Home
You should just wrap your kids in bubble wrap, you freaking idiots...

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2017/bcr-2017-220967.abstract
Significant Nerf gun ocular injuries are not reported in the literature, as far as we know. This case series serves to raise awareness of the seriousness of Nerf gun ocular injuries. It encourages further exploration of reasons for such injuries, as well as a review of protective measures against ocular trauma.

This is the kind of stuff we survived as kids..
[Linked Image]
I think of the stuff I did as a kid and I'm damn lucky to have both eyes, arms and feet. Between unsafe and insane fireworks, lawn darts and shooting arrows straight up it's a damn wonder we made it to adulthood. I bet my reflexes are better than a skinny jeans wearing millennial. 😁
Ah yes.. arrows shot straight up. Did that. Battles with bottle rockets and roman candles, did that. Seeing how close you could stick a knife in the ground by your buddy's foot... Okay, that one was just plain stupid.
Yeah, sometimes I wonder how we made it to our teenage years. Then the teenage years....that's something altogether different. My bull riding career ended before I was a teen....I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE!

I only ended up in the hospital twice, nothing to serious either. Don't know how it wasn't many more times then that. Guess being lucky really is better then being good.

Nerf guns....

NYH1.
Shooting arrow straight up in the air,done that, have the scars to prove it. Played "war" with BB guns,done that, still have both eyes working fine <whew> Playing "mummy peg" with knife and fingers, <sighs> yes have scars to prove that too. Jumped off house roofs to play "Stunt Man" survived with just a sprained ankles, no broken bones. < another whew>
Now as an adult I realize the fun I had as a child experimenting with life. As a Farther of 4 boys, I now sit back and cringe over the things they are doing. Riding skateboards down a 1/4 mile hill road. Jumping off bridges 15 ft over water. I just hope they survive with minimum injuries. We do not have video games in our house, and limited TV watching. Life is a one time deal, make the most fun you can cause there is no "do overs" in life.
Between motorcycles, tree houses, rafts, swimming two miles across the lake, wind surfing in 70 mph winds...... not a chance I am still alive.
and shooting arrows straight up

When I acquired my first bow, a note on the box said something to the tune of "one can not shoot arrows straight up." In my mind, that sounded like a challenge and I instantly took it on. As the arrow disappeared from sight, I immediately questioned the wisdom of that action. I froze in place and the arrow landed 20 or 30 yds to one side never to be repeated.

As to the root question, experience is by far the best teacher. A description of an electric fence jolt simply does not cut it. One must have the experience.

We lived, because we did not push things to that fatal edge. When the results hurt, we recognized that expanding the limits would only hurt more. So far though, I'd do it all over again.
Originally Posted by Tansun
Shooting arrow straight up in the air,done that, have the scars to prove it. Played "war" with BB guns,done that, still have both eyes working fine <whew> Playing "mummy peg" with knife and fingers, <sighs> yes have scars to prove that too. Jumped off house roofs to play "Stunt Man" survived with just a sprained ankles, no broken bones. < another whew>
Now as an adult I realize the fun I had as a child experimenting with life. As a Farther of 4 boys, I now sit back and cringe over the things they are doing. Riding skateboards down a 1/4 mile hill road. Jumping off bridges 15 ft over water. I just hope they survive with minimum injuries. We do not have video games in our house, and limited TV watching. Life is a one time deal, make the most fun you can cause there is no "do overs" in life.

Boys are great aren't they.

I looked out the window a few weeks ago and watched my son riding his four wheeler pulling his friend down the road on a skateboard about 30 mph. My wife says are you gonna say something to them. I said yes. I opened the front door, yell to them to replace the wheel bearing grease in the skateboard wheels with a thicker grade if they're gonna go those speeds and closed the door....my wife looked at me like I had a hole in my head and was speechless. I don't know why. You can really burn little wheel bearing up quick with high speeds thin grease.

NYH1.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ah yes.. arrows shot straight up. Did that. Battles with bottle rockets and roman candles, did that. Seeing how close you could stick a knife in the ground by your buddy's foot... Okay, that one was just plain stupid.

