Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a lot of driving, hell if I know.

Couple weeks ago I did a loader tractor and my pickup and went with 5W-40 T6 Rotella(for the cold weather).
Figure 5-6k miles on the pickup and maybe 250-300 hours on the tractor before changing.

It was $25/gallon for the synthetic compared to $15/gallon for regular 15W-40. Basically another $40 per change but guessing it will be worth it.

According to some guys here things should start a little easier when it's 20 or 30 below. We shall see in a month or two.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Yep the oil down the arm aggrivates me too. But the kicker is when I have to tilt the filter isn't the oil down the arm its the fact that it runs all over the place and there's noplace specific to put your drain pan. Its gonna get all in the floor period, doesn't matter what you do. Next time I'm taking it to the garage downthe street.

Solved that long ago on one vehicle ( Honda Prelude)... put a big metal Oil Leak pan ( like a big baking sheet) that I picked up for $10.. was well worth it and solved a lot of problems ending the need to clean up the mess...

just pull out the floor pan and let it drain into the fire barrel...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can have my oil changed and be drinking coffee in less time than I can go to town and back. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I when to Jiffy Lube just once, at the time I was driving a 1984 Jetta turbo diesel, the clowns put in the wrong sized oil filter, it was for a gas engine, I bought the right part and showed the manager, what he had done, he didn't believe me, then he just said it would be another 30 to do an oil change, I sued him, in small claims, I got a judgment, he had to refund the money for the oil change, the filter I bought, court costs and lawyer bill and 3500 for being a fool! The judge didn't say anything till I ran into him trout fishing, a couple of years later, turned out he drives the same car and that jiffy lube did the same thing, he just waited for somebody with that same car and complaint to well you know the rest of it! I do my own oil changes pretty much, with the little driving I actually do, it comes to three changes a year, I do air filters every other oil change and fuel filter once a year, before winter! My current car is a 1996 Subaru Outback, not a hard car to work on, I did a starter the other day, two mounting bolts, one ground wire bolt and the ignition connector took longer for the engine to cool down enough from the right to NAPA !

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You mean people don't change their own oil anymore?

LOL, I do too, but the wifes toyota came with free lifetime changes... can't hardly turn that down...but I do all other maintenance on hers and all of ours

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no problem paying a mechanic a decent wage to do work like this for me. I recognize that even on stuff I can do, the pro mechanic is more talented than I am doing work like this, not to mention doing the same stuff over and over again every day whereas I do it once in awhile. I have had to do a lot of mechanical work in my life, out of necessity. If I enjoyed it, that's what I'd do for a career.

All that said, I still end up doing a lot of it myself because there is just too much drama involved in getting anything done to not just do it yourself. I still change my own oil about 95% of the time. I use plain Phillips 66 Dino juice just like I have for years along with usually a Motorcraft or Delco filter depending on whether I'm working on a Ford or GM product.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
This morning my wife took our daughter's '08 Ford Escape to Jiffylube for an oil change. We had a coupon for $7.25 so we thought the job would be fairly reasonable. That was until we got charged for a 6th quart of oil, charged an upcharge for 5W20 and charged for the oil filter which was not included. Total bill $46.19. Looking for a place that doesn't play games and charges a reasonable price for an oil change. Thanks for your suggestions.

I change it myself for less than half that and use 5W30.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I change my own. Enjoy it too. My dodge truck is a breeze to change. Merc Mountaineer is ok, once you learn where to put your hands/wrench to get the filter off. My wifes old Saturn we use for running around is a pia with the filter. No room at all. Always good for a good cussing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure to each his own

i'm happy to pay someone to do stuff I don't want to do

but sometimes luck gets in the way

starter went out on my GMC pickup couple of weeks ago, called a pard that owns a service station to have them do it, was gonna be a week as they were going hucklety buck to change people's tires since we got some snow.

dang it, coulda waited and just drove my Toyota for a week, but needed the big truck for a project, so I just grabbed a starter when I was in town and changed it myself.

I like having the $ to pay folks to do stuff I don't want to do or enjoy, but sometimes you just need to get er done and crawl under the truck yourself

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
"People don't drain it out on the ground
anymore?" - huntsman & ironbender grin
heck no...I save mine and use it burn the garbage in the backyard.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I change my oil when I change my underwear.
Once a year, whether needed or not

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you filter the oil through the old underwear, you can reuse the oil as well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I change my own in all three vehicles.

Travis

Same here, but with 4 vehicles...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If you filter the oil through the old underwear, you can reuse the oil as well.

Isn't that basically how a Fram filter works?

Catches the big chunks but does a chitty job with the rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's funny to hear about oil change shacks that still employ air-impact wrenches and cross-thread the oil-pan drain plug at 600 ft/lbs.....OP got lucky it was only $$$ and not a mechanical screwing.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2011 Audi A4 2.0Turbo in the shop right now that has a stripped oil pan. Last oil change was done by the local dealer shocked . About $700.00 to replace the pan. Customer is somewhat irritated since he spent about $3200.00 with them for a turbo replacement and oil change, among other things.........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SEdge
I have a BMW Z4 the oil change recommendation is 15000 miles. Would you?

Have a 99 mbz e320 wagon with 220k on the odo that runs mobil 1 and oil changes are at 10k, still runs like a champ. On my '06 cummins 5.9 I run mobil 1 diesel, change the filter at 7.5, and oil at 15k, 115k on the odo and it runs great.

Mobil 1 is good oil, and Germans generally know how to design and build a good engine. I wouldn't have a problem sticking with the factory recommended oil change interval.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Have a 99 mbz e320 wagon with 220k on the odo that runs mobil 1 and oil changes are at 10k, still runs like a champ. On my '06 cummins 5.9 I run mobil 1 diesel, change the filter at 7.5, and oil at 15k, 115k on the odo and it runs great.

Mobil 1 is good oil, and Germans generally know how to design and build a good engine. I wouldn't have a problem sticking with the factory recommended oil change interval.

I would. I recommend 7500 mile intervals to my BMW customers. Unless of course, you plan on getting out of the car before 100k miles. (That's what BMW is banking on). The 15k recommendation occurred at the very same time BMW launched their 4 year 50k mile "free" maintenance program. Doesn't take a genius for figure out why. The dealer serviced BMW's that we see with 80-90k miles on them often have issues with VANOS solenoids sticking, oil leaks from front crank seals, and some oil consumption complaints. Most of these issues can be traced back to sludge buildup and contaminated oil. Our enlightened customers that change the oil more frequently from new (halfway oil changes on their dime) drive cars that don't have these issues. YMMV.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Most of the time you get what you pay for.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Yes as it uses synthetic. My wife's Porsche goes 12K per Porsche with Mobil One. I just read where BMW is now hooked up with us (Shell) and will use our new GTL oil.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.