Home
His name was David Hancock and we became friends in the early 'sixties when he was posted to Young County. In fact, this is where he served his entire career.

Back then, Tx Game Wardens were not armed, at least openly, and concerned themselves strictly with enforcing fish and game laws.

I asked him once if it was true that they were the only officers who could search a home without a warrant.

His answer: "YEAH, BUT IF WE DO, WE DAMN WELL BETTER FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR".
had one stop by my buddy Geoff house during this past duck season, it was Geoff's birthday, he told us we didn't have to worry about shooting over the limit for that one day. we still only killed our limits. good to have one as friend.
Posted By: KFWA Re: What A Tx Game Warden Told Me - 10/10/14
I am friends with a Tennessee game warden.

He encourages us to shoot wild boars onsite, regardless of where or when.

Since I don't live in Tennessee, its a moot point I guess.
That's 'cause they can't, and never could, although they sure tricked a lot of people into thinking so. The Constitution says otherwise.
Not even in "Hot pursuit"?
Not any different than any other LEO.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That's 'cause they can't, and never could, although they sure tricked a lot of people into thinking so. The Constitution says otherwise.

I had a Game Warden search the toolboxes on my truck at a game check station once. I thought he was looking for tape to re attach the tag to my deer. He said no, he was just checking to see if I had other game I hadn't claimed.

I asked 2 friends of mine what the legal requirements are of Game Wardens. One was a judge, the other a highway patrolman. They both told me that Game Wardens had to abide by the same laws as any other law enforcement agency. I think actions like this helps smear the reputation of Game Wardens, they choose to do this on their own...
Not any different than any other LEO.

Word.

This ought to be a lively, uninformed discussion though... wink
They really take advantage of that myth. You'll notice that they'll normally word their delivery with something like "Alright, can I look at your fish, now?" or something like that. It's technically a request for consent, and perfectly legal. The problem is that most people don't realize they have the right to refuse.
used to know a number of Florida F&G guys back in the day. Everyone a standup man, smart, dedicated, and true outdoorsmen.
Today, at least in Florida, they are all kids, half of 'em are women, and they don't seem to know a damn thing about the outdoors.
It has become just another good government job.
This is a pretty good explanation of what wardens are allowed to do and not do.

It all hinges on probable cause, as with any other search by a peace officer.

http://www.okgamewarden.com/PastIssues/2005-Issue2/Search_and_Seizure.html
They really take advantage of that myth. You'll notice that they'll normally word their delivery with something like "Alright, can I look at your fish, now?" or something like that. It's technically a request for consent, and perfectly legal. The problem is that most people don't realize they have the right to refuse.

Yeah, they tend to use verbal consent to search, at least more than other peace officers.

I very rarely used verbal and got them to sign a written consent to search.

Very surprisingly most guilty people would sign that. (Did they think I was going to miss finding the evidence?) wink
Good link. Everybody needs to read it.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yeah, they tend to use verbal consent to search, at least more than other peace officers.

I very rarely used verbal and got them to sign a written consent to search.

Very surprisingly most guilty people would sign that. (Did they think I was going to miss finding the evidence?) wink

Nope...they think is they say "Sure, go ahead and search.", you'll say "Ahh...just kiddin'.". laugh
But then there is their "trespass" on private land.

Yeah, I really liked THIS part: " a person's home is the most sacred and protected place under Fourth Amendment law."

grin

Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Right? "Curtilage" is an interesting issue from a legal standpoint.

I've known David to shut down a pumping unit when a stuffing box was leaking oil out onto the ground. In one instance, when he returned and found the pumping unit restarted and still leaking, he cut the belts on it!
This is a pretty good explanation of what wardens are allowed to do and not do.

It all hinges on probable cause, as with any other search by a peace officer.

http://www.okgamewarden.com/PastIssues/2005-Issue2/Search_and_Seizure.html
Thanks for that.
I've told the brown shirts 'NO' more than a few times. I had NOTHING but miserable experiences with the SOB's in Alaska.

Around here, all gates are locked but the Wardens have keys. I expect the landowners furnish them, but I've never asked. I've ridden with one of our locals a couple of times to show him where hunters were camped. I offered to open the comb. lock, but he had a key to another lock.

