Home
Posted By: Bristoe Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
I didn't know anything about it, but my wife found out about it and ordered a kit for both of us. She sent hers off and there was no surprises. She's Russian/Polish and the results yielded that she was a 99% Slavik purebred. My kit laid around here and I never got around to doing it up, but my brother indicated that he was interested so I gave it to him to do.

The outcome was interesting. Both of us are fair skinned with light, fine textured reddish hair and there was quite a bit known about our maternal side of the family. Dad's side however was a mystery. Dad was darkish complected with black hair and he tanned up in the sun. Word was that it was from a hit of native american somewhere back in there somewhere.

Well,..the results came back and there was no native american indicated. It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe,....Spain/Portugal,..that stuff. 25% came from Ireland,..no surprise there. But only 7% of our DNA was associated with Great Britain. The majority (44%) could be traced to Germany, France,...alla the non Great Britain Western European people and a pretty good dollup was from Scandinavia.

All of this was interesting, but the biggest hit from the test was from the DNA database that ancestry.com is keeping which compares your DNA to others that have been sent in and lists people who are related to you.

I've yet to learn who the person is, but someone very closely related to me on my father's side had sent in family histories and some pictures.

I pulled up the page and found a picture of my grandmother and my uncle that I had never seen.

I've been sitting here at the computer for 2 days finding out my father's family history.

It's worth doing,...no chit.

I think it's going to explode once it catches on and enough people get involved to string out some in depth family trees.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
I just found out today that all 4 of my great grandparents on my father's side were born in Germany. I knew about one but not the others.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
My great great grandfather outlived 3 wives and had a 4th when he died. He had children by at least 3 of them. The problem is that all 4 were named Mary and there's no record of which kids came from which Mary. The genealogy research hits a dead end there. Possibly some DNA testing could reveal a few things.

Very interesting. I know just generally that I'm about eighty percent Dutch with a smattering of French and German.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Interesting.... [b][color:#3333FF]$89 bucks, save 10%[/color][/b] for Christmas...

So now "The Man" has your DNA, wonder what they'll do with it.?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
I'd like to do it and probably will in the future but I already know what I am. All of my ancestors came in around the 1890s so tracing it is easy.

I'm Norwegian, Swedish and 10% Nazi. grin
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
I have a book that traces my lineage on my moms side,back to the people who came over from England in the 1640's.
everything that ancestory.com, has on my family,I told them.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Here's a pic I found on the ancentry.com page of my uncle. He died when I was just a kid. I met him once just a few weeks before he was gone. He was the oldest of 5 boys.

To make a long story short, my father's family grew up *hard* in the bootheel of Southeastern Missouri. They didn't have chit to start with,..and then the depression hit and somebody decided to shoot my grandfather,..so at age 17 or so, my uncle became the guy who had to figure out how to keep the family from starving.

Basically, that meant that you got up in the morning and drug a cotton sack up and down the rows. There was still some cotton sacks around the house when I was a kid. I'd drag one out when we'd go camping and use it for a sleeping bag.

But anyway. My uncle evidently got tired of picking cotton so he looked around for another way to make bean and bacon money and taught himself how to lay brick and block. His baby brother, my dad, worked as a hod carrier for him until he decided to learn how to lay brick and block too,...but WW2 came along after a little bit and he got to go off and make a living doing jungle warfare in the Pacific. Only 11 men from his company survived it, but it got him out of the cotton fields,...and they gave him a medal or two,...had him be an Alamo Scout,...allowed him to carrouse with Filipina women,...I've got a half brother somewhere over there if he's not dead.

But this,...I like this pic of my uncle. I'm sure that the suit and the hat aren't Hart, Shaftner and Marx, but they seem to fit him well enough. The tie looks like it was scooped out of a drawer for the occasion,....probably a clip on. The belt is broken in enough,..I'd say that he wore it while laying block earlier in the day, and that one hand that's visible clearly indicates a life of hard, physical work.

More than anything,..I like his expression and his pale, almost white eyes.

He's got his head cocked to the side,....them eyes looking straight through the camera,..and he's telling the world, "This cain't break me. I'll get through this and take my share of women with me. They gotta eat and I can feed 'em,...so here I am".

Uncle Harvey:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Interesting.... [b][color:#3333FF]$89 bucks, save 10%[/color][/b] for Christmas...

Not the Man, the Mormons.
And here's the baby of the family,...my dad,..all spiffed up in 1941 and getting ready to head for the Pacific theater of war,...still smiling because he didn't know what was waiting. This was long before I was born. I never saw him smile like this very much.

