Home
This morning my wife took our daughter's '08 Ford Escape to Jiffylube for an oil change. We had a coupon for $7.25 so we thought the job would be fairly reasonable. That was until we got charged for a 6th quart of oil, charged an upcharge for 5W20 and charged for the oil filter which was not included. Total bill $46.19. Looking for a place that doesn't play games and charges a reasonable price for an oil change. Thanks for your suggestions.
I have a 2004 Ram/Cummins 3500, I take it to the dealer and pay about 10-12 dollars less than Jiffylube and they even wash and vacuum before I pick it up.
I just use our local Ford dealership for my wife's car which is still under warranty. For mine I use a friend's repair/tire/body shop shop.
You mean people don't change their own oil anymore?
Have only been to one of those quickie oil change/lube joints once - things were "due" during a very long trip - and that episode was enough to end that idea. Brainless fools running the show, every sleazy effort to sell you stuff you don't need and overcharge as much as possible, and had to watch the entire time to insure they got it all done correctly and didn't use inferior stuff.

Having done our own changes and lubes for over 60 years, am convinced that the business plan for those fast service chains is based on confidence in the gross and increasing ignorance of most vehicle owners.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

My car still has several services available as part of the purchase plan, and for my 06 Dodge diesel it's actually cheaper to have the dealer do it.

Dittos.

Best place I know of is my driveway.
If you can find a small privately owned garage that may be better for you. I change my own. I don't trust the quick lube places.
Originally Posted by Tracks

My car still has several services available as part of the purchase plan, and for my 06 Dodge diesel it's actually cheaper to have the dealer do it.

Yep cheaper to have it done than do it myself, then have to find a place to dispose of the oil.
I change my own in all three vehicles.

Travis
"People don't drain it out on the ground
anymore?" - huntsman & ironbender grin
Nope. Transfer site takes 5 gals at a time. I think they sell it for furnaces.

I've heard too many horror stories from those joints. My wife used to use a shop until we met. smile

Another benefit of home changes, is my son and daughter have been in on it so they know how.

No chit. I enjoy doing it.

Did mine my whole life, too old and decrepit now to crawl around under the dang things.

I can take it to the dealer and get it done for within 5 bucks of what it costs to do it myself.
Originally Posted by poboy
anymore?"

Might as well leave a eco footprint before you go...

plus I can strain it, add diesel, use it for wall form oil.

Kent
I got 2 years of free oil changes on my 2014 Ram 2500 diesel as part of the sales agreement. Didn't know it until after the fact. Makes no difference as I prefer to do it myself. I don't want oil drips in my driveway and rounded off or broken fasteners. The cost is negligible when compared to the aggravation of dealing with sloppy work.
Well, I might let you do it. wink

You mean people don't drain it out on a gravel bar in the crick anymore?
Originally Posted by badger
I don't want oil drips in my driveway and rounded off or broken fasteners. The cost is negligible when compared to the aggravation of dealing with sloppy work.

Dittos, ~115k on my '06 2500 cummins and I've done every oil change myself.

It takes more time out of my day to set up an appointment, drop off a vehicle and then pick it up vs. doing the work myself.
I got 2 years of free oil changes on my 2014 Ram 2500 diesel as part of the sales agreement. Didn't know it until after the fact. Makes no difference as I prefer to do it myself. I don't want oil drips in my driveway and rounded off or broken fasteners. The cost is negligible when compared to the aggravation of dealing with sloppy work.

OK I will have the stuff ready for 3 vehicles and an ATV when you get here grin
I had a short period of time where I'd let it be done in town at a variety of places. Like 458 Lott said above, its just easier, quicker, cheaper, and handier to do it myself in the driveway. Bought a set of ramps and that makes doing the two cars so much easier. The truck is high enough a 5 gallon bucket will fit with relative ease.
..I did until I got my current job, it keeps me too busy to do anything but work and a few days of hunting...
We change our own and only use Mobile 1 filters.
thats higher than jiffy kube without discounts,,
Chit, I just drain in on the beach on the wa coast.
Originally Posted by eh76

OK I will have the stuff ready for 3 vehicles and an ATV when you get here grin

You got it smile. BTW, I'm vacuum packing and freezing boerewors tonight for the great trek in a couple of weeks.

