Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wade Seago shot this 820 pound wild hog 5 yards from his front porch in Samson, Alabama. The family dog, a small schnauzer alerted Seago that something was up. (Courtesy Wade Seago).

Man shoots mammoth 820 pound wild hog in his front yard

By Joe Songer jsongeral.com

Samson resident Wade Seago knew something was up outside of his home last week when the family's pet schnauzer, Cruiser, started barking constantly. The Seagos live on 100 acres in the rural south Alabama town. The property and surrounding area is teeming with wildlife so it's not unusual for their dog to bark at deer, raccoons or other wild visitors.

But this was different. As he was about to get up and check on his dog, his daughter began screaming. "I jumped up to see what was going on," Wade explained. "I looked out the back window and saw nothing, so I ran to the front of the house where my daughter was looking out the window. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

The dog had a huge wild hog bayed in his front yard, about 5 yards off of the front porch. "Cruiser had this huge hog confused with all of the barking and movement," Wade continued. "It was not a good situation."

Seago is an avid deer hunter and runs a taxidermy business in Samson. He was also a prison guard for several years. He told me that hogs are abundant in the area and he has seen them on his property before, but none the size of this one.

Wade was afraid the huge hog would injure or kill the family pet so he grabbed a .38 caliber revolver that he keeps for home defense and went out on the front porch

"By the time I got in a position to shoot, the hog was about 12 yards away," Wade said. "Cruiser was out of the my line to the hog so I fired."

It took three shots to take him down. The giant hog hit the ground near the carport. The next day, Wade took the wild hog to Brooks Peanut Company and weighed it on the drive-thru scales. The hog tipped the scales at 820 pounds and had six inch tusks.

According to the Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources, feral hogs in Alabama pose a serious threat to native wildlife. High reproductive rates, a lack of natural predators, voracious omnivorous feeding habits, destructive rooting behavior and habitat destruction are just a few reasons why Alabama sportsmen and land managers are encouraged to help control this non-native species. The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that feral hogs cause more than $800 million of agricultural damage in the United States annually.

Feral hogs are considered a game animal in Alabama and have no closed season and no bag limits. This means that on private land, hunters can legally hunt hogs every day of the year with no harvest restrictions.

"I didn't think twice about taking down this hog," Wade concluded. "I'd do it again tomorrow.".

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, 800 lb wild hogs aren't natural, there's simply not enough good food out there for them to get this big by themselves.

The biggest sow I ever had was 710 when I sold her, and she was on a constant diet of good food. I'd bet this one had help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one big fuskin tusker.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
IMO, 800 lb wild hogs aren't natural, there's simply not enough good food out there for them to get this big by themselves.

The biggest sow I ever had was 710 when I sold her, and she was on a constant diet of good food. I'd bet this one had help.

Its still not something you expect your miniature schnauzer to be mixing it up with in the front yard.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And with a 38.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three shots from a .38 revolver. Pretty good shooting.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree unless there's some super heavy supplement feeding going on or some kind of high nutrition agg crop it would be difficult to get one that big. Still those cutters are huge, I wonder how old that boar is?

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.38?

I'm guessing at 810 pounds that Hog had limited mobility

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Looks like something from the Paleozoic.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was hoping this thread was about Rosie. frown

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for him.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
South Alabama has a lot of peanut farms. Hogs can destroy a peanut farm. Also, there are an awful lot of deer hunters who can use deer feeders all year except during hunting season. Hogs can get a lot of corn from these feeders.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 07/18/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Probably, but in an agricultural area there's a lot of food in the crops. Local chicken/livestock farmers may be disposing of bodies in ways other than incinerators. Stock fed openly in pastures especially via spreader trucks or automatic feeders provide a lot of feed. It was also in the lower part of the state so winters are mild. ...but someone may have been throwing massive amounts of dog food to him. Who knows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HOGZILLA!! HOGZILLA!! CALL OUT THE MAWINES!

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And all along we thought there was no need for the 375 H&H in North America!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
And all along we thought there was no need for the 375 H&H in North America!

Indeed there isn't. A .38 special proved to be more than adequate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Its still not something you expect your miniature schnauzer to be mixing it up with in the front yard.

Can't argue with that. Much rather have the hog than a ornery skunk..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
12 yards and with a barking dog and a kid screaming in the house? I'm thinking this thing wasn't entirely wild. It should have been long gone with all that going on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The second picture looks like a mini-rhino.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
And I wonder if there were oysters or just the shell wink. He's the right color so could have been a swamp rooter penned that busted out. Or maybe a future co-star for da pig man that voided the contract.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (204guy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,765
Posts18,515,337
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.