Home
Posted By: okok Johnny Manziel.....stud or dud? - 07/27/14
I think he'll be a dud.
Agree.
Yep.
Just wait till those 350lb black guys pound his a$$ a few times,he will be wanting a new job.
Time will tell. Always does, and it's the only thing that does.

That said, being in Cleveland is starting behind the eight-ball.
Originally Posted by okok
I think he'll be a dud.

Out of curiosity, how did you think Russel Wilson would fare against the physics of the NFL?

I think the lad is going to find out that they don't play 'Johnny football' in the NFL. They play big boy games. This won't end well.
If he doesn't get injured early in his career by cheap shots from frustrated defenses I think he'll do great.
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
I think he'll be a dud.

Out of curiosity, how did you think Russel Wilson would fare against the physics of the NFL?

Russell is more compact and has huge hands and elusive..very tough to get a squared up hit on him. He mostly runs when plays break down, unlike Kraperdick and Manziel. Russell also has a top 5-7 strong arm.
I'm guessing dud! Plus, he's a douche!
I think he'll be a dud.

Russell is more compact and has huge hands and elusive..very tough to get a squared up hit on him. He mostly runs when plays break down, unlike Kraperdick and Manziel. Russell also has a top 5-7 strong arm.

Manziel had the biggest hands in the draft.
Originally Posted by remfak
I'm guessing dud! Plus, he's a douche!

Yep.

I think he'll be humbled in the NFL. wink
Russel is a great little QB. Also take a look at Drew Brees. Those two have proved that you don't have to be 6'5" and 245 lbs to play QB in the NFL.
Hell, Joe Montanna proved that time and time again!
And they all have Super Bowl Rings to prove it!

That being said, I think Manziel is one tough dude, and will take some big shots in the Pro's his first season, by those DF players wanting to "take him out" .

Will he survive? Only time will tell. But he did have one of the best arms in College FB and did make some incredible throws from awkward positions. He reminds me of more of a Brett Favre type of QB

Personally, I'd like to see him mature and succeed. Training Camp and his first NFL Season, especially with the last place Browns will be interesting to say the least. And of course, with me being an Aggie, I'm Definately biased. But I sincerely hope Manzeil does well and shows all the Manzeil haters who love to pile on what he can really do.

Haters are gonna Hate, regardless of how well he does. Just Sayin.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I think he'll be a dud.

That, and Manziel is more stout than Wilson. I was a huge fan of RW coming out of college (including NC State) because of his brains and the way he runs an offense. That said, JM has similarly huge hands and is more stout/compact than RW.
I think he'll be a dud.

Russell had the biggest hands of all of the QB'S during his draft...there like grizz paws.
Johnny opens against the Steelers�I hope they welcome him accordingly.
Manziel doesn't have the mental game to be an NFL stud. End of story.
Russell is 5' 11" 208
Manziel is 6' 210. I would say RW is a bit more stout.
RW: Hands = 10.25"; height = 5' 10.5" ; weight = 204 lbs; 40 = 4.55

JM: Hands = 9.88"; height = 5' 11.75"; weight = 207 lbs; 40 = 4.56

Numbers from their NFL combine.
But in maturity Wilson is light years ahead of JM IMHO. That is going to take time to over-come, and he may be pounded into a puddle by then.
Mink;

No disagreement at all. RW also landed in a far better situation that JM.
No doubt about that.
I have my doubts about him, but sometimes it take time to see if someone develops or if they are a dud.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I'd like to see him mature and succeed.

Me too.
We're talking like he is going to be the starter? He may play but the Browns are saying he is the second team QB. That usually means he get to play when the game is "in hand." He may be waiting quite a while for that to happen. When he does get in, as an SEC fan I hope he does well. But I think his mouth off the field will get him hurt on the field. Time will tell.
His partying and attitude is interfering with his learning the Pro system. From what I've read, no way he's going to start, might not even back-up

His "scrambling" is going to get him amputated at the knees...
I don't watch sports much anymore, but there's no doubt, Manziel is a great athlete. I watched him a couple of times just to see what the talk was about. He has a tremendous skill set and you don't see many white players that are as athletic as him. If he gets his mind right he'll go a long way with the right team.

If he ends up as a "stud" or "dud" will all depend on his mental focus and the team surrounding him.
I haven't followed the draft that well. All I got to say is this: If the Browns drafted Johnny Foosball when they already had a better guy to play QB than him and they're in last place...well, that may be WHY they're in last place. Flying [bleep], unless they were trading him off that's a damned stupid move for a last place team.
All I can say is I'm glad the Vikes drafted Teddy Bridgewater instead of Johnny Football. Teddy has been in MN since like the day after the draft studying the playbook while JFF has been in Vegas partying. TB may not start the season but he should overtake Cassel before long.
I've been saying for a while that I think he is gonna be a great one. I will add this thread to my list of favorites so I can say "I told you so" one day.
You can thank the Hawks for trading down and letting you take Bridgewater. I don't know much about him. Good luck!
He'll suck.
He could be the 21st Century Fran Tarkington IF he stays healthy.
Originally Posted by mirage243
I've been saying for a while that I think he is gonna be a great one. I will add this thread to my list of favorites so I can say "I told you so" one day.

Not sure why you need to tell me "I told you so" but I sure hope you're right!

grin
You can thank the Hawks for trading down and letting you take Bridgewater. I don't know much about him. Good luck!

