Home
I bought a new GEC #48 UN-D-LX pocketknife yesterday to give to a friend who is getting married soon. He's a young guy and I got to thinking that he probably doesn't have just a regular old style pocketknife. Seems like most men of all ages I run across these days either have some type of tactical style knife or sadly no knife at all. Seems like nobody carries a peanut or a toothpick, rooster, stockman, trapper, a barlow, sodbuster, a canoe, or just a plain old jackknife anymore.

At least except for me. I carry a Camillus Yellow Jaket two blade trapper most days that a great friend gave me as a wedding present. Some days I do rotate in my GEC smooth bone Cody Scout lockback that my wife gave me for Christmas one year. Since shopping the GECs lately I find myself with a strong desire for a new old style knife from them, can't decide between the Crown Lifter and The Beer Scout. Either way it's going to be a sheepfoot springback with a church key.
Case XX Muskrat here.
I carry a 2 bladed Case trapper.

Not a ss blade.
I have several,some with bone slips but most are delrin.
You can't beat a Victorinox pocket knife, my grandson loves them also.
Imperial jack knife
Three blade stockman Case or Buck since I was a kid, all day everyday, it's part of getting dressed
I collect them but carry a leatherman as it's more useful day to day. On those days I do not need it will carry one of my ever expanding collection. Here's a nice one from the early 70's. Schrade made Sears labeled Craftsman Trapper with Stagalon scales.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Swiss Army Pioneer Alox.
A Camillus Stockman since 1950 when my father gave it to me for a birthday present. In my pocket right now. I've no idea how many thousands of cutting "chores" for which I've used it over these many years. Still sharp as a razor and tight as a bull's ass during fly season. wink

L.W.
My EDC is a Scatt&Morgan Heritage Jack.

[Linked Image]
Moore Maker "punch blade" Stockman. All day, every day.
Moore Maker Trapper is always in my right hand pocket.

The Stockman wore holes in my pockets.
Every man should carry a knife of some kind. Never know when you might need to cut a piece of string. I prefer a fixed blade knife with 3 or 4 inch blade. But every man should carry a knife of some kind.
Either a case trapper or stockman most days.

I like several blades. Never know when you need to scrape a gasket off and then cut a slice of spam.
Ian Van Reenen Ivory wharncliffe with roman knot backspring.

http://ianvanreenenknives.com/Galleries.html#57
Just about every N.C. country boy carries what you call an "old" style pocket knife. I usually carry an American made Old Timer or Uncle Henry.
Mostly I carry a Buck 'Companion' (#309) although I like something bigger when working on the farm.

Dale
I stopped at the Case outlet store a couple hours ago and bought a full sized trapper, smooth antique bone scales says the google search.

[Linked Image]

Have been carrying a CRKT cheap liner lock for the past year, and just never did warm up to it. I have tried a few times to use the pocket clip on a liner lock knife for the 'quick access' that it gives you. I don't like that either. My knife belongs in my right pocket, as do my keys and change. I hated reaching into my pocket for my keys and scraping the back of my hand on the knife.

Had a GEC elk antler trapper that got misplaced somewhere. About made me sick when I got home that night and it wasn't in my pocket. j

Have a Ken Coats custom single blade trapper also. Good friend of mine is long time friends of Ken. A nicer guy you would never meet based on the time we swung by his house in Wisconsin and drank iced tea with him and his wife. Had him make me one. I'm too scared of losing that one to carry it. It gets night stand duty. Really is a shame to not use it more.
Carry one of 3 Old Timers, Trapper 2 blade, my Dad's 3 blade I gave him in '68, died in '94, and a 1 blade that locks. All have cleand deer, doves, ducks, squirrels, and a porcupine when I hunted CO.

If Wilkes is from Tabor City( Razor City) he would carry a yellar handle case knife, but I figure him to be from around N. Wilksboro, he got better manners on here than those from RC.
Fatcity, the Craftsman trapper is pretty neat.

FG, the S&M is skookum.

I was a Case guy like my dad until about 5 or 6 years ago. The last two I had didn't measure up quality wise and I kinda moved on to other brands. Just discovered Moore Maker and may have to get one of those someday. Kinda hung up on the Tidioute, Northfield, GEC labels right now.
I used to carry a Camillus Silver Sword till I discovered these,
[Linked Image]

Now I could care less what I cut with it, if ya screw it up just swap blades.
I carry a Queen Med Stockman and a Queen Trapper. Queen makes a very good knife
Ever since I was a kid I've had an "Easy opener" jack knife.