[Linked Image]
,...and this is the pic of my grandmother that I had never seen until I came across it on ancestry.com. I knew her as an old white haired woman,...but this is her during the cotton picking years.

She's got them pale eyes like uncle Harvey,....and more wrinkles than her years should allow.

It's amazing how much my dad took after her,...except for his dark coloring.

[Linked Image]
Then me,...spoiled kid of the 70's,...who didn't know any better than to piss and moan about the weak ass scratchin' I had to go through during my time coming up.

[Linked Image]
,...one of my daughters who will graduate dental school in May,..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
It IS interesting. I gave it to my wife for Christmas last year and had our daughter do the test. I hate to say it, but we is cousins.
Which 'WE' is that?
My other daughter who has a master's degree and is a medical illustrator.

[Linked Image]
Of all the pictures......grin

You know what I mean.
,...and my boy,...lol,...he's carrying the family torch and likes to party,....but he'll get it figured out. He's a smart kid.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Which 'WE' is that?

You know what I meant, you sack of nuts. Now we know why all my girls look Russian.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Don't tell me that I'm cousins with Scott too... cry
Posted By: NathanL Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Which 'WE' is that?

You know what I meant, you sack of nuts. Now we know why all my girls look Russian.

Hmmm I know where your family is from. You never know what "we" are cousins mean lol.
lol,...y'all need to drop a few bucks and do that ancestry.com DNA thing.

If,...for no other reason,..it'll give you something to do during the winter months.

I don't expect that I'll get involved in any type of significant socializations with a lot of my relatives, but I've long wondered about who they were, where they are, and what they do,..and I hope to exchange a few e-mails with some of them here and there.

My mom's family is all still congregated in the same area,...or if they're not, people know where they are,..but my dad's side of the family has always been wild seed.

It's going to be fun tracking them down and saying, "hey!".
Ever see that show "Step Brothers"?
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Ever see that show "Step Brothers"?
No,should I?
Yes.
Originally Posted by NathanL
Which 'WE' is that?

Hmmm I know where your family is from. You never know what "we" are cousins mean lol.

No sh1t. I was just proud to see there wasn't anything from the Congo.
Posted By: ghost Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, that's another process, which includes a lot of work (I'm our families genealogist). You will possibly get inquiries from folks who think they might be related to you, but not a "hey here's your whole history" thing. I had mine done, was suprised , since family name is English, to find we're mostly IRISH, (GOD! ,lol)
18% Italian (from the Romans in England(, about 6% English, and the rest Germans etc. I have the family traced back t0 1700 on the family name side, and some of the others came here in the mid 1800s..mom's side has to many dead ends..

Have a god kid, black girl. Had her's done too. She's 65% Nigerian and that area, 30% European (German),and 5% other. She was delighted to find where he ancestors were from. Too many American blacks think they're from Kenya and such places, but 95% of them go back to Nigeria and that area, as that's where the slaves brough here (black ones anyway) were from.

Really interesting to see just what your background is. But with the family being here for 300+ years, am a 10th generation American and ONLY an American. As can be seen, even the English, are mixes of other people. Look into it, you'll be amazed.
I'm a sixth generation Texas on both sides. I wasn't worried about what went on before that. I was worried about the woodpiles of the last century. smile
Originally Posted by ghost
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, .

It will to the extent that people related to you have submitted DNA to them.

I've seen enough to know.

I have no idea who some of the people who have submitted DNA are,...but I know who the pics are and know how they are related to me.

It's been a shocking experience to me to see the pics of my relatives that I've never seen and to recognize them.
I recognize my uncle,...but I had never seen that particular pic of him.

I know what my grandmother looked like,...but I had never seen that pic of her.

Both of them were directed to me through people who had submitted DNA through ancestry.com.

You need to know what you're talking about before you run your mouth,...but as we all know, that's not a requirement on here.
Posted By: Paladin Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, that's another process, which includes a lot of work (I'm our families genealogist). You will possibly get inquiries from folks who think they might be related to you....

I hope you don't do like our genealogist did and research himself out of the family. He worked quite hard researching the family back in the late '70's and early '80's when said research meant a lot of traveling and he would send monthly news letter updates. Until he found out he was from a different, distant branch of the family and decided he would go that direction.

Posted By: Paladin Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14

Thanks for posting this Bristoe. I find family history and especially photos very interesting.

Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Well done! cool
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
We are all mutts. Even royalty is. Our cultural differences and upbringing account for most of our differences, but still, genetics is a strong force. Ask any dog breeder.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
Two of my great-grandparents were orphans, so it would be interesting to see what the quarter of me that we know nothing of is.
Posted By: rattler Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/14/14
always wanted to do this....moms side of the family is well known most of it is about 100 years off the boat from Norway and what isnt Norske isnt long off the boat from Germany, actually have a "book" one of my moms aunts did on her dads side and ive got his family roots traced back to prolly the late 1700's in Norway and pics of the family farm over there ect....actually still have living relatives over there, my mom met them but i havent....

dads side pinballed around the states pretty good and less is known to me farther back than grandma and grandpa....
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
my wife ordered the kit as a gift on my last birthday.

sent the test in (read that "spit"), and got the results back recently.

was surprised--one thing i was absolutely sure was there--was absent. another that i suspected was there--was in fact there.

to me it was worth the paltry $100.00 leaving our household.

we started on the trees about a month ago.

if you're sitting on the fence--my thought is, it's a fairly inexpensive outlay to obtain the info...
Posted By: NathanL Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
Same people that tell all of Nigeria that they are related to a mega rich prince probably smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

The Man has had my DNA for years. The Navy took mouth swabs for their records.
Posted By: isaac Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
Very cool. My grandmother once shared with me that her own mom's mother(my great,great grandmother, I suppose)stated that John Wilkes Booth was some limb on our tree. Never bothered to verify.

Your thread just might be the motivation for me to give it a go.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
Do it,..

It looks like it could turn into something that you keep up with for years.

Like I mentioned earlier, it could be a huge thing if enough people took part in it,...and I think they will, eventually.

I ordered a kit for my mom today,....just because I want to see how the breakdown occurs concerning the origin of our ancestry.

I've located people who are on both sides of my parents, but I'm interested in finding where each side came from.

It's especially interesting to Americans,...because we're all a bunch of mutt residents of the great melting pot.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
This does look interesting. I'd like to try it but looks like its not available outside the U.S yet. Hopefully soon. I know very little about my family tree, from what I've been told its mostly German or Russian. Would like to know more, so I'll keep an eye on it to see if they expand. For $90 it would be interesting enough I think.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/15/14
My wife did it. She does know her family history pretty well on her dads side.
First relative was a Hessian soldier captured at the battle of Trenton. He may have switched sides because he did receive a pension of land in West Virginia after the revolution.
In typical Teutonic efficiency the family has church records in Rowenfurth (sp) Hesse, Germany. No surprises on the German link but surprised at the links to England and Ireland.
On her moms side it is pretty colorful. Her first ancestor came From China and was prominent in the Chinese community in Los Angeles. He was pretty much a pimp and ran a gambling hall. This is documented in the L.A. Times. This little tidbit drives her bible thunper cousins nuts. No real accurate records are intact in Chine so all she knows is Canton bit not sure if the city or Province.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by Scotty
Two of my great-grandparents were orphans, so it would be interesting to see what the quarter of me that we know nothing of is.

I was given up for adoption at birth and have no info at all about my birth mother and father. I'm most likely mostly Caucasian but other than that ???.

Just ordered the kit, it'll be interesting to see what kind of genetic soup led up to my popping out into the world.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I was given up for adoption at birth and have no info at all about my birth mother and father. I'm most likely mostly Caucasian but other than that ???.

Just ordered the kit, it'll be interesting to see what kind of genetic soup led up to my popping out into the world.

Very interesting,...but you're very likely to learn more than that.

Your DNA will be put into the database and compared to others that have been sent in. If any blood relatives have sent their DNA in it will direct you to their user name and give their relationship to you. It will also direct you to any of their family trees. (if they have constructed any)

Past a point it gets fairly meaningless,...8th cousins and so forth,...but my DNA was matched to two 1st/2nd cousins and a whole string of 3rd cousins.

And,...it's bound to grow as time passes.

This stuff is just getting started. If it continues to grow, as I think it will, it's going to be hugely informative.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/21/14
Thanks for posting Bristoe. Those are neat pictures. If last names mean anything, most all of my ancestors came from England or Ireland....except my great grandma who was half Native American. There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Thanks for posting Bristoe. Those are neat pictures. If last names mean anything, most all of my ancestors came from England or Ireland....except my great grandma who was half Native American. There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

You can find out for sure for $90,...and it's not always as cut and dried as it may seem.

Even though one side of my family can be traced to Cornwall, my DNA analysis indicates that only 7% of my DNA shows a connection to Great Britian.

So,..even though that ancestor was living in Cornwall, his family had immigrated there at some point,...most likely from non Great Britian Western Europe,..like Germany or France.

Apparently, English DNA has markers that can distinguish it from the rest of Western Europe,..same with Ireland. But the French and Germans and that area are essentially one people.

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Iberian Peninsula of western europe,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

Its interesting stuff,...but it gets very interesting when they stick your DNA in the database and start showing you your living relatives and how they're related to you,...many times with contact information. (through the ancestry.com webpage)

Of course, you remain anonymous unless you choose not to.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by Bristoe

You can find out for sure for $90,...and it's not always as cut and dried as it may seem.

Even though one side of my family can be traced to Cornwall, my DNA analysis indicates that only 7% of my DNA shows a connection to Great Britian.

So,..even though that ancestor was living in Cornwall, his family had immigrated there at some point,...most likely from non Great Britian Western Europe,..like Germany or France.

Apparently, English DNA has markers that can distinguish it from the rest of Western Europe,..same with Ireland. But the French and Germans and that area are essentially one people.

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Ibernian Peninsula,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

Its interesting stuff,...but it gets very interesting when they stick your DNA in the database and start showing you your living relatives and how they're related to you,...many times with contact information. (through the ancestry.com webpage)

Of course, you remain anonymous unless you choose not to.

I would love to do it once the dust settles with the holidays. I tried to find out where my dad's family was from when we traveled to Germany. The name was not known enough for me to think the family came from there, but I could be wrong. I found more evidence of the British and Irish roots.

Some people could care less to know of their ancestory, but I think the topic is fascinting. I bet there will be some surprises based on what you have learned.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

The Pennsylvania Dutch aren't actually Dutch, they're German. It's not a religion, it's people from the southwest part of Germany that settled in Pennsylvania. The word "Dutch" actually doesn't have anything to do with what we think of as the Dutch (people from the Netherlands) but comes from Deutsch which means "the people" in German and also refers to the German language. Today people think of the Pennsylvania Dutch as the Amish and Mennonites, but originally you had a bunch of other groups that immigrated and settled in middle Pennsylvania also. Over the centuries they have integrated into the american melting pot while the Amish and Mennonites have kept themselves separate which means they're the only distinct Pennsylvania Dutch groups left. My father's people were originally Pennsylvania Dutch, Lutheran in religion, then migrated to North Carolina and fanned out across the south. Most germans anglicized their names when they hit the colonies to better fit in with the english. Weiss would become White, Schwartz would become Black, Braun would become Brown, Schmidt would become Smith, etc. Just because a person's last name sounds English doesn't mean it isn't German, the spelling was likely changed when they hit the shore.

Other DNA markers can be found in the people from the Iberian Peninsula of western europe,..and Eastern Europeans/Russians can be distinguished from Western Europeans.

This is a good book to read if you're really interested in the genetic makeup of europe. It's mainly centered on the British Isles but goes into detail about mainland europe because you can't really separate the two, there was so much immigration to Britain through pre-history that made up who the English, Irish, and Scottish are.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Saxons_Vikings_and_Celts.html?id=KDPEteL4L5wC

Essentially the ancient inhabitants of the British Isles are very closely related to the people in northwestern Spain and southwest France, the Basque region. A lot of the genetic markers that distinguish a Brit or Irishman from a German are those related to the Iberian peninsula. After the fall of Rome there were a lot of invasions of the British Isles, originally the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes which were German tribes, then eventually the Vikings from Scandinavia who contributed a lot of DNA to the mix. One thing I found interesting is that Sykes, the author of the book, said that it's basically impossible to genetically tell a German from a Scandinavian, the Vikings and Germans were genetically one people.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Thanks, guy,...I need to give that a read.

I've been putting this stuff together for the past few weeks and that book looks like it's something that I need to internalize.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Bristoe, Funny you bring all of this up. My wife has worked on this for 3 years maybe. I told her all I cared about was direct line out from me. So we got back to Europe of course. First one USA was 1656 Virgina, 7th great grandfather came from England.

Anyway, so I look at my wife and said did you know that they do DNA on you family program deal. She looked at me and said yes. I've done that. I said what, then she said oldest son had done it too. Surprise surprise.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Many years ago National Geographic did the DNA thing. Sent for the kit and got a nice report back. Very general as to what group I was with when we left Africa and how we wondered around till we settled in Europe (Germany)
One of my cousins who was a College Prof did a search where he even went to Germany to check records, graveyards and government doc's.
He went all the way back into the 16th Century with names, dates and occupations. A few doctors in there, one was even the doctor to the king and queen of some state back in the 1600's
I'm only a 2nd gen. American, both grandparents came over from Germany around the turn of the century, according to my cousin we still have a lot of family in the old country.
70 years ago we had family shooting at family during WWII
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Damn, Bristoe, after you mentioning your folks were from the "bootheel" of Mo., I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

My Father's Father was James K.Polk Williams, the name he was given when his Mama dropped him off as a 12 year old at the Indian School at Decatur,Tx.

The records give her name, which I can't spell or pronounce, and say she was a "Comanche who lived with the Wichitas".

Father was listed as "unknown white man, BELIEVED TO BE BE FROM MISSOURI.

spell it out, curdog.

we might be cousins.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
I've never met you, but I guarandamntee you that I've got worse ones than you'd be.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are some family that say Dutch and others say it was a religion called Pennsylvania Dutch [I hope I got that right].

The Pennsylvania Dutch aren't actually Dutch, they're German. It's not a religion, it's people from the southwest part of Germany that settled in Pennsylvania. The word "Dutch" actually doesn't have anything to do with what we think of as the Dutch (people from the Netherlands) but comes from Deutsch which means "the people" in German and also refers to the German language. Today people think of the Pennsylvania Dutch as the Amish and Mennonites, but originally you had a bunch of other groups that immigrated and settled in middle Pennsylvania also. Over the centuries they have integrated into the american melting pot while the Amish and Mennonites have kept themselves separate which means they're the only distinct Pennsylvania Dutch groups left. My father's people were originally Pennsylvania Dutch, Lutheran in religion, then migrated to North Carolina and fanned out across the south. Most germans anglicized their names when they hit the colonies to better fit in with the english. Weiss would become White, Schwartz would become Black, Braun would become Brown, Schmidt would become Smith, etc. Just because a person's last name sounds English doesn't mean it isn't German, the spelling was likely changed when they hit the shore.

This is very interesting. Thank you for the clarification.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
I'm only a couple generations removed from some that spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. All I know is that it was a corruption of German. I presume it'd be similar to the Hutterites and Mennonites in that it'd be a dialect of Low German, but I could be in error and actually be a corruption of High German.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
I didn't know anything about it, but my wife found out about it and ordered a kit for both of us. She sent hers off and there was no surprises. She's Russian/Polish and the results yielded that she was a 99% Slavik purebred. My kit laid around here and I never got around to doing it up, but my brother indicated that he was interested so I gave it to him to do.

The outcome was interesting. Both of us are fair skinned with light, fine textured reddish hair and there was quite a bit known about our maternal side of the family. Dad's side however was a mystery. Dad was darkish complected with black hair and he tanned up in the sun. Word was that it was from a hit of native american somewhere back in there somewhere.

Well,..the results came back and there was no native american indicated. It seems that the dark complexion stuff in my family comes from the Iberian peninsula of Europe,....Spain/Portugal,..that stuff. 25% came from Ireland,..no surprise there. But only 7% of our DNA was associated with Great Britain. The majority (44%) could be traced to Germany, France,...alla the non Great Britain Western European people and a pretty good dollup was from Scandinavia.

All of this was interesting, but the biggest hit from the test was from the DNA database that ancestry.com is keeping which compares your DNA to others that have been sent in and lists people who are related to you.

I've yet to learn who the person is, but someone very closely related to me on my father's side had sent in family histories and some pictures.

I pulled up the page and found a picture of my grandmother and my uncle that I had never seen.

I've been sitting here at the computer for 2 days finding out my father's family history.

It's worth doing,...no chit.

I think it's going to explode once it catches on and enough people get involved to string out some in depth family trees.

I have had three DNA Testing's done and they all come back that I'm a Martin not Anderson. My Grandfather on my Father side never knew who his Father was and took the name Anderson from my Great Grandmother or i should say his Mother. My DNA show 99.9% on three test that My Great Grandfather was a Martin.
My wife got me the DNA kit for Christmas last year, I kept forgetting about it. This thread reminded me and it'll be in the mail tomorrow. Interesting stuff for sure. I know I had a great grandfather come over from Wales, I have his identification allowing him to travel into and out of Alaska waaaaay back when. I have no idea about the rest of my family except family lore. But I put no stock in my family lore (excepting personal histories and achievements) or anyone elses. "My family came over on the Mayflower" or "I'm descended from Julius Caesar" just make me laugh. possible? Yes. But that assumes there were no illegitimate births, or adoptions, or various critters in the woodpile.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'm only a couple generations removed from some that spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. All I know is that it was a corruption of German. I presume it'd be similar to the Hutterites and Mennonites in that it'd be a dialect of Low German, but I could be in error and actually be a corruption of High German.

