Home
Ok, enough is enough. I've had it with the whiny farmers on this forum.

Here is the straw that broke this camel's back;
Originally Posted by wabigoon
...and give an explanation in language an old hick farmer can understand??
I have heard the same scatological extrusions from gunner500 and a couple other farmers here.

Let's cut the bovine excrement and put an end to this farce.

If you're a farmer you're a veterinarian, a medic, a firefighter, an accountant, a salesman, a mechanic, a geologist, a pesticide expert, a heavy equipment operator, a weather forecaster, an animal behavior expert, a chemist, a metallurgist, a welder, plumber, electrician, lumberjack, carpenter, an agronomist, and a CAT SKINNER.

You can use hand tools and power tools, you can estimate weights and measures by eyeballing things, you know where to find the best prices for both buying and selling.

You know who to call when you run into something you are not equipped to handle, you are an expert in physics and geometry when trying to get a tractor unstuck or drop a tree without taking out a fence or power-line.

You can remain calm around spooked livestock, you can solve problems with the tools and parts you have around and not buy everything new, you know every inch of your place and what is where, and you can spot a sick critter or diseased plants from the seat of your truck at 45mph while talking on the phone and drinking coffee without wearing it.

You use GPS, cellphones, computers, and can keep up with maintenance schedules for every piece of equipment you use.

You know the value of life and the finality of death. You celebrate new life, be it sprouting plants or a newborn critter, and you share the fruits of your labors generously.

So, cut out the whining about "just being a simple farmer'!

Rant off.

Ed
HEAR, HEAR!!!
OK Ed, what about us dumazz cowboys?
Don't tell me - I'd be offended! smile

(Bein's bein' a "cowboy" seems to be a very bad thing, anymore)
I come from farming, homesteading, sheep-herding stock. I have an IQ of 149. Yeah, stupid-ass farmers, way back in my line.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
OK Ed, what about us dumazz cowboys?
Don't tell me - I'd be offended! smile

(Bein's bein' a "cowboy" seems to be a very bad thing, anymore)

Ranchers are just farmers who raise livestock and not plants. You'll get no mercy from me, either, ya dumbass cowboy!!

Quit yer whinin'!

Ed
You left out bullshït artist, no pun intended.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I come from farming, homesteading, sheep-herding stock. I have an IQ of 149. Yeah, stupid-ass farmers, way back in my line.

See!?!? I got a witness!

Ed
Originally Posted by kingston
You left out bullshït artist, no pun intended.

That's part of their nature, not a learned skill, so I left it out.

Ed
Dumazz cowboys are lazy and do not know crap. The horse has all the brains and does all the work. But I did not say that.
Fair enough.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

See!?!? I got a witness!

Ed

Yup, I can ver-E-fy, Ed.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Dumazz cowboys are lazy and do not know crap. The horse has all the brains and does all the work. But I did not say that.

I ride a horse 'cause ONE of this team gots ta have some sense!

I've also got mucho experience with male bovine excrement - therefore AM a Bullsh!t artist!
I'm a forester and trees are basically like corn but with a really long growing season. Anti-farm advocates are every bit as rabid and weird (and dangerous) as anti-gunners and this self-perpetuating stereotype of the simple hick farmer/rancher/whatever just plays into their hands trying to paint us as being unfit to reasonably utilize the land without destroying the universe.
Why Ed, I am hurt, sniff, sniff. Before I saw it was you that started this thread, I was going to tell the poster to, try farming for 20, 30, 40, 50 years, and check back. As we are good friends. I won't. Carry on!

Not your typical "call out" thread . . . shocked
yes, Muskeg, our good friend is not a nasty sort.
In my experience, the difference between a farmer and a rancher is akin to the difference between a doctor and a lawyer.

In general, I like lawyers but doctors tend to be an odd lot. I like ranchers, farmers tend to be an odd lot.

Yup, and they're physically out of shape 'cause it doesn't require any effort to ride that smart horse over a meadow, much less rough terrain, throw a loop, tack up, clean tack, rub down a horse, clean their feet, saddle up and dismount.

They also can sleep in the saddle cause they don't have to keep an eye out for problems, watch for sidehills, uphills or downhills, gopher or badger holes, pay attention to the horses' gait and where his ears are pointed, be concerned about a barn sour or herd-bound horse, ornery cows, rattlesnakes, or sudden changes in the weather.