I've never once paid for anyone to change my oil, don't trust 9 outta 10 of the people working at such places.
I've never paid anyone to fix a car in my life much less change the oil.
Then again, it's how i make a living.
I'm an auto mechanic.

Work mainly on German cars.
I drive BMWs and Fords.

I know a guy that did that.

The cops caught him doing it.

The judge didn't like it.

IIRC, he spent 30 days in the slammer.
Do it yourself and you don't have to worry about being taken advantage of, it ain't rocket science.

Oil change places cut corners and a lot of times it's on the oil filters that they use, most times they use filters that have no drain back valve in them this is not good as every time you start your engine the oil galleries in the top end above the filter must fill with oil before proper lubrication is achieved causing unnecessary wear on the top end components.

Do it yourself, use quality parts and you will take care of all problems you have experienced with oil change outfits.
Originally Posted by jnyork

Did mine my whole life, too old and decrepit now to crawl around under the dang things.

DITTO, but I take it to a mechanic I have know for 30+ years, 24 bucks out the door and he airs up the tires, fills the window washer tank, checks all the other fluids and tops them off if needed no extra charge.

No schit
Ford Dealership does mine for free. Sure don't trust any of the lackeys working at one of those Jiffy Lube type joints!
sounds like somebody stole a bunch of mancards, don't it?

ooooooo, I'm too busy....

ooooooo, It's easier to sit on my azz drinking coffe while somebody else gets dirty.....

ooooooo, it's cheaper.....

ooooooo, I never learned how.......

ooooooo, I trust minimum wage kids more than I do myself.....

ooooooo, It was free. But my time off, scheduling, trip, dealing with idiots don't mean chit to me....
I worked at dealerships for ten years and generally speaking the guys and gals that did oil changes were not trained mechanics. All they did, and especially in busy dealerships, was change oil. They were no smarter than the lackeys everyone is complaining about that work at the quick change oil places.

TIFIW.

Yep cheaper to have it done than do it myself, then have to find a place to dispose of the oil.

Rarely I'll change the oil in my truck but it's usually when I'm fixing something else. I take it to the local Brakes Plus, use coupons, and get it done for less that $25.00. They use Valvoline and Wix filters and they actually do give it the once over. All the guys that work there that change oil are trained mechanics so there's no issues about pimply faced bubba screwing something up.
These Jiffy Lube sumbitches will fu ck your car up and then show you what they "discovered" during their 96 point inspection..

Crooks have no place in my world..
Between changing the oil on 6 or 7 tractors, 2 pump engines, 3-4 old farm trucks, a swather and 3 diesel pickups I really don't feel like dicking around with my wife's frikken SUV.

That and it's still under warranty.

$35 at the Ford dealership.

And no, I don't feel like a man bitch when I drop it off......grin

We save the used oil in 55 gallon barrels. My uncle has a big heated shop and gladly takes it off our hands.

ooooooo, It's easier to sit on my azz drinking coffe while somebody else gets dirty.....

ooooooo, It was free. But my time off, scheduling, trip, dealing with idiots don't mean chit to me....

When I was poor I changed it myself....cry me a river Don laugh Actually is cheaper here to have it done. Your time may not be worth much but mine surely is wink No offense intended.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Between changing the oil on 6 or 7 tractors, 2 pump engines, 3-4 old farm trucks, a swather and 3 diesel pickups I really don't feel like dicking around with my wife's frikken SUV.

Grew up dong the same thing and just don't feel like crawling around under them anymore.
Originally Posted by T LEE

DITTO, but I take it to a mechanic I have know for 30+ years, 24 bucks out the door and he airs up the tires, fills the window washer tank, checks all the other fluids and tops them off if needed no extra charge.

Yes, but he probably sees that you carry, he knows to do it right. wink
But have always done my own.
I am happy to report that I have a local Chevy dealership that I have complete confidence in and have them do all of my service work. That includes a Silverado, a Corvette, a Maxima and an Acura. If he feels that he can't do it right, he tells me in advance, at no charge.

The service manager and I have become friends and I am very pleased with the service that I receive.

donsm70
I've always changed my own oil, grease all fittings. Since both of my vehicles are 4x4's I like to check everything out underneath, drivelines, steering arms, tierod ends, fluids in trans, transfer, both differentials, loose fasteners, wires ect.

