Home
There was a thread recently about best caliber for a raging pit
But it was suggested you may not have time etc

I understand you have to do what you have to do
But if you could have a direction how do you neutralize/defend from a pit or something aggressive like that barehanded?

I once told my step daughter before she set out on a road trip remember everything is a weapon
I could tell this made her think
but I could see walking down a street and before you know it they are in pursuit

Hank
Pick it up and body slam it. Use my 210 lbs to my advantage. You could win but you will suffer some damage.
Feet and hands are also effective against dogs. I've had to kick or punch a few unfriendly canines. Was attacked on the way to school when I was 8, and learned that morning that the only way to deal with an aggressive dog is intelligent aggression. I don't know what to say to soft-handed women, but to men, I advocate a jab to the nose on an attacking dog, followed by whatever barrage of kicks and punches you can connect with. Go for the head.
If the things lunging feed it your weak arm, grab it and dont let go, take it to the ground and try to crush it's ribcage/head with your knees.
First, never leave home without carrying a reliable firearm. Take them on like they'll kill you, because they will. Go all out death squad on them. Do whatever seems right at the time to destroy them. Take their eyes out, stomp them wherever you can and do the most damage, if you can get them by a foot swing them into the ground until they are dead. Don't let them take you down.If you're armed shoot them in the head until they quit moving. If you're not armed pick up whatever you can to use for a weapon. If the owner gets in your way, kill him too, then finish off the dog.
I don't know. But Pits have pretty impressive strength.

When my pup weighed about 50 lbs he was wrestling around with a Pit pup that *might* have weighed 35. They weren't angry,...just wrestling around like pups will do. My Lab is fairly strong and has always been rambunctious. He likes to play and wrestle hard. But that little Pit grabbed his collar, pulled him down and was dragging him around by it. My pup couldn't get loose. I eventually had to step in and break it up. Like I said, they were just playing,...but it was an impressive display of strength from a dog that size.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit. Mike Tyson.

If a pitbull gets ahold of you, you have a very serious problem.
Assuming you are unarmed and the attack is eminent, give it your support hand/arm and drive your closed fist down on the bridge of it's nose as hard and as often as you can. A dog's nose is extremely sensitive. I've stunned scores of trapped coyotes with a sharp rap to the bridge of the nose with a shovel handle. It's surprising how little force it takes to stun one. I don't know if a pit nose would be as sensitive as coyote's but it would be my course of action if unarmed and unable to avoid the attack.
In my own encounter the pit was not much influenced by any physical engagement..
What worked for me was strong verbal commands - ordinary commands that dogs are accustomed to obeying.
I was armed and thankful not to have to shoot it.
Not going with any experience here, but if an encounter is inevitable, I suggest being the one that gets in the first blow making it as hard and effective as possible. One has probably lost at least one of his tools if it already has a grip on you. I live in lumber jack boots, so I'm inclined to go for a serious kick. Several of the early morning walkers in our neighborhood pack a very stout stick while getting their exercise.

I'd guess it takes a very calm mind to organize a defense when one is already involved in a tug of war. I usually have at least 2 knives on my person, but they're only accessible to the right hand. The advice to feed them the off side arm if one has to go to ground seems quite sound as well.

Fortunately we're in a small town conservative environment, and it's extremely rare to see a free roaming dog of any size.
I think the title should read, hand to hand with a short bred cur dog. This loose use of pit-bull moniker at every turn is laughable...what you are doing is assuming all bully bred dogs are Pit-bulls...sorry dog men rarely bred people aggressive dogs. What you have today are Cur dogs with lots of stuff in them.

TNrifleman says it best above.

To give you something useful, if the attack is eminent sacrifice your weak arm and do all you can to kill the dog with your other appendages. If they are a hold of you, you will have little power to hurt them by striking...best to choke them.
If it does take you down and you are unarmed, shove your fist down it's throat as far as you can.
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
You could win but you will suffer some damage.

Bottom line right there.

