Home

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-assassination-author/?intcmp=latestnews

After the 1981 assassination attempt on his life, former President Ronald Reagan reportedly began carrying a gun almost everywhere he went, bestselling thriller author Brad Meltzer told MyFoxNY Monday.

Meltzer, who discovered the reported gun's existence for himself after speaking with a Secret Service employee at the agency’s museum, called it an “incredible revelation.”

Reagan reportedly carried the gun in his briefcase and would even take it on Air Force One, Meltzer said.

“I trust these [Secret Service] people around me, but if someone comes at me again, I want to be prepared,” Reagan reportedly said in explaining the action, according to Meltzer.

Reagan understood personal responsibility.
That's news?? IIRC, that was reported many, many years ago..
I guess I never heard it
I recall reading an interview with a Secret Service agent who was part of the presidential detail during the Reagan years. As the President was preparing to make an appearance, he slipped a pistol into his waistband. The Sercet Service agent asked him why he was packing. Mr. Reagan said something to the effect of, "In case you fellows need some help."

RS
I'm not sure how excited I'd be about ol' shakes packin' a pistol if I was on his security detail.

Especially by his second term.
Reagan would have passed Teddy as President Badass #1 if he got into a shootout on the white house lawn with a would be assassin

actually, probably not, Teddy has a resume of badassery
No reason why he should not have carried
I'm not sure how excited I'd be about ol' shakes packin' a pistol if I was on his security detail.

Every individual has the right to exercise their second amendment rights...even the President of the United States.
Somebody showed the gun yesterday.
An average .38 revolver.
I'd carry too, if I was president.
Originally Posted by KFWA

Reagan reportedly carried the gun in his briefcase and would even take it on Air Force One, Meltzer said.

I love this kind of stuff....as if the reporter was shocked he'd carry it on a plane...

Its his gun and his plane....( at least temporarily..)
Originally Posted by okie

Except that as President and Commander-in-Chief, his responsibility is to the nation and it would be irresponsible for him to be exposed (while shooting back). The Secret Service (in spite of the recent stupid incidents) is dedicated to protecting the President (a difficult enough job) and it is more difficult to protect a standing, moving person than one who has been pushed into an armored limo.

Of course, I'd probably feel more secure if I was armed too.
The reporter also stated it was not clear as to when he started carrying. It became known after the Hinckley shooting. Also, TR always carried as well.
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by okie

Except that as President and Commander-in-Chief, his responsibility is to the nation and it would be irresponsible for him to be exposed (while shooting back). The Secret Service (in spite of the recent stupid incidents) is dedicated to protecting the President (a difficult enough job) and it is more difficult to protect a standing, moving person than one who has been pushed into an armored limo.

Of course, I'd probably feel more secure if I was armed too.

You're assuming that his being armed would cause him to not follow protocol.

Travis
Big deal. I'd carry too if I got shot. Probably a Mossberg pump without a plug.

Putin only thinks he's macho!

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire