Home
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wade Seago shot this 820 pound wild hog 5 yards from his front porch in Samson, Alabama. The family dog, a small schnauzer alerted Seago that something was up. (Courtesy Wade Seago).

Man shoots mammoth 820 pound wild hog in his front yard

By Joe Songer [email protected]

Samson resident Wade Seago knew something was up outside of his home last week when the family's pet schnauzer, Cruiser, started barking constantly. The Seagos live on 100 acres in the rural south Alabama town. The property and surrounding area is teeming with wildlife so it's not unusual for their dog to bark at deer, raccoons or other wild visitors.

But this was different. As he was about to get up and check on his dog, his daughter began screaming. "I jumped up to see what was going on," Wade explained. "I looked out the back window and saw nothing, so I ran to the front of the house where my daughter was looking out the window. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

The dog had a huge wild hog bayed in his front yard, about 5 yards off of the front porch. "Cruiser had this huge hog confused with all of the barking and movement," Wade continued. "It was not a good situation."

Seago is an avid deer hunter and runs a taxidermy business in Samson. He was also a prison guard for several years. He told me that hogs are abundant in the area and he has seen them on his property before, but none the size of this one.

Wade was afraid the huge hog would injure or kill the family pet so he grabbed a .38 caliber revolver that he keeps for home defense and went out on the front porch

"By the time I got in a position to shoot, the hog was about 12 yards away," Wade said. "Cruiser was out of the my line to the hog so I fired."

It took three shots to take him down. The giant hog hit the ground near the carport. The next day, Wade took the wild hog to Brooks Peanut Company and weighed it on the drive-thru scales. The hog tipped the scales at 820 pounds and had six inch tusks.

According to the Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources, feral hogs in Alabama pose a serious threat to native wildlife. High reproductive rates, a lack of natural predators, voracious omnivorous feeding habits, destructive rooting behavior and habitat destruction are just a few reasons why Alabama sportsmen and land managers are encouraged to help control this non-native species. The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that feral hogs cause more than $800 million of agricultural damage in the United States annually.

Feral hogs are considered a game animal in Alabama and have no closed season and no bag limits. This means that on private land, hunters can legally hunt hogs every day of the year with no harvest restrictions.

"I didn't think twice about taking down this hog," Wade concluded. "I'd do it again tomorrow.".

From al.com
IMO, 800 lb wild hogs aren't natural, there's simply not enough good food out there for them to get this big by themselves.

The biggest sow I ever had was 710 when I sold her, and she was on a constant diet of good food. I'd bet this one had help.
That's one big fuskin tusker.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
IMO, 800 lb wild hogs aren't natural, there's simply not enough good food out there for them to get this big by themselves.

The biggest sow I ever had was 710 when I sold her, and she was on a constant diet of good food. I'd bet this one had help.

Its still not something you expect your miniature schnauzer to be mixing it up with in the front yard.
And with a 38.
Three shots from a .38 revolver. Pretty good shooting.

I agree unless there's some super heavy supplement feeding going on or some kind of high nutrition agg crop it would be difficult to get one that big. Still those cutters are huge, I wonder how old that boar is?
.38?

I'm guessing at 810 pounds that Hog had limited mobility
Looks like something from the Paleozoic.
I was hoping this thread was about Rosie. frown
Good for him.
South Alabama has a lot of peanut farms. Hogs can destroy a peanut farm. Also, there are an awful lot of deer hunters who can use deer feeders all year except during hunting season. Hogs can get a lot of corn from these feeders.

Probably, but in an agricultural area there's a lot of food in the crops. Local chicken/livestock farmers may be disposing of bodies in ways other than incinerators. Stock fed openly in pastures especially via spreader trucks or automatic feeders provide a lot of feed. It was also in the lower part of the state so winters are mild. ...but someone may have been throwing massive amounts of dog food to him. Who knows.
HOGZILLA!! HOGZILLA!! CALL OUT THE MAWINES!
And all along we thought there was no need for the 375 H&H in North America!
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
And all along we thought there was no need for the 375 H&H in North America!