In fact, he had more keys than a burglar on a big old ring.
Here the Game Wardens can't trespass without permission, or without seeing an obvious blatant game violation take place, last I heard anyway.
Ours may get around it by claiming they are searching for a pollution source on a watershed.

Ain't no place that's NOT on a watershed, as far as I can tell.
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag. Had a friend cruising her property looking for coyotes and got stopped. It's cattle ground and they were calving. Guy swore up and down that her 32 special her Daddy gave her when she was 10 would have been confiscated if she had been on public land.

Ask them and they will tell you that carrying that rifle shows intent to take. Never mind that a person has the right to keep and bear arms. If someone has a deer down and no tag throw the book at em. Seriously. Lock em up for a good long while. But if I want to take a stroll with a rifle in the woods I don't even want to worry about some a-hole possibly with a camera crew (National Geographic films their show around here)busting my chops about it. I'm very pro LEO, but between the show, the name change to "Fish and Wildlife" and one idiot around here that wants to make a name for himself, I've ended up with a real distaste for those guys.

^^^^^^^

Dats Kali for ya!
Yep, I'll go anywhere I damn well please with a firearm on my property at anytime of the day or night.

I've had them do the same with me several times in Alaska. You have to remember there is SOMETHING in season 11 months of the year where I was at.

One time a brown shirt jumped out (he was hiding), whilst I was headed to the skiff with a rifle and rod in hand. He said 'Let me see your hunting license' I said no and that I don't have one with me. He said 'it's bear season, I need to see your license'

I told him 'I'm not bear hunting', he then went on again about seeing my license. I told him I have a rubber in my wallet too, but that doesn't mean I'm [bleep].

Another stopped me (I was on an ATV with a rifle strapped to it). He then asked, 'Are you hunting?', I said no, I'm riding. He asked why I had the rifle and I asked why he had a gun?

I told I'm I would be hunting in about an hour if he wanted to check me then.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag.

State law in Nebraska bars carry of loaded centerfire rifles during firearm deer season if you don't have an active deer tag.

During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag.

State law in Nebraska bars carry of loaded centerfire rifles during firearm deer season if you don't have an active deer tag.

During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns.

Those kinds of laws are bullshit. If hogs are considered shoot on sight vermin, why should I have to pay the state's deer toll to shoot the hogs off my property?
I don't read that, it says 'Only Hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer etc etc'

Where the [bleep] does it say you can't carry a rifle or handgun?

So if you have a CC permit, going for a hike, you have to have an unfilled deer permit?

Lots of reasons to carry a firearm that don't involve hunting.

Hmm.. US Supreme Court doesn't say that as far as I can tell.

http://www.sportsmenvote.com/news/u-s-supreme-court-move-backs-game-warden-power/

The claim of an unconstitutional search by a San Diego fisherman who got caught with an out-of-season lobster was rebuffed Monday by the U. S. Supreme Court.

In denying review, the high court let stand a California Supreme Court opinion in June that people who hunt and fish have fewer of the privacy rights guaranteed by the U. S. Constitution�s Fourth Amendment.

The state high court granted game wardens the authority to stop, question and search citizens without a warrant or even without probable cause to believe a law has been broken.

All the warden needs, the California court ruled, is knowledge that a person is or has been fishing or hunting.

The need to protect wildlife for future generations outweighs the comparatively minor intrusion on a citizen�s Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure, wrote state Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye.

The opinion overturned rulings by two lower courts.

If the Supreme Court won't shoot it down, then you're on shaky ground. It's going to go state by state.

If somebody has other case law from the Supreme Court, I'd love to see it.
It's a good bet that carrying a firearm where there is something that could be hunted is de facto hunting in brownshirt minds.
The above is correct, especially in a WMA or National park, National Forest or refuge. You have no rights in these places nor in a boat.
Originally Posted by mathman
Those kinds of laws are bullshit. If hogs are considered shoot on sight vermin, why should I have to pay the state's deer toll to shoot the hogs off my property?

Well, hogs aren't shoot on sight vermin in Nebraska. We don't have feral hogs, and if you do run across one and shoot it you'll be prosecuted. But let's stick with coyotes, which are shoot on sight..

