Home
I cleaned and filled one of my Hummingbird feeders a little while ago and when I went out to hang it back up there were several of the little retards buzzing around where the feeder normally hangs trying to figure out where it went. Well just before I got there one of em spotted the feeder, buzzed over, and plopped down for a drink. Naturally I thought that was pretty cool so I stopped to get a good look at the little twirp and before you could say Jack Robinson a half dozen more of em had piled on leaving me standing there holding the dam thing for them like a frikin lawn jockey.

This is by far the biggest crop of Bubble birds I've had since I moved here ten years ago. I'm starting to suspect the pushy little free loaders migrated up from Mexico.
That is just neat as all get out Sir. Wish we had some here, all I see is Mocking birds, Grackles and Eurasian collared doves. Daughter does have some Downy and Pileated Woodpeckers that visit time to time on the farm
Are their backs shiny?

I have a real aggressive hummer this year, almost every time I go out to the garage he fly's in a up down u-shape and make that real loud buzzing noise with his wings, cracks me up every time.

I'm starting to think the little schit don't like me.
Try putting a couple drops of nectar in your ears before going out next time..... it'll save you bundles on q-tips.... smile
It is a little known fact that all hummingbirds vote Democrat.

Now you know why.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Are their backs shiny?

I have a real aggressive hummer this year, almost every time I go out to the garage he fly's in a up down u-shape and make that real loud buzzing noise with his wings, cracks me up every time.

I'm starting to think the little schit don't like me.

is he a copper color?
if so he is a Rufus. I have one I call hitler
T LEE,
How about sending some of those Mocking Birds up here?
Had one around several years ago, and spent many nights staying awake just to listen to him. Seemed he could go on for hours without repeating himself.
We haven't had any since that and I sure miss them.
We also haven't had any woodpeckers around that I have heard for several years. Maybe it has gotten too cityfied for the birds. I know it has for me!

Myron
Yea,,, mine are the copper colored variety. Broad Tailed as far as I can tell from the pix I found on the web. I also have a few Ruby Throated. They're the mean ones. They do everything they can to keep the others away from the feeders but they're out numbered.

Wish I had a better camera and the smarts to use it. They're so used to me I could get some great close up's.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
is he a copper color?
if so he is a Rufus. I have one I call hitler

Nope he's a Ruby.

Pics.
They are awesome creatures
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Wish I had a better camera and the smarts to use it. They're so used to me I could get some great close up's.

You should have someone take pictures while you play Lawn Jockey. grin

Gotta love the humming birds, and be grateful that they are not any larger. If they just doubled their size, we would all be in mortal danger.

On the other hand, there is almost no other bird I enjoy seeing more. They surely do not play well together, and they must think they weigh about 50 pounds.

Big hearts, and no fear.

My heroes.

Steve

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Now you know why.

They actually do some work by getting rid of mosquitos so they can't be Democrats.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Now you know why.

They actually do some work by getting rid of mosquitos so they can't be Democrats.

I have no reason to doubt what you are telling me. That being the case, if the little birds are working for an honest living, then they should not be voting Democrat.

Thanks for the correction.
Nuthin' like a hummer�...
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nuthin' like a hummer�...

I'll drink to that!

Hope all is well up your way, Poohbah.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Now you know why.

I have no reason to doubt what you are telling me. That being the case, if the little birds are working for an honest living, then they should not be voting Democrat.

Thanks for the correction.

We don't have any mesquito's here. These are just a bunch of free loaders.
I'm renaming em, "Mexican Jumping Birds".
Too hot�.but its july�. crazy
Same here, my friend.
Last summer my 2 year old daughter thought they were called humping birds....grandma said "sometimes they are" they are now forever known as humping birds. smile
[Linked Image]
You could be stuck with doves and magpies.
Our feeder gets cardinals, jays, finches -- gold and red, red bellied and pileated peckers, brown headed blackbirds, skads of sparrows and doves, plus chipmunks and squirrels and the odd hawk and owl dining on them. It is about 8' from our kitchen table and they could care less -- except to stare at me when the damn thing is empty. Oh, the guilt!

1B
Wish I could Sir, we have plenty for sure. Where we used to live before Charley we had Cardinals and Red Wing Blackbirds, I do miss their songs.
Originally Posted by Toddly
[Linked Image]

That's the same sub species the majority of mine are. Mostly green but their back's have an iridescent copper hue.
I have one feeder on the deck and one over in my little rose garden. The feeder by the roses is definitely their favorite. It gets refilled twice a day but I can get by with once a day on the other one. I'm probably feeding two or three dozen. I like having them around but there's so many this year it's starting to get kinda creepy.

THE LITTLE DEMANDING LITTLE BASTARDs ARE EVERYWHERE! eek
Hummers are the chihuahua's of the bird world, belligerent little cuss's.
That's a good picture!

Here's a great video, very peaceful and relaxing:

IF I were to hunt them, it'd be #12 shot in .22 short. Don't want to damage the meat.
[Linked Image]

We don't have too many around here. Probably too spread out because everyone in the neighborhood has a feeder.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I cleaned and filled one of my Hummingbird feeders a little while ago and when I went out to hang it back up there were several of the little retards buzzing around where the feeder normally hangs trying to figure out where it went. Well just before I got there one of em spotted the feeder, buzzed over, and plopped down for a drink. Naturally I thought that was pretty cool so I stopped to get a good look at the little twirp and before you could say Jack Robinson a half dozen more of em had piled on leaving me standing there holding the dam thing for them like a frikin lawn jockey.

This is by far the biggest crop of Bubble birds I've had since I moved here ten years ago. I'm starting to suspect the pushy little free loaders migrated up from Mexico.

Definitely Democrats..... grin
We are going to have to invest in some hummingbird and seed bird feeders. Our indoor cats will chatter and tail twitch like crazy watching them, but inside they will stay!

Goober the birdbrain dog will get pretty wired up about them, too. Family fun!

Loved the photos put up so far. Very cool.
I think there is one Youtube vid where a guy trained one to sit on his finger & eat.

I think I'd like to hang a feeder close to the lawn. Hopefully my resident rabbits would wander over and be speared by the hummers.
Cookie is chumming in the hummers (maybe 3 to 4), but it's the orioles that at costing us near gallons of nectar every day.

[Linked Image]

One of the more desired visitors.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire