Home
We all have some gag gifts, but what completely wrong gifts have you gotten from people who think they nailed it?
I got a pair of electric socks once.
Gave my oldest son a "stocking stuffer" a stuffed toy that's a brown lump by the name of "poop" with a note that he could never say that we didn't give him s__t for Christmas. grin
I have a few friends who don't know anything about hunting and they try to give me hunting gear. First, I don't need any, and second since they know nothing about hunting it's not stuff that I'll ever use.

I appreciate the thought, but it's kind of comical. Right before a backpack sheep hunt, I received a big old fixed blade knife that weighed 2-3 lbs. Would've made Jim Bowie proud.
Mother in Law gave me a cook book one Christmas. Gave me some Meryl Streep movie another Christmas.....Good Lord...
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have a few friends who don't know anything about hunting and they try to give me hunting gear. First, I don't need any, and second since they know nothing about hunting it's not stuff that I'll ever use.

I appreciate the thought, but it's kind of comical. Right before a backpack sheep hunt, I received a big old fixed blade knife that weighed 2-3 lbs. Would've made Jim Bowie proud.

Betcha got a butt-out tool too right?
I received a Billy Bass.
I learned the hard way Christmas Eve that "One Size" is a brand of lingerie and not "one size fits all". Just fair warning but your evening plans can change pretty quickly once you realize that you bought the new nightie 3 sizes too big
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I learned the hard way Christmas Eve that "One Size" is a brand of lingerie and not "one size fits all". Just fair warning but your evening plans can change pretty quickly once you realize that you bought the new nightie 3 sizes too big

laugh

Ooopps!
I few years back my SIL gave me one of those BUTT OUT tools, not sure were it ended up but it was never used. After the holidays that year my wife told her family we were getting too old to exchange gifts so no more butt tools smile
It's bound to happen eventually. Some nice person will hear I like good whiskey and give me a bottle of something Canadian. Oops! grin
Wife's Uncle does, in fact, deer hunt (though it's been several years since I've been with him). One Christmas, he gave me a butt-out tool. He claims to use his to good effect, but...........I dunno, I think maybe I won't use it if for no other reason than I don't want to use anything on a deer that I don't want used on me, or something weird like that.

When I was 19, my Grandmother bought me a 6" Buck Special. It's too long, too big, and too heavy, but it will hold a frighteningly sharp edge, so, it stays in my pack and I use it. Probably always will.
I got 2 good riflescopes, a cordura carryon bag, an elk salami and a great bottle of spiced rum this year. No complaints
Best to give a gift card
i got a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. i read that its pretty decent. but the chance of me actually cracking the bottle and drinking any are slim to none. on the rare occasion i drink booze, it ain't bourbon or anything remotely resembling it. been there, done that, got the stupid prizes.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i got a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. i read that its pretty decent. but the chance of me actually cracking the bottle and drinking any are slim to none. on the rare occasion i drink booze, it ain't bourbon or anything remotely resembling it. been there, done that, got the stupid prizes.

You don't have to drink the whole bottle at one sitting. Pour a shot or two into a tumbler, sit in a comfy seat, pick up a good book, take an occasional sip.

Had bad experiences every time I had whisky in my 20's, so didn't touch the stuff of understand the appeal. In my late 40's I decided to see what all the hullabaloo was about. Turns out your tastes change as you age and sipping from a tumbler is much more civilized than pounding it down in a shot glass.
We usually go to the wife's Uncle's on Christmas night for dessert and general chatting. He usually gives me some token gift, like a flashlight or something. A couple years ago he gave me a "Country Music's Greatest Hits" CD. ANYBODY that KNOWS me knows I'm a devout metal head who'd rather listen to cats fu^cking than country music. I think I ended up shooting it. Then another year he gave me a University of S.C. shirt when I've been a lifelong Clemson fan. Of well, it's the thought that counts....
Originally Posted by mathman
It's bound to happen eventually. Some nice person will hear I like good whiskey and give me a bottle of something Canadian. Oops! grin

Could have been worse - could have got a bottle of bourbon!!

I got an red Elmer Fudd cap one year from my sister in law. I'm not sure if she really thought I'd use it or if it was an anti hunting statement.
Originally Posted by mathman

I feel your pain.

My dear sweet sister bought me a box of Irish whiskey caramels for Christmas. She also bought a the usual bottle of JD so what the hell....