I don't carry it to work but I have it close to hand.

One is a bone Schrade and the other is an Imperial with faux bone.

I'd buy another but they've gone up a bit since these were purchased...
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Case XX Muskrat here.

Same here great knife, and yes I have actually skinned muskrats with it.
For years I carried a nice Buck 501, then after losing a couple switched to a Bucklite 424, same type blade but a cheap plastic handle instead of the 501's nickle bolsters with wood inlays. Much less expensive to replace and hardly noticeable weight.

But now I always carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4. A tiny little blade but the pliers and screwdrivers are real useful. Will add a Buck folding hunter, Kershaw Scallion or Kershaw Blur when a larger knife is called for, but still have that little Leatherman in my pocket.
I carry a Yellow Jacket or Victorinox if I know I'm not going to need a knife much.

I don't know how anybody can walk around without a knife.

Dave
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image]

I find that type of 'folding' utility knife a bit clunky - Gerber makes an EAB LITE folding utility knife, that's solid, slim, small, and very 'wieldy' when deployed!

<><> http://www.imfpc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/gerber-eab-lite-2.jpg <><>

It almost becomes a part of my hand and I can do close intricate work with it.
Those aren't knives.

They're box cutters.

Dave
Since I retired, most of the time I carry one of these small Case single blade knives. Before that I carried a Leatherman Wave. I still use it quite a bit.
[Linked Image]
Every pickup on the ranch has a couple of those box cutters. Work great for net wrap.

But I carry Old timer singles or doubles.

So did Grandpa.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Since I retired, most of the time I carry one of these small Case single blade knives. Before that I carried a Leatherman Wave. I still use it quite a bit.
[Linked Image]

Looks exactly like my Gerber. I carry mine every day. Have since the early 1980s. Sharpens up real easy.
Buck 301. Three blades, and very THICK blades, at that. Probably the toughest "traditional" pocket knife around, though Case's, Queen's, and GEC's look nicer. I like the looks of trappers, but the blade sizes are just wrong. A stockman fits my needs better for a "pocket knife".

Originally Posted by P_Weed
[Linked Image]

I find that type of 'folding' utility knife a bit clunky - Gerber makes an EAB LITE folding utility knife, that's solid, slim, small, and very 'wieldy' when deployed!

I've carried a "box cutter" folding razor knife exactly like the one pictured for around 10 years now except mine has almost all of the blue finish worn off.

Used to always carry a regular pocket knife, usually a small, John Primble, Barlow, Case, or K-bar camper. All too often though I eventually would wind up messing up good pocket knives with salty sweat, pocket lint and using them for things they weren't meant for.

Haven't found much yet that the razor knife can't do equally well. It is a bit bulkier in the pocket but the extra bulk also makes it easier to keep a good grip on.

As always, YMMV
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]

Looks exactly like my Gerber. I carry mine every day. Have since the early 1980s. Sharpens up real easy.

Actually, I have a Gerber just like it but slightly shorter. I think they come from the same factory near Shanghai.
I carry a Case medium stockman in blue bone. If I don't have it with me I feel naked.
Originally Posted by deflave

I don't know how anybody can walk around without a knife.