Pennsylvania Dutch is descended from Palatine German which is the dialect spoken in the southwest of Germany around Heidelberg and Mannheim. It's a type of High German. I believe some Mennonites speak a different dialect that's a version of low German.
Good to know, thanks! FWIW I do know that the Hutterites and Mennonites speak a dialect of Low German that nobody else can speak. Of course there are different kinds of Mennonites too. wink
Posted By: Dutch Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
I've spent a little time with Hutterites, and with my meager German, and if I can get them to slow down, I can understand it, for the most part.

As far as I know, I'm Dutch on my father's side to 1611, and then probably French/Basque.

Thing is, I just can't find the motivation to care a whit what some 7th generation grand father did for a living.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
There's a large Amish community around Marion, Ky. We used to stop in and shop some at a Amish general store there. They often spoke between each other in a what sounded to me like a German dialect.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Originally Posted by jbmi
Many years ago National Geographic did the DNA thing. Sent for the kit and got a nice report back. Very general as to what group I was with when we left Africa and how we wondered around till we settled in Europe (Germany)
One of my cousins who was a College Prof did a search where he even went to Germany to check records, graveyards and government doc's.
He went all the way back into the 16th Century with names, dates and occupations. A few doctors in there, one was even the doctor to the king and queen of some state back in the 1600's
I'm only a 2nd gen. American, both grandparents came over from Germany around the turn of the century, according to my cousin we still have a lot of family in the old country.

My wifes family were shooting at each other in the Civil War. the family basically split with some going to Indiana and some going to Missouri. One tale is a Northern cousin looking out for a wounded southern cousin POW. Another tale is a father and son from Indiana surviving Andersonville. There is so much to try and track down.
Posted By: asphaltangel Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by jbmi

My wifes family were shooting at each other in the Civil War. the family basically split with some going to Indiana and some going to Missouri. One tale is a Northern cousin looking out for a wounded southern cousin POW. Another tale is a father and son from Indiana surviving Andersonville. There is so much to try and track down.

It would still be fun if time allows. I don't know about you, but I'm very grateful for all the branches on my family tree. I've heard about family trees that are lacking branches in some parts... eek
Originally Posted by isaac
Very cool. My grandmother once shared with me that her own mom's mother(my great,great grandmother, I suppose)stated that John Wilkes Booth was some limb on our tree. Never bothered to verify.

Any familiar surnames in this list?