Indeed there isn't. A .38 special proved to be more than adequate.
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Its still not something you expect your miniature schnauzer to be mixing it up with in the front yard.

Can't argue with that. Much rather have the hog than a ornery skunk..
12 yards and with a barking dog and a kid screaming in the house? I'm thinking this thing wasn't entirely wild. It should have been long gone with all that going on.
The second picture looks like a mini-rhino.
And I wonder if there were oysters or just the shell wink. He's the right color so could have been a swamp rooter penned that busted out. Or maybe a future co-star for da pig man that voided the contract.
That's a big pig, but I don't see 820 in those pics...

John
They told me on the Far they didnt get over about 250. wink

I know where that hog went. Any where he wanted to.

Like an elk with short legs.
If the shooter is around 6' the beast may be around 8' ish snout to back of hams going by the hanging pic. What'd that math out to?
Rosie's twin - she's coming to the viewing.
That's a 300-350 pound pig max....
They always look big strung up. Look at the pic at it on its side lying in grass....
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
12 yards and with a barking dog and a kid screaming in the house? I'm thinking this thing wasn't entirely wild. It should have been long gone with all that going on.

Someone's pet, perhaps.
I'd rather have the HOG....than some HOGS on foodstamps I know of!!
Originally Posted by GregW
They always look big strung up. Look at the pic at it on its side lying in grass....
Measure from it's back to the front hoof and compare that to the man. It's about 3' high at the shoulder.
I used to work on a big hog farm when I was 15 and 16. We had a Duroc Boar that weighed 850. I was 6'4" at 16 and that hogs back was almost even with my shoulder. The one in this picture wouldn't come to my waist and he is lean looking. We also had an old Landrace boar that weighed around 800. He was really long and his back was middle of my chest.
Story seems suspect in several areas, but it makes a good story.

Mike
Measure from it's back to the front hoof and compare that to the man. It's about 3' high at the shoulder.

Again, that pig is a 300-350 pound pig at most. I've shot pigs bigger than this one and it didn't go 350.

This pig is lean, like most feral hogs are. A pig this size that is feral is a 350 at most which is about as big as they'll get living in the woods...

I've been around snooters all my life - that one is NOT 800 lbs. MAYBE 500
Wow, he used to be prison guard . BFD
I know a hog hunter who uses dogs and hunts extensively here in N.E. Texas (Lake Fork Area). The largest hog they ever weighed was about 335. But this area we live in has nearly no row crop and not a lot of deer feeders going 12 months out of the year.
I'm not going to say there are not 400+ pounders but I agree that hog don't weigh 820.
I always thought the 4' long hogs I shot were about 175. so a 8 footer may weigh around 350-400.
To be fair it was a 38SPL - Ai
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

Nope. I agree.

Again, that pig is a 300-350 pound pig at most. I've shot pigs bigger than this one and it didn't go 350.

This pig is lean, like most feral hogs are. A pig this size that is feral is a 350 at most which is about as big as they'll get living in the woods...

Yep.

Someone's pulling someone's leg with that 820 lb story.
Big hog but not a wild hog. Looks like someone's boar hog got loose. Really not that big for a domestic boar but I don't think it's a piney woods rooter..

Just took another glance.. Has his ear been notched?
Pigs are dense and that ole boy is a biscuit shy of 3 bills on his own.
So, experts... How much did this in weigh?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KFWA
.38?

I'm guessing at 810 pounds that Hog had limited mobility

Or we just under estimate the potential of our guns.
Originally Posted by ringworm
Pigs are dense and that ole boy is a biscuit shy of 3 bills on his own.
So, experts... How much did this in weigh?
[Linked Image]

Did you weigh it on scales?

Guessing 150-175.
Wormy I can't guess but I have had to drag one out of the river swamp smaller than that with a friend. Almost whipped us.
They do weigh heavy for their size.