You have 356 days a year to hunt and shoot them. 9 days a year you are restricted from hunting them unless you have a deer tag. State sets the rules.

Well, hogs aren't shoot on sight vermin in Nebraska. We don't have feral hogs, and if you do run across one and shoot it you'll be prosecuted. But let's stick with coyotes, which are shoot on sight..

You have 356 days a year to hunt and shoot them. 9 days a year you are restricted from hunting them unless you have a deer tag. State sets the rules.

People traffic cocaine. You're a person. So you might traffic cocaine. How about we just suspend the fourth amendment for nine days a year so we can check everybody out?
Calhoun,

The Supreme Court ruled the officer had probable cause.

http://www.wonews.com/t-PerspectiveReport_DFGWardens_090111.aspx

That is the basis of all warrantless searches.

That was what the OP was stating as well.... I asked him once if it was true that they were the only officers who could search a home without a warrant.

His answer: "YEAH, BUT IF WE DO, WE DAMN WELL BETTER FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR".

That means if he didn't have probable cause he couldn't conduct a warrantless search.
Maybe that's why Ol' David showed up in Court with one dove he retrieved from under the seat of Monty Cooper's car and the Judge sent Monty to the pen.

You can bet Monty didn't give him permission to search.
Originally Posted by Strick9
The above is correct, especially in a WMA or National park, National Forest or refuge. You have no rights in these places nor in a boat.

I don't care about state owned land.

If you have a rifle that doesn't mean you are hunting, if walking your own property.

Killing a rabid raccoon doesn't mean one is hunting.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I had a Game Warden search the toolboxes on my truck at a game check station once. I thought he was looking for tape to re attach the tag to my deer. He said no, he was just checking to see if I had other game I hadn't claimed.

I asked 2 friends of mine what the legal requirements are of Game Wardens. One was a judge, the other a highway patrolman. They both told me that Game Wardens had to abide by the same laws as any other law enforcement agency. I think actions like this helps smear the reputation of Game Wardens, they choose to do this on their own...

Not true. They only need probable cause. See State v. Boyer
Calhoun,

The Supreme Court ruled the officer had probable cause.

http://www.wonews.com/t-PerspectiveReport_DFGWardens_090111.aspx

That is the basis of all warrantless searches.

That was what the OP was stating as well.... I asked him once if it was true that they were the only officers who could search a home without a warrant.

That means if he didn't have probable cause he couldn't conduct a warrantless search.

That's a reporter's conclusion... but as I read it straight from the California State Supreme Court decision:

For the reasons discussed below, we conclude that the Court of Appeal erred in determining that, under the applicable California statutes and the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution, a game warden may make such a vehicle stop only if the warden is aware of facts that give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the angler or hunter has violated a fish and game statute or regulation.   As we shall explain, California authority has interpreted the relevant statute as authorizing a stop of a vehicle occupied by an angler or hunter for such purposes, and the United States Supreme Court has held in a number of decisions that an administrative search or seizure may be conducted, consistent with the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of reasonable suspicion that a violation of a statute or administrative regulation has occurred.   Such administrative searches and seizures are permissible when (1) the governmental action serves a special and important state need and interest distinct from the state's ordinary interest in enforcing the criminal law, (2) the administrative rules or regulations that are required to achieve the state's interest are of such a nature that limiting inspection only to those persons reasonably suspected of committing a violation would seriously undermine the state's ability to meet its special need, and (3) the impingement upon the reasonable expectation of privacy of those subjected to the procedure is sufficiently limited such that the state's need to utilize the procedure outweighs the invasion which the search entails, thus rendering the procedure reasonable for purposes of the Fourth Amendment.

