Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
These threads about "rights" tickle me.

This country hasn't had a functional Bill of Rights since Lincoln declared that a state which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily leave the Union.

It probably goes back ever farther than that,...but that's enough for any reasonable person to understand that he's owned.

Of course,....you can always take the moral high ground and feel satisfied for doing so while you sit your ass in jail,...but for all practical purposes, you have no rights.

The laws took the place of rights a long, long time ago.

Your fantasy land never actually existed, you do know that, right? George Washington / Whiskey Rebellion? John Adams / Sedition Act? Etc, etc.

It's been a balancing act since day one. You can throw up your hands and say "It's ruined and not worth saving", or you can join the fight to reduce the encroachment and even reverse it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Good luck with that line of reasoning.

If you never test it, you might be okay.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Bristoe
These threads about "rights" tickle me.

This country hasn't had a functional Bill of Rights since Lincoln declared that a state which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily leave the Union.

It probably goes back ever farther than that,...but that's enough for any reasonable person to understand that he's owned.

Of course,....you can always take the moral high ground and feel satisfied for doing so while you sit your ass in jail,...but for all practical purposes, you have no rights.

The laws took the place of rights a long, long time ago.

Your fantasy land never actually existed, you do know that, right? George Washington / Whiskey Rebellion? John Adams / Sedition Act? Etc, etc.

It's been a balancing act since day one. You can throw up your hands and say "It's ruined and not worth saving", or you can join the fight to reduce the encroachment and even reverse it.

Ok. Yeah. Let's look back at the past scandals of this present administration and what came from/of them?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That's 'cause they can't, and never could, although they sure tricked a lot of people into thinking so. The Constitution says otherwise.

So does my son in law who is a criminal defense attorney.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Steelhead
WTF does that have to do with anything? I don't give a sheit about 1900. I didn't say anything about limits changing.

Can a 14 year old drive a hay truck around the 1000 acre farm without a driver's license?

What limits are you talking about? There are currently two limits for deer hunting in Nebraska:
1) You can only shoot 2 bucks a year
2) You can only shoot as many does as you have permits for

If anybody should be able to hunt their land without permits, how many deer are you going to allow them to shoot if they don't have permits? Unlimited does?

You should get out more. Tennessee (and many other states) doesn't really function under a "permit" system. As a landowner, while I don't need a license (or anything resembling a "permit") to take game on my land, I still can't kill more game than licensed hunters. That said, in the county where my farm is located, we can kill three does per day throughout each deer season (i.e., archery, muzzleloader and gun). I haven't formally done the math, but it's well over 300 per hunter per year, if one were so inclined. So, yeah, we're pretty much unlimited.

Last edited by BlueK9; 10/10/14.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Exactly right.

I hunt my land with no license, apparently NE folks ain't bright enough to figure out how to do that. I still can't exceed limits and we have to record kills and check them in with TWRA.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The sad part is that in most instances, the armed citizen exercising his right to defend himself in his home is reluctant to fire his gun. The cops don't show that restraint, and the wrong guy gets killed.

Unfortunately, you are WAY too correct regarding the restraint differential. There have been too many recent examples of police seemingly going way beyond reasonable measures. Maybe it's just that we are seeing longstanding reality because of personal media devices and the internet. That stuff sure can make it rough on the good cops.

On your OP, I wish our G&F troops here would behave like those in some other states - as game wardens - instead of the heavy LEO emphasis with the armament, strutting, etc. When we (deliberately) ask themn questions about game, ranges, habitat, etc. they show little to zero knowledge most of the time. But, they seem to know everything about their "regs" and the law, and every road checkpoint is a dismal negative.

Most LEO's have reason to kill people regularly, but don't. We know that shooting people is a quick trip to a teaching career or law school, and we didn't become cops to do either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tucson SWAT and Ft Worth PD didn't seem worried about a career change.

OTOH, the guy in S.TX was quicker than the Deputy that busted into his house.

There's a lesson there somewhere for homeowners.

I think TLEE got it right;" I'm taking at least one of the SOB's with me."

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,064
Posts18,482,530
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.