Dave

I feel the same way. I'm never without one.
An old Ka-Bar two blade my grandpa carried.
Yellow Case single blade.
I carry a Spyderco daily, typically a Police 3 or a Rock Lobster...and always a Sodbuster pattern of some sort. Case, Kissing Crane, etc...While hunting, I will typically forgo both for a single blade lockback in a belt sheath. Always with yellow handles.
I have a Swiss army knife, a lighter, and a flashlight in my pockets, even when headed to church. Other things vary by needs, but those three are constant.
I carry a high carbon steel slipjoint in some flavor in a buckaroo pouch along with a fixed blade everyday. Mostly single blade liner lock trappers and muskrats. Case, GEC, US made old timers and an Eye Brand. I don't trust a man who doesn't carry a pocket knife. A box cutter is better than gnawing through a rope or a seat belt! Hahaha
I own a number of old style pocketknives - several single blade and stockman style - but the old style pocketknife which is almost invariably in my pocket, wherever I go, is one of my Swiss Army knives. In fact that is the case right now, with a Victorinox in my pocket as I type this. They are just so versatile and handy, for all sorts of uses.I have several SAK's, the oldest being one handed down by my grandfather which was made more than 50 years ago, and there'd hardly be a day go by that I don't use one for something.
Nope. Don't have a need for a daily pocket knife. Never have.
I have several of my Dads knives, I used to carry one myself. Then one day I was doing something with it, had my hand wrapped around it, and the blade half way folded against my fingers. Now, if it doesn't lock open, I don't carry it. I carry a multi tool every day, never know when I could use one of the other tools in it.
Victorinox Tinker 30 yrs- wore out at 2.
I have always carried a pocket knife until my current job. I have carried a Barlow style knife. A small Buck cattleman, a Case sodbuster jr and an Uncle Henry trapper. In about nine months, I will once again have a knife in my pocket daily.
I've carried a Victorinox classic since it was ok for a high school kid to have a pocket knife. The old one is semi-retired now, as it has gotten pretty beat up over the years. The current one has the fancy pink scales to make it easier to see when it's put down in odd spots.
I carry a Case Trapper and Victorinox Huntsman.
I carry a leather man wave and a knife always. Pocket knife has varied over the years,usually a trapper. 4 years ago I picked up a Rough Rider one-armed trapper on a whim and I like it. The razor blade is sweet for fine slicing. I have a Schatt & Morgan railsplitter that I think is the best knife I have owned. The two above are stainless that I normally shun for carbon steel. I also have a Moore Maker large trapper with a liner lock on the clip blade that is a great knife.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Three blade stockman Case or Buck since I was a kid, all day everyday, it's part of getting dressed

Same here Sir. Great knives.

Jim
I carry a Buck 307 stockman for everyday and a Case CV Trapper during hunting season. I have to agree with Wayne Shaw that a locking knife is safer but I still like traditional slip joints a little better.
I've got several made by case, uncle henry, or buck. The only standard style pocket knife that gets carried regularly is the smallest style swiss army. I found years ago that there were better knives for serious use.

The little swiss army is different in that it carries several conveniences on board. I use the toothpick, the tweezers, and the scissors constantly. And that little pen knife blade is worth having too.
When it comes to knives, the "just right" knife is worth it's weight in gold. I bought a Randall #1 just off post from Ft Bragg. The shop owner gave me a Gerber classic the same day. The Randall became a load to carry. The Gerber became indispensible.
I have carried a pocket knife for over fifty years.The pattern I carry the most is a Trapper.

[Linked Image]
I do not feel properly dressed unless I have a knife on me. I have a saying....if I have my pants on, then I have a knife. I carried a regular old fashioned pocketknife for many, many years. Case, Buck, Kissing Crane, and even some cheap non descript ones. Now days I carry a Kershaw, single blade, speed opening, with a pocket clip. It is a good knife. The other day, we had been riding horses and came back to the barn. I made a rookie mistake.......unsaddled my old gelding, and left the reins on the ground, and he stepped in them, and of course it tightened up on him, and he began to back up, knocking things over in the barn and getting my granddaughters horse all excited. I pulled out my knife, flicked it open, and had the reins cut, just using my right hand, all in the time it would have taken me to just pull a regular pocketknife out of my jeans pocket. But, my Sunday knife that I carry is a Case Stockman, just because it can't be seen.

Looks like most of the above kinves have not been carried or used, let alone sharpened.
I carry a yellow handled Case Sodbuster Jr. with me everywhere except for when I'm working. I like it. The blade is CV steel, so you have to keep an eye on it, but it's a simple thing to get it shaving sharp. No safety or belt clip.. cheap, tough, and simple as can be. I love mine.
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
if it doesn't lock open, I don't carry it.

Same here.
Once in a while a truly great but very simple invention comes along and everyone wonders why nobody thought of it earlier. The locking blade knife is one of them.
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by P_Weed
[Linked Image]

I've carried a "box cutter" folding razor knife exactly like the one pictured for around 10 years now except mine has almost all of the blue finish worn off.