The hog pictured looks at least 400 lbs.
I saw a few that big in WI a few years back. They were tailgating for a packers game.
Either way, that's a lot of bacon and sausage......
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I used to work on a big hog farm when I was 15 and 16. We had a Duroc Boar that weighed 850. I was 6'4" at 16 and that hogs back was almost even with my shoulder. The one in this picture wouldn't come to my waist and he is lean looking. We also had an old Landrace boar that weighed around 800. He was really long and his back was middle of my chest.

So, that big one was about 6-inches shorter than a cape buffalo and only weighed 850? He was as tall as a hereford bull and only weighed 850?

It does look way smaller than 850 laying there.
I've never even seen a wild hog and I don't know if weights are similar, but I see a lot of 4h hogs weighed on certified scales hit 250-300 and they are ALOT smaller looking than that hog.
That 820lb pig would be a good match to my 16" COCK.

dave
Are we to presume its taken care of lesser hogs? frown
Hey pig fuucker!

Every one looks up.....
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hey pig fuucker!

Every one looks up.....

You beat me to it.

Ed

Up to your shoulder - while were you were kneeling? whistle
It ain't far away 0 how 'bout if i run over there and weigh it?
Originally Posted by SKane

Up to your shoulder - while were you were kneeling? whistle

We kept a Yorkshire boar for about six years for breeding. He was over 650 when we sold him. Way less than three feet tall at the shoulder, but he was about 8 feet long from nose to tail. That critter hanging looks more massive than my Yorkshire boar.

Last year we raised four pigs to butcher. At butcher their weights ranged from 325 to 365. They were not half as big as that hog hanging.

An eight foot long hog is not twice as big as a four foot long hog. And it's not four times as big. More like eight times as heavy.
This^^^.
You guys comparing farmed pigs with feral pigs is like me comparing antler size of whitetail in a deer farm and a free ranging deer.....
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

Same here. This is suspect.
That sum beach probably been feeding on snowflakes, and someone had to shoot him.
Originally Posted by deflave

dave

You're saying that pig weighs in at about 250?
Originally Posted by jnyork
Three shots from a .38 revolver. Pretty good shooting.

That was my thought as well...
You guys comparing farmed pigs with feral pigs is like me comparing antler size of whitetail in a deer farm and a free ranging deer.....

And that hog in the photo is no starved down, skinny assed razorback. This hog is in very similar condition to my breeding boar.

Look at that ham. It is very close in size to the man's chest. Even the front shoulder is huge. And the guy is reaching backward to put his arm around the pig, so it is no "trophy shot".
BS. Stargazers wife got lose and committed suicide
The next day, Wade took the wild hog to Brooks Peanut Company and weighed it on the drive-thru scales. The hog tipped the scales at 820 pounds and had six inch tusks.
The article does say this. I'm not going to call the man a liar without evidence showing that he is.
That said, we don't have feral pigs here so I have no experience with them.
Pet pig...from wild stock.
^ Yep.
I'm with a few others here. Calling BS on the posted weight.

DMc : )
The next day, Wade took the wild hog to Brooks Peanut Company and weighed it on the drive-thru scales. The hog tipped the scales at 820 pounds and had six inch tusks.
The article does say this. I'm not going to call the man a liar without evidence showing that he is.

This^^^

That hog seems to be 3-3.5 ft from snout to the mans shoulder. Then add 4- 4.5 to midway up the ham.

BIG BAAAACCCONNN. smirk
Originally Posted by GeoW
Big hog but not a wild hog. Looks like someone's boar hog got loose. Really not that big for a domestic boar but I don't think it's a piney woods rooter..

Just took another glance.. Has his ear been notched?

Looks to me like no - just the tip of his other ear showing in the pic.
My uneducated guess would be around 6-650#.
Hard for me to say what it weights but call me sceptical that its a wild hog. Getting loose and being wild is two different things.
If I had to move that thing I'd swear it was 2,000 lbs!

I've got a 900 lb. Hog in the garage right now.

