]' cahd... you crack me up!!!
I've had a moustache since I was 20, and a full beard since I was 23. Never shaved off the moustache even once, but the beard came off for 3 weeks when I went into med school for reasons that are hard to articulate. (But it scared the bejabbers outta my daughters that first day, I must admit.)

But this past week or six I've looked at a bunch of photos taken of me and I seriously doubt I care for my beard no more.

I haven't seen my nekkid face in the mirror since I was a no-nothing kid. Maybe it's about time to do so.

GOOD GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! shocked
Well, you're an official knuckle draggin, pogie fishing, striper slayer now, just sayin.

GFY

^^^ laugh ^^^

If you shave it all off, and it's been years, you will be surprised at how much younger you will look. Not that that is your intent, it's just a side effect... wink

I grow a beard now and then, but always keep the big stache. Last time I didn't have it was a mishap involving burning up some old black powder that was decades old. Didn't wanna throw it in the dumpster and it fall into the wrong hands. Shoulda just used it for fertilizer I realized later... grin
High praise indeed, my friend.

I expect you've heard our compadres slew the stripers off Martha's Vineyard today, the low-down sonsabitches?
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

smile

A smooth face keeps the ladies from gettin' thigh burn . . .

And you definitely know who's curleys are between your teeth.
Yeah, I hear you.. burned some hair off myself blowin' up powder overburden...

But this is different. Even when I shaved off the beard when I got into med school back in the day, I kept the 'stache. This time I'm thinkin' about the whole deal. I mean, naked-baby face. Not that I'm a baby face at this point, that's fer dang sure, no?
It is so, Amigo.

I'm afraid to shave the stache though. Afraid I'd look like a retard, that is.

Miss Lynn, I appreciate your aesthetic sensibilities... but summer's coming in and as both my daughters say, I can always grow it back...
Yeah, I hear you.. burned some hair off myself blowin' up powder overburden...

But this is different. Even when I shaved off the beard when I got into med school back in the day, I kept the 'stache. This time I'm thinkin' about the whole deal. I mean, naked-baby face. Not that I'm a baby face at this point, that's fer dang sure, no?

Break out the bic & the frozen OJ....have fun...
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Doc;
Other than your current dilemma, I trust that this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

I've been tossing around similar thoughts lately, but while my good wife voted for "the procedure" the girls threatened to disown me if I did. cry

As you might recall seeing a couple photos of me, I've had at least a fairly thick mustache continually for the past 30 plus years. These days it's accompanied by a grey goatee..... I know it's grey because the nice lady where I was renewing my BC Driver's License pronounced it thus. laugh

It might make one look younger though Doc and none of us appear to be getting younger, so I'll vote a "yea" for the motion and add that you can always grow it back if you aren't happy with it.

All the best to you and yours Doc - Happy Canada Day as an ex-pat and Happy Fourth of July to you as a current.

Dwayne

Posted By: rem141r Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
do it right. legs, chest, back, crack, brazilian, whole 9 yards. 100% hairless. no turning back.

Thriving!! Nice damn tree! And thanks for asking!!

Was it a peach,plum,pluot,plum-cot,or apricot? I forget.
I bought a couple of Pluot trees from Lowes after I got home from your place and mine are doing well too.

I call toro caca on mustache maintenance! I prefers my handle bar to be as socially unacceptable as I can get it. I may trim a wild hair out of mine every other month or so. Just to have something to do. Otherwise, my stache is like my hat crease 110 years behind the times!
Posted By: poboy Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Ah yeah, I shaved back in '83. One less thing to do.
Originally Posted by rem141r
do it right. legs, chest, back, crack, brazilian, whole 9 yards. 100% hairless. no turning back.

LOL!!

And GFY...
I can't imagine shaving my beard and mustache off. Just ain't gonna happen.

I've had a mustache since I was 17 or 18 and IIRC I think I've shaved it off only once. In the 70's I sported a fumanchu, pork chop sideburns, and only once a full beard. It was too itchy so that went away. I've done the goatee in several variations over the years and have had long and short sideburns but the stash has never been shaved.

Lately I've been thinking about shaving all the hair off my face. I haven't looked in a mirror and seen a clean shaven face since the early 80s. Worst case, I don't like it and in a couple of weeks it's back to a hairy mug.

Doc,

You're not alone. smile
Posted By: hardway Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Don't do it..... Long live the "double chin comb over".
Posted By: eyeball Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Do it Doc. It might make you handsome. grin
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Has anyone considered, shaving say, the left half, leaving the right?
A side, by side comparison if you will.
I've done a beard a few times. Always wind up getting tired of it, and shaving it off. Heck it's good to restyle yourself, every so often, so go for it.

and if it looks worse it gives me a head start competing with you for the wimmins

Posted By: Otter Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Doc - My kids have never seen me without facial hair . . . Did go to a goatee for all of one day before growing the rest of the beard back. Bride didn't like the stubble left after a shave, so I was more than willing to oblige. I do trim it up every couple of months. Personally, I find the beard acts as a radiator in the hot summers and as a face blanket in the winter. If you do shave it off, it will grow back, for sure, but how long it takes to grow back is up to your genetics. To each their own, but I ain't shaving . . . ain't much on regular haircuts, either.
Posted By: deflave Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by deflave

End of [bleep] list.

Travis

Thank you, Obi-wan-[bleep]-konobi.

You, you smooth-shaven mofo, like I would [bleep]' care about your opinion.

But thanks for weighin' in.

GFY

Fall in line with Christianity and shave your gahdamn face.