Used to always carry a regular pocket knife, usually a small, John Primble, Barlow, Case, or K-bar camper. All too often though I eventually would wind up messing up good pocket knives with salty sweat, pocket lint and using them for things they weren't meant for.

Haven't found much yet that the razor knife can't do equally well. It is a bit bulkier in the pocket but the extra bulk also makes it easier to keep a good grip on.

As always, YMMV

Work pretty good for slicing an apple? How about cutting summer sausage and cheese slices for a cracker?
Yes, I sometimes carry an old Case 'Lockhorn"
I tend to loose pocket knives, so I get the chance to use several types. I do normally carry a jack knife of some sort...usually Case or such, but have tried Trappers before too.

Next to a bull skeleton in Cliff Creek Wyoming, there's 2 expensive pocket knives right now. By the time I realized they got left behind, I was too tired to go back just for them. Hopefully I can find them this fall and see how they weathered the winter. Should be a good test for their quality.
My dad is a very simple guy and I gave him one of these Gerber's about 10 years ago for Xmas, he loves it and I certainly see the benefit of replaceable blades.

[Linked Image]

I like simple myself and with dozens of EDC knives prefer baby Sodbuster's but it's hard not to carry my Dowell folder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by cisco1

Looks like most of the above kinves have not been carried or used, let alone sharpened.

This better?
[Linked Image]

Looks like it is used , sharpened and carried.
I wore out a good many Case trappers, sharpened so much blades looked like a needle.
I seem to alternate between these two. The Schrade 80T Old Timer I've had since my early 20's. It replaced one just like it I had as a kid and has survived a flooded basement. The blade is a bit stained from the few days of being in the silt but otherwise serviceable. The Gerber I got 25 years ago for extending a magazine subscription an extra couple of years. It's been a good knife.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Moore Maker Trapper is always in my right hand pocket.

The Stockman wore holes in my pockets.

Moore Maker moose pattern here... you know that there are 2 grades of Moore Maker knives? The ones with plastic scales and the ones with real bone and very good carbon steel blades... quality and worth every penny IMHO.
Originally Posted by mart
I seem to alternate between these two. The Schrade 80T Old Timer I've had since my early 20's. It replaced one just like it I had as a kid and has survived a flooded basement. The blade is a bit stained from the few days of being in the silt but otherwise serviceable. The Gerber I got 25 years ago for extending a magazine subscription an extra couple of years. It's been a good knife.

[Linked Image]

That Gerber has seen a stone or two!

Dave
I never leave the House without one ,part of getting dressed, Buck 505 Small size but Quality . I couldn't count how many times my Wife has asked for it when we are out and she needed one.
Mart,

Bought a Gerber 300 at Freddies in Fairbanks years ago. It was a Federal .22 promotion. About time to retire it. I sold all my old well used pocket knives at gun shows . No use for non- lockers.

Never had any use for a dull pocket knife.

Attached picture IMG_2047.jpg
Currently, a Case mini-trapper. The full-sized trappers wear holes in my pockets.
My favorite was a Moore-Maker Mini Trapper with buffalo horn scales - stolen out of my baggage on a trip to Chicago several years ago. I couldn't find one when I returned, so wound up with the Case.
I've carried a knife since I was five. Naked without my glasses, knife, wallet, or pen. I'd rather forget my hearing aids than any of the above. smile
Yeah, I carried it as my only pocket knife for years. The Old Timer was in a box after I cleaned it up from the flood and only came across it a couple of years back. The Gerber was my everything knife back in my trapping days and has skinned hundreds of coyotes and beaver, and not a few deer. I never carried a belt knife when I deer hunted, just kept the Gerber sharp.
Buck 501
Originally Posted by EdM
Nope. Don't have a need for a daily pocket knife. Never have.

Ha, I know you. The guy who says "Does anyone have a pocket knife". šŸ˜€
Either a Leatherman or a Case, or both.
New kid at work, just graduated HS, asked me to borrow my pocketknife the other day. When I asked where his was he replied that he didn't carry one. I assured him that it would be okay because he could borrow mine this time and someday his nuts would drop and he could carry a knife of his own.

My checklist for a long time before I could leave the house was to feel my pockets and make sure I had my phone, knife, glasses, and snuff. Don't need glasses any more and gave up the Copenhagen but you can be damn sure that if I've got pants on there's a knife in them.
Originally Posted by cisco1

Looks like it is used , sharpened and carried.
I wore out a good many Case trappers, sharpened so much blades looked like a needle.