It's a 2015 model. smile
Here is an idea for the doubters...
Brooke's Peanut Company
(334) 898-7194
https://g.co/kgs/EQs9bn
I had a couple of sows back in the mid 1980's and needed to breed them. Called a neighbor that I heard had a boar, and asked about breeding to it. He told me that I might want to come and look as His boar was pretty big. I told Him that my sows were big so I was not worried about that. I took them up there, and unloaded where he told me, while He went to get the boar. He came driving a half Land-race and Half Yorkshire that was one of the biggest that I had ever seen. I too, stand at 6'4" and this boar was chest high or a little more to me. The man sold Him at the auction barn a few months later and it weighed over 900 lbs by a little. Can't remember exactly. Threw some good pigs. They averaged 240 at 6 months old. I have seen advertisements of old where they were advertising some boars to breed to that were around 1500 lbs. I think Chester Whites. They used stocks so that they would not hurt the sow. miles

This has turned into a "Tall Tail" thread now, hasn't it? whistle

My 2000lb bull doesn't come close to being shoulder height to me. I'm 6'05".
I've no idea how big a wild hog gets, never seen one. But, having raised hogs and cattle on the farm for many years, I can say that it can be very difficult to determine what they weigh, by guessing, unless you actually put them on scales. Their weights will often fool even the most experienced person. The man had the hog weighed on certified scales, and it's rare for a business to go along with a scam, so I doubt his story is fake. No one on here was there, and if you don't want to believe it happened, then don't. But, don't loudly and proudly say it didn't happen, because you don't know.
Guess we are not feeding our feral pigs enough, we rarely kill a pig that weighs more than 280# on the scale. Rio7
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've no idea how big a wild hog gets, never seen one. But, having raised hogs and cattle on the farm for many years, I can say that it can be very difficult to determine what they weigh, by guessing, unless you actually put them on scales. Their weights will often fool even the most experienced person. The man had the hog weighed on certified scales, and it's rare for a business to go along with a scam, so I doubt his story is fake. No one on here was there, and if you don't want to believe it happened, then don't. But, don't loudly and proudly say it didn't happen, because you don't know.

Everyone should read this, twice.

It's funny how many folks on here are all of a sudden experts in weighing pigs from a couple still shots.

The pig weighed a little over 820, but they rounded it down just being conservative.
Looking at the pic of the hog hanging next to the dude, I can believe 820.
Ive raised thousands of hogs back in the day , and its entirely believable to me that pig weighed 800

hogs and especially boars are very dense and the weght can sometimes surprise you

heres a pic from the Iowa state fair big boar contest and that hog weighed 1270...it takes one well over 1000 to be competetive

http://www.agrinews.com/news/iowa_n...0537f51-1b9d-5b78-819b-60f7e478da9e.html

the fellas that saw 6 foot tall pigs were truly in the presence of HOGZILLA (grin)
I don't know jack about pigs. Based on the height/length measurements below (if they aren't inflated) and specified weights (if they aren't inflated), I'd think the one pictured above could be 800. If he was weighted on certified scales I would think its true unless all involved were willing to lie.

From: https://www.reference.com/pets-anim...162cf7847cb8f?qo=contentSimilarQuestions

"As of 2014, the world record for largest pig belongs to Big Bill, who weighed in at 2,552 pounds in 1933. Big Bill was 9 feet long and 5 feet high, and he was so large that there was a time when his stomach would reach the ground."

From: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2004/11/introducing_big_norm_1_600poun.html

"He weighs an estimated 1,600 pounds, stands 4 feet high and measures 71/2 feet from snout to tail."
Never saw one 6' tall but did see one about 5' or so at the shoulders. He was more leggy than the one in the picture. miles
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Ive raised thousands of hogs back in the day , and its entirely believable to me that pig weighed 800

hogs and especially boars are very dense and the weght can sometimes surprise you

heres a pic from the Iowa state fair big boar contest and that hog weighed 1270...it takes one well over 1000 to be competetive

the fellas that saw 6 foot tall pigs were truly in the presence of HOGZILLA (grin)

This one weighs 1270 and is about the same height at the shoulders as the dead one. That one appears to have better muscle but this one has a lot more belly. Take off a few hundred lb of lard and they probably aren't that far apart in size.