They don't have to know about the signs of colic, lameness, or respiratory problems. They don't have to be concerned about livestock parasites, feed and water requirements, skin problems or hoof problems.

That's just the short list. I'm too tired to list 'em all, but you get the idea...darned worthless, lazy, good fer nuthin', know nuthin' cowboys... ought-ta be a law...

Ed
Originally Posted by Nathan_McGhee
I'm a forester and trees are basically like corn but with a really long growing season. Anti-farm advocates are every bit as rabid and weird (and dangerous) as anti-gunners and this self-perpetuating stereotype of the simple hick farmer/rancher/whatever just plays into their hands trying to paint us as being unfit to reasonably utilize the land without destroying the universe.

Aren't they usually the same people?

NYH1.
I like the word 'meadow'.
Why Ed, I am hurt, sniff, sniff. Before I saw it was you that started this thread, I was going to tell the poster to, try farming for 20, 30, 40, 50 years, and check back. As we are good friends. I won't. Carry on!

Yer a farmer, yer feelers got ruin't a long time ago. Stop with the whiny farmer stuff, dammit!

Good grief, whining on a no-whining thread!

Ed

grin
One of the hardest working guys that I've ever known ran a dairy.

I'm trying out a new, kinder, more sensitive approach to my writing. How am I doing?

Ed

I have heard the same scatological extrusions from gunner500 and a couple other farmers here.

If you're a farmer you're a veterinarian, a medic, a firefighter, an accountant, a salesman, a mechanic, a geologist, a pesticide expert, a heavy equipment operator, a weather forecaster, an animal behavior expert, a chemist, a metallurgist, a welder, plumber, electrician, lumberjack, carpenter, and an agronomist.

You can use hand tools and power tools, you can estimate weights and measures by eyeballing things, you know where to find the best prices for both buying and selling.

You know who to call when you run into something you are not equipped to handle, you are an expert in physics and geometry when trying to get a tractor unstuck or drop a tree without taking out a fence or power-line.

You can remain calm around spooked livestock, you can solve problems with the tools and parts you have around and not buy everything new, you know every inch of your place and what is where, and you can spot a sick critter or diseased plants from the seat of your truck at 45mph while talking on the phone and drinking coffee without wearing it.

You use GPS, cellphones, computers, and can keep up with maintenance schedules for every piece of equipment you use.

You know the value of life and the finality of death. You celebrate new life, be it sprouting plants or a newborn critter, and you share the fruits of your labors generously.

Rant off.

Ed

You left out "Sexual surrogate " wink (j/k)
Masters at finding tax write offs too.

Ed
Originally Posted by kellory
...You left out "Sexual surrogate " wink (j/k)

So THAT'S what Little Johhny meant when he said that his Dad was going to go breed the cows today! eek shocked grin

Ed
Originally Posted by viking

Yup! Figured that might fall into the accountant title. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by viking

Yup! Figured that might fall into the accountant title. grin

Ed

And poor-mouthing.

I'm trying out a new, kinder, more sensitive approach to my writing. How am I doing?

Ed

This particular bit of diction is a splendid start.
...And poor-mouthing.

And whining, hence the thread. Will it ever end?

Ed
Please note, in my inflammatory post, I did call myself old. Some folks only respect old age in a bottle. But. I digress.
Digressing might be taken for whining, just sayin'...

Besides, I respect my elders AND my betters. Had my butt kicked too many times to not respect them!

Ed
I've always liked old bottles.
Wow! Ed I'm runnin' out of soft soap to post. I need a good night's sleep. Call any time. Yours whinyly Wabigoon/Richard.
I will whine a bit.....

I clicked on here with my shoulders back and my hair up.....only to leave very confused.
Every rancher is a framer and every framer is a rancher. I never seen a ranch without a garden and I never seen a farm that did not have ranch animals.
What are ranch animals? Are they different from farm animals?
Ranch animals come from the Hidden Valley.......
I am quite pleased with myself.

I got the brakes set on the D8K yesterday. Got a bunch of dirt work to do this fall.

