Home
Couldn't access the Campfire all day until just a minute ago. Same thing happened a few days ago. Is it just me?
don't get here a lot, but no problems.
sun spots. naw, there are times but I thought it was my computer.
"24hourcampfire not responding"
happens early in the morning.
I click on my bookmark and nothing happens. Same thing with Firefox and Safari.
Hard to say where the problem lies. Earlier today the Campfire got really slow. Visited another reliable site and it was slow too. Problem magically disappeared a few minutes later so it was probably my ISP. Other times when the Campfire was slow I traced it to a router between here and there, self-healed after a few minutes too. Other times it was the Campfire, mostly but not always when Rick was making system updates.

Wish it was sunspots. We're at a solar peak but it is a very low solar peak. I miss the northern lights.
From here to there today runs through 10 different routers and any one of them can burp.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I click on my bookmark and nothing happens. Same thing with Firefox and Safari.

Same problem here.
It must be a "Rick" thing.
Not to worry it's just the NSA making a connection. grin

This to will pass.
That could be another glitch between here and there. There are nodes on the net (domain name servers) that translate "www.24hourcampfire.com" to 67.220.214.234 which is the real (IP) address the network uses to find the Campfire. Sometimes they burp too. And sometimes your ISP messes up and can't find the node to resolve the address. Connecting to a remote server is a complicated business.
Posted By: 1B Re: What's going on with this site? - 07/14/14
Same thing here -- for several months. Plus my malware and virus catchers are working overtime and, looking at the increasing number of [bleep] posting here and the obvious breakdown of security linked to ads here, I think it is past time to stand down on the cmpfire. As it is, I am lucky to get through a quick read of the few threads that interest me w/o it totally freezing up.

Yeah, I know, don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

1B

I am at the tail end of a DSL line in very rural Virginia, if that means anything. However, every other bookmark that I clicked on worked fine.
That could be a problem if the traffic on the DSL line is too heavy, but then everything would be slow. Too many possibilities to say long distance, could be all the junk ads this site likes to send. I run with shields up so I don't see that. (Firefox, Adblock Plus, NoScript, Zone Alarm for anti-virus/anti-malware)
FlaRick: I been coming here for over 11 years and never had a problem logging on.
I wonder if your computer has a glitch?
Hope you get things straightened out soon.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It isn't a glitch. There is a 15 minute span on here about 5 days ago that didn't have a single post. There is something going on, and it isn't all sunspots...
Originally Posted by nighthawk
That could be another glitch between here and there. There are nodes on the net (domain name servers) that translate "www.24hourcampfire.com" to 67.220.214.234 which is the real (IP) address the network uses to find the Campfire. Sometimes they burp too. And sometimes your ISP messes up and can't find the node to resolve the address. Connecting to a remote server is a complicated business.

be that as it may, the 'fire is the ONLY site I am having connectivity issues with. The only one. The problem is internal with the forum, not the surrounding nodes and servers.
We must be the most monitored by The Dear Leader and cohorts.

I feel kind oh honored. laugh
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

be that as it may, the 'fire is the ONLY site I am having connectivity issues with. The only one. The problem is internal with the forum, not the surrounding nodes and servers.

I'm not sure that the problem is internal with the forum, but I have experienced major hangups and freezes for over the past week that seem to be specific to the the 24hourCampfire site.

I usually click on the Hunter's Campfire and Classified lists, and I have noted that most of the day each is serving over 500 users. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I typically get great response from other sites, whether local or international.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Couldn't access the Campfire all day until just a minute ago. Same thing happened a few days ago. Is it just me?

It often takes me several times to log on. I put in my username and password, and it welcomes me to the site. The second I punch in where I want to go (hunter's forum) it says I am not logged in. Sometimes it takes 6 or more attempts. Frustrating for sure.
Looking at the other threads active today I gotta think it's one of the ad services pumping through bad scripts. I haven't had any problems but like I said I run with shields up. Don't like it, some of the ads I don't see would be helpful.
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'm not sure that the problem is internal with the forum, but I have experienced major hangups and freezes for over the past week that seem to be specific to the the 24hourCampfire site.

I usually click on the Hunter's Campfire and Classified lists, and I have noted that most of the day each is serving over 500 users. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I typically get great response from other sites, whether local or international.

In the few years I've been on this site, it's the ONLY site I've had issues with.

I quit bothering to even try with a computer. I only use my phone now. Still have intermittent issues, but much better on my phone. No matter which browser with whichever add ones I use, this site will almost never work on my desktop
I use to have a ton of problems, until I went to Firefox and Addblocker plus, then 99.9% of the problems went away. BTW, I'm still on windows XP, and nothing has fallen apart, so far.

maddog
These complaints baffle me. I've never had a problem, other than having a slow load from time to time, which I attribute to traffic level.
Well, I use Firefox and ad blocker plus and still couldn't access the site on two separate days.

I'm not sue why Mr. Bin would want to run a popular web site that requires users to block ads to make it functional. Kinda runs counter to the business model, eh?
Well I'm glad it's not just me. I've had, and continue to have, pretty much every issue that has been mentioned here.

Log on, it says welcome snubbie, I click on a page and I'm not logged on any longer. Sometimes takes 6-8 times before I stay logged on.

Get on here, it works fine for a while, then I click on a page or back or another thread and it just sits, like it's loading but takes forever. I usually get frustrated, close it and start again. In short order it repeats the process.

I have been just totally "freezing up" on my Kindle Fire. I'll read a thread, go to the next page and everything freezes. Close the site, start again, only to be repeated.

I frequently get security warnings with my antivirus.

This is the ONLY site this happens with...period. It happens with my computer, an android tablet, a kindle, I rarely use my iPhone, just too difficult to read that small.

Seems most days I get frustrated and just leave the site.
Originally Posted by snubbie
Well I'm glad it's not just me. I've had, and continue to have, pretty much every issue that has been mentioned here.

Log on, it says welcome snubbie, I click on a page and I'm not logged on any longer. Sometimes takes 6-8 times before I stay logged on.

Get on here, it works fine for a while, then I click on a page or back or another thread and it just sits, like it's loading but takes forever. I usually get frustrated, close it and start again. In short order it repeats the process.

I have been just totally "freezing up" on my Kindle Fire. I'll read a thread, go to the next page and everything freezes. Close the site, start again, only to be repeated.

I frequently get security warnings with my antivirus.

This is the ONLY site this happens with...period. It happens with my computer, an android tablet, a kindle, I rarely use my iPhone, just too difficult to read that small.

Seems most days I get frustrated and just leave the site.

I really don't think Rick Bin cares as long as he gets his checks. It would seem.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
We must be the most monitored by The Dear Leader and cohorts.

I feel kind oh honored. laugh
yup...slow /can't get on a week or so ago ... dear leader is buying stock in lime and tarps ...so I hear..
same thing this morning ...
I can imagine all manner of "organizations" that would love to see every site like this shut down, from PETA to the US Atty General's office.

It is not beyond the stretch of my imagination that there are small armies of computer nerds employed to try to hack, infect, and otherwise contaminate sites deemed "unacceptable". And I'm not even a conspiracy nut.
© 24hourcampfire