Sharpen it enough that every now and then I have to do a little grinder work towards the rear of the blade so the tip isn't snagging everything when closed.
Currently rotating between these three. Always try to have a knife handy - kind of a boy scout, "always prepared" thing.

[Linked Image]
I like the rams horn. What brand are they?
My two grandfathers and my father carried Barlow style pocketknives, so do I.

Old Timer Barlow.

[Linked Image]
The knife I EDC must have a pocket clip, open 1 handed and lock open. A Spyderco Native has worked for the last 10 years.

mike r
To the Kid's question, the one in the center is a Schatt and Morgan, the two outside are GEC.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The knife I EDC must have a pocket clip, open 1 handed and lock open. A Spyderco Native has worked for the last 10 years.

mike r

Same here. Used to carry a Buck Stockman I bought while in the Army but it would wear holes in my pockets and the blades didn't lock. It still gets used a lot but mostly it stays on my reloading bench and opens boxes of bullets. Carried a Gerber mini lockback on a key ring for many years but it wasn't big enough for anything but opening envelopes.

Now I carry a Kershaw Skyline with 3" blade and pocket clip that flips open with one finger assist and is big enough to do most chores. It's not a fighter by any means but it is big enough to hurt someone if things ever came to that. Also carry a tiny little Swiss Army knife but mostly for the tweezers and toothpick.

[Linked Image]
Usually this Stockman or one nearly like it.

[Linked Image]
Constant companions in my working days for the Sheriff's Dept. Gerber folder and early Guardian.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What I carry daily now. Case Razor edge and Camulis Blaze assisted opening

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My Sunday go to meeting Knife. Case small Trapper

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Case med stockman.
Boker three blade
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Currently, a Case mini-trapper. The full-sized trappers wear holes in my pockets.

I have the same problem with my Leatherman Charge Ti.....

[Linked Image]

I've lost two of them but wouldn't think of leaving home without it. Use it constantly. Always feeling my pocket to make sure it's there, that and the damn phone.

[Linked Image]

Keep this in another pocket during feeding season. Net wrap slicer.

[Linked Image]
Usually a Kershaw Leek or a US made Buck 722. If I don't want some quick opening folder clipped to my pocket it's a Case trapper or a very slim, very sharp German folder my wife bought me.

More than once my wife has been heard to ask (in a disdainful tone of voice) "What kind of man doesn't have a knife in his pocket?"

My grandfather, who gave me my first pocket knife on my 6th birthday felt a man should never leave the house without his watch, a belt for his pants, and a knife in his pocket.

Sometimes I carry others, but those are the most frequent. I'm an accumulator, not a collector.
Some more of my traditional carbon steel folders.
I started out with Schrades.

[Linked Image]

Nowdays it's convex edged Jack knives.
S&M and a smaller GEC

[Linked Image]

Another S&M with two blades...and the nicest one in my humble collection...Northwoods Indian River Jack.

[Linked Image]
Sweet knives Sir.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I assured him that it would be okay because he could borrow mine this time and someday his nuts would drop and he could carry a knife of his own.

I cringe every time when someone uses the words 'nuts' and 'knife' in the same sentence.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Sweet knives Sir.

Yep, nice stash there Charlie....
Schrades, Case, Buck, Gerber etc. Carry different ones all the time. Don't forget Opinel.

I have been wiring a couple fo vehicles over the past few days and have been using this, Early Robeson Pocketeze.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't know if it fits the category, but I have carried a Buck 112 Ranger on my belt nearly everyday since 1973.
Tried carrying an expensive high end knife as an EDC at work...big mistake. Even with CPM 3V, working around the dirt and cutting things like cardboard and Geo-Tex fabric ate that thing up in no time. Now, i carrry a box cutter at work.

For leisure or recreation it depends on what use might be required. The Skeletool is hella useful but definitely bulkier. The SAK has the tweezers and scissors which get used more than one would think. Having said all that, probably my fave 'gentleman's knife' for light duty and all around comfort carry is the GEC Beer Scout. Love that thing.