So youse guys can add Cat Skinner to the list in the OP!
I had no Idea Ganja was so talented and diverse...

learn something new every day...
Ranch animals are cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, and horses. Farm animals are chickens, ducks, geese, and rabbits. Or any combination found on the land.
Ranch animals are cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, and horses. Farm animals are chickens, ducks, geese, and rabbits. Or any combination found on the land.

Most of the farmers around here farm the stuff that isn't too steep and raise cattle in the steep drainages....
They call em Franch animals.....

PS...Pigs are definitely farm animals.
Thinking about it some, I guess the only animal that comes to mind when I think of a "ranch" is cattle.

Try saying "goat rancher"..........See? Doesn't work. Neither does "pig rancher".

Horse rancher? Nyet. Sheep rancher maybe.........ranchers get lonely too.

Buffalo rancher? NFG!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thinking about it some, I guess the only animal that comes to mind when I think of a "ranch" is cattle.

Try saying "goat rancher"..........See? Doesn't work. Neither does "pig rancher".

Buffalo rancher? NFG!

Bunny Ranch?
Yes....I have heard of those......

I reckon a field trip is in order. You know, for science.
Yes....I have heard of those......

I reckon a field trip is in order. You know, for science.

A guy could could live a good life Bunny Ranchin’.....probably not conducive to a good marriage though.

It is the the old McDonald song. EIO EIO
I've always drew the line of farmer/rancher as: Farmers will bring feed to the cattle, Ranchers will move the cattle to feed.
Farmers are the ones stockpiling hay to feed the herd behind the house for 100 days of winter.
Ranchers are making use of BLM land.
I farm, I'm old, and I don't call what I do whining, I call it bitching.

I feel like I've lived long enough to deserve the right to bitch about stuff.
At what point, is it whining, about whining about, yes, you guessed it, whining? Something like that at least.
It is whining when the difference is only move or bring.
Ranch animals come from the Hidden Valley.......

I find it awfully suspicious that ranch animals and salad dressing come from the same place.
I am quite pleased with myself.

I got the brakes set on the D8K yesterday. Got a bunch of dirt work to do this fall.

So youse guys can add Cat Skinner to the list in the OP!

Those K's are the last of the real D8's.

Bullshït!
Well it depends on whether you ranch or farm. I find most do both.
IB that's awesome!
Wasn't there a guy on here who claimed to have grape ranch?
Ya think farmers are whiners ,? You should talk to the plumbers. They cry every time a stud is in the way, everything is wrong , and they tell us how hard their life is while they are making $100 per hour.
So, a grape ranch would be, whineing? (Trying to think of a joke here, please wait), ( wait more), -- maybe later?
Originally Posted by ihookem
Ya think farmers are whiners ,? You should talk to the plumbers. They cry every time a stud is in the way, everything is wrong , and they tell us how hard their life is while they are making $100 per hour.

That's the truth!

Hardest part is roping them for the branding....
I'd think grape ranching would be a vine way to make a living.

If you're a farmer you're a veterinarian, a medic, a firefighter, an accountant, a salesman, a mechanic, a geologist, a pesticide expert, a heavy equipment operator, a weather forecaster, an animal behavior expert, a chemist, a metallurgist, a welder, plumber, electrician, lumberjack, carpenter, and an agronomist.

Rant off.

Ed

LOL, i resemble a lot of that. blush
At what point, is it whining, about whining about, yes, you guessed it, whining? Something like that at least.

I'm only on my second cup of coffee and that post made my head hurt. Is that whining?

Ed
Farmers are a smart lot, They say their dumb 'cause if'n folks actually knew they was smart and what they could do they'd always be at the neighbors house fix'n and doin' instead of farmin'.

They ain't foolin' me, my Grandpa was a farmer so's I know.
I'm still trying to figure out just what, "scatological" means? Some sort of code talk?

Rant off.

Ed

You left out "Sexual surrogate " wink (j/k)

Yeah, even to the point of visiting a clinic and making a big deposit for a sterile bud and his wife, then getting "it's a boy postcards" in the mail four times over the next six years, I'll tell ya, a farmers work is never done. wink
I'm still trying to figure out just what, "scatological" means? Some sort of code talk?

The fertilizer slung on the side of the barn was mistakenly scatologically deposited by driving too close to the barn ;]
I will whine a bit.....

I clicked on here with my shoulders back and my hair up.....only to leave very confused.