[Linked Image]

1300 lbs and that hogs back tops out about 3ft 6.
When I raised hogs, a market sized hog, or top hog as they were called, weighed between 220-240 pounds. I think the weight has since increased, but that's irrelevant. A hog that size isn't as big as you might think. I also sold cull sows to people wanting to kill a bigger hog for the sausage or hams. I've seen many of them weigh 500 pounds. I didn't let the boars get real big, because I didn't keep them much over a year, as I was always keeping gilts to breed, and wanted a new boar to breed them. So, I never had a boar hog get to anywhere close to being what could be considered weighing a lot. But, if they live long enough, domestic hogs can reach incredible weights, as the pics here show. There is no reason a wild one couldn't either.
Damn, that thing looks like a side of beef hanging there!
Some of you need to spend less time indoors and on a computer... laugh

Even in hog hunting contests with thousands of dollars up for grabs, the winners very, very rarely exceed 400 pounds.
[Linked Image]

This one weighs 1270 and is about the same height at the shoulders as the dead one. That one appears to have better muscle but this one has a lot more belly. Take off a few hundred lb of lard and they probably aren't that far apart in size.

[Linked Image]

[i][/i]

God Grief!! You could take a COUPLE hundred pounds off that one for the knutts! Slice them biguns up to fry and they'd be the size of pancakes!
Looks like somebody's trophy "wild hog" got loose and a non client popped it.
Photoshop fakery....
No clue what it weighs....but that is a big azz hog!

Gotta love a schnauzer. You know that little dog still thinks he was gonna whup it. Probably got pissed when the old boy shot it and ruined his shot at glory. Lol.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hey pig fuucker!

Every one looks up.....

You rang????
"Man shoots mammoth in front yard". would have been a lot more fun.... smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This has turned into a "Tall Tail" thread now, hasn't it? whistle

My 2000lb bull doesn't come close to being shoulder height to me. I'm 6'05".

Maybe it was a trained circus hog on stilts?
A big musk ox of 600 lbs is roughly waist high. A yearling bull moose of the same weight is shoulder to head high. Ya gotta have legs!
As pointed out on another forum, the hog belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson. It escaped its pen while the family was on vacation. Was supposedly quite gentle.

Anyway, the hog looks far too clean and soft to have been living in the wild. Also, I seriously doubt a truly wild hog would have stuck around for a dog's barking, a kid yelling in the house and a guy meandering around with a revolver. Things just didn't add up with this story from the very beginning.
Oh, now it's gunna get good.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
It escaped its pen while the family was on vacation. Was supposedly quite gentle.

Is now supposedly quite freezer packed.
Originally Posted by add

Is now supposedly quite freezer packed.

Well, I seriously doubt that since he left it overnight in the Alabama summer heat.
Hard to legitimately compare an actual "wild" hog with a pen raised domestic version. The wild ones have to hustle their own food!

Mike
I wonder if Trisha wants any of the pork.

I shot a guy's pet deer one time. It had escaped right before early muzzle loader season and they forgot to tell me. I thought it was odd that the deer was looking directly at me and walking towards me. I asked Doug if he wanted the meat and he just laughed and said no. It was the best venison I've ever had.
I don't have much experience with domestic hogs but I know wild hogs pretty well. That hog is a legit 820 lbs but it is not wild hog. It is a domesticated hog that escape a pen at some point. It does not take a pen raised hog long to take on wild hog features once they hit the wild. You can always tell the difference because domestic hogs have a shorter snot and a more compact build just like that hog. It is very rare for a true ferral hog to get over 400 lbs due to the fact they have to find their own food. They are also leaner than pen raised hogs. They hog in the picture never ran because he was use to people. A ferral hog would have been long gone once the dog started barking.
As pointed out on another forum, the hog belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson. It escaped its pen while the family was on vacation. Was supposedly quite gentle.