Bottom two are an ENZO with CF scales and D2 Scandi and a Gerber I've had forever (can't even remember the model name--mini-Gator?).

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I don't know if it fits the category, but I have carried a Buck 112 Ranger on my belt nearly everyday since 1973.

yes it counts.

Dave
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Some more of my traditional carbon steel folders.
I started out with Schrades.

[Linked Image]

Nowdays it's convex edged Jack knives.
S&M and a smaller GEC

[Linked Image]

Another S&M with two blades...and the nicest one in my humble collection...Northwoods Indian River Jack.

[Linked Image]

Nice.

Travis
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I have the same problem with my Leatherman Charge Ti.....

[Linked Image]

I've lost two of them but wouldn't think of leaving home without it. Use it constantly. Always feeling my pocket to make sure it's there, that and the damn phone.

[Linked Image]

Keep this in another pocket during feeding season. Net wrap slicer.

[Linked Image]

Try the Wingman. I'd be surprised if you didn't love it.

Travis
i carry a case trapper every day. very useful here on the farm. great for cutting the ribs out of crappie fillets and cleaning squirrels too.
Dude, last weekend I found a Leatherman when I stopped to open a gate.

It's outside but I thought it was a Wingman, gonna go check....
Sidekick...
Queen big chief
Sidekick...

Sidekick is better if you're outdoors, anyway. More likely to need a saw than a pair of scissors....

I've got a Super Tool 300. Too big.
Rebar is nice, but have to open to get knife blade out.
Sidekick/wingman are "cheaper" but size/features just right and blade available without opening. Just wish they had a good wire cutter like the Rebar.
A couple of my old Case knives, A Hunter and a Trapper

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MojoHand
...Gerber I've had forever (can't even remember the model name--mini-Gator?).

[Linked Image]

Those little Gerbers were great no nonsense inexpensive pocket knives.
Often I'll have a Sodbuster or Sodbuster Jr. in my pocket.
Sidekick...

That one is ALMOST as good. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's about $20.00 more so if/when you lose it, it hurts a little more.

But it has the spring loaded pliers and a bunch of other useful schit. Like the clip and thumb hole'd blade.

Dave
I checked over the main blade and it appears to be almost unused....

Probably a little fent or meth residue....

And noticed there is a spring loaded plier, yep.

Rub it against your gums.

And then see if it has scissors. I love them scissors.

Dave
I used to buy those el-cheapo $3 dollar knives at gun shows for work. I was always dinking around with them when they got loose. Finally I bought a Gerber E-Z Out with the pocket clip. I lost my first one but now I have a serrated one for work and a smooth blade for everything else. I'm never without it.
I have a small Leatherman that my engraver buddy engraved and gave me and the wife a matched set for our wedding. It's pretty small but still has 5 or 6 tools in it. I keep it in my daypack that I haul around when hunting or hiking and 4 wheeling, too bulky for my pocket but nice to have along for the pliers and screwdrivers.

I have a neat Sodbuster Jr that I've never seen another of. It's a John Deere green CaseXX with a 440 stainless blade. Case swore when I asked that they'd never made a SS Sodbuster but I've dang sure got one. The blade is hard as the hubs of hell, really hard to sharpen, but stays sharp once you get an edge on it.
This little bugger came in the shop one day in a little paste board box of assorted folders. I was one of the last to go thru the box and amongst the old Sabre and old ImpƩrial plastic handled stuff lay this. Says Sheffield Made on blade. Nice handles too!

[Linked Image]

Got it for like $3 or $4.
Two bladed Buck trapper. Last thing my Dad ever handed to me.
Originally Posted by deflave
Rub it against your gums.

And then see if it has scissors. I love them scissors.

Dave

I carry a Swiss Army Knife Hunter. Used to think that any knife that had scissors was a sissy knife. Turns out I use the scissors more than anything. I love them scissors too.
If I have got my pants on, I have a two bladed trapper with me. Don't know how any man gets through the day without a pocket knife.
Uncle Henry stockman at work. Case stockman or trapper at home.
My grandfather taught me when I was somewhere around ten that a gentleman was not dressed unless he had a pocket knife, a Zippo lighter, a clean handkerchief in one hip pocket and a clean, ironed, white handkerchief in his other hip pocket in case you should come upon a lady in distress. It is one of his old fashioned lessons I still adhere to almost every day with the execptions of when flying or at the VA hospital where all weapons are prohibited by federal law.

