Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Best Bed? - 02/21/16
After about 4 years, mine is shot. Sagging, POS.

What have you guys found to be the best?

Looking at the Heavenly Bed by Westin they use in high end motels.

Any input on them, or others?

Thanks!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Tempur-Pedic.

Sleep Number.

That should about wrap it up. At the risk of being flippant, you're likely going to get about a 50-50 split between those two, with ardent backers of both, so good luck figuring it out. smile
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Tempur-Pedic.

Sleep Number.

That should about wrap it up. At the risk of being flippant, you're likely going to get about a 50-50 split between those two, with ardent backers of both, so good luck figuring it out. smile

Sounds like the presidential election.

Hope I don't get my head bashed in when I make a choice... grin
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
I dont know about the newer stuff and never slept on one, that I know of.

In '95, we bought the top-of-the-line Sealy and it's still going strong. Wife put a pad on top and she rotates the mattress about twice a year.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
you killed a bed in 4 years? you da man
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Tempur-Pedic.

Sleep Number.

+1
And I've had both.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Tempur-Pedic.

Sleep Number.

+1
And I've had both.

One or the other will satisfy most people.

I've had my Sleep Number almost 10 years. Still happy.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
We have a sleep number. After 5 years, the air hasn't broken down or got saggy. If it does, we'll deflate it and order new air from Amazon.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Flotation system.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16

BTW, as to coil spring mattresses: never again.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Originally Posted by rem141r
you killed a bed in 4 years? you da man

He has a whole new level of respect from me.

Sleep #! Makes ya sleep like a baby.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
After about 13 months on a new Tempur pedic, at 3500$, not sure I would do it again.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
We had a Tempur-pedic for less than a year and sold it; just didn't agree with me.

We bought a Casper mattress over a year ago and have both been extremely pleased. My wife has back issues and is very picky about comfort, and I'm a side sleeper. We tried it with their 100-night free trial figuring we had nothing to lose...never even thought about sending it back. My youngest daughter now has one as well.

I found a $50 discount code so our King size Casper was $900 shipped and I didn't have to screw with salespeople at the store.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Rockinbar: We are 17 years into our second (latest) set of Beauty Rest brand box springs and mattress - we LOVE them!
And as of now they show NO sign of fatigue or disrepair.
I also HIGHLY recommend the "California King Size".
Aaaahhhh....
Best of luck to you with whichever brand you choose - not much is more important than quality sleep.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
We liked our original mid-range Sleep Number so much we put it in the gust room and upgraded to a higher-end Sleep Number.

We've used conventional mattresses and one of those gel Intellibeds. None were anything near as good as the Sleep Number.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rockinbar: We are 17 years into our second (latest) set of Beauty Rest brand box springs and mattress - we LOVE them!
And as of now they show NO sign of fatigue or disrepair.
I also HIGHLY recommend the "California King Size".
Aaaahhhh....
Best of luck to you with whichever brand you choose - not much is more important than quality sleep.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That what I trashed in 4 years.

Simmons Beauty Rest Pillowtop Classic.

Has sink holes in it.

I doubt I'll get another inner spring mattress.

Sockpuppet, that Casper looks interesting. It appears as if it's a Tempurpedic without the cost.
Thanks for the input guys! smile
Posted By: cal74 Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Originally Posted by Kenneth
After about 13 months on a new Tempur pedic, at 3500$, not sure I would do it again.

I'm on about four years and about the same money, I don't mind it most nights but my gf hates it.

We've supposedly have one of the softer ones and it's still kinda hard especially in the winter when the up-stairs stays cooler due to having a fire on the main level.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Sleep Number. We bought the base model. They are all the same unless you are getting the reclining model. All the same. The only difference is the foam pad on it. We bought a firm 4" topper on Oveestock.com and have slep really well on this. Better than we have slept in a long, long time.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I have a Serta iComfort mattress, which like Temurpedic, is memory foam. But I found it to have a softer, more comfortable feel and less hot. And it cost about a quarter of the price on sale. Mine is a basic model but it works great. It retailed for around $1500 but I waited for a sale and got it for around $500, queen size.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
My wife wanted a new mattress and she went in and bought one last Monday.