Had only been married to second wife a short while, came home from work one day, her car was up on jack stands she's got my overalls on, she had just changed her own oil&filter! Her hands were all greasy, she had grease smudges on her cheek&nose, quite a sight in those dirty old coveralls. smile
I can change my oil in my Stratus for $ 11 plus about $4 bucks for a filter. I don't see anyone doing it for 15 bucks. I was with a buddy who pulled up into a Jiffy Lube. He had an old junked out $ 1,300 SUV. For 6 qts it came to $56. I laughed in his face. YOu can save a lot of money just changing when the manual tells ya to.
Mostly do this for a feeling of security - known good engine oil and quality filter, transmission/transfer case/rear diff are full, sure that all grease points are hit right (and slop cleaned off), opp to check other stuff underside and check other filters/fluids - and can be certain that all of the plugs are in tight. Have just seen too many shortcuts and screw-ups.
Change it myself, but have a local small shop mechanic do other work. If somebody knows that you know them, they generally do a better job in their work than some shop that tries to cycle customers through.
I used to change my own oil (used and still do use Mobil 1), but it is a pain the butt to do so now with the small engine compartments. You have to remove the under-engine cover and it is a royal pain to reach the oil filter. Now, I take my Mobil 1 to the dealer and let them do it.
waaaaaaah.....

Just dump it out back, kill a ant bed, thin it a little and spray the fence row, treat the boards on your trailer...

Dummy! grin
Originally Posted by Oldman2003

Just dump it out back, kill a ant bed, thin it a little and spray the fence row, treat the boards on your trailer...

Dummy! grin

Listen here you old fart............... laugh No trailer boards , no ants and no fence I own wink
Hey, dont take it out on me... I was honestly trying to help whistle

Are you getting to do any hunting?
Originally Posted by fish head
I worked at dealerships for ten years and generally speaking the guys and gals that did oil changes were not trained mechanics. All they did, and especially in busy dealerships, was change oil. They were no smarter than the lackeys everyone is complaining about that work at the quick change oil places.

TIFIW.

The Ford Dealership I trade with is in a town of less than 1500 people. Yet they probably sell more Ford pickups to farmers & ranchers than do most Dealerships in the large metro areas like DFW. Same guy has been changing oil in all my Fords for the last 20 years. I damned sure wouldn't let one of the High School dropouts out a Jiffy Lube near one of my Trucks! JMO, though. AND, it's FREE.
lots of hunting just haven't pulled the trigger myself. Helped all my friends fill first,
last summer I come home and see where fluid was leaking on the road in front of my house. It continued into the driveway, right up to my wife's lexus. No puddle there, cause there wasn't any oil left. She had driven 23 miles. Precision tune in Rock Hill SC. I called them, had it towed back to them to tighten the oil filter and add oil. The lady/owner on the phone without even seeing the car, declared there was no damage.

She was probably right ... and probably the first time that day.

Charlie
lots of hunting just haven't pulled the trigger myself. Helped all my friends fill first,

Nothing wrong with that! Hope you have a good year, dont look like I'm gonna get any hunting in. frown Just look forward to fishing next spring
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dittos.

Best place I know of is my driveway.

Same here....

Every time I change mine, I swear I'm going to take it somewhere to get it done. Until the next time it needs changing. Mobil 1, 225k, and my 5 year old assistant...

[Linked Image]

My 08 Dodge Cummins takes 12 qts of oil. If I use Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel from Walmart, it costs me about $75 for the oil and maybe $15 for a filter. There are a number of auto parts places that will take used oil for free. I don't know of any place that will do it for $90.
Local Dodge dealers send out discount coupons fairly ofter. My truck is only used these days for hunting trips, a few times a year to tow a trailer, and severe winter driving when I want to leave the Mustang in the Garage. Twice a year service is about my average. I'm retired so a few hours getting it done is no problem.
I'll leave the "do it yourself" crap to those who enjoy such things.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

My 08 Dodge Cummins takes 12 qts of oil. If I use Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel from Walmart, it costs me about $75 for the oil and maybe $15 for a filter. There are a number of auto parts places that will take used oil for free. I don't know of any place that will do it for $90.