Anyway, the hog looks far too clean and soft to have been living in the wild. Also, I seriously doubt a truly wild hog would have stuck around for a dog's barking, a kid yelling in the house and a guy meandering around with a revolver. Things just didn't add up with this story from the very beginning.

People have pet lions...and if one in in my yard it's getting fkin shot.

Pet or no pet. That's a lot of tusk and weight and I'm not betting on it being gentle.

Pet or no pet. That's a lot of tusk and weight and I'm not betting on it being gentle.

My point was that it was being called a "wild" hog. Take one look at it and you can see that it is anything but a "wild" hog. And it's behavior upheld that, too. A truly wild hog is not going to stick around with a little dog barking, a kid screaming and a man meandering around just steps away with a revolver.
I'm on the same page as ringworm on this one.
That pig ain't 820 pounds.
That guy looks like about 200 pounds. That pig is not 4 times bigger.
But it is a huge hog. My buddy shot a 450 pound hog in central Georgia, and this hog is about the same size.

I hope he didn't try to eat that monster because the meat would be nasty!

I guess 2K and some horns would have you pissing on the front porch?

The threat of a pig is vastly overrated. Mostly by southern people. And of course Texans.

Dave
In olden times folks with big families would raise a "lard hog" just to render out he lard. I've heard that some got so large they would eat laying down. About 1000 lbs was the highest weight I ever heard claimed.

I guess 2K and some horns would have you pissing on the front porch?

The threat of a pig is vastly overrated. Mostly by southern people. And of course Texans.

Dave

Was a time when lots of rural folks raised hogs to feed the family and sell food before big commercial operations took control. As in, when i was a kid, and more people were killed in the US , yearly by hogs than by bears.
I don't know that the threat is over rated.

Once one has been flat on one's back with a 250 lb sow standing on one's chest, trying to bite one's face off, one might consider hogs slightly less dangerous than a black bear.

Just cause I had one of her pigs between my knees, nutting him, that bitch stuck her hooves through a 48 inch high woven wire fence and climbed it like a cat climbing a tree. She came over the fence and took my ass. I saw her coming and picked up a 40 inch long pine 1" x 4". I took a swing at her head as she hit the ground, like Babe Rith swinging for the cheap seats.

The sow caught that piece of lumber in her teeth, jerked it out of my hands, and spit it out on the ground. Then she came right up the front of me snapping at my face. When 250 lbs of pork hits you in the chest at full throttle, I guarantee, you do land flat on your back.

The only thing that saved my throat and my face from her teeth, is that I stuffed my right arm into her jaws. She was a small sow, and lacked the power to crush my arm or break bones. I was wearing a heavy down coat. The sow destroyed the coat. There were several slashes across my belly, and the right arm of the coat was shredded. The little pig came running past, and the momma turned me loose to chase after her baby. Feathers from my coat were floating around in a column about fifteen feet high.

Yes, I killed the sow, but not before she finished raising that litter and regained some of the weight she always lost while nursing babies. She made some decent steaks and chops.

Oh, yes, I put the rest of her litter inside the horse trailer to finish castrating them.

I know what a small hog can do to a person, I would certainly not want to tangle with a large hog. Shoot first, ask questions later.
It is pretty amazing to see how fast a pair of pigs can devour a forty pound tom turkey which has the misfortune of dropping into their pen.

A small child would not last a minute longer.
Best hog thread in a while. Keep the stories coming....
Many a body has been disposed of by throwing it into the hog pen. They will eat anything, people included. When I raised hogs, I had a Hampshire sow that was the meanest hog I've ever seen, especially when she had pigs. She would literally eat you up if you tried messing with her pigs. I had an old stable, and used the stalls for farrowing pigs. That sow would climb the walls trying to get to you if you weren't careful. After the second litter of pigs, I put her on the road, as I knew that sooner or later she was going to hurt someone. People who underestimate what a hog can do are people who have never been around them.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I don't know that the threat is over rated.

Once one has been flat on one's back with a 250 lb sow standing on one's chest, trying to bite one's face off, one might consider hogs slightly less dangerous than a black bear.