Pretty small store here locally and they don't stock the fancy chit so I said try to stay under $1500.

She picked out the firmest bed they had, some sort of spring version Sealy. The 'nice/$$$' softer ones were more double and triple the price but luckily we both wanted a firm bed.

$500 for a queen, so far we both love it. If it last +10 years like the old we had it will be beyond worth the money.

Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
We bought a new one from a small manufacturer in OKC. They've been in business over 100 years and you can get about anything you want. They tie the springs in house if you want an inner spring. We went with a latex mattress that they build and layer in house also. It's made of organic latex, talalay or something. Whatever it is, it's one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Toby Keith buys his beds from there as well, not that I honestly care, just thought that it was interesting and cool that he supports a small business like that. Either way, it may be a direction that you want to look.
Posted By: HuntSleepRepeat Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Go to the mattress store and lay on all of them.
Personally I have had a extra firm Sealy posturepedic for the past 10 years and it has NOT gotten the dreaded saggy spot ( I do flip it over every 6 months tho )

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
We had an innerspring which was starting to sag. I did quite a bit of research and decided to go with foam.

Temperpedic is top of the line and rated best in every report I could find. But starting near four grand, is out of our reach.

Some things to note regarding foam. It is very insulating and will cause you to sleep more warmly. Some companies add a heat conductive gel to the mattress to counter this effect.

In some mattresses the gel will be beaded, which can seperate out. Others will infuse the gel throughout the foam.

The best foam is made in Sweden, and is used in the Sealey Temperpedic. American made foam is pretty good. Chinese made foam is to be avoided.

Foam comes in various weights, densities, and resiliencies. Most mattresses will use lighter, more resilient foam on top, with heavier, denser foam in the bottom two layers.

Foam is temperature sensitive, in that it will feel firm as you first lay upon it. But as the material warms to body temperature, it will soften.

Our favorite furniture store carries a second line of foam mattress by Sealey which we selected. Our king size was $1499 out the door. Less than 1/2 the cost of the least expensive Temperpedic. I saved a couple hundred bucks by not purchasing the suggested foundation, which voided the ten year pro rated warranty.

I had a perfectly good foundation from the previous bed and did not consider a ten year pro rated warranty worth more than 10% of the cost of the mattress.

In regards to air bed, I consider them similar to a waterbed, which we used for the first fifteen years of our marriage. The waterbed was a lot of fun, but began to cause me severe back aches.

Waterbeds and air beds are often compared to a trampoline in that the support surface does not conform to the body like memory foam does.

That said, air beds and water beds each work well for some people and they are very happy with them.

I expect an air bed would probably outlast a foam mattress. As my research indicates the average life, before the foam breaks down, to be about ten years.

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Aireloome is the best mattress I have ever slept on.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16

Count one more vote for Sleep Number. We are simply ultra-satisfied with ours.

Blessings,

Steve
Posted By: Calvin Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
A mattress is only as good as the platform it is on. If you are wearing out mattresses that quickly, I'm going to make a WAG that you have a poor platform and not nearly the support. I've never seen a factory anything give the kind of support you need.

Get a quality mattress. (I like king size) Buy yourself some 4x4s and 2x4s. Get your chop saw out and and measure and cut about 15 supports. Screw them down evenly under the bed.

You will have a rock solid platform. You wife won't bitch and moan if you toss and turn all night. You should be able to do backflips, and not have the bed move one inch. Then you'll have something.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
Sleep Number with the memory foam topper. Some days need it soft, some days not, no problem.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Best Bed? - 02/21/16
100% pure natural latex. My wife sleeps all night and my back is much, much better.
© 24hourcampfire