Applying these principles in the present context, we conclude that (1) the state's interest in protecting and preserving the wildlife of this state for the benefit of current and future generations of California residents and visitors constitutes a special and important state interest and need that is distinct from the state's ordinary interest in crime control, (2) the administrative regulations that are required to serve this interest � involving, for example, limits on the number, size, and species of fish or game that may be taken at different times and in different locations � are of such a nature that they would be impossible to adequately enforce if a game warden could stop, and could demand to be shown all fish or game that have been caught by, only those anglers and hunters who the warden reasonably suspected had violated the fish and game laws, and (3) the impingement upon privacy engendered by such a stop and demand procedure is minimal because (i) the stops are limited to those persons who have voluntarily chosen to engage in the heavily regulated activity of fishing or hunting and as a consequence have a diminished reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to items directly related to such activity, and (ii) the required demands are limited to items directly related to fishing and hunting and do not require disclosure of intimate or confidential matters as to which such persons retain a substantial privacy interest.

Even if we assume that a game warden's stop of a car in which an angler or hunter is riding entails a greater intrusion on privacy than a stop of an angler or hunter who is on foot, we conclude that when, as in this case, the vehicle stop is made reasonably close in time and location to the fishing or hunting activity, the encroachment upon an angler's or hunter's reasonable expectation of privacy resulting from a brief vehicle stop and demand is nonetheless rather modest, and no more intrusive than other actions by game wardens that have been upheld in past California cases.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-supreme-court/1571450.html
Looks to me like the reporter was quoting the SC ruling. Not making it up as he went...

But, whatever.

Here is what the Supreme Court said:

"As noted above, after stopping defendant's vehicle Fleet asked defendant whether he had any fish or lobsters in his car and defendant responded that he did not. Because Fleet had personally observed defendant catch either a fish or a lobster on the pier, place the item in a black bag, take the bag to his vehicle in the pier parking lot, and drive out of the lot, Fleet reasonably believed that defendant was lying to him when he denied having any fish or lobsters in his vehicle. Under these circumstances, Fleet had probable cause to believe (1) that defendant was in violation of section 2012 requiring a person to exhibit his catch upon demand, (2) that evidence of that violation was reasonably likely to be present in the black bag into which the game warden had seen defendant place his catch, and (3) that the black bag was reasonably likely to be in the vehicle defendant was driving away from the pier.

Accordingly, Fleet's ensuing search of defendant's vehicle for the black bag, his search of the black bag itself, and his discovery and seizure of the unlawfully taken lobster from inside the bag all were supported by probable cause and thus did not violate the Fourth Amendment."

So, you can't walk around your property with a concealed handgun during deer season if you don't have a hunting license?

Bullsheit.
Looks to me like the reporter was quoting the SC ruling. Not making it up as he went...

But, whatever.

Missed that at the end. Thx.

So:
1) The ruling states unequivocably that wardens can make administrative searches without probable cause.
2) But in this specific case, the warden is judged to have had probable cause.

So.. again, that state has a ruling on the books that wardens can make an administrative search without probable cause in order to verify possession and size limits.

Which is exactly what I've been told by Nebraska wardens that they can do. They can't search a residence, but they have the right to search any coolers/freezers/etc of anybody with a hunting or fishing permit. Said the Fourth Amendment didn't come into it because your purchase of the hunting/fishing permit was basically a contract stating you would allow such searches.

But.. IANAL.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So, you can't walk around your property with a concealed handgun during deer season if you don't have a hunting license?

Bullsheit.

It's my understanding that concealed carry doesn't count as "hunting". Lots of folks doing open carry of handguns nowadays with the advent of mountain lions throughout the state, so at some point I'm sure that will end up in court.

But, whatever.

Missed that at the end. Thx.

So:
1) The ruling states unequivocably that wardens can make administrative searches without probable cause.
2) But in this specific case, the warden is judged to have had probable cause.

So.. again, that state has a ruling on the books that wardens can make an administrative search without probable cause in order to verify possession and size limits.

Which is exactly what I've been told by Nebraska wardens that they can do. They can't search a residence, but they have the right to search any coolers/freezers/etc of anybody with a hunting or fishing permit. Said the Fourth Amendment didn't come into it because your purchase of the hunting/fishing permit was basically a contract stating you would allow such searches.

But.. IANAL.

I think you would find that the limit of that administrative search would be be regulated to someone a conservation officer sees either hunting or fishing.
IE: if he sees someone fishing, he can then stop and search them for fish, a fishing license and such.

Or possibly more related, a boating safety inspection. Simpky being on the water in a boat is enough to get stopped and "checked"

Bullsheit.

