Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11059223 03/20/16
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've never used Armslist to make a purchase, but have gotten in the habit of perusing their listing of muzzleloader rifles.

In the sites FAQ, the site suggests:
1. Avoid sales using and escrow service.
2. Avoid sales involving shipping.

It's a big county. Making an internet purchase without shipping is about not possible. I thought an escrow service, with added cost for the service, would make for a safe sale/purchase.

What am I missing here?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Armslist CAN be a good deal, although it does harbor a lot of scammers. Many people are unfamiliar with how an escrow service works, as well as the fact that, most of the time, especially if initiated by the seller, the offered service is simply a scam. Same for shipping. With due diligence, and especially if buying from a legitimate business, then shipping is fine. However, Armslist does not have any kind of feedback system to measure a potential seller's trustworthiness, which is why Armslist advises against both practices.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good points.

If I set up the escrow I think it might be OK. But how could shipping go bad?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gun_Geezer,

"But how could shipping go bad?"

Simple - the scammer doesn't ship you anything.

There are a lot of ads on there for stuff that simply doesn't exist.

The only way to buy on Armslist is to do only transactions that are within driving range of your location, and send no money until you and the seller meet in a neutral location. Arrange to meet in a public parking lot or other non-remote place to examine the item and exchange the money.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The best idea about using Armslist is that you are ready to take a 100% loss on whatever you buy there. Too many cheats and scoundrels to make it worth the risk. That is not to say there aren't genuine people selling there, but the site is polluted with guys that are scamming...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I thought the point of the escrow service was for them to hold the my money pending receipt of the merchandise. If I don't get the merchandise, I get my money back less the escrow fee.

Either way I am getting the message to shop elsewhere. What a shame.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 03/20/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gun_Geezer,

Check this link - Online sites and commercial sales links:

https://ixquick.com/do/search

You will notice that Armlist does have a Texas specific section so it would be easier to sort out deals within a reasonable distance.

There is also: http://texasguntrader.com/

Texasguntrader also has a breakdown of guns close to Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, etc.

You can keep on going down the Ixquick list (multiple pages) to see if anything promising pops up.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The ATF finally cracked down on a series of "straw purchases" done here locally.
There wasn't a need for more laws, more leo's or more background checks. It was a rather straight forward law enforcement action.
Armslist may not be doing us any favors if they serve to give fodder to the anti-2A crowd. Hopefully they are taking measures to clean up their act.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/20/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On Armslist I've picked up some very good deals locally.

Its not hard weed out the scams, if they don't want to do a Face to Face move on.

Out of state best to stay away.

Or take your chances.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Armslist is a FTF classifieds only.

The only website that I send payment without goods in hand is the 'fire.

That said, I have bought and sold plenty FTF on Armslist.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wish I would have read this before I sent out a money order for an AR upper. Guy sent me a tracking # for the ups package but ups site doesn't recognize it. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
do a internet deal but $$$$ and mershadise face to face

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only done one transaction it went without a hitch but both of us emailed pics and had several phone conversations just to get into a buyer seller comfort zone with a couple days of correspondence ..I would suggest our SOP which isn't totally fool proof just don't rush the transaction if possible as you will get a feel of who you're dealing with.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just google foo my face off on the seller, if he's a scam artist he's not good at hiding. Think I'll be fine after all. 😅

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bought a SP101 out of state. Nice transaction.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a gun I was posting on here and on GI on Armslist, complete with my photos.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
luv2safari,

"I saw a gun I was posting on here and on GI on Armslist, complete with my photos."
^^^^
this

The scam artists do a quick search for items to put in their ads, then copy pictures and descriptions of items listed on any forum, Gunbroker, Gunauction, or other sites and post them as their own item for sale.

If you follow some spidey sense rules, you could be OK.

I would simply look for items that can be transferred FTF and leave the rest alone.

Myron

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I love Armslist !

Chuck

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have bought a couple off armslist, only ftf though. I only have a couple sites that I will deal with regarding hunting/shooting equipment that I trust in a shipped transaction.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (22kHornet, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.