In the Nave at my first PDS I had a Master Chief for a boss and he hammered into my new guy soft brain a proper knife was sharp, could be in my hand quickly and easily, opened, used, closed, and put away all with only using one hand as aboard ship it could save your life. He would inspect me every day to see if I had it.

When dressed for a fancy occasion the knife is an old Japanese made Gerber folding pocket knife. In my normal jeans dress you will always a folding knife I would be willing to present is called upon bu that old Master Chief.

Today the idea of the zippo is kind of outdated but I still carry a real Zippo but it has a butane insert. As for the clean, white, ironed handkerchief, I have not given one to a lady in distress since yesterday afternoon. She was shocked and grateful at the same time. I have a new clean, ironed white handkerchief in my right hip pocket as I type this.
Originally Posted by Scott F
My grandfather taught me when I was somewhere around ten that a gentleman was not dressed unless he had a pocket knife, a Zippo lighter, a clean handkerchief in one hip pocket and a clean, ironed, white handkerchief in his other hip pocket in case you should come upon a lady in distress. It is one of his old fashioned lessons I still adhere to almost every day with the execptions of when flying or at the VA hospital where all weapons are prohibited by federal law.

In the Nave at my first PDS I had a Master Chief for a boss and he hammered into my new guy soft brain a proper knife was sharp, could be in my hand quickly and easily, opened, used, closed, and put away all with only using one hand as aboard ship it could save your life. He would inspect me every day to see if I had it.

When dressed for a fancy occasion the knife is an old Japanese made Gerber folding pocket knife. In my normal jeans dress you will always a folding knife I would be willing to present is called upon bu that old Master Chief.

Today the idea of the zippo is kind of outdated but I still carry a real Zippo but it has a butane insert. As for the clean, white, ironed handkerchief, I have not given one to a lady in distress since yesterday afternoon. She was shocked and grateful at the same time. I have a new clean, ironed white handkerchief in my right hip pocket as I type this.

Add a roll of cord in there and I would suspect he had been a marine.
My grandfather kept an oldstyle Case pen knife with him his whole life. When he died, one was in the bag we brought back from the hospital. All told, there were five in his drawer. One had had its smallest blade sharpened down to a toothpick. That was the one he'd started carrying at age 6.

My Dad and I split Grandpa's collection. I was always a Swiss Army Knife kind of guy. Dad gave me one he'd gotten as a Christmas present in 1968. I wore out that one and then went through 4 more. Over the years. I'm fond of the Advanced Tinker model. I find the saw, the hacksaw, and the scissors especially handy.

So last Christmas, I was kind of low on funds. I'd started a new job, but the first paycheck had not yet arrived. I figured I'd give my 3 sons one of their great-grandad's pocket knives each. Dad was dead too, so I went looking through his stuff and found the other half of the collection. Sadly, they'd all rusted up from disuse. I got them all cleaned up and realized they weren't all that good looking and weren't all that useful. So I went online and tried to find new Case pen knives for all of them and found out Case didn't make pen knives anymore. Figures. When Grandpa got his first one, he was actually using it to cut quills for pens. It's only been 115 years. So now what?

I figured I'd buy everyone a Swiss Army Knife-- found the Camper Model. Ordered one for everyone on the list.

I also finally figured out over the winter it might be a good idea to have a lockblade. The handiest lockblade I know is the Ka-Bar 4062 Folding Hunter. Actually, my favorite is the Buck 110 Folding Hunter, but it's a bit much for work and I'm not expecting to do surgery on a deer. I ordered the Ka-Bar and I've got it in my pocket now. I bought one for KYHillChick as well.
3 blade Kutmaster made in Utica NY
Most days I carry a Buck Peanut[style].

As a side note, I sent my 110 in for a checkup to Buck last month. This 110 was my first ever real knife, bought new in the mid 70's. I was pretty rough on it, sticking it[throwing] into the ground, partial opening then pretend it was an assisted opening knife with the flick of a wrist etc. It hadn't seen the light of day in well over 30 years.
Unreal what they did with that knife for $6.95!!!!
It won't see the light of day for a few more years as I plan on giving it to our grandson once he comes of age.
Heck! Old TL-29's are cool too!!