Every state that I hunt allows CCW during hunting seasons (even without a tag), but you cannot use the CCW to hunt with.
The contacts with every TXDPW wardens over the span of 34 years, or so have been great. Hunting, fishing, didn't matter. Couldn't ask for better guys to deal with.

The MFing WIDNR up in WI, another story all together. Jackbooted pricks with a chip the size of Lake Superior on their shoulders, save for maybe one or two over that same span.

Never a game citation of any sort in either state. WI guys are just toxic sunzabitches even to a twelve year old kid in his first year hunting.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I think you would find that the limit of that administrative search would be be regulated to someone a conservation officer sees either hunting or fishing.
IE: if he sees someone fishing, he can then stop and search them for fish, a fishing license and such.

Or possibly more related, a boating safety inspection. Simpky being on the water in a boat is enough to get stopped and "checked"

Here is the exact Nebraska law:

37-607. Conservation and peace officers; duty to arrest; powers.

It shall be the duty of every conservation officer and any other peace officer to arrest any person whom he or she has reason to believe has committed a violation of the Game Law and, with or without a warrant, to open, enter, and examine all camps, wagons, cars, stages, tents, packs, warehouses, stores, outhouses, stables, barns and other places, boxes, barrels, and packages where he or she has reason to believe any game, fish, or raw furs, taken or held in violation of the Game Law, are to be found and to seize the same, except that a dwelling house actually occupied can be entered only upon authority of a search warrant.

So, is "reason to believe any game, fish, or raw furs, taken or held in violation of the Game Law" the same as probable cause?

PS: And I do see that the OP and ltpowell were correct for Nebraska, no searches of homes without warrants. Barns and outbuildings and vehicles though don't need warrants.
So, is "reason to believe any game, fish, or raw furs, taken or held in violation of the Game Law" the same as probable cause?

Yes, and I suspect that some of the listed places that can be searched without warrant will not stand if challenged, at least without exigent circumstances.

Here is the exact Nebraska law:

37-607. Conservation and peace officers; duty to arrest; powers.

It shall be the duty of every conservation officer and any other peace officer to arrest any person whom he or she has reason to believe has committed a violation of the Game Law and, with or without a warrant, to open, enter, and examine all camps, wagons, cars, stages, tents, packs, warehouses, stores, outhouses, stables, barns and other places, boxes, barrels, and packages where he or she has reason to believe any game, fish, or raw furs, taken or held in violation of the Game Law, are to be found and to seize the same, except that a dwelling house actually occupied can be entered only upon authority of a search warrant.

To my reading. Yes.

and I think Patnis right too.

If he just willy-nilly walks into a barn that search will likely get tossed. However, if he sees a bloody drag mark leading into the barn, or what looks like deer hair on the barn door, that search will probably stand

Posted By: KFWA Re: What A Tx Game Warden Told Me - 10/10/14
interesting stuff

Yes, and I suspect that some of the listed places that can be searched without warrant will not stand if challenged, at least without exigent circumstances.

So.. an anonymous tip would let him search outbuildings/vehicles/etc without a warrant, but not a house. Which is more power than a normal LEO, right? Just not a huge amount of additional power.

This is where the myth of "enhanced authority" comes from. In most cases, it is much cheaper to pay the fine than it is to challenge the regulations in court.

Most states don't require a license to hunt your own property.
Don't believe all the crap you read here without checking the real facts first

So.. an anonymous tip would let him search outbuildings/vehicles/etc without a warrant, but not a house. Which is more power than a normal LEO, right? Just not a huge amount of additional power.

Maybe. A Nebraska LEO would be more qualified to answer that. I suspect it is just law that hasn't been challenged yet. As Gadfly mentioned, there are lots of bad "rules" out there that are contrary to the law. I suspect the first time a Nebraska GW finds a ton of cocaine in an out building while looking for a pheasant, things will change.

IMO. No, an anonymous tip is not enough PC. It may give reason to go talk to the guy, and use my eyes to see anything in plain view that may give PC to search.

As an example.