This is the family line of John Wilkes Booth

1 Junius Brutus Booth I b: 01 May 1796 in St Pancras, London, England d: 30 Nov 1852 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
+Marie Christine Adelaide Delannoy b: 1790 in Brussels, Belgium d: 09 Mar 1858 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
2 Amelia Booth b: 05 Oct 1815 in London, England d: 1816 in London, England
2 Richard Junius Booth b: 21 Jan 1819 in London, England d: 16 Dec 1868 in London, London, England
+Sarah Pearson Ware b: 1820 in England d: 14 Nov 1868 in London, London, England
3 Alphosia Booth b: 1840 in Baltimore, Maryland d: in England
3 Amele Booth b: 1842 in Baltimore, Maryland d: in England
3 Delvith Booth b: 1846 in Baltimore, Maryland d: in England
3 John Booth b: 1850 in Baltimore, Maryland d: in England
*2nd Wife of Junius Brutus Booth I:
+Mary Ann Holmes b: 29 Aug 1802 in Lambeth, London, England d: 22 Oct 1885 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts
2 Junius Brutus Booth II b: 22 Dec 1821 in Charleston, South Carolina d: 16 Sep 1883 in Manchester, Essex County, Massachusetts
+Harriet Mace b: Abt. 1820 in New York, New York d: 28 Aug 1859 in San Francisco, California
3 Infant Booth b: Abt. 1852 in San Francisco, California d: Abt. 1852 in San Francisco, California
3 Marie Edwin Rosalle Booth b: Abt. 1852 in San Francisco, California d: 10 Mar 1932 in New York, New York
+Byron F Douglass b: 29 Mar 1869 in Cumberland County, Maine d: 21 Apr 1935 in New York, New York
4 Daughter Douglass b: Abt. 1883 d: Bef. 1910
4 Ediwn Booth Douglass b: Abt. 1890 in New York, New York d: Bef. 1910
*2nd Wife of Junius Brutus Booth II:
+Clementina DeBar b: Abt. 1808 in London, England d: Aft. 1870 in United States
3 Blanche DeBar Booth b: Apr 1844 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 14 Apr 1930 in Amityville, Long Isalnd, New York
+George Washington Riddell b: 1840 in Pennsylvania d: Jan 1901 in Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota
*3rd Wife of Junius Brutus Booth II:
+Marion Agnes Land Rookes b: 04 Oct 1843 in Sydney, Australia d: 02 Jan 1910 in Brookline, Norfolk County, Massachusetts
3 Junius Brutus Booth III b: 06 Jan 1868 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: 06 Dec 1912 in Brightlingsea, Essex, England
+Florence Elizabeth Marie Edviga Noah b: May 1859 in England d: 06 Dec 1912 in Brightlingsea, Essex, England
3 Algernon Booth b: 28 Jul 1869 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: 1877 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts
3 Sydney Barton Booth b: 29 Jan 1873 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: 05 Feb 1937 in Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut
+Elizabeth P Snyder b: 1875 in District of Columbia
4 Elizabeth Barton Booth b: 09 Mar 1905 in New York, New York
3 Barton J Booth b: 29 Aug 1875 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: Jul 1880 in Manchester, Essex County, Massachusetts
2 Rosalie Ann Booth b: 05 Jul 1823 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 15 Jan 1889 in New Jersey
2 Henry Byron Booth b: 1825 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 28 Dec 1836 in London, England
2 Mary Ann Booth b: 1827 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: Feb 1833 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland
2 Frederick Booth b: 1830 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: Feb 1833 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland
2 Elizabeth Booth b: 1832 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: Feb 1833 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland
2 Edwin Thomas Booth b: 13 Nov 1833 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 07 Jun 1893 in New York, New York
+Mary Frances McVicker b: Sep 1848 in New York d: 13 Nov 1881 in New York
3 Edgar Booth b: 04 Jul 1870 in New York d: 04 Jul 1870 in New York
*2nd Wife of Edwin Thomas Booth:
+Mary Devlin b: 19 May 1840 in Troy, New York d: 21 Feb 1863 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts
3 Edwina Booth b: 09 Dec 1861 in Fulham, England d: 25 Dec 1938 in New York, New York
+Ignatius R Grossman b: 06 Jun 1852 in Kasson, Hungary d: in New York, New York
4 Mildred Booth Grossman b: 24 Mar 1886 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: 22 Nov 1960 in Los Angeles, California
+Cleveland Livingston Waterbury b: 20 Feb 1886 in New York City, New York d: 16 Aug 1937 in Tyler, Smith County, Texas
5 Edwin Booth Waterbury b: 04 Jan 1917 in New York, New York d: Jul 1974 in Los Angeles, California
+Susanna Keifer Reynolds b: 08 Oct 1912 in Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio d: 01 Jun 1987 in Los Angeles, California
5 Edwina Booth Waterbury b: 07 Nov 1918 in New York, New York d: 10 Dec 1985 in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles,
California
+Richard H Cutting
*2nd Husband of Mildred Booth Grossman:
+Arthur Colburn Tilton b: 31 Dec 1887 in Norwood, Norfolk, Massachusetts d: 04 Jul 1953 in Los Angeles, California
4 Edwin Booth Grossman b: 09 Apr 1887 in Boston, Sufflok, Massachusetts d: 1957
+Helen Lamar Foos b: 14 Aug 1890 in New York d: Jun 1981 in Larchmont, Westchester, New York
5 Lois L Grossman b: 1912 in New York
2 Asia Sydney Booth b: 20 Nov 1835 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 16 May 1888 in Bournemouth, England
+John Sleeper Clarke b: 03 Sep 1833 in Baltimore, Maryland d: 25 Sep 1899 in Middlesex, Surrey, United Kingdom
3 Asia Agnes Dorothy Clarke b: Mar 1860 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: Dec 1918 in London, Middlesex, England
+Rhys Daniel Morgan b: Abt. 1855 in Wales
4 Ethel May Morgan b: Abt. 1885 in United Kingdom
*2nd Husband of Asia Agnes Dorothy Clarke:
+Neil Augustus Richard Leitch b: Sep 1860 in Kent, England d: 28 Apr 1937 in Perth, Scotland
3 Edwin T Clarke b: 1861 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 10 Dec 1881 in England
3 Lillian Theresa Clarke b: Abt. 1862 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 1866
3 Adrienne Clarke b: 23 May 1863 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: Aft. 1920
3 Creston Clarke b: 20 Aug 1865 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 21 Mar 1910 in Charleston, North Carolina
+Adelaide Rubenstein b: 13 Dec 1866 in London, England d: 04 Apr 1941 in Shawnee-on-Delaware, Pennsylvania
4 Harry Prince b: 31 Aug 1889 in Galveston, Galveston County, Texas d: 18 Jun 1978 in Santa Monica, Los Angeles County,
California
+Nora Bayes b: 03 Oct 1880 in Joliet, Illinois d: 1928 in New York
*2nd Wife of Harry Prince:
+Mildred M Clork b: 21 Jul 1901 in Texas d: 25 Oct 1966 in Los Angeles County, California
4 Ethel A Prince b: 16 Apr 1887 in Galveston, Galveston County, Texas d: 12 Apr 1971 in Palm Beach County, Florida
+Bernard Fairfax b: 29 Mar 1879 in Willesden, London, England d: Oct 1963 in Palm Beach County, Florida