Yep. I still have the scar on my foot where my brother's arrow pinned me to the ground 50 years ago.
[Linked Image]
One of the favorite pastimes of my neighborhood yutes was having rock fights at a nearby construction site. It was all good until somebody got beaned in the head and started crying.

We switched to dirt clods but that still ended up with someone crying.

Everyone that got beaned didn't wanna play that game anymore.

Oh well. Live and learn.
We called them dirt bomb fights and they'll split your younger brothers head open but apparently anything will split a younger brothers head, younger brothers have soft heads. Also everything you throw, on purpose and by accident, is attracted to the head of your younger brother. Bottle rockets, dirt bombs, rocks and spark plugs all are supernaturally attracted to younger brothers heads. 😁

BB gun wars were awesome and the water tower at the end of our private road was the perfect location for a snipers nest...5 pump max.
All of the above and more but I am still here.
it was all fun and games until i switched out a snowball with a rock. johnny screamed and screamed and i laughed and laughed. good times, good times...
Originally Posted by T LEE

Exactamundo! Hardly any home made pyrotechnics were mentioned...... whistle
Originally Posted by KMS

Yep. I still have the scar on my foot where my brother's arrow pinned me to the ground 50 years ago.

LOL!

i was pretty good at playing this game with a knife, but did get myself a few times.

Did the arrow in the air deal. It landed on the hood of my Dads 73 Malibu. He never could figure out how that dent got there..... Had a BB bounce off of a nail head one day and came back and stuck right in the corner of my eye by my nose that was a close one.
Homemade darts with sewing needle and yarn for fletchings shot through the body of a bic pin. I was getting pretty good with it until my sister wanted to try. She sucked the dart down her throat. Luckily she coughed it back up with little injury that was the end of that experiment.

Jumping bicycles over anything we could find no helmets or pads if you crashed you walked it off and tried again.

The best sledding hill we had ended at a 10 foot drop off into the creek. We would fly down on the sleds and jump off before we got to the creek and then dig the sleds out of the bushes. One day I got tangled up in the sled and couldnt get off in time. Luckily there was a tree across the creek and I somehow managed to slide out onto the tree about 6 feet had a hell of a time getting back to land.

Had several firecrackers blow up in my hand until I figured out that wasnt a good idea. Managed to set my buddies leg on fire with a roman candle we were having a firework war and he had a bunch of bottle rockets stuffed in his knee high socks. I managed to set them on fire with a roman candle ball. I kinda wished we would of had a cam corder for that one.
You should just wrap your kids in bubble wrap, you freaking idiots...

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2017/bcr-2017-220967.abstract
Significant Nerf gun ocular injuries are not reported in the literature, as far as we know. This case series serves to raise awareness of the seriousness of Nerf gun ocular injuries. It encourages further exploration of reasons for such injuries, as well as a review of protective measures against ocular trauma.

This is the kind of stuff we survived as kids..
[Linked Image]

I took one of those to the shoulder about age 9.
We used to hold onto firecrackers and see who could do it without flinching...those things hurt and probably account for the Reynauds in my hands as much as minor frostbite does.

I stuck an arrow into the aluminum siding of our new home. When dad got home I promptly reported my misdeed to him, he told me to bring my arrows to him and he broke everyone of them over his knee. His message was received loud and clear and I was much more careful in the future, grandpa bought me a dozen arrows before I got off the bus the next afternoon. Thank god grandma and grandpa lived next door because I always had a faithful friend in my grandpa. The good old days....
Originally Posted by 1minute
and shooting arrows straight up

When I acquired my first bow, a note on the box said something to the tune of "one can not shoot arrows straight up." In my mind, that sounded like a challenge and I instantly took it on. As the arrow disappeared from sight, I immediately questioned the wisdom of that action. I froze in place and the arrow landed 20 or 30 yds to one side never to be repeated.

As to the root question, experience is by far the best teacher. A description of an electric fence jolt simply does not cut it. One must have the experience.