While not Game law related. Some months go I was dispatched to a residence to speak with a cab driver who stated he was stiffed on a fare when he dropped the guy off at the house I responded to. I knocked on the door, guy opened door, and in plain viee was a stack of cash and 3 kilos of Heroin. At that point I could enter the house and seize the contraband without a warrant. Because

I was in a aplace i was legally permitted to be( on the porch, knocking at the door to speek with an individual named in an investigation.

B. i had legal access to the contraband( when he opened the door the coffee table came into "plain view".

C. There was sufficient cause to believe the subject matter was contraband.( Size, shape, and color of packages were indicitive of narcotics, the money, digital scales and packaging materials were indicitive of drug distribution paraphanalia.

Originally Posted by Snyper

Name a fee States that don't require a license to hunt your own land, aside from farm tags
[quote=Calhoun

As an example.

While not Game law related. Some months go I was dispatched to a residence to speak with a cab driver who stated he was stiffed on a fare when he dropped the guy off at the house I responded to. I knocked on the door, guy opened door, and in plain viee was a stack of cash and 3 kilos of Heroin. At that point I could enter the house and seize the contraband without a warrant. Because

I was in a aplace i was legally permitted to be( on the porch, knocking at the door to speek with an individual named in an investigation.

B. i had legal access to the contraband( when he opened the door the coffee table came into "plain view".

C. There was sufficient cause to believe the subject matter was contraband.( Size, shape, and color of packages were indicitive of narcotics, the money, digital scales and packaging materials were indicitive of drug distribution paraphanalia.

As an aside.
Technically you are not lawfully present inside his house and therefore can't seize his drugs unless he invited you in.
Plain view is a seizure exception not a search warrant exception. You would need to argue exigent circumstances in order to enter. But this is all way off topic.

Montana's statute.
"A warden may search, without a warrant, any tent not used as a residence, any boat, vehicle, box, locker, basket, creel, crate, game bag, or package, or their contents upon probable cause to believe that any fish and game law or department rule for the protection, conservation, or propagation of game, fish, birds, or fur-bearing animals has been violated."

And the Montana supreme Court case:
"The defendant argued, inter alia, that the trial court erred by denying his motion to suppress evidence because the game warden illegally stepped onto his boat and conducted an inspection of his catch. The supreme court disagreed. In attempting to inspect the defendant's catch, the warden merely placed a foot upon the transom of the boat, an exterior platform which was readily accessible to the public. In so doing, the warden did not disturb any personal property or gain access to any place not readily visible from a higher vantage point. Once the warden lawfully stepped on the transom, he could see into the open live well. That plain view observation revealed that the defendant possessed additional fish, in excess of his legal limit. The observation allowed the warden to remove the excess fish from the live well and issue the unlawfully killed game fish citation. Therefore, the trial court did not err in denying the defendant's motion to suppress."

Name a fee States that don't require a license to hunt your own land, aside from farm tags

In AL no license is required to hunt your own land. Would guess that it is required that you record the deer just like any other, but a purchased license isn't needed. I rarely do anything on my land without taking a rifle along.

I guess I've been lucky with the game warden's I've met. They've all been super nice. They generally ask to check fish (count and length) when I'm crappie fishing. I've never thought to tell them no. They've checked rifles before when driving out of a WMA to make sure they weren't loaded and muzzleloaders had no caps on them while in the vehicle. I remember one was really interested in the .358 Win I used when he was checking the deer...seemed like a gun nut and was very polite.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Yeah, I really liked THIS part: " a person's home mosque is the most sacred and protected place under Fourth Amendment law."

grin

Updated.
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
[quote=Calhoun

As an example.

As an aside.
Technically you are not lawfully present inside his house and therefore can't seize his drugs unless he invited you in.
Plain view is a seizure exception not a search warrant exception. You would need to argue exigent circumstances in order to enter. But this is all way off topic.

I said it was a seizure and not a search. But at the point of seeing the drugs when he opened the door i then could legally go in and seize it because I observed a felony (possession)

Originally Posted by Snyper

Every midwestern state near me requires a permit to hunt game even on your own land, to the best of my knowledge. Most have a much lower priced landowner permit available, but definitely can't just shoot everything you see.
Landowners here can hunt their own land without a license except for game which is required to be tagged [deer and turkey] and migratory birds.