Ford dealership changes mine for $95 including lubrication, oil, filter, multi point inspection and tire rotation. I simply would not do it for that.
Local Dodge dealers send out discount coupons fairly ofter. My truck is only used these days for hunting trips, a few times a year to tow a trailer, and severe winter driving when I want to leave the Mustang in the Garage. Twice a year service is about my average. I'm retired so a few hours getting it done is no problem.

you have a Mustang ? shocked
If I had a piece of Chevy, I'd certainly let the dealer do it. That way they could fix the recalls every 3,000 miles as well...

Yeah '13 model, had it about 20 months, 17k miles, don't drive it much either.
I change the oil in my Cummins, wife's SUV and my daily beater. The main reason is so I can choose the oil brand/weight and put on a decent filter which most of the time is Purolator or Wix/Napa.

With the goons at the stealership or Jiffy Lube there's no telling what you will get.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I change the oil in my Cummins, wife's SUV and my daily beater. The main reason is so I can choose the oil brand/weight and put on a decent filter which most of the time is Purolator or Wix/Napa.

With the goons at the stealership or Jiffy Lube there's no telling what you will get.

unless you know them....

details man,,,,details...pard bought one of those 650 HP? models....
Before I retired I had a company F350 that had to be ready to go anywhere in the Western US at a moments notice. I had a local Ford dealer that I had a clear understanding with, that I didn't want to pick up my truck after service and find out it needed something
If anything needed was under $500, just do it.
If more than that call me.
Every 5K miles for 245K it went in and came out the way I wanted. If Ford had not discontinued the 7.3 Turbo I'd be driving one instead of the Dodge.
When the time came to buy a car, guess which dealer I went to.
I used to change mine, but I've gotten too old and my knees are too bad for me to jump up and down on top of the vehicle while pounding my chest and letting out primal screams to let everyone know what an alpha male I am.

Also, howinhell has this thread gone on this long without a full-out assault on Fram filters? This place is really slipping.

details man,,,,details...pard bought one of those 650 HP? models....

More like 305 Hp for me, I've rented a few of the GT models in the past and learned that the power to weight ratio is not a good thing for a guy who is used to trucks and SUVs.
They spin out real easy if you got a heavy foot. Anyway I drove to California last year and never got less than 31 mpg, mostly 34 or 35
Always changed my own except when working out of state and had no where to do it. That few times never once looking under afterwards was the drive line greased.
Had to go back and make then do it.
'

uhh guilty here, if I don't have one of my sons do it then I do.

the 21 year old doesn't think he needs any more practice

but I still got the 16 year old buffaloed, for awhile
Take it to your local dealer. Mine charges $35, uses good materials and rotates the tires. When I have time off I sure as chittt am not going to spend it under a truck. No brainer for me.
I do oil changes on 4 dirtbikes, a jeep wrangler, my truck my wifes honda and a nissan altima, 2 riding mowers a push mower and also service and fix my 2 outboard motors. I enjoy doing it on everything BUT the honda element. I have popeye forarmes and the oil filter makes me mad as hell every time, i can barely get my arm in there to loosen it. I cuss like a sailor when I'm doing it and in a bad mood for the next hour or so. I swear evertytime in gonna take it to the garage down the street but everytime I end up doing it myself.
My Hummer is a really nice vehicle. It also has the dumbest oil filter location I have seen. Remove two skid plates (not too hard, just a PITA), snake your hand up bast the front axle, and SOMEHOW loosen the oil filter. JUST enough room. THEN comes my favorite part. Tilt it over, spilling the oil in it down your forearm. They DID think enough ahead to provide a little plastic drain channel on top of the axle, though. Guess I shouldn't complain....Gotta admit - I DO cuss a bit on those oil changes.
I don't do my own any more. Just can't crawl around under the truck like I used to. 'Got a mechanic down the street who does a complete oil chance including lube and filter for $20.00. If I give him a gallon jug he gives me back my old oil to use for bar and chain oil for the chainsaw.
Yep the oil down the arm aggrivates me too. But the kicker is when I have to tilt the filter isn't the oil down the arm its the fact that it runs all over the place and there's noplace specific to put your drain pan. Its gonna get all in the floor period, doesn't matter what you do. Next time I'm taking it to the garage downthe street.
Growing up poor I learned to change my oil, and rebuild engines too, out of necessity.

All my vehicles run on full synthetic oil, Amsoil in this case, and oil changes are few and far between. Both my GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the diesel engine and the 2008 GMC 1500 with the cute little 4.8L V-8 gasoline engine run on Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 HD Disel Oil. Stuff costs around $9.00 a quart with the discount, or $108 for the 12 quarts to fill the diesel engine and bypass filters.

In the diesel I run an oil analysis every 7,500 miles, and have never had a single result where the oil wasn't suitable for continued use after three tests or 22,500 to 25,000 miles. This truck is equipped with a dual bypass filtration system that protects the oil allowing indefinite oil change intervals. This DuraMax engine is very easy on oil, where 16 ounces are consumed about every 5K to 6K miles, if that.

While the Series 3000 oil is a bit of an overkill for the garage queen Sierra 1500, this engine has yet to consume any oil at all after 6k miles. This truck is equipped with an Amsoil filter good for 25K miles.

Both trucks are equipped with FuMoto oil drain valves equipped with a plastic tube and shutoff so I can drain the hot used oil directly into one gallon jugs provided by the garbage collection and recycling company. They also provide plastic bags for the used oil filters. Both are picked up with the recycle bin.

I recall that there was quite a controversy on one of TV stations awhile ago about fraudulent practices by some oil change stores. If I were to have someone else do an oil change for me, I'd head back to the dealership, where they warranty their work. Every month we receive discount coupons for service from the dealer that just about make it too expensive to DIY. But being particular, and fearing they will accidently contaminate my Amsoil coolant with Dexcool, I'll just plug along.

I have a BMW Z4 the oil change recommendation is 15000 miles. Would you?
Originally Posted by benchman
My Hummer is a really nice vehicle. It also has the dumbest oil filter location I have seen. Remove two skid plates (not too hard, just a PITA), snake your hand up bast the front axle, and SOMEHOW loosen the oil filter. JUST enough room. THEN comes my favorite part. Tilt it over, spilling the oil in it down your forearm. They DID think enough ahead to provide a little plastic drain channel on top of the axle, though. Guess I shouldn't complain....Gotta admit - I DO cuss a bit on those oil changes.

would be worth the time to do a remote filter mount...

did that to a friends car, that you had to be a contortionist and 4 ft 5 inches to get to the filter... had a spot on one side of the engine bay, and mounted a 2 quart truck filter...that is what he wanted...

made life simpler, that was for sure... and doing the mounting was really no more difficult that one filter change...
That's a lot of driving, hell if I know.

Couple weeks ago I did a loader tractor and my pickup and went with 5W-40 T6 Rotella(for the cold weather).
Figure 5-6k miles on the pickup and maybe 250-300 hours on the tractor before changing.

It was $25/gallon for the synthetic compared to $15/gallon for regular 15W-40. Basically another $40 per change but guessing it will be worth it.

According to some guys here things should start a little easier when it's 20 or 30 below. We shall see in a month or two.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Yep the oil down the arm aggrivates me too. But the kicker is when I have to tilt the filter isn't the oil down the arm its the fact that it runs all over the place and there's noplace specific to put your drain pan. Its gonna get all in the floor period, doesn't matter what you do. Next time I'm taking it to the garage downthe street.

Solved that long ago on one vehicle ( Honda Prelude)... put a big metal Oil Leak pan ( like a big baking sheet) that I picked up for $10.. was well worth it and solved a lot of problems ending the need to clean up the mess...

just pull out the floor pan and let it drain into the fire barrel...
I can have my oil changed and be drinking coffee in less time than I can go to town and back. miles
Well I when to Jiffy Lube just once, at the time I was driving a 1984 Jetta turbo diesel, the clowns put in the wrong sized oil filter, it was for a gas engine, I bought the right part and showed the manager, what he had done, he didn't believe me, then he just said it would be another 30 to do an oil change, I sued him, in small claims, I got a judgment, he had to refund the money for the oil change, the filter I bought, court costs and lawyer bill and 3500 for being a fool! The judge didn't say anything till I ran into him trout fishing, a couple of years later, turned out he drives the same car and that jiffy lube did the same thing, he just waited for somebody with that same car and complaint to well you know the rest of it! I do my own oil changes pretty much, with the little driving I actually do, it comes to three changes a year, I do air filters every other oil change and fuel filter once a year, before winter! My current car is a 1996 Subaru Outback, not a hard car to work on, I did a starter the other day, two mounting bolts, one ground wire bolt and the ignition connector took longer for the engine to cool down enough from the right to NAPA !