Don't get me wrong, I love JD and the like but Irish whiskey?! Pass.

Been a few years though, maybe it's gotten better.....
Drink the Irish whiskey after drinking a fair amount of JD and it may improve the experience.
If you need a gift for a weight lifter, get him a T-shirt. If it's too big, he'll be happy that you thought he's bigger than he is. If it's too small, he'll be happy that he's bigger than you thought. It works every time.
That sweet wife of mine thought I needed a pair of pull on boots for just going out to tend my dog or shovel the walk or whatever...she knows I like stuff from Schnees, so that’s what they are.
Woohoo.
Gift exchanges when you work with mostly women can be interesting. One time I got a pair of ear muffs with little animal heads on them.
Originally Posted by ringworm
We all have some gag gifts, but what completely wrong gifts have you gotten from people who think they nailed it?
I got a pair of electric socks once.

Uh, I could use those, uh, for cold days on stand, you know. smile

Yeah, and probably Chinese with a compass on the end of the handle. Mine had some nice fish hooks in the handle.
I saw this and immediately thought of Fireball2’s wife.

[Linked Image]
I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

No mom, I can't wear size XL.

Over the years I've amassed a pretty respectable wardrobe, too bad none of it fits.
Originally Posted by kingston
I saw this and immediately thought of Fireball2’s wife.

[Linked Image]

Oh my.
Bump
I got a shotgun toilet plunger one year, with sound effects and all. I've had a roll of camo toilet paper someone gave me for several years, just never broke the wrapper.
I got a roll of toilet paper with Hillary Clintons face on every sheet, dang stuff chaps my azz as much as she does
Originally Posted by blanket
I got a roll of toilet paper with Hillary Clintons face on every sheet, dang stuff chaps my azz as much as she does

She's not worthy. LOL
Long time ago I got a "lighted" ice scraper from my sister.
Bump for Roy
My dingbat mother in law from h3ll gave me one of those gizmos you set on top of a piano to keep you in time while your playing-I think it's called a metronome or some such ridiculous thing. I don't play any instruments. None. Crazy old coot!
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My dingbat mother in law from h3ll gave me one of those gizmos you set on top of a piano to keep you in time while your playing-I think it's called a metronome or some such ridiculous thing. I don't play any instruments. None. Crazy old coot!

That’s funny!
It was probably left over after getting rid of her piano 20 years ago. She needed room in her closet for a ceramic cat in a pilgrim outfit and something had to go.
Great plan is to give the girlfriend/wife a wish list of books you would like, to be shared with her family. Inexpensive but great gift and helps keep everyone happy. You can honestly say it was just what you wanted.

bingo, you nailed it smokepole

I've got em all broke of the habit now, but my dear wife and my dear mother used to try and buy me hunting gear. I know from when I used to hang out in the backpackin thread that you're a hard core hunter yourself smokepole so you get it.

If it ain't exactly what I want (and most often that reads expensive, dang the bad luck) then I don't want it at all, feel bad about getting rid of it, so it's just in the way of all the gear I actually do use.

Only person that can really get you hunting stuff is someone that hunts with you or like you. Hell even my dad used to try and finally figured out, just give me a few bucks and I'll put it towards what I want and tell everyone you got it for me.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by gophergunner

That’s funny!

hmmm you never know could be that the wife let something slip and she was just trying to give you something to keep time with in the boudoir (really doubt that's spelled right, for you non frenchman)

oh and just kiddin gophergunner, but it is funny as hell you got one of those.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

Over the years I've amassed a pretty respectable wardrobe, too bad none of it fits.

most of my life 6'1" and 205 and I mucho prefer size 2xl in shirts. I often wonder where the hell do the big ole boys I see get clothes? AK tent and tarp
A 2ft tall garden gnome to watch over the cactus.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

most of my life 6'1" and 205 and I mucho prefer size 2xl in shirts. I often wonder where the hell do the big ole boys I see get clothes? AK tent and tarp

As more and more clothing is made overseas, even my 6',205 won't fit into large, tall sizes.
Originally Posted by kingston
Bump for Roy

Thanks kingston. Enjoy your circle jerk.

[Linked Image]
I got a carriage clock at retirement---Duh, I don't need to be on time anymore. Put it back in the box and gave it to Goodwill. What were they thinking?
I always ask for blue jeans
© 24hourcampfire