Home
Posted By: woofer Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Broke it out. Need to enlighten the GF about the virtues of Venison.... She hates the smell of it. Thought a crock pot may help...

Have roasts etc....

W
Posted By: eyeball Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Taken from doe or pre-rut bucks, huh?
Posted By: woofer Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Does and a RUT buck...

W
Flave's recipe for combo's in the cooking section is outstanding. PM me if you have trouble finding it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Add some garlic and lots of red wine.
Posted By: deflave Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8223682/Italian_Beef_(Pic_heavy)#Post8223682
Posted By: deflave Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
If she doesn't like that you can hold her head under the broth until she stops thrashing.

Win/win!

Travis
Posted By: WITUfan Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
I put it in the crock pot on low over night, let roast or rough cuts cool then shred with a fork and pour the BBQ sauce to it. Pulled venison sandwiches - excellent and easy!
Posted By: add Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Originally Posted by woofer
Broke it out. Need to enlighten the GF about the virtues of Venison.... She hates the smell of it.

A splash of Hoppe's No. 9 to the mix.
Posted By: woofer Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/20/15
Yo Flave. Tried the waterboarding method with generic human extremities and no luck. Looked for the cooking, thanks for the link...

W
Posted By: deflave Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
That schit be good yo.

Travis
Can't say I care for the smell of venison raw or until it's about half done either. Past that it's ambrosia.

My grandmother's method was to take slices of round (I think) and put in a roaster, smother with onions, and shove in the wood stove for the afternoon. More like 2 or 3 hours actually but the oven was on the high side of moderate. Basically cook the crap out of it. Then make pan gravy (on the thin side, like thickened drippings) with a little leftover coffee and serve with polenta. Nobody didn't love it.

I suppose you could accomplish the same with a crock pot and make gravy separately. I would add garlic but I love garlic. Season with just salt and pepper.

And of course trim off every bit of fat.
Cube your venison into chunks like stew meat, add potatoes, carrots, peas and whatever other vegetables both of you like. Add beef broth till it nearly covers the meat and vegetables, turn the crock pot on high till everything is heated thru then on low for 3-4 hours. Add one cup of red cooking wine during the last hour. Everyone who has tried this venison lover or not has enjoyed it, you could substitute two teaspoons of liquid smoke for the red wine if you prefer a smokey flavor.
two tablespoons of liquid smoke

shocked Not the brand I use. More like a capful and the bottle has a small cap.

Sounds delicious otherwise. For wine I'd prefer a little, like a tablespoon or two, of dry vermouth. It can be overpowering if you're not careful. For red a sweet Marsala would be nice. For venison particularly I add a pinch of sugar to a stew. Think like a seasoning, not enough so you can taste it but it adds a little something.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
Originally Posted by 1minute
Add some garlic and lots of red wine.

Yeah, get her drunk first.
can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of tomato soup, about an hour or two before you want to eat it add in potatoes/carrots. super easy and delicious. make some crescent rolls to go with it if you wish, or fresh asparagus and butter. season to taste.
Cubed venison, 4 cans of rotell, one of those chipotle's packed in that sauce, a can of corn (drained), diced onion, chile powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, all on low for ~6 hours. Toss in a drained can of kidney beans the last hour and serve up with some cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cornbread.

Can't make this stuff often enough at work. Everyone loves it.

I may have even sniped that recipe from this website, I don't recall.
Posted By: lwr308 Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
This works. One chopped onion, Can of mushroom soup, 1/2 packet McCormick Beef Stew mix, and a can of water. Sounds to easy to be great - but it is.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of tomato soup, about an hour or two before you want to eat it add in potatoes/carrots. super easy and delicious. make some crescent rolls to go with it if you wish, or fresh asparagus and butter. season to taste.

This^^^, plus a couple packs of liptons dry onion soup mix, two onions chopped into 8 pieces each, 4 cups of this mornings coffee, a few chopped garlic pods, heaping table spoon of mustard, no freaking corn, a big pile of chopped celery, another can of cream of mushroom soup, tablespoon of wooster, garlic powder, more garlic powder. Cook.
We have this crock pot venison frequently,

Venison shoulder roast in bottom of crock pot
Sprinkle dry onion soup mix on top of the roast
1/4 cup of Heinz 57 sauce on top of roast
1 can of French onion soup on top of roast
Couple lbs of diced potatoes
Hand full of diced carrots
Small onion quartered
Add 1 can of Campbell yellow mushroom soup mix (mixed into potatoes and carrots)
1/2 can of water

Cook on high for a couple of hours than on low for 7-8 hours.

This is very tender and awesome venison stew.
Posted By: kciH Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
Cook it like good beef, slowly if it's a roast cut. As mentioned, gravy and wine are a good tactic. The main thing to take into account is to remove all the fat you can from a roast, as the tongue-coating tendency of tallow is a pretty big turn off for those what are not into venison. A proper rogering after the meal goes a long way toward fond memories of the meal, all the more if you get her wined up in advance.
I make my own dark beer and use it in the crock pot with deer. Salt, Pepper, a very little liquid smoke, and cajun season. Always a hit here..
Posted By: las Re: Crock pot Venison recipes? - 02/21/15
Get a new girlfriend.
© 24hourcampfire