LOL, I do too, but the wifes toyota came with free lifetime changes... can't hardly turn that down...but I do all other maintenance on hers and all of ours
I have no problem paying a mechanic a decent wage to do work like this for me. I recognize that even on stuff I can do, the pro mechanic is more talented than I am doing work like this, not to mention doing the same stuff over and over again every day whereas I do it once in awhile. I have had to do a lot of mechanical work in my life, out of necessity. If I enjoyed it, that's what I'd do for a career.

All that said, I still end up doing a lot of it myself because there is just too much drama involved in getting anything done to not just do it yourself. I still change my own oil about 95% of the time. I use plain Phillips 66 Dino juice just like I have for years along with usually a Motorcraft or Delco filter depending on whether I'm working on a Ford or GM product.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
This morning my wife took our daughter's '08 Ford Escape to Jiffylube for an oil change. We had a coupon for $7.25 so we thought the job would be fairly reasonable. That was until we got charged for a 6th quart of oil, charged an upcharge for 5W20 and charged for the oil filter which was not included. Total bill $46.19. Looking for a place that doesn't play games and charges a reasonable price for an oil change. Thanks for your suggestions.

I change it myself for less than half that and use 5W30.
I change my own. Enjoy it too. My dodge truck is a breeze to change. Merc Mountaineer is ok, once you learn where to put your hands/wrench to get the filter off. My wifes old Saturn we use for running around is a pia with the filter. No room at all. Always good for a good cussing.
I figure to each his own

i'm happy to pay someone to do stuff I don't want to do

but sometimes luck gets in the way

starter went out on my GMC pickup couple of weeks ago, called a pard that owns a service station to have them do it, was gonna be a week as they were going hucklety buck to change people's tires since we got some snow.

dang it, coulda waited and just drove my Toyota for a week, but needed the big truck for a project, so I just grabbed a starter when I was in town and changed it myself.

I like having the $ to pay folks to do stuff I don't want to do or enjoy, but sometimes you just need to get er done and crawl under the truck yourself
heck no...I save mine and use it burn the garbage in the backyard.
I change my oil when I change my underwear.
Once a year, whether needed or not
If you filter the oil through the old underwear, you can reuse the oil as well.
Originally Posted by deflave
I change my own in all three vehicles.

Travis

Same here, but with 4 vehicles...
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If you filter the oil through the old underwear, you can reuse the oil as well.

Isn't that basically how a Fram filter works?

Catches the big chunks but does a chitty job with the rest.
It's funny to hear about oil change shacks that still employ air-impact wrenches and cross-thread the oil-pan drain plug at 600 ft/lbs.....OP got lucky it was only $$$ and not a mechanical screwing.
I have a 2011 Audi A4 2.0Turbo in the shop right now that has a stripped oil pan. Last oil change was done by the local dealer shocked . About $700.00 to replace the pan. Customer is somewhat irritated since he spent about $3200.00 with them for a turbo replacement and oil change, among other things.........
Originally Posted by SEdge

Have a 99 mbz e320 wagon with 220k on the odo that runs mobil 1 and oil changes are at 10k, still runs like a champ. On my '06 cummins 5.9 I run mobil 1 diesel, change the filter at 7.5, and oil at 15k, 115k on the odo and it runs great.

Mobil 1 is good oil, and Germans generally know how to design and build a good engine. I wouldn't have a problem sticking with the factory recommended oil change interval.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Have a 99 mbz e320 wagon with 220k on the odo that runs mobil 1 and oil changes are at 10k, still runs like a champ. On my '06 cummins 5.9 I run mobil 1 diesel, change the filter at 7.5, and oil at 15k, 115k on the odo and it runs great.

Mobil 1 is good oil, and Germans generally know how to design and build a good engine. I wouldn't have a problem sticking with the factory recommended oil change interval.

I would. I recommend 7500 mile intervals to my BMW customers. Unless of course, you plan on getting out of the car before 100k miles. (That's what BMW is banking on). The 15k recommendation occurred at the very same time BMW launched their 4 year 50k mile "free" maintenance program. Doesn't take a genius for figure out why. The dealer serviced BMW's that we see with 80-90k miles on them often have issues with VANOS solenoids sticking, oil leaks from front crank seals, and some oil consumption complaints. Most of these issues can be traced back to sludge buildup and contaminated oil. Our enlightened customers that change the oil more frequently from new (halfway oil changes on their dime) drive cars that don't have these issues. YMMV.
Most of the time you get what you pay for.

