Home
Posted By: Steve Licorice - 08/25/16
Black. The real and only kind.

Pro or Con?
Posted By: EdM Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Black with beer for the win. My older brother always had (and still does) a tub of black licorice on his coffee table to sip beer with.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
I like all "licorice"... Even twizzlers! Black is very good too
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Classic black.
Posted By: denton Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Real licorice, not anise flavored. Great with Dr. Pepper.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Black Licorice the best
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Steve

Pro or Con?

Most people don't know this, but licorice is a byproduct of snail ranching....yep snail schitt...mixed with corn syrup and gelatin...
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
never liked black licorice, but i recall as a kid when my grandad opened his tackle box, it smelled of licorice...he said anise oil scent on stuff made the fish bite better.

but, i do eat the hell outa this stuff, convenience store here on the corner keeps it stocked...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dale06 Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Black or red(strawberry) I like em both.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
I don't like the black kind. They put anus in it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Steve

Pro or Con?

Most people don't know this, but licorice is a byproduct of snail ranching....yep snail schitt...mixed with corn syrup and gelatin...

Okay, gotta call b.s. on this one!

While I have eaten my share (and more) of Twizzlers, only real licorice flavored with licorice root is worthy of the name. The tough, chewy "buttons" are the best.

Callard and Bowser used to make a really good soft licorice toffee that came individually foil-wrapped and packed in a nice little box but alas, it has gone the way of Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits.
Twizzlers sucho. It ain't licorice.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Con.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by EdM

Agreed, but alas, "common usage" has triumphed again over truth and reason.

Hell, some people call Coor's Light "beer"!
Posted By: battue Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
https://www.chateaudlanz.com/
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
I just gagged! sick
Posted By: colodog Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
The black licorice is licorice and it's good when fresh.
The red stuff is candy and I never acquired a taste for that stuff.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Black, the only way to go and I like it a lot.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
You guys haven't lived until you've tried the Dutch salted licorice.

I can eat it all day long, but licorice lovers usually just try not to throw up.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
I like black licorice , and black jelly beans.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

I can eat it all day long, but licorice lovers usually just try not to throw up.

I tried Danish salt licorice and almost threw up. I took it to work, and everyone but one person spit it out. the one person that liked was Dutch!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
I remember back when the Earth was flat, there was a licorice "stick" that came in a box. It was cylindrical, except that it was flattened into an oval toward one end and had (I think) the company's name embossed upon the oval. It cost a dime when candy bars were a nickel, and the licorice was much stronger flavored than Nibs. Anyone else?
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
never liked black licorice, but i recall as a kid when my grandad opened his tackle box, it smelled of licorice...he said anise oil scent on stuff made the fish bite better.

but, i do eat the hell outa this stuff, convenience store here on the corner keeps it stocked...

[Linked Image]

Strange after starting this thread I opened my desk drawer to my right and got out my Black Wiley Wallaby to enjoy. Its the best.GW
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by EdM

Yuck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
Yep, orange box. Only had a nickel. ;-{>8

Like black, but can't do Dutch salt. Never found anyone who could.
Posted By: hanco Re: Licorice - 08/25/16
If you try black, you don't never go back!!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
I don't like the stuff myself, but many a raccoon stuck their foot in one of my traps coming for the licorice I used as lure. They love the stuff. I'd mix anise oil (the flavor in black licorice) and peanut butter, and no self respecting coon could stay away from the stuff.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image]

Strange after starting this thread I opened my desk drawer to my right and got out my Black Wiley Wallaby to enjoy. Its the best.GW

black
I love the Wiley Wallaby black, but their All Sorts is my favorite.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
I am all about the red.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Real licorice from root is a very good digestive aid. I like the Aussie kind.

The red stuff is candy, not licorice. And a lot of the black "licorice" is imitation stuff not the real thing. Kinda like Coors/Bud Light.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I don't like the stuff myself, but many a raccoon stuck their foot in one of my traps coming for the licorice I used as lure. They love the stuff. I'd mix anise oil (the flavor in black licorice) and peanut butter, and no self respecting coon could stay away from the stuff.

Good stuff! I use a mix of about 90% fish oil, 5% anise oil and 5% shell fish oil squirted onto the mini marshmallows in my Griz Getters.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
When I was a kid, there was a local ice creme shop that had licorice ice cream!

Yum, Yum!!

They would even make a licorice milkshake! Yum, Yum, YUM!!!!!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

that made me laugh!

Sycamore
Posted By: Steve Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

that made me laugh!

Sycamore

Succinct. But the snail poop comment was just a touch more creative.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I remember back when the Earth was flat, there was a licorice "stick" that came in a box. It was cylindrical, except that it was flattened into an oval toward one end and had (I think) the company's name embossed upon the oval. It cost a dime when candy bars were a nickel, and the licorice was much stronger flavored than Nibs. Anyone else?

I was wondering if any one remembered that. Used it as a cough drop too.Strong stuff
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by EdM

agreed. that why i like it! smile
Posted By: denton Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
It was cylindrical, except that it was flattened into an oval toward one end and had (I think) the company's name embossed upon the oval.

Y&S was the brand in my area. Grandpa used to occasionally buy me a stick when I was a little guy.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Finnska organic Finnish black licorice is some good chit, Maynard.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by denton
It was cylindrical, except that it was flattened into an oval toward one end and had (I think) the company's name embossed upon the oval.

Y&S was the brand in my area. Grandpa used to occasionally buy me a stick when I was a little guy.

Bingo! Thanks!

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id...c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
Posted By: T LEE Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Black, and I have the family trained to save me the black jelly beans at Easter time!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Wiki has some interesting licorice facts. I always suspected that tobacco was sweetened, but never knew licorice was used for that. Also, too much licorice might be harmful. All this is about real licorice root, not anise, anus(!?!), or Twizzlers.
Posted By: GreenHornet47 Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
I like real black licorice. Tiwzzlers suck.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

My dad was a fan of black licorice, but I only acquired the taste later in life. But when I was in my 20's I attended a Dutch Reformed church for several years, and I tasted some of that salted licorice. Nasty stuff, but great to suck on when you're workin' in the sun and need to keep your salt up.
Posted By: TomT Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-All-Natural-Soft-Licorice/dp/B0001APXYW

^ this stuff is to me, what crack was to Whitney :-)

Poor taste, I know, but I've never been accused of having good taste
Posted By: G23 Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
We used to get the 3 foot long licorice whips at the movie theater when I was a kid.

G23
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I was wondering if any one remembered that. Used it as a cough drop too.Strong stuff

Smith Brothers Cough Drops.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Black Licorice the best

This. Hell, I love the Easter season when I can buy a bag of jelly beans in the all black flavor.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by T LEE
Black, and I have the family trained to save me the black jelly beans at Easter time!

BROTHER from another Mother!!
Posted By: blanket Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
I love licorice but have not been able to indulged for several years due to diabetes black is where it is at
Posted By: Captain Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
When I was a kid we used to buy licorice sticks at the drugstore to chew on. It was an actual stick with bark on it. Not candy. Found out later in life that it was actually a root. You can still get it. Also used to go down by the creek where the red birch grew and had a twig of that in our mouth most of the day just scouting around. Too much of that used to give me nose bleeds.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by EdM

Yuck.

[Linked Image]

Ya know.....you really spiked my interest when you posted about Black and Beer but ya had to go and ruin it....didn't ya....

Unless of course you're referring to the PBR.....
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
This dude loves his licorice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRj7oZZ34OA
Posted By: birdwacker Re: Licorice - 08/26/16
The Mariner mart in Poulsbo, WA has over 600 types of licorice in stock. I'm eating some Danish sweets salty pastilles as I type this.
© 24hourcampfire