Leastwise, that's how it used to be.
Apparently the G&F Wardens around here run a pretty thorough reconnaissance/investigative program, they don't fu-k with law abiding hunters and landowners.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Not true. They only need probable cause. See State v. Boyer

This changes nothing of the Constitutionality of our 4th amendment rights. There are thousands of violations daily of our rights. A court decision can stand if the challenge of it's constitutionality is never tried. The sanctity of our 4th amendment rights hang on the loosely interpreted "Probable Cause"...
The sad part is that in most instances, the armed citizen exercising his right to defend himself in his home is reluctant to fire his gun.

The cops don't show that restraint, and the wrong guy gets killed.

I don't need one.
Posted By: CCCC Re: What A Tx Game Warden Told Me - 10/10/14
The sad part is that in most instances, the armed citizen exercising his right to defend himself in his home is reluctant to fire his gun. The cops don't show that restraint, and the wrong guy gets killed.

Unfortunately, you are WAY too correct regarding the restraint differential. There have been too many recent examples of police seemingly going way beyond reasonable measures. Maybe it's just that we are seeing longstanding reality because of personal media devices and the internet. That stuff sure can make it rough on the good cops.

On your OP, I wish our G&F troops here would behave like those in some other states - as game wardens - instead of the heavy LEO emphasis with the armament, strutting, etc. When we (deliberately) ask themn questions about game, ranges, habitat, etc. they show little to zero knowledge most of the time. But, they seem to know everything about their "regs" and the law, and every road checkpoint is a dismal negative.

Georgia doesn't require a hunting license for hunting your own property.
Landowners here can hunt their own land without a license except for game which is required to be tagged [deer and turkey] and migratory birds.

Leastwise, that's how it used to be.

Incorrect, if you're in TX as your profile indicates. In TX you have to buy a license to hunt any animal, whether game or non-game species, anywhere, regardless of who owns the property. The only exceptions are killing nuisance animals causing depredation (i.e. crows, hogs, etc. damaging property or crops) predators attacking you or your pets, or fur-bearing animals that you're trapping, where you had to buy a trapping license. In the case of killing depredating animals, you still have to prove depredation is occurring.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
Which is stupid though. One should be able to hunt their own property without a license.
Which is stupid though. One should be able to hunt their own property without a license.

With all due respect, going to disagree. Around 1900 there were about 100 deer left in the entire state of Nebraska, and they decided a change was needed. Too many greedy and stupid people out there who ruined it for everybody.

Lots of things would be a lot better without the large percentage of idiots we have in the population.
WTF does that have to do with anything? I don't give a sheit about 1900. I didn't say anything about limits changing.

Can a 14 year old drive a hay truck around the 1000 acre farm without a driver's license?
Should people be required to have a concealed weapons permit to keep a gun concealed in their house? On them in their yard?

Why not?
WTF does that have to do with anything? I don't give a sheit about 1900. I didn't say anything about limits changing.

Can a 14 year old drive a hay truck around the 1000 acre farm without a driver's license?

What limits are you talking about? There are currently two limits for deer hunting in Nebraska:
1) You can only shoot 2 bucks a year
2) You can only shoot as many does as you have permits for

If anybody should be able to hunt their land without permits, how many deer are you going to allow them to shoot if they don't have permits? Unlimited does?

With all due respect, going to disagree. Around 1900 there were about 100 deer left in the entire state of Nebraska, and they decided a change was needed. Too many greedy and stupid people out there who ruined it for everybody.

Lots of things would be a lot better without the large percentage of idiots we have in the population.

Those folks you mention were selling to a "Market" in those times, others were simply feeding themselves and their families. The greedy and stupid are still with us, no change there.

As far as wildlife and fisheries depts go, for the most part, there is no "game management", only people management. Game management is , in the main, done by the landowners and the lease owners, separate from the state authorities.

Steelhead is right about the Ak. F&G folks. Bunch of badge heavy pricks.
+1

All states charge a fee for a hunting license.
There have been different rules for game wardens in lots of places because in most places, the violation of a game law wasn't actually a crime. It was a violation of a civil statute that might subject one to a fine and ultimately the loss of a license, but jail and criminal convictions were not at issue. It was/is more akin to a situation of a health inspector or something like that.