Better bring a gun. Don't ever let the dog get ahead of the curve regarding drawing / shooting time.

Bear spray might work. I'd rather try that than just accept losing an arm. frown

Tom
Originally Posted by 1minute
Not going with any experience here, but if an encounter is inevitable, I suggest being the one that gets in the first blow making it as hard and effective as possible. One has probably lost at least one of his tools if it already has a grip on you. I live in lumber jack boots, so I'm inclined to go for a serious kick. Several of the early morning walkers in our neighborhood pack a very stout stick while getting their exercise.

I'd guess it takes a very calm mind to organize a defense when one is already involved in a tug of war.

Put a tip on that walking stick:

[Linked Image]

"Combative Anatomy: How to fight a dog

August 9, 2012"

https://exigentcircumstance.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/combative-anatomy-how-to-fight-a-dog/
Saw this in a book on "100 Survival Situations" when I was a Boy Scout. This is supposed to work on any dog.

Give it your weak forearm, or I suppose whichever forearm is closest to the dog, and drive it forward as much as possible into the dog's mouth. Reach over with the other hand and place it on the neck behind the dog's head. Pulling with the hand and pushing with the forearm lift the dog's head straight up and over and snap its neck. Dogs have strong neck muscles to hold prey that is struggling to get away but have no real strength to keep their heads down. Like alligators where you can't stop it from closing its mouth but once closed you can hold it shut with one hand. A dog can't stop even a child (as I will explain) from lifting its head against those weakest muscles.

If you have your wits about you supposedly you can kill any dog in about one second, at least preferably before the dog crushes your forearm. Shoving the arm deep into the dog's mouth is not what it expects and will begin to choke them, it also gets your arm into the chewing teeth and away from the tearing teeth. Even this action alone will sometimes get a dog to let go.

Whether this works in practice I do not know for a fact, but being a kid I tried it on our Australian shepherd mutt who was definitely hard mouthed.

A. She did not like that arm shoved back into her mouth at all and what was a fun tussle turned into panic for her.
B. Lifting her head up more than a few degrees caused her to yelp in pain at which point I stopped, not wanting to really hurt her. I really did like her but was curious.

The big deal in all this is you have to make up your mind to kill immediately and do it fast before the dog tears up your arm and the rest of you.

All in all I'd rather have a big stick since you'd probably still suffer painful injuries, but the question was about mano a canus combat.
Make sure you stay on your feet.
Let him clamp down on your week arm then reach for your knife clipped to your pocket( hopefully it is assisted opening) and slit throat and then go to stabbing.
Keep it away from your vitals and do the best you can. Best plan is to be prepared before the attack by carrying a gun everywhere you go. if you can't carry a gun carry a big heavy stick,even if you have to fake a limp.
A NAA .22 mag mini revolver doesn't take up any more room than a medium sized pocket knife. I can't hit a bull in the ass at 10 feet with mine. But I bet a dog would let go of you if you stuck it in his ear and touched it off.
I have no idea if the following method has been tested or is effective but:

If attack is immanent drop down low enough to prevent the dog from grabbing your legs/crotch area and give the dog your offhand forearm. On impact shove your forearm as far back in the mouth as possible to open up the jaws while wrapping strong side forearm around the back of the dogs head and below the skull. Push and rotate out with weak forearm(in dogs mouth) and pull and rotate toward your chest with strong side arm. The idea is to strain/dislocate/break the neck so the dog either gives up or dies. Keep in mind you're doing this while the dog is thrashing on your arm trying to rip it off. A lot can go wrong, but if its all you got, give it everything you have.

Looks like I was late to the party. Jim in Idaho beat me to it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO

If attack is immanent drop down low enough to prevent the dog from grabbing your legs/crotch area and give the dog your offhand forearm. On impact shove your forearm as far back in the mouth as possible to open up the jaws while wrapping strong side forearm around the back of the dogs head and below the skull. Push and rotate out with weak forearm(in dogs mouth) and pull and rotate toward your chest with strong side arm. The idea is to strain/dislocate/break the neck so the dog either gives up or dies. Keep in mind you're doing this while the dog is thrashing on your arm trying to rip it off. A lot can go wrong, but if its all you got, give it everything you have.

