----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Which 'WE' is that?

You know what I meant, you sack of nuts. Now we know why all my girls look Russian.

Hmmm I know where your family is from. You never know what "we" are cousins mean lol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
lol,...y'all need to drop a few bucks and do that ancestry.com DNA thing.

If,...for no other reason,..it'll give you something to do during the winter months.

I don't expect that I'll get involved in any type of significant socializations with a lot of my relatives, but I've long wondered about who they were, where they are, and what they do,..and I hope to exchange a few e-mails with some of them here and there.

My mom's family is all still congregated in the same area,...or if they're not, people know where they are,..but my dad's side of the family has always been wild seed.

It's going to be fun tracking them down and saying, "hey!".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever see that show "Step Brothers"?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever see that show "Step Brothers"?
No,should I?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Which 'WE' is that?

You know what I meant, you sack of nuts. Now we know why all my girls look Russian.

Hmmm I know where your family is from. You never know what "we" are cousins mean lol.

No sh1t. I was just proud to see there wasn't anything from the Congo.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, that's another process, which includes a lot of work (I'm our families genealogist). You will possibly get inquiries from folks who think they might be related to you, but not a "hey here's your whole history" thing. I had mine done, was suprised , since family name is English, to find we're mostly IRISH, (GOD! ,lol)
18% Italian (from the Romans in England(, about 6% English, and the rest Germans etc. I have the family traced back t0 1700 on the family name side, and some of the others came here in the mid 1800s..mom's side has to many dead ends..

Have a god kid, black girl. Had her's done too. She's 65% Nigerian and that area, 30% European (German),and 5% other. She was delighted to find where he ancestors were from. Too many American blacks think they're from Kenya and such places, but 95% of them go back to Nigeria and that area, as that's where the slaves brough here (black ones anyway) were from.

Really interesting to see just what your background is. But with the family being here for 300+ years, am a 10th generation American and ONLY an American. As can be seen, even the English, are mixes of other people. Look into it, you'll be amazed.

Ghost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a sixth generation Texas on both sides. I wasn't worried about what went on before that. I was worried about the woodpiles of the last century. smile

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ghost
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, .

It will to the extent that people related to you have submitted DNA to them.

I've seen enough to know.

I have no idea who some of the people who have submitted DNA are,...but I know who the pics are and know how they are related to me.

It's been a shocking experience to me to see the pics of my relatives that I've never seen and to recognize them.

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I recognize my uncle,...but I had never seen that particular pic of him.

I know what my grandmother looked like,...but I had never seen that pic of her.

Both of them were directed to me through people who had submitted DNA through ancestry.com.

You need to know what you're talking about before you run your mouth,...but as we all know, that's not a requirement on here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ghost
The Ancestry DNA test will not ID relatives for you, that's another process, which includes a lot of work (I'm our families genealogist). You will possibly get inquiries from folks who think they might be related to you....

I hope you don't do like our genealogist did and research himself out of the family. He worked quite hard researching the family back in the late '70's and early '80's when said research meant a lot of traveling and he would send monthly news letter updates. Until he found out he was from a different, distant branch of the family and decided he would go that direction.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for posting this Bristoe. I find family history and especially photos very interesting.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done! cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are all mutts. Even royalty is. Our cultural differences and upbringing account for most of our differences, but still, genetics is a strong force. Ask any dog breeder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of my great-grandparents were orphans, so it would be interesting to see what the quarter of me that we know nothing of is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
always wanted to do this....moms side of the family is well known most of it is about 100 years off the boat from Norway and what isnt Norske isnt long off the boat from Germany, actually have a "book" one of my moms aunts did on her dads side and ive got his family roots traced back to prolly the late 1700's in Norway and pics of the family farm over there ect....actually still have living relatives over there, my mom met them but i havent....

dads side pinballed around the states pretty good and less is known to me farther back than grandma and grandpa....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
my wife ordered the kit as a gift on my last birthday.

sent the test in (read that "spit"), and got the results back recently.

was surprised--one thing i was absolutely sure was there--was absent. another that i suspected was there--was in fact there.

to me it was worth the paltry $100.00 leaving our household.

we started on the trees about a month ago.

if you're sitting on the fence--my thought is, it's a fairly inexpensive outlay to obtain the info...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same people that tell all of Nigeria that they are related to a mega rich prince probably smile

Last edited by NathanL; 12/14/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Interesting.... [b][color:#3333FF]$89 bucks, save 10%[/color][/b] for Christmas...

So now "The Man" has your DNA, wonder what they'll do with it.?

The Man has had my DNA for years. The Navy took mouth swabs for their records.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 988 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.