Now, obviously, that is changing some, particularly in the western states where one can find oneself convicted of a crime, even a felony, and be put on probation or ultimately confined if one is found guilty. So, in those situations where actual crimes are in play, a game warden is ABSOLUTELY subject to the same standards as any other law enforcement officer.
These threads about "rights" tickle me.

This country hasn't had a functional Bill of Rights since Lincoln declared that a state which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily leave the Union.

It probably goes back ever farther than that,...but that's enough for any reasonable person to understand that he's owned.

Of course,....you can always take the moral high ground and feel satisfied for doing so while you sit your ass in jail,...(or lay in the morgue),..but for all practical purposes, you have no rights.

The laws took the place of rights a long, long time ago.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

This country hasn't had a functional Bill of Rights since Lincoln declared that a state which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily leave the Union.

It probably goes back ever farther than that,...but that's enough for any reasonable person to understand that he's owned.

Of course,....you can always take the moral high ground and feel satisfied for doing so while you sit your ass in jail,...but for all practical purposes, you have no rights.

Your fantasy land never actually existed, you do know that, right? George Washington / Whiskey Rebellion? John Adams / Sedition Act? Etc, etc.

It's been a balancing act since day one. You can throw up your hands and say "It's ruined and not worth saving", or you can join the fight to reduce the encroachment and even reverse it.
Good luck with that line of reasoning.

If you never test it, you might be okay.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Of course,....you can always take the moral high ground and feel satisfied for doing so while you sit your ass in jail,...but for all practical purposes, you have no rights.

Your fantasy land never actually existed, you do know that, right? George Washington / Whiskey Rebellion? John Adams / Sedition Act? Etc, etc.

It's been a balancing act since day one. You can throw up your hands and say "It's ruined and not worth saving", or you can join the fight to reduce the encroachment and even reverse it.

Ok. Yeah. Let's look back at the past scandals of this present administration and what came from/of them?

So does my son in law who is a criminal defense attorney.

What limits are you talking about? There are currently two limits for deer hunting in Nebraska:
1) You can only shoot 2 bucks a year
2) You can only shoot as many does as you have permits for

If anybody should be able to hunt their land without permits, how many deer are you going to allow them to shoot if they don't have permits? Unlimited does?

You should get out more. Tennessee (and many other states) doesn't really function under a "permit" system. As a landowner, while I don't need a license (or anything resembling a "permit") to take game on my land, I still can't kill more game than licensed hunters. That said, in the county where my farm is located, we can kill three does per day throughout each deer season (i.e., archery, muzzleloader and gun). I haven't formally done the math, but it's well over 300 per hunter per year, if one were so inclined. So, yeah, we're pretty much unlimited.
Exactly right.

I hunt my land with no license, apparently NE folks ain't bright enough to figure out how to do that. I still can't exceed limits and we have to record kills and check them in with TWRA.
Originally Posted by CCCC
The sad part is that in most instances, the armed citizen exercising his right to defend himself in his home is reluctant to fire his gun. The cops don't show that restraint, and the wrong guy gets killed.

Unfortunately, you are WAY too correct regarding the restraint differential. There have been too many recent examples of police seemingly going way beyond reasonable measures. Maybe it's just that we are seeing longstanding reality because of personal media devices and the internet. That stuff sure can make it rough on the good cops.

On your OP, I wish our G&F troops here would behave like those in some other states - as game wardens - instead of the heavy LEO emphasis with the armament, strutting, etc. When we (deliberately) ask themn questions about game, ranges, habitat, etc. they show little to zero knowledge most of the time. But, they seem to know everything about their "regs" and the law, and every road checkpoint is a dismal negative.

Most LEO's have reason to kill people regularly, but don't. We know that shooting people is a quick trip to a teaching career or law school, and we didn't become cops to do either.
Tucson SWAT and Ft Worth PD didn't seem worried about a career change.

OTOH, the guy in S.TX was quicker than the Deputy that busted into his house.

There's a lesson there somewhere for homeowners.

I think TLEE got it right;" I'm taking at least one of the SOB's with me."
© 24hourcampfire