5 Lynn Fairfax b: 28 Feb 1926 in New York d: Aft. 1934
3 Wilfred Booth Clarke b: 20 Aug 1865 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 1930 in Manhattan, New York, New York
+Victory Bateman b: 06 Apr 1865 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d: 02 Mar 1926 in Los Angeles, California
*2nd Wife of Wilfred Booth Clarke:
+Grace Menken b: 1899 in New York
3 Ivan Clarke b: Dec 1869 in London, Middlesex, United Kingdom d: Dec 1869 in London, Middlesex, United Kingdom
2 John Wilkes Booth b: 10 May 1838 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 26 Apr 1865 in Caroline County, Virginia
2 Joseph Adrian Booth b: 06 Feb 1840 in Bel Air, Harford, Maryland d: 26 Feb 1902 in New York, New York
+Cora Estelle Mitchell b: 21 Oct 1870 in Chowan County, North Carolina d: 04 Mar 1936
3 Edwin Booth b: 1894 d: 1895
Posted By: hatari Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
,...one of my daughters who will graduate dental school in May,..

[Linked Image]

Hope she has a wonderful career!
Best wish to her.
Posted By: ghost Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
As previously noted, the DNA will not tell you who any ancestors are, just what nationalities you have in your genes. I was surprised to find that, despite an English surname had more Italian blood, than English (from the Romans being there a few (1000s of ) years back. Was mostly Irish, and German, etc. Tracking down ancestors per se is a lot of time consuming work, and took about 20 years. Some of my ancestors recent, on my mother's side, came over about the time of the Civil War, and one was in it. But the family name group came here about 1700, to Chestertown Md area, and have that documented. Big problem being the lack of records. Doesn't matter what a 7th gr grandfather did as work, it's that they and everyone else in your background is what make YOU you. Anyway, the DNA will not reviel who your relatives are.
Anyway, the DNA will not reviel who your relatives are.

Your DNA that you submit to ancestry.com is placed in a data base and it will be compared with others that have been sent in.

If any of your relatives have submitted their DNA, their user names will be made available to you as will their relationship to you within certain constraints.

I know who this person is who showed up on my page. It is the son of my first cousin.

Here's how ancestry.com described the DNA match with this person.

Predicted Relationship Info: 2nd Cousins
Our analysis of your DNA predicts that this person you match with is probably your second cousin.
The exact relationship can vary. It could be a first cousin once removed, or a great-great aunt.
While there may be some statistical variation in our prediction, it's likely to be a second cousin type relationship � which are separated by 6 degrees or six people.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
Originally Posted by isaac

Bob, my Dad told me the same thing several years ago. Ironically, my wife claims to be related to Abraham Lincoln. shocked
Posted By: rattler Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/22/14
my wife claims to be related to Jesse James.....shoulda told me something........
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/25/14
I gave one of these kits to my wife for Xmas. We will see what (who) shakes out of the tree................Thanks Bristoe.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Ancestry.com DNA - 12/25/14
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I was also adopted shortly after birth. I had a half sister who dug into this and found me and our mother. We all have a great relationship now. Most of my mother's family all came from MO and not sure who my father is. She told me one guy and when I wrote to him, he denied it! Maybe he thought I was a gold digger. Might have to try this DNA thing!
© 24hourcampfire