-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife wanted a new mattress and she went in and bought one last Monday.

Pretty small store here locally and they don't stock the fancy chit so I said try to stay under $1500.

She picked out the firmest bed they had, some sort of spring version Sealy. The 'nice/$$$' softer ones were more double and triple the price but luckily we both wanted a firm bed.

$500 for a queen, so far we both love it. If it last +10 years like the old we had it will be beyond worth the money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We bought a new one from a small manufacturer in OKC. They've been in business over 100 years and you can get about anything you want. They tie the springs in house if you want an inner spring. We went with a latex mattress that they build and layer in house also. It's made of organic latex, talalay or something. Whatever it is, it's one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Toby Keith buys his beds from there as well, not that I honestly care, just thought that it was interesting and cool that he supports a small business like that. Either way, it may be a direction that you want to look.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Go to the mattress store and lay on all of them.
Personally I have had a extra firm Sealy posturepedic for the past 10 years and it has NOT gotten the dreaded saggy spot ( I do flip it over every 6 months tho )

Last edited by HuntSleepRepeat; 02/21/16.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We had an innerspring which was starting to sag. I did quite a bit of research and decided to go with foam.

Temperpedic is top of the line and rated best in every report I could find. But starting near four grand, is out of our reach.

Some things to note regarding foam. It is very insulating and will cause you to sleep more warmly. Some companies add a heat conductive gel to the mattress to counter this effect.

In some mattresses the gel will be beaded, which can seperate out. Others will infuse the gel throughout the foam.

The best foam is made in Sweden, and is used in the Sealey Temperpedic. American made foam is pretty good. Chinese made foam is to be avoided.

Foam comes in various weights, densities, and resiliencies. Most mattresses will use lighter, more resilient foam on top, with heavier, denser foam in the bottom two layers.

Foam is temperature sensitive, in that it will feel firm as you first lay upon it. But as the material warms to body temperature, it will soften.

Our favorite furniture store carries a second line of foam mattress by Sealey which we selected. Our king size was $1499 out the door. Less than 1/2 the cost of the least expensive Temperpedic. I saved a couple hundred bucks by not purchasing the suggested foundation, which voided the ten year pro rated warranty.

I had a perfectly good foundation from the previous bed and did not consider a ten year pro rated warranty worth more than 10% of the cost of the mattress.

In regards to air bed, I consider them similar to a waterbed, which we used for the first fifteen years of our marriage. The waterbed was a lot of fun, but began to cause me severe back aches.

Waterbeds and air beds are often compared to a trampoline in that the support surface does not conform to the body like memory foam does.

That said, air beds and water beds each work well for some people and they are very happy with them.

I expect an air bed would probably outlast a foam mattress. As my research indicates the average life, before the foam breaks down, to be about ten years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Aireloome is the best mattress I have ever slept on.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Count one more vote for Sleep Number. We are simply ultra-satisfied with ours.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A mattress is only as good as the platform it is on. If you are wearing out mattresses that quickly, I'm going to make a WAG that you have a poor platform and not nearly the support. I've never seen a factory anything give the kind of support you need.

Get a quality mattress. (I like king size) Buy yourself some 4x4s and 2x4s. Get your chop saw out and and measure and cut about 15 supports. Screw them down evenly under the bed.

You will have a rock solid platform. You wife won't bitch and moan if you toss and turn all night. You should be able to do backflips, and not have the bed move one inch. Then you'll have something.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sleep Number with the memory foam topper. Some days need it soft, some days not, no problem.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
100% pure natural latex. My wife sleeps all night and my back is much, much better.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 1minute, 16penny, 17 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,383
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.