Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I carry a high carbon steel slipjoint in some flavor in a buckaroo pouch along with a fixed blade everyday. Mostly single blade liner lock trappers and muskrats. Case, GEC, US made old timers and an Eye Brand. I don't trust a man who doesn't carry a pocket knife. A box cutter is better than gnawing through a rope or a seat belt! Hahaha

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I own a number of old style pocketknives - several single blade and stockman style - but the old style pocketknife which is almost invariably in my pocket, wherever I go, is one of my Swiss Army knives. In fact that is the case right now, with a Victorinox in my pocket as I type this. They are just so versatile and handy, for all sorts of uses.I have several SAK's, the oldest being one handed down by my grandfather which was made more than 50 years ago, and there'd hardly be a day go by that I don't use one for something.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope. Don't have a need for a daily pocket knife. Never have.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have several of my Dads knives, I used to carry one myself. Then one day I was doing something with it, had my hand wrapped around it, and the blade half way folded against my fingers. Now, if it doesn't lock open, I don't carry it. I carry a multi tool every day, never know when I could use one of the other tools in it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Victorinox Tinker 30 yrs- wore out at 2.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have always carried a pocket knife until my current job. I have carried a Barlow style knife. A small Buck cattleman, a Case sodbuster jr and an Uncle Henry trapper. In about nine months, I will once again have a knife in my pocket daily.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've carried a Victorinox classic since it was ok for a high school kid to have a pocket knife. The old one is semi-retired now, as it has gotten pretty beat up over the years. The current one has the fancy pink scales to make it easier to see when it's put down in odd spots.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I carry a Case Trapper and Victorinox Huntsman.

μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I carry a leather man wave and a knife always. Pocket knife has varied over the years,usually a trapper. 4 years ago I picked up a Rough Rider one-armed trapper on a whim and I like it. The razor blade is sweet for fine slicing. I have a Schatt & Morgan railsplitter that I think is the best knife I have owned. The two above are stainless that I normally shun for carbon steel. I also have a Moore Maker large trapper with a liner lock on the clip blade that is a great knife.

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
Three blade stockman Case or Buck since I was a kid, all day everyday, it's part of getting dressed

Same here Sir. Great knives.

Jim

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I carry a Buck 307 stockman for everyday and a Case CV Trapper during hunting season. I have to agree with Wayne Shaw that a locking knife is safer but I still like traditional slip joints a little better.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got several made by case, uncle henry, or buck. The only standard style pocket knife that gets carried regularly is the smallest style swiss army. I found years ago that there were better knives for serious use.

The little swiss army is different in that it carries several conveniences on board. I use the toothpick, the tweezers, and the scissors constantly. And that little pen knife blade is worth having too.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it comes to knives, the "just right" knife is worth it's weight in gold. I bought a Randall #1 just off post from Ft Bragg. The shop owner gave me a Gerber classic the same day. The Randall became a load to carry. The Gerber became indispensible.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have carried a pocket knife for over fifty years.The pattern I carry the most is a Trapper.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not feel properly dressed unless I have a knife on me. I have a saying....if I have my pants on, then I have a knife. I carried a regular old fashioned pocketknife for many, many years. Case, Buck, Kissing Crane, and even some cheap non descript ones. Now days I carry a Kershaw, single blade, speed opening, with a pocket clip. It is a good knife. The other day, we had been riding horses and came back to the barn. I made a rookie mistake.......unsaddled my old gelding, and left the reins on the ground, and he stepped in them, and of course it tightened up on him, and he began to back up, knocking things over in the barn and getting my granddaughters horse all excited. I pulled out my knife, flicked it open, and had the reins cut, just using my right hand, all in the time it would have taken me to just pull a regular pocketknife out of my jeans pocket. But, my Sunday knife that I carry is a Case Stockman, just because it can't be seen.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Looks like most of the above kinves have not been carried or used, let alone sharpened.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I carry a yellow handled Case Sodbuster Jr. with me everywhere except for when I'm working. I like it. The blade is CV steel, so you have to keep an eye on it, but it's a simple thing to get it shaving sharp. No safety or belt clip.. cheap, tough, and simple as can be. I love mine.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
if it doesn't lock open, I don't carry it.

Same here.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once in a while a truly great but very simple invention comes along and everyone wonders why nobody thought of it earlier. The locking blade knife is one of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by P_Weed
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I used to carry a Camillus Silver Sword till I discovered these,
[Linked Image]

Now I could care less what I cut with it, if ya screw it up just swap blades.

I find that type of 'folding' utility knife a bit clunky - Gerber makes an EAB LITE folding utility knife, that's solid, slim, small, and very 'wieldy' when deployed!

<><> http://www.imfpc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/gerber-eab-lite-2.jpg <><>

It almost becomes a part of my hand and I can do close intricate work with it.

I've carried a "box cutter" folding razor knife exactly like the one pictured for around 10 years now except mine has almost all of the blue finish worn off.

Used to always carry a regular pocket knife, usually a small, John Primble, Barlow, Case, or K-bar camper. All too often though I eventually would wind up messing up good pocket knives with salty sweat, pocket lint and using them for things they weren't meant for.

Haven't found much yet that the razor knife can't do equally well. It is a bit bulkier in the pocket but the extra bulk also makes it easier to keep a good grip on.

As always, YMMV

Work pretty good for slicing an apple? How about cutting summer sausage and cheese slices for a cracker?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,213
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.