[Linked Image]
Sidekick...

Sidekick>Wingman... I have been packing one everyday for a few years now, cain't go anywhere without it. Love the clip and saw.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This little bugger came in the shop one day in a little paste board box of assorted folders. I was one of the last to go thru the box and amongst the old Sabre and old ImpƩrial plastic handled stuff lay this. Says Sheffield Made on blade. Nice handles too!

[Linked Image]

Speaking of Sheffield.......does a Solgen steel Charles Loyd single blade Barlow from the 40's made in Sheffield do any thing for ya?
Almost 80 years old and still snaps like an Alligator......

[Linked Image]

This thread caused me to wonder about the age of this Case knife I carry, so I looked at Case's Website.

1950-64

http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/tang_stamps/
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image]

Speaking of Sheffield.......does a Solgen steel Charles Loyd single blade Barlow from the 40's made in Sheffield do any thing for ya?
Almost 80 years old and still snaps like an Alligator......

[Linked Image]

Yes!!!!
Most of then time.
I have collected cutting instruments, i.e. knives, since i was a kid, all kinds. Kind of interesting some of the brand names mentioned here, like kutmaster, lot of them made knives for the military in WWII.
I am using mostly these days a little swiss army knife, but for many many years i used something surprised not mentioned here.
the little metal sided knife marked "US" on the side. I am looking at one of them right now made by Camillus, marked so on the blade
and the date l992. another one marked 1984. I think they were issued or available in the military at one time. Another one of interest is a
Colonial with the plastic type handle, a folder. Colonial was kind of interesting in they made a knife in WWIII like a Mark I USN, with that plastic t type handle, all the other manufacturers had a leather ringed handle.
I have a few Case knives.
I have a dozen grandkids and have been buying them all a case stockman when they turn 7.
I'd never heard of the GEC pocketknifes that are handmade in PA until this thread. You sorry SOB's are gonna cost me some money grin

I have carried a yellow bone handled Case Trapper near most of my life. Untill one day it folded on me while I was being a dumbass and prying something with it. Cut my damn trigger finger all the way to the bone!

Nowadays I usually carry a Spyderco Delica, and a ProTech switchblade.

But I still love to collect traditional old pocket knives. And I've got GrandDad's and Great GrandDad's pocket knifes that they carried all their life's as ranchers. Both are in rough condition, because like most ole Ranchers, they used the hell out of em!
But they are a very prized keepsake & sentimental to me. Between those two knives, I wished I knew how many thousands of calfs that were castorated with them over a 100 year period.
I carry custom hand made versions of these old time pocket knives ( slipjoint) I like all kinds of knives. Folders,I have bought and owned all types,but in the end I carry the slip joint. Lock back too. Once I got into selling knives,I could not go back to carrying a factory made slipjoint just out of principal ,like why ?

Some guys loose stuff out of their pockets all the time. I'd suggest a factory knife for them,less expensive.

Right now I have the remainder of the last batch of John Lloyd pocket knives listed FS on my site. I got the green light from John to accept reasonable offers on these. I have been auctioning them off on my Facebook group.

When I first got into these custom slipjoint folders there was no maker like John around. This is a good time for this style of knife,for a buyer,there are many makers doing it.

For guys who like to clip the knife Case makes some models with clips.

A lot of the feedback I get as to why guys do not like the slip joint style,is that like 4" size knives turn sideways in their front pocket makes for an uncomfortable carry. Other guys work that problem out,sheaths,pocket pouches,back pocket,etc.

If you want a custom hand made version f one of these " old time" folders look me up chances are I can get you one .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Check out Lloyd Afield

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A few more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is my Menefee " Pacheco"

This has become quite popular

[Linked Image]
I like India Sambar stag for covers ( handle scales)

[Linked Image]
Menefee 4-5/8" " Backpocket " I like maple too

[Linked Image]
A few more Lloyd's then I'll leave ya alone

This one's still available

[Linked Image]

Recently sold

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I have a dozen grandkids and have been buying them all a case stockman when they turn 7.
Oh oh. That expert on all things outdoors, Pat McManus, contends that 7 is too young. Only when a kid reaches 8 is he mature enough to have a knife.
Buck 501 folder. Everyday.
© 24hourcampfire