Yes as it uses synthetic. My wife's Porsche goes 12K per Porsche with Mobil One. I just read where BMW is now hooked up with us (Shell) and will use our new GTL oil.
Our local guy is $5 more than what it would cost me and his shop is across the road from the park.

Drop off keys, play with kids, drive away.
I usually do my own, but there are several independent shops here advertising $10 oil changes if you furnish the oil and filter. I'd trust these guys more than Walmart or the big shops such as Jiffy Lube.

I can take it to the dealer and get it done for within 5 bucks of what it costs to do it myself.

Me too. Used to do it myself. Buy oil and filters at WalMart and/or K-Mart when they were on sale. Enjoyed doing it and saved a few bucks. Too much arthritis now to go crawling under cars. I bought a used 2010 Ram 2 years ago. The guy offered 4 oil changes, for $100 bucks, at the time of the sale. I just used the last one. For that money, it's not worth screwing around. He offers that deal every couple months, or so. When he does it again, I'll pick up another one. It's hard to do it yourself for $25 bucks a pop.
My 87 year old Aunt brought her car to her Honda dealership for an oil change. I told her say NO to anything else they try to sell you. She came home with a $450 bill! They told her it was time for her 60,000 maintenance. She said no, and they strongly recommended it. It might not be safe to drive the car if she didn't get it done. She said OK. They changed her oil, and topped off the gear oil, replaced her wiper blades, inspected her brakes and tires... The wiper blades were billed at $35 Each! I called the dealership and asked to speak to whoever talked my Aunt into the tune up. I laid into him for 10 minutes and told him to make a note in her files not to do one single thing to her car without my approval. If she ever drives there on her own without me, they will call me or they will not get one thin dime. I then called the dealership's manager and told him the exact same thing. I threatened to go to the AG's office and turn him in for manipulating a poor little old lady into buying unnecessary services. They are crooks. I do mine, and my Mom's and Brother's vehicles. Everything I can. If I was to get any of them done, I would go to my corner garage and make things clear on what I want, and get what I'm paying out front. See how it goes, and if I will go back or not.
Before my Mother died in 2008 she could still drive and live on her own. She needed a fuel filter on her car so I wrote a note for her to give to Jiffy Lube to do only the fuel filter. She later called me and told me they charged her over $300.00.

I immediately stopped payment on her check and went to Jiffy Lube to speak with the manager. He said he had her on video accepting the high pressure options which she took. I told him I stopped payment on her check and that I would pay for the fuel filter only. He repeated again about having her on video. I asked him how he would like to have the video camera shoved up his ass.

He said "listen, you're speaking to a veteran and I can take care of myself". I told him he's speaking to an OLD veteran and I would literally show him what a good ass whipping was all about. Then, while there, I called the head office in WV and explained all about it.

I won.
For the OP, it's more about the guys at the place, than the place itself. Any of the chain joints will train their staff to upsell lots of services, and at ridiculous margins. Dealerships can be a lot like that, or even worse, though certainly not all of them are. It may be possible to find a place who runs their particular site more honestly, or at least will agree to lay-off you & your kin for extras. However, I think you'll have better luck at an independent place, than at a dealer or a chain shop.

You can look for highly-rated mechanics at the Car Talk website, or go on Angie's List (if you're a member). Or, you can go to the local McDonald's at 7 am on a Saturday morning, and buy a round of coffees for the old curmudgeons who'll be gathered there, & ask them where they go (and where they won't go. wink ).

FC
As long as I am able I will buy my own oil and filter change it myself along with lubing the vehicle.
I get enough oil changing with my motorcycles. I allow myself the luxury of having my car's oil changed at a quick change place.

Their prices are reasonable and there's no pressure to buy anything extra.

It's assembly line efficient.

Pull in, stop, fill out a short form with the milage of your car and the type of oil you want, sit for 5 minutes, pay, drive off.

Do it again 6 months later.
I use a small locally owned shop. I know the owner and trust him to treat me and my family right. He always has.