To truly experience that Jolt one needs to urinate on said fence, brings your whole life into perspective...................:)

We lived, because we did not push things to that fatal edge. When the results hurt, we recognized that expanding the limits would only hurt more. So far though, I'd do it all over again.

Christmas night 1969, shot my sis in achillies tendon ( cool and prophetic hey?) with my new 25 lb Ben Pearson. Right thru her new white freakin "Go Go" boot! I got my ass beat down! LOL!!! Just getting even for her setting her diapered ass in my Texaco service station Christmas morning 1961!!
got shot in the chin with a ball bearing out of a wrist rocket, playing army.
The driveway of our elementary school had a long driveway that went around the building and connected the parking area on one side and a paved playground on the other. At the one corner of the building it made a swooping down hill left and back up hill. There was a grass back along that side we used to jump bikes off of all the time. No problems just good clean fun. The one problem occurred at night. The light at the corner of the building only shone to the crest of the hill. I was asked to jump first ,but I was only like 8 and too afraid. My brother was about 15 and wanted to show off to the neighbor girl. When he went off the jump there was an instant piercing screaming. The front wheel had come off his bike in the air. The forks dug in and he had a broken handle bar sticking out of his thigh. Bleed like hell. We got him home and it had missed all the major arteries and had stopped bleeding. My mother refused to take him to the hospital for being "Stupid" !!!!!!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by T LEE

Exactamundo! Hardly any home made pyrotechnics were mentioned...... whistle

Those were the days when you could buy saltpeter and sulphur from the local drug store for some homemade black powder laugh

We had a BIG swing in our back yard and we used to take turns being the "airplane" in the swing and an anti-aircraft gunner on the ground using dirt clods for "ammo". One day my younger brother (there were three of us little hellions) was the "airplane" when hit him in the stomach. At the exact moment he started to say "I don't like this gam...", I cut loose with a dirt clod and it went right down the gullet; no teeth, no lips, nothing but right down the throat!!! Of course I was laughing my butt off but that ended when he finally got all the dirt out of his mouth and started yelling, "I'm gonna tell Momma!" Ru roh," D

Another time we were swinging at a tether ball (remember the ball on a rope that was tied to the top of a pole) with baseball bats when the same unlucky brother happened to walk up behind me when I took a swing. WHACK! The bat caught him on the side of the head on the bone right below the temple. Fortunately, the bat was a carved souvenir bat made of some soft wood and it broke, but once again all the fun ended when he ran home yelling "I'm gonna tell Momma, I'm gonna tell Momma!" Lucky for me, my mother wasn't home at the time and the swelling had subsided somewhat by the time she got home. Whew! laugh
Remember making mud clods and sticking a Black Cat in them and having "wars" with hand grenades. Had a 22 cal pellet bounce off of a weathered, sawed off pecan tree limb and hit me right between the eyes. Those tree rings sure looked like a good target. Made a bomb by cutting open about 200 black cats with a razor blade (lucky to still have fingers) the blast broke my neighbors window. Also played the hold them till the lat second with firecrackers until one went off between my fingers - throbbed for 3 days. Remember "real" fireworks like TNTs. Parents would be jailed for child abuse for "allowing" such activities today.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Remember making mud clods and sticking a Black Cat in them and having "wars" with hand grenades. Had a 22 cal pellet bounce off of a weathered, sawed off pecan tree limb and hit me right between the eyes. Those tree rings sure looked like a good target. Made a bomb by cutting open about 200 black cats with a razor blade (lucky to still have fingers) the blast broke my neighbors window. Also played the hold them till the lat second with firecrackers until one went off between my fingers - throbbed for 3 days. Remember "real" fireworks like TNTs. Parents would be jailed for child abuse for "allowing" such activities today.

Oh yeah, the firecracker and mudball grenades!

REAL fireworks were the Cherry Bombs and the original M-80's. We used to buy them by the gross smile The neighbors weren't too happy around Christmas and New Years.
A TNT was a M-80 on steroids, fuse in the middle.
© 24hourcampfire