That's the whole purpose, Jim. grin

I figured I might get a rise outta you, Gunner, Wabigoon, SamO, and a few other farmers, and maybe ranchers.

Steelhead's post about dairy farmers is spot on, they have the best of both worlds. grin

It was just my way of acknowledging the skills, talents, knowledge, abilities, and strengths of farmers.

No job, that I'm aware of, it as complex and demanding as farming/ ranching, and then, after all your efforts, you're still at the mercy of Nature.

My hat's off to you folks.

Now, quit yer whinin' and bitchin' about being "just a farmer/rancher". grin

Ed
LOL, it's a simple life that the most simple minded need apply. smile

How'm I doing so far? ;]

I don't know about that, but I have some neighbors that bought an acre of land, and call it a farm.

I guess whatever trips your trigger.
Originally Posted by gunner500

How'm I doing so far? ;]

You're so full of scheit that if you farted, 50 acres wouldn't need fertilizing for the next five years! grin

Ed
This city slicker traveling salesman was driving his model A Ford down a dirt road, lost. he sees a hillbilly farmer plowing with a mule. The salesman stops the farmer, and asks directions to several towns. The farmer keeps telling the salesman he don't know . Angry, and exasperated, the salesman says, "You don't know much, do you"? Farmer, "I know one thing". salesman, "What's that"? "I ain't lost"

How'm I doing so far? ;]

You're so full of scheit that if you farted, 50 acres wouldn't need fertilizing for the next five years! grin

Ed

Have shart, will spread it. cool laugh
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Buffalo rancher? NFG!

Bunny Ranch?

Live 7 Miles from said ranch. Stop by and say hi!

If you're a farmer you're a veterinarian, a medic, a firefighter, an accountant, a salesman, a mechanic, a geologist, a pesticide expert, a heavy equipment operator, a weather forecaster, an animal behavior expert, a chemist, a metallurgist, a welder, plumber, electrician, lumberjack, carpenter, an agronomist, and a CAT SKINNER.

Rant off.

Ed

That's the job description, but they'll hire just about anyone.....

How'm I doing so far? ;]

I admit to my friends that the pay sucks -

but, man, is the cubicle pretty! smile smile smile
APDDSN0864 ,
you really know how to insult a person. if i'm ever feeling down, maybe you could throw an insult or two, my way !
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
APDDSN0864 ,
you really know how to insult a person. if i'm ever feeling down, maybe you could throw an insult or two, my way !

Be careful of what you ask for! I'm an equal opportunity shot-taker! grin

Rule #1, NEVER pass up a cheap shot! laugh

Ed

Rant off.

Ed

You are dead wrong. I am a crummy welder.
Originally Posted by windridge
...You are dead wrong. I am a crummy welder.

With all due respect, sir, I never mentioned how good anyone was at those tasks, just that they did them.

Until I get to know you personally, I will refrain from criticizing any crummy welding you do. grin

Ed

How'm I doing so far? ;]

LOL, Ed does have a point, I've heard old farmers at the feed store complaining about their finances, then you look up to see them driving a brand new $75K 1 ton then notice a half million dollars worth of green paint being delivered out to their farms, boy howdy, just don't know how those poor guys are gonna make it! grin
Add "Truck driver" to the list!

Just got home from planting oats, and drove everything I needed to do that with 200 miles and back.

Need a nap! smile
Among other things, the dairy farmer I worked for as a teenager in the 70's could keep in his head the data for 300+ cows from the cooperative extension which came a few times a year in the form of a 4-inch stack of that old, green lined, tractor feed ledger paper. E.g A14 needed X lbs of X mineral, C-22 needed X scoops of cracked corn, B7 needed this, D30 needed that. It was crazy. I don't know how he did it.
I just got home from planting oats too.
Originally Posted by hanco

It sounds better if you say...”I just got home from sowing my oats”. 😉
You forgot gambler.

Those sprouted (or not) long ago... laugh

Don't start that chit again!

and, do not "invoke"!
wink

With all due respect, sir, I never mentioned how good anyone was at those tasks, just that they did them.

Until I get to know you personally, I will refrain from criticizing any crummy welding you do. grin

Ed

Does this refer to being a bad welder or welding on the crummy?
smile

wild oats wink

Hardest part is roping them for the branding....