Just cause I had one of her pigs between my knees, nutting him, that bitch stuck her hooves through a 48 inch high woven wire fence and climbed it like a cat climbing a tree. She came over the fence and took my ass. I saw her coming and picked up a 40 inch long pine 1" x 4". I took a swing at her head as she hit the ground, like Babe Rith swinging for the cheap seats.

The sow caught that piece of lumber in her teeth, jerked it out of my hands, and spit it out on the ground. Then she came right up the front of me snapping at my face. When 250 lbs of pork hits you in the chest at full throttle, I guarantee, you do land flat on your back.

The only thing that saved my throat and my face from her teeth, is that I stuffed my right arm into her jaws. She was a small sow, and lacked the power to crush my arm or break bones. I was wearing a heavy down coat. The sow destroyed the coat. There were several slashes across my belly, and the right arm of the coat was shredded. The little pig came running past, and the momma turned me loose to chase after her baby. Feathers from my coat were floating around in a column about fifteen feet high.

Yes, I killed the sow, but not before she finished raising that litter and regained some of the weight she always lost while nursing babies. She made some decent steaks and chops.

Oh, yes, I put the rest of her litter inside the horse trailer to finish castrating them.

I know what a small hog can do to a person, I would certainly not want to tangle with a large hog. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Pretty incredible, you're lucky it wasn't worse. Thanks for sharing. Horses and cattle were enough for me, I never trusted them. They're too big and too crazy.
Had pigs on grandma's farm.
I won't underestimate one, esp a sow w piglets.
Absolutely hate 'em. Love porkchops.

Big one like that in the yard.............obviously an escapee.
Would leave it alone (as it belongs to somebody).

If I was outside and it was a threat, sure..........blast it.
Wouldn't go out of my house to pop it.

Wild one? I'd drop the hammer, repeatedly.
They're smart.

Buddy and I bowhunted deer on a farm with free ranging domestic hogs.
Pretty sneaky, we still could only get to about 50 yards and they'd spook.

Somebody tried to start a "wild" population on gov ground near home. Bowhunting deer there.
Dead one somebody popped in the ditch.............never saw a live one.
DNR had 'em on trail cam.

My guess is somebody w night vision got rid of the problem, nipped in the bud.

I was hoping to nail one frown
Originally Posted by hookeye
Had pigs on grandma's farm.
I won't underestimate one, esp a sow w piglets.
Absolutely hate 'em. Love porkchops.

Big one like that in the yard.............obviously an escapee.
Would leave it alone (as it belongs to somebody).

If I was outside and it was a threat, sure..........blast it.
Wouldn't go out of my house to pop it.

Wild one? I'd drop the hammer, repeatedly.

So you can immediately tell the difference between a hog out of someone's pen, and a feral hog?

I'm talking the long nosed black variety here. Like the one shot.
The article is up on Foxnews now...without the notation that it's an escapee. They're calling it wild. PIGGY

The 1st 3 comments on the article:
sanderdog1 26 minutes ago
As soon as I saw that huge hog I thought of THE HILDABEAST.

FlagShare5LikeReply
Gruffmyster 26 minutes ago
DANG! I thought that was Maxine Waters & her wig fell off.

FlagShare11LikeReply
obamaunqualified 27 minutes ago
ROSIE IS THAT YOU .
Thought this was about the WI fella that had just finally had enough of his mother-in law's attitude so,ummm....never mind.
When I was in junior high, my older (by a lot) cousin raised what were then called Spotted Poland China hogs. He had one, Tiny by name, that weighed close to 1000#. I believe that he had bit that mark for the Minnesota State Fair, but the stress of being hauled around to various fairs had slimmed him down a bit. We were at their farm for Thanksgiving when Ron came in from chores looking like he had either seen or was Marley's Ghost. He had been rounding the crib when Tiny came roaring around the corner, bent on mayhem. Ron's escape was a bit on the narrow side. I, to my great indignation, was not allowed to participate in Tiny's "reincarceration". After he was once again "safely" penned up, it became apparent how he had escaped in the first place. He grabbed the wire of the pen in his mouth and walked backward until he pulled it loose from the posts. Ron had been saving him for the next June, when the heaviest hog sold in Sioux City received a dollar a pound premium. This plan instantly went out the window and the next morning saw Tiny's departure from the premises. At the end of the road he checked in at 940#.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
[Linked Image]

