Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder if Trisha wants any of the pork.

I shot a guy's pet deer one time. It had escaped right before early muzzle loader season and they forgot to tell me. I thought it was odd that the deer was looking directly at me and walking towards me. I asked Doug if he wanted the meat and he just laughed and said no. It was the best venison I've ever had.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't have much experience with domestic hogs but I know wild hogs pretty well. That hog is a legit 820 lbs but it is not wild hog. It is a domesticated hog that escape a pen at some point. It does not take a pen raised hog long to take on wild hog features once they hit the wild. You can always tell the difference because domestic hogs have a shorter snot and a more compact build just like that hog. It is very rare for a true ferral hog to get over 400 lbs due to the fact they have to find their own food. They are also leaner than pen raised hogs. They hog in the picture never ran because he was use to people. A ferral hog would have been long gone once the dog started barking.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
As pointed out on another forum, the hog belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson. It escaped its pen while the family was on vacation. Was supposedly quite gentle.

Anyway, the hog looks far too clean and soft to have been living in the wild. Also, I seriously doubt a truly wild hog would have stuck around for a dog's barking, a kid yelling in the house and a guy meandering around with a revolver. Things just didn't add up with this story from the very beginning.

People have pet lions...and if one in in my yard it's getting fkin shot.

Pet or no pet. That's a lot of tusk and weight and I'm not betting on it being gentle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ringworm

Pet or no pet. That's a lot of tusk and weight and I'm not betting on it being gentle.

My point was that it was being called a "wild" hog. Take one look at it and you can see that it is anything but a "wild" hog. And it's behavior upheld that, too. A truly wild hog is not going to stick around with a little dog barking, a kid screaming and a man meandering around just steps away with a revolver.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm on the same page as ringworm on this one.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That pig ain't 820 pounds.
That guy looks like about 200 pounds. That pig is not 4 times bigger.
But it is a huge hog. My buddy shot a 450 pound hog in central Georgia, and this hog is about the same size.

I hope he didn't try to eat that monster because the meat would be nasty!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As pointed out on another forum, the hog belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson. It escaped its pen while the family was on vacation. Was supposedly quite gentle.

Anyway, the hog looks far too clean and soft to have been living in the wild. Also, I seriously doubt a truly wild hog would have stuck around for a dog's barking, a kid yelling in the house and a guy meandering around with a revolver. Things just didn't add up with this story from the very beginning.

I guess 2K and some horns would have you pissing on the front porch?

The threat of a pig is vastly overrated. Mostly by southern people. And of course Texans.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In olden times folks with big families would raise a "lard hog" just to render out he lard. I've heard that some got so large they would eat laying down. About 1000 lbs was the highest weight I ever heard claimed.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave

I guess 2K and some horns would have you pissing on the front porch?

The threat of a pig is vastly overrated. Mostly by southern people. And of course Texans.

Dave

Was a time when lots of rural folks raised hogs to feed the family and sell food before big commercial operations took control. As in, when i was a kid, and more people were killed in the US , yearly by hogs than by bears.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/19/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I don't know that the threat is over rated.

Once one has been flat on one's back with a 250 lb sow standing on one's chest, trying to bite one's face off, one might consider hogs slightly less dangerous than a black bear.

Just cause I had one of her pigs between my knees, nutting him, that bitch stuck her hooves through a 48 inch high woven wire fence and climbed it like a cat climbing a tree. She came over the fence and took my ass. I saw her coming and picked up a 40 inch long pine 1" x 4". I took a swing at her head as she hit the ground, like Babe Rith swinging for the cheap seats.

The sow caught that piece of lumber in her teeth, jerked it out of my hands, and spit it out on the ground. Then she came right up the front of me snapping at my face. When 250 lbs of pork hits you in the chest at full throttle, I guarantee, you do land flat on your back.

The only thing that saved my throat and my face from her teeth, is that I stuffed my right arm into her jaws. She was a small sow, and lacked the power to crush my arm or break bones. I was wearing a heavy down coat. The sow destroyed the coat. There were several slashes across my belly, and the right arm of the coat was shredded. The little pig came running past, and the momma turned me loose to chase after her baby. Feathers from my coat were floating around in a column about fifteen feet high.

Yes, I killed the sow, but not before she finished raising that litter and regained some of the weight she always lost while nursing babies. She made some decent steaks and chops.

Oh, yes, I put the rest of her litter inside the horse trailer to finish castrating them.

I know what a small hog can do to a person, I would certainly not want to tangle with a large hog. Shoot first, ask questions later.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It is pretty amazing to see how fast a pair of pigs can devour a forty pound tom turkey which has the misfortune of dropping into their pen.

