Home
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Armslist - 03/20/16
I've never used Armslist to make a purchase, but have gotten in the habit of perusing their listing of muzzleloader rifles.

In the sites FAQ, the site suggests:
1. Avoid sales using and escrow service.
2. Avoid sales involving shipping.

It's a big county. Making an internet purchase without shipping is about not possible. I thought an escrow service, with added cost for the service, would make for a safe sale/purchase.

What am I missing here?
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Armslist CAN be a good deal, although it does harbor a lot of scammers. Many people are unfamiliar with how an escrow service works, as well as the fact that, most of the time, especially if initiated by the seller, the offered service is simply a scam. Same for shipping. With due diligence, and especially if buying from a legitimate business, then shipping is fine. However, Armslist does not have any kind of feedback system to measure a potential seller's trustworthiness, which is why Armslist advises against both practices.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Good points.

If I set up the escrow I think it might be OK. But how could shipping go bad?
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Gun_Geezer,

"But how could shipping go bad?"

Simple - the scammer doesn't ship you anything.

There are a lot of ads on there for stuff that simply doesn't exist.

The only way to buy on Armslist is to do only transactions that are within driving range of your location, and send no money until you and the seller meet in a neutral location. Arrange to meet in a public parking lot or other non-remote place to examine the item and exchange the money.

Myron
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Armslist - 03/20/16

The best idea about using Armslist is that you are ready to take a 100% loss on whatever you buy there. Too many cheats and scoundrels to make it worth the risk. That is not to say there aren't genuine people selling there, but the site is polluted with guys that are scamming...
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
I thought the point of the escrow service was for them to hold the my money pending receipt of the merchandise. If I don't get the merchandise, I get my money back less the escrow fee.

Either way I am getting the message to shop elsewhere. What a shame.
Gun_Geezer,

Check this link - Online sites and commercial sales links:

https://ixquick.com/do/search

You will notice that Armlist does have a Texas specific section so it would be easier to sort out deals within a reasonable distance.

There is also: http://texasguntrader.com/

Texasguntrader also has a breakdown of guns close to Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, etc.

You can keep on going down the Ixquick list (multiple pages) to see if anything promising pops up.

Myron

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
The ATF finally cracked down on a series of "straw purchases" done here locally.
There wasn't a need for more laws, more leo's or more background checks. It was a rather straight forward law enforcement action.
Armslist may not be doing us any favors if they serve to give fodder to the anti-2A crowd. Hopefully they are taking measures to clean up their act.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
On Armslist I've picked up some very good deals locally.

Its not hard weed out the scams, if they don't want to do a Face to Face move on.

Out of state best to stay away.

Or take your chances.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Armslist is a FTF classifieds only.

The only website that I send payment without goods in hand is the 'fire.

That said, I have bought and sold plenty FTF on Armslist.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Wish I would have read this before I sent out a money order for an AR upper. Guy sent me a tracking # for the ups package but ups site doesn't recognize it. Haven't heard back from him yet.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
do a internet deal but $$$$ and mershadise face to face

Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
I've only done one transaction it went without a hitch but both of us emailed pics and had several phone conversations just to get into a buyer seller comfort zone with a couple days of correspondence ..I would suggest our SOP which isn't totally fool proof just don't rush the transaction if possible as you will get a feel of who you're dealing with.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Just google foo my face off on the seller, if he's a scam artist he's not good at hiding. Think I'll be fine after all. 😅
Posted By: wildbill59 Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
Bought a SP101 out of state. Nice transaction.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Armslist - 03/20/16
I saw a gun I was posting on here and on GI on Armslist, complete with my photos.
luv2safari,

"I saw a gun I was posting on here and on GI on Armslist, complete with my photos."
^^^^
this

The scam artists do a quick search for items to put in their ads, then copy pictures and descriptions of items listed on any forum, Gunbroker, Gunauction, or other sites and post them as their own item for sale.

If you follow some spidey sense rules, you could be OK.

I would simply look for items that can be transferred FTF and leave the rest alone.

Myron
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Armslist - 03/21/16

I love Armslist !

Chuck
Posted By: WV_Hunter1 Re: Armslist - 03/23/16
I have bought a couple off armslist, only ftf though. I only have a couple sites that I will deal with regarding hunting/shooting equipment that I trust in a shipped transaction.
© 24hourcampfire