It's the pits.
Welders are retards. My best friend is a welder by trade and the general superintendent on of a large construction company that builds refineries. He is retarded. Generally speaking.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Welders are retards. My best friend is a welder by trade and the general superintendent on of a large construction company that builds refineries. He is retarded. Generally speaking.

but he's a hell of a fisherman and bird shooter.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ed

Does this refer to being a bad welder or welding on the crummy?
smile

I have three crummy tractors, two really crummy balers, a crummy swather, three crummy trucks and one good one, a crummy drill, a disc that is beyond crummy, and rent my crummy neighbor's crummy combine sometimes.

I mostly use JB Weld.

Side Note
I tried to braze scope mount bases on to my 340 Savage, but JB Weld doesn't come in that color.

How'm I doing so far? ;]

LOL, Ed does have a point, I've heard old farmers at the feed store complaining about their finances, then you look up to see them driving a brand new $75K 1 ton then notice a half million dollars worth of green paint being delivered out to their farms, boy howdy, just don't know how those poor guys are gonna make it! grin
Those "old farmers" have their places paid off! (No interest)

This "old rancher" is still making payments - (late start) smile
Interest WILL eat your azz up!
Better than in the early 80's Mark.
I could weld your hands to your a$$ if you could stand the heat.
What rod would you use for that Jim?
Better than in the early 80's Mark.

True -but like many -
I'm "well to do" on paper -
but, cash-poor! smile

Oh well, the kids should have a good start! smile
Live poor, die rich Mark, that's what farmers do.

Low Hydrogen! I dont know why they make other rods........
7018? Do you keep them dry? I'm told the flux can take on H2O, then they are no longer low hydrogen?
Yes, I guess that is correct.

For something really important, I open a fresh bag. I dont have a rod oven.

Some of the low hydrogen rods are moisture resistant....apparently.
7018? Do you keep them dry? I'm told the flux can take on H2O, then they are no longer low hydrogen?

I've started using the AC version - burns rusty/dirty steel almost like 6011. Not sure how moisture affects the AC version, but I've baked quite a bit of regular 7018 over the years.

Problem with welding body parts seems to be getting a good ground! smile
They make a ground adapter......but its not for showing in polite company!
Well Jim, I'll say, the 'fire? Polite??? That must be longg before my time. Thanks for being one of the good guys that make the joint worth while.

coat hangers
I mostly use JB Weld.

Side Note
I tried to braze scope mount bases on to my 340 Savage, but JB Weld doesn't come in that color.

Spray paint.

coat hangers

That plastic melts pretty quick though!

Rant off.

Ed
Good post...

Now, to be fair, I've known a few farmers very early on (say, '50s) that could fit the original description.. But today's farmer is NOTHING like those of old. The son of the farm family I work for part-time is one of the smartest farmers I've ever encountered. The family works about 2,000 acres; all corn and alfalfa, and the machinery used, + the dairy operation is as advanced as anything on the market. The CLAAS 940 I run can load 38,000# of sileage in a wagon every 6 minutes. The machine keeps track of each load, tons/acre, moisture percentage, etc.,,,,not to mention the internal operations of the machine itself. The push of two buttons begins the operation of sharpening the knives, then setting the cutter bar. It keeps track of its own maintenance. The GPS unit inside also maps the various fields for yield and the info's downloaded to another unit for fertilizer application and weed spraying percentages.. They have nearly 30 full-time employees and milk 1300 cows every 8 hours around the clock.

When I started at this farm in '98, Tom was just a 10-yr-old kid.. He graduated from HS with a 4.0 GPA, went to the UW-Madison and graduated with, again, a 4.0 GPA and now he's my boss.. I rarely question or suggest anything he wants us to do. He knows 100X what I do about farming - and I grew UP on 'em..

I could go on and on - but I won't.
Just quickly on the 7018 rods, I've been told, course I get told some whoppers, the moister in the flux boils off as steam, and you get tiny holes in the weld bead? That is when the rod takes on some water.

Back to havin' fun now.

A high IQ doesn’t mean you’re SMART! With that IQ you should have figured that out!!
I think my IQ must be in brackets, like the bookkeepers do with a loss, "[55]"?
Thanks for the tech support.
© 24hourcampfire