There is no safety in using a Car Dealership. I had a Chevrolet dealer on I-75 try to tell me that my engine had no oil in it and was seized up. Shop manager said that they had a crate engine he would be glad to replace my engine with and he could have me back on the road by late that afternoon. Instead, I had my dealer send a loaner and a tow truck to pick my car up. My dealer found that it didn't have a drop of oil in it, but the problem that caused it to stop running was a dead battery and no alternator belt. The engine wasn't seized up and was fine. The crooked dealer had drained the oil (they had showed me that there was no oil in the engine) and was going to charge me to replace a perfectly good engine when the only problem was a belt missing. Probably were just going to charge me and not even replace the engine.

It pays to know who you are dealing with when it comes to car repairs or maintenance.
Most of the year I change my own oil but in the middle of winter when it is cold and nasty, I'll pay to have it done at the only quick change place I ever go to.

Oh yeah, I say no, I don't want that done a lot of times. They keep hoping though. smile
The best scams are the ones that pull people in with the magnanimous offer of "free" inspections of various aspects of the vehicle.
Just had to post this for the hell of it. whistle

[Linked Image]
I've heard of using airbags to lift a vehicle instead of using a traditional jack, but I never realized what a great idea it really was.
I just tell the girlfriend that there's new oil and a filter in the passenger seat and that she better get it done before I finish my beer and want a sandwich. Had to remind her about greasing the driveline one time, but after that, I've had no more issues.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I get enough oil changing with my motorcycles. I allow myself the luxury of having my car's oil changed at a quick change place.

Their prices are reasonable and there's no pressure to buy anything extra.

It's assembly line efficient.

Pull in, stop, fill out a short form with the milage of your car and the type of oil you want, sit for 5 minutes, pay, drive off.

Do it again 6 months later.

They don't even let all the oil run out before putting crappy oil back in....but, whatever.

When I was poor I changed it myself....cry me a river Don laugh Actually is cheaper here to have it done. Your time may not be worth much but mine surely is wink No offense intended.

Same here. I used to do my own as well and harassed a friend when he told me he was dropping his outfit off for a change. He made a very salient point about the value of his time.

That along with having 8 motorized vehicles of a sort (cars, trucks, tractors, atvs, and until recently a boat), I have far better things to do with my time.

I have a local private shop change the oil in the diesel pickup. $75 for a diesel oil change is pretty damn good deal. Plus, he does a far cleaner job having a lift to get the job done. Added benefit is it helps my relationship with him so that when I really need a mechanic, he's there for me.
Sounds like some of you guys are just a little slow with a wrench. I can change my own oil in less time than it takes to drive to the nearest lube shop - and that ain't far.

Driving to the shop, waiting for them to do the change (hope there isn't a line) and driving home takes far more time. Even just stopping on the way to somewhere else (if convenient) - they often take more time to do it than I would.

Same thing with tire rotation. Not worth the trip or the wait, when I can do it at home in less time.

Sounds like y'all are making excuses for not wanting to get your hands dirty. wink
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Sounds like some of you guys are just a little slow with a wrench. I can change my own oil in less time than it takes to drive to the nearest lube shop - and that ain't far.

Driving to the shop, waiting for them to do the change (hope there isn't a line) and driving home takes far more time. Even just stopping on the way to somewhere else (if convenient) - they often take more time to do it than I would.

Same thing with tire rotation. Not worth the trip or the wait, when I can do it at home in less time.

Sounds like y'all are making excuses for not wanting to get your hands dirty. wink

Seems like some of you guys don't realize we don't all live in the same reality you do.

I drive somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000+ miles a year to get to my jobs across the western US. What do you suggest I do while 800+ miles from home, overdue for an oil change and will not be home or have a day off work for the next few weeks all the while I will probably rack up another 3,000+ miles or so?
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Seems like some of you guys don't realize we don't all live in the same reality you do.

I drive somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000+ miles a year to get to my jobs across the western US. What do you suggest I do while 800+ miles from home, overdue for an oil change and will not be home or have a day off work for the next few weeks all the while I will probably rack up another 3,000+ miles or so?

Hey, that's all fine. I was just poking a little fun anyway - but your situation is a far cry from just paying someone to "save time". The lube shops are a convenience and for some a necessity - but a time saver, they are not.

That and the risk of breaking a nail. cry
Now that is funny Fish. Yep, I definitely worry about getting dirty and breaking nails. It just might interfere with my next mani and pedi.
© 24hourcampfire