A small child would not last a minute longer.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Best hog thread in a while. Keep the stories coming....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many a body has been disposed of by throwing it into the hog pen. They will eat anything, people included. When I raised hogs, I had a Hampshire sow that was the meanest hog I've ever seen, especially when she had pigs. She would literally eat you up if you tried messing with her pigs. I had an old stable, and used the stalls for farrowing pigs. That sow would climb the walls trying to get to you if you weren't careful. After the second litter of pigs, I put her on the road, as I knew that sooner or later she was going to hurt someone. People who underestimate what a hog can do are people who have never been around them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I don't know that the threat is over rated.

Once one has been flat on one's back with a 250 lb sow standing on one's chest, trying to bite one's face off, one might consider hogs slightly less dangerous than a black bear.

Just cause I had one of her pigs between my knees, nutting him, that bitch stuck her hooves through a 48 inch high woven wire fence and climbed it like a cat climbing a tree. She came over the fence and took my ass. I saw her coming and picked up a 40 inch long pine 1" x 4". I took a swing at her head as she hit the ground, like Babe Rith swinging for the cheap seats.

The sow caught that piece of lumber in her teeth, jerked it out of my hands, and spit it out on the ground. Then she came right up the front of me snapping at my face. When 250 lbs of pork hits you in the chest at full throttle, I guarantee, you do land flat on your back.

The only thing that saved my throat and my face from her teeth, is that I stuffed my right arm into her jaws. She was a small sow, and lacked the power to crush my arm or break bones. I was wearing a heavy down coat. The sow destroyed the coat. There were several slashes across my belly, and the right arm of the coat was shredded. The little pig came running past, and the momma turned me loose to chase after her baby. Feathers from my coat were floating around in a column about fifteen feet high.

Yes, I killed the sow, but not before she finished raising that litter and regained some of the weight she always lost while nursing babies. She made some decent steaks and chops.

Oh, yes, I put the rest of her litter inside the horse trailer to finish castrating them.

I know what a small hog can do to a person, I would certainly not want to tangle with a large hog. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Pretty incredible, you're lucky it wasn't worse. Thanks for sharing. Horses and cattle were enough for me, I never trusted them. They're too big and too crazy.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had pigs on grandma's farm.
I won't underestimate one, esp a sow w piglets.
Absolutely hate 'em. Love porkchops.

Big one like that in the yard.............obviously an escapee.
Would leave it alone (as it belongs to somebody).

If I was outside and it was a threat, sure..........blast it.
Wouldn't go out of my house to pop it.

Wild one? I'd drop the hammer, repeatedly.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They're smart.

Buddy and I bowhunted deer on a farm with free ranging domestic hogs.
Pretty sneaky, we still could only get to about 50 yards and they'd spook.

Somebody tried to start a "wild" population on gov ground near home. Bowhunting deer there.
Dead one somebody popped in the ditch.............never saw a live one.
DNR had 'em on trail cam.

My guess is somebody w night vision got rid of the problem, nipped in the bud.

I was hoping to nail one frown

Last edited by hookeye; 07/20/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Had pigs on grandma's farm.
I won't underestimate one, esp a sow w piglets.
Absolutely hate 'em. Love porkchops.

Big one like that in the yard.............obviously an escapee.
Would leave it alone (as it belongs to somebody).

If I was outside and it was a threat, sure..........blast it.
Wouldn't go out of my house to pop it.

Wild one? I'd drop the hammer, repeatedly.

So you can immediately tell the difference between a hog out of someone's pen, and a feral hog?

I'm talking the long nosed black variety here. Like the one shot.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The article is up on Foxnews now...without the notation that it's an escapee. They're calling it wild. PIGGY

The 1st 3 comments on the article:
sanderdog1 26 minutes ago
As soon as I saw that huge hog I thought of THE HILDABEAST.

FlagShare5LikeReply
Gruffmyster 26 minutes ago
DANG! I thought that was Maxine Waters & her wig fell off.

FlagShare11LikeReply
obamaunqualified 27 minutes ago
ROSIE IS THAT YOU .

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thought this was about the WI fella that had just finally had enough of his mother-in law's attitude so,ummm....never mind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was in junior high, my older (by a lot) cousin raised what were then called Spotted Poland China hogs. He had one, Tiny by name, that weighed close to 1000#. I believe that he had bit that mark for the Minnesota State Fair, but the stress of being hauled around to various fairs had slimmed him down a bit. We were at their farm for Thanksgiving when Ron came in from chores looking like he had either seen or was Marley's Ghost. He had been rounding the crib when Tiny came roaring around the corner, bent on mayhem. Ron's escape was a bit on the narrow side. I, to my great indignation, was not allowed to participate in Tiny's "reincarceration". After he was once again "safely" penned up, it became apparent how he had escaped in the first place. He grabbed the wire of the pen in his mouth and walked backward until he pulled it loose from the posts. Ron had been saving him for the next June, when the heaviest hog sold in Sioux City received a dollar a pound premium. This plan instantly went out the window and the next morning saw Tiny's departure from the premises. At the end of the road he checked in at 940#.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.