Travis
Quit shaving my upper lip when I was about 19 years old - stubble kept me licking my lip, keeping it raw. Maintained a "cookie duster" ever since. - No problem.

Mar
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I consider myself to be a wild, untamed animal.

Therefore I shave no body hair(other than my pubes).
I think most guys try the wolfman look or variations of it at least once in their life.

[Linked Image]

I had a caterpillar on my lip since I was 20 in the Army. After I got out I wore it long at the ends, tried to style it like Robert Redford as the Sundance Kid (except I was more handsome). Used to be in a local theater melodrama group, usually ended up playing the villain and didn't need any artificial hair to twirl my mustache.

Around about age 46 I shaved it off for some reason or other and the next day at the gym some cute little early 20-something told me I looked a lot younger without it.

I've been shaving the upper lip religiously since that very day.
Speaking of that, saw a guy in the gym today that was probably early 50ish. Big, really strong guy with big arms and lots of definition. Had dark hair and sideburns but this very gray full goatee. I wanted to tell him he'd probably look like he was in his early 40's without that large patch of gray on the bottom of his face, but him being a big mean looking guy I figure he could look old if'n he wanted to. wink
Posted By: 700LH Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Shave my moustache twice since I was old enough to grow one. (not counting basic)
Kissed my ex in the dark after one of those times, she freaked thinking it was some one else for a second or three.
Said it was like kissing a girl, still not sure how she knew that smile
Posted By: KDK Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Jeez, Doc, if you're gonna do it, just leave a taint scraper (soul patch) like all the cool kids are doing these day...
Be advised Doc that if you shave off the 'stache your upper lip will look enormous. You will be convinced that a good pilot could land a Cessna 182 on it!
I know, I shaved mine off once.

GFY

I have been married 34 years and no one in my wife's family have ever seen me clean shaven and only a are few alive in my family that have.

I started my beard in College 40 years ago and see no reason to change. It is neatly trimmed to 3/8" every 14 days and I trim the edges every other day but feel sorry for those that have to shave every day smile
I save baby azz slick about once a year. When I do my upper lip looks like its 3' from my nose. I only trim with my clippers in the summer the rest of the year its trim the stash just enuf to keep whisker out of my mouth when I eat.I some times wear a stash and womb broom (goatee).

once a year weather i need it or not. went to a barber for the first time in 25 years. 12 bucks for shave an haircut
Posted By: J23 Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
If I wasn't forced to shave daily by my employer, I would never shave. EVER.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I say do it. Although, I can't believe I am agreeing with the Flave on this one.
Flave is right about a lot of things, although it pains me to admit that in public.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Do it Doc. It might make you handsome. grin

GFY.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Doc;
Other than your current dilemma, I trust that this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

I've been tossing around similar thoughts lately, but while my good wife voted for "the procedure" the girls threatened to disown me if I did. cry

As you might recall seeing a couple photos of me, I've had at least a fairly thick mustache continually for the past 30 plus years. These days it's accompanied by a grey goatee..... I know it's grey because the nice lady where I was renewing my BC Driver's License pronounced it thus. laugh

It might make one look younger though Doc and none of us appear to be getting younger, so I'll vote a "yea" for the motion and add that you can always grow it back if you aren't happy with it.

All the best to you and yours Doc - Happy Canada Day as an ex-pat and Happy Fourth of July to you as a current.

Dwayne

Happy Dominion Day back atcha, Dwayne.
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
Be advised Doc that if you shave off the 'stache your upper lip will look enormous. You will be convinced that a good pilot could land a Cessna 182 on it!
I know, I shaved mine off once.

LOL!! Hadn't thought of the aviation angle. I recently read Robin Olds' autobiography... now, that was an aviator's mustache! Mine, not so much...
Posted By: efw Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
I grow a beard & shave it a few times a year. It's completely white now (I am not yet 40!!) and AI like to (half) joke that the reason I go to all the trouble is that shaving all that white hair takes 15 yrs off my face! It really does make me look younger when I keep the face bare!
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Flave is right about a lot of things, although it pains me to admit that in public.

He is becoming Carnac (Johnny Carson) like. Scary
Go for it.
Change can make you reassess your decision, as they say "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone". grin

Who knows, some young thing may want to take you home since you'll look ten years younger. Or not.

Ed
Shave that chit off.
And fer cryin' out loud, no mustache.
Posted By: colodog Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
If you go clean shaved, wouldn't you also need a new alias to go with?
Posted By: smithwr Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Hey doc I saw a video that the county commisioner took out your way. Seems the east side of the "big lake" is full for the first time in decades. Pretty neat
Posted By: okie Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14
Do it Doc....you don't have a hair on yer ass ifn ya don't!!!!! grin
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Thinking about shaving... - 06/28/14

Oh! Oh! There we have it!!!

The answer to the question!!!

The Lady has spoken and we don't want to suffer 'Ire' of the lady!!!!

That's like committing Hari Kari!!!
I've had a mustache since I was 23 and a goatee since I was 25. I used to be black - not it's all white. I know it makes me look old, but my kids have never seen me without it.
Originally Posted by KDK
Jeez, Doc, if you're gonna do it, just leave a taint scraper (soul patch) like all the cool kids are doing these day...

"taint scraper"... LOL!!
Originally Posted by smithwr
Hey doc I saw a video that the county commisioner took out your way. Seems the east side of the "big lake" is full for the first time in decades. Pretty neat

Yeah, we've had a ton of rain. Came back from a week's fishing and there was 6 inches of rainwater in my garden cart. Pretty cool.
Well, so far 22 votes for the razor, and 8 votes against.
© 24hourcampfire