Yes I spose I can although it's yet to be seen what he can do.

All signs point towards a real, dedicated NFL QB. One who can go through his reads quickly and throw an accurate ball. He doesn't rely on running out of the pocket every play. He stands tall and let's the routes develop first. But it's not live NFL action yet so who knows?
He'll suck.

Who will suck? TB or JFF?
Originally Posted by Rooster7
He'll suck.

Yeah I should've clarified...

Bridgewater will suck.

Manziel has a shot at being good but he's such a douchebag at this point who can predict the outcome?

Originally Posted by Rooster7
He'll suck.

Yeah I should've clarified...

Bridgewater will suck.

Hater...

grin
He peaked the day he was drafted by Cleveland.
He gon get bused. Maynot this year, but by the nexun mornlikly.
You guys are talking about the NFL right? Do they allow you to hit a QB anymore? Statistically, he won't be all that and a Drew Brees doesn't come around too often. The Steelers might wake him up.

Who Dat Nation.
My prediction is that he's gonna wind up with his Dick in his watchpocket!!
The guy is 21. Of course he's a little bit immature. I was an idiot at 21 too.

Personally I hope he grows up quick and plays well.

He plays hard and is a competitor and I think he'll do very well in the long run.

Lotta smaller sized guys playing. Brees, Wilson, ect.
I like the kid.

He's a hell of a ball player and physical talent. Unfortunately, the Browns had one of the worst rushing offenses ever last year. I wouldn't look for miracles.

Yeah but he has had a taste of this, so he is more man than I...

[Linked Image]

I vote Stud...
I can't believe I am the first to post a pic either...

Next his mom...
And now I think I may be confused because here is another (and not his mother)...

[Linked Image]
Sweet lord have mercy....

My pants are getting tight.
I think he will be a lot like a shorter and slower Terrelle Prior. Meaning, a unique spot player who will occassionally be able to make amazing plays and make something good out of a broken or properly defensed play. But, like Prior, not really able to be "the guy" for a team for a whole season.

And in this league, you do not get to be an immature 20-something for very long! If you dont put your nose in the playbooks, pay your dues in the film room, get your reads and check downs right and FAST - really soon - you will be unemployed really damned fast.

I don't have a dog in the fight, not a Browns fan etc. but I do not have warm fuzzies about him.

QB's who had amazing skillsets in college who did not then work hard from day one, relying on past success and fancy schtick too much:

Ryan Leaf

Jamarcus Russel (could throw a ball through the goalposts from 70 yards away while on his KNEES!

Todd Blackmon

Terrelle Pryor

There are many, many more in the scrap heap of the NFL's wasteland. The guys still playing at a high level late in life, like Peyton Manning, NE Patriots guy (name escapes me right now) Are good solid stand in the pocket, shift a bit if you have to, then DELIVER the football where it is supposed to go! When I guy takes off out of the pocket, the whole play goes down the tubes and the O lineman are much more likely to hold, the WR's have to figure out a new spot to go to, usually running TOWARD the QB, The gloves are largely off as far as hitting said QB as he is now a RB etc..... Not the way to consistently win a bunch of ball games.

I wish the Raiders could have talked TP into staying as a option read change of pace QB/no QB (Wildcat)formation/TE or WR who would on occassion get to throw off of an end around play OR run like HAIL with the ball! He could have done some damage.

If the Browns are smart enough to use little Johnny in this way he could make an impact. My opinion, anyway.
Originally Posted by safariman
Jamarcus Russel (could throw a ball through the goalposts from 70 yards away while on his KNEES!

Million dollar arm, ten cent head.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by safariman

Million dollar arm, ten cent head.

Perzactly.

Terelle Prior was working and studying his butt off. I think that Seattle got a good backup QB who they could use sporadically in special situations like I mentioned above and do even MORE damage in the NFL this year than they did last. I still something of a career for Terelle.
Pryor is an overrated idiot, even as a back-up.

Additionally, I'm old enough to remember Fran Tarkenton of the Vikings-small but elusive and a play maker. JM could turn out to be similar the fact that he acts like a spoiled frat boy not withstanding.
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Just wait till those 350lb black guys pound his a$$ a few times,he will be wanting a new job.

I think the only thing he'll accomplish is selling #2 jerseys for this year . . .
Originally Posted by supercrewd
And now I think I may be confused because here is another (and not his mother)...

[Linked Image]

She belongs to that Bama dude. I have 2 reasons to hate him now, but he is smart enough to shop for women in Auburn. Worked for me.
Originally Posted by Mink
But in maturity Wilson is light years ahead of JM IMHO.

Yes sir. Wilson displayed more maturity in the 7th grade than Manziel has today.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Additionally, I'm old enough to remember Fran Tarkenton of the Vikings-small but elusive and a play maker. JM could turn out to be similar the fact that he acts like a spoiled frat boy not withstanding.

I've often wondered how Tarkenton would fare in today's NFL.
With the players being bigger, stronger and faster, I think he might have a short career.

Not saying that JFF will have a short career but he's going to get hit and hit hard when he scrambles.
Being from Texas I hope he does well.

Neil
Stud
My first reaction is dud. But he reminds me a little of Joe Namath in some ways. Brash, cocky and arrogant. But Namath proved on the field that he could back it up and eventually won over doubters. JM will either go one way or the other. He sure won't be an average QB.
© 24hourcampfire