As in the case of my cousin's hog, this one obviously was down a bit from its top weight at the time of its demise.
n olden times folks with big families would raise a "lard hog" just to render out he lard. I've heard that some got so large they would eat laying down. About 1000 lbs was the highest weight I ever heard claimed.

Gene those pigs that I mentioned, that I raised, earlier in the thread would sit on their butts around a corn feeder and eat. Feeder was round, with I think 10 eating places, full of shelled corn. Another smaller feeder with supplement was near by. They grew fast and was good eating. Butchered at close to 6 months old. That is slow compared to what commercial growers do now. miles
I have a question for those on here that raise hogs. Did you remove the cutters or "tushes " as my Dad calls them. I remember my Dad telling stories about pulling or busting out the cutters from young hogs to keep them from hurting you as bad when they got older especially the ones that they let run wild.
We usually nipped them off with sidecutter pliers when castrating. Sometimes the babies would have them bad enough that they would mangle the teat. Not often but it did happen. miles
Woman says 820-pound hog killed by Wade Seago may have escaped their pen
By Joe [email protected]

Trisha Garcia of Samson, Alabama has come forward saying the huge 820-pound hog shot by Wade Seago in his front yard on July 11 may have been the one that escaped from their pen earlier in the week.

Seago was alerted to a commotion in his front yard by his pet schnauzer, Cruiser, and was confronted by a huge hog 5 yards from his front porch. He shot the hog three times with a .38 pistol, not far from his carport.

No one disputes the deadly encounter occurred. The question remains: was it a feral hog, or was it a domestic hog that escaped its pen?

Garcia believes the hog was hers, but cannot prove for certain that the 820-pound hog shot by Seago was the one she owned. News of the killing of such a massive hog has drawn national interest, and requests from various news outlets including the Associated Press and Time, but Garcia's account raises reasonable doubt whether the hog was wild or domestic.

"He had every right to kill it," Garcia said. "If a hog that size was in my front yard, I'd have done the same thing."

Garcia's husband, Freddy Garcia, raises hogs on a farm across the highway from the Seago property. Freddy and a friend traded boar hogs for breeding purposes during the first week of July. The hog in question was delivered to the Garcia's on July 6. The Garcia's left for vacation on July 8 and were gone for a week.

Friends came by every day to feed the hogs while they were gone. On the morning of July 10, the caretakers noticed that the boar hog had dug out from under the fence and was gone.

"We were notified that our hog had escaped his pen on Monday," Trisha said. "Then we saw on Facebook that Wade had shot a huge hog in his front yard. We didn't know at the time it was ours."

The huge hog Seago shot had no markings, ear tags or branding of any kind and had not been castrated. The hog also had 6-inch tushes. Trisha told AL.com that the hog pen is about a half mile from the Seago home.

Feral hogs are a real problem in many parts of south Alabama.

Wild Hog Records from Weiser Weight & Tusk

According to the Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources, feral hogs in Alabama pose a serious threat to native wildlife. High reproductive rates, a lack of natural predators, voracious omnivorous feeding habits, destructive rooting behavior and habitat destruction are just a few reasons why Alabama sportsmen and land managers are encouraged to help control this non-native species.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that feral hogs cause more than $800 million of agricultural damage in the United States annually.

"He had every right to kill it," Trisha said. "I have no ill will toward Wade and don't want anything from him. I just feel it was our hog that was killed."

The Gracias do not have a photo of their hog but did share some photos of their hog pens and where their hog escaped.

From al.com

dave

U need to upgrade your standard's..... It didn't even have lip stick on....
© 24hourcampfire