See above.
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
Let him clamp down on your week arm then reach for your knife clipped to your pocket( hopefully it is assisted opening) and slit throat and then go to stabbing.

This is how my Uncle put down a Pit that had latched onto his Brittany he was walking. Stabbing and slashing neck, chest groin.

Dog unlatched and bled out right there. CRKT with thumb assist.
Originally Posted by RickyD
First, never leave home without carrying a reliable firearm. Take them on like they'll kill you, because they will. Go all out death squad on them. Do whatever seems right at the time to destroy them. Take their eyes out, stomp them wherever you can and do the most damage, if you can get them by a foot swing them into the ground until they are dead. Don't let them take you down.If you're armed shoot them in the head until they quit moving. If you're not armed pick up whatever you can to use for a weapon. If the owner gets in your way, kill him too, then finish off the dog.

definative answer
Originally Posted by Brazos
If it does take you down and you are unarmed, shove your fist down it's throat as far as you can.

That was Dad's advice, he'd seen it work. But I've never had the pleasure.
Originally Posted by gunner500
If the things lunging feed it your weak arm, grab it and dont let go, take it to the ground and try to crush it's ribcage/head with your knees.

this is what i did.except i grabbed him by the bottom jaw so i would have leverage to force him to the ground.
Originally Posted by Gansettx
I think the title should read, hand to hand with a short bred cur dog. This loose use of pit-bull moniker at every turn is laughable...what you are doing is assuming all bully bred dogs are Pit-bulls...sorry dog men rarely bred people aggressive dogs. What you have today are Cur dogs with lots of stuff in them.

TNrifleman says it best above.

To give you something useful, if the attack is eminent sacrifice your weak arm and do all you can to kill the dog with your other appendages. If they are a hold of you, you will have little power to hurt them by striking...best to choke them.

and this once you pin them down.
In response to some of the suggestions, Pits are not that small, and are ALL muscle. They are heavy, strong, and very hard to handle - plus they don't react to pain as much as some dogs might. If you "feed" a pit an arm, you may very well not get that arm back - or the blood lost during that tactic. ONE of the things that makes Pits so dangerous is an almost complete lack of fear of anything. Would be best not to "fight" one with your bare hands! Also best not to get between a pit and things he is tasked with protecting, as they are VERY protective by nature. I had a Pit that was among the "best" dogs I've ever owned, but I still had to be aware of his natural tendencies - among which was that he would have laid down his life for me, if necessary.

Mike Holmes
I don't know if it would work on a pitbull but the guy who left his German shepherd get after me got his dog in a hurry when he heard those teeth rattle together from a well placed front snap kick. The dog was pissed but wouldn't get back in range. If a pit locked down on me I think I would try to strangle it.

I have never had to kill the dog, but the arm shoved in tight, widens his jaws, and the arm wrapped behind the head tightly, causes a panic reaction in the dog. I've had to use it a couple of times (never against a pittbull) and escaped with minor fang marks. We help out with rescues, and some of them have proven aggressive. I've been left bloodied, my wife has been bloodied, and grabbing the dogs balls and squeezing will make him let go of your kid fast. Kick to the ribs after, tend to drive the point home. (I'm the alpha dog, not you)
I have used the aggressive tactic to my advantage before a couple of times. Dogs don't know what to think about a guy shouting loud and aggressively attacking it. I'm glad neither of those were pit bulls though. The time might come when it won't work but that's my first defense when threatened by an aggressive dog.

Sorry, in re-reading my reply it definitely comes off as snotty which wasn't the intent, just trying to back up your post with my own reading and experiences.
I have been challenged by aggressive dogs in the past and all without exception seem all know the universal signal of reaching down to pick up a rock as if the throw. They all react in the same way - that is to say they back off rather quickly. There doesn't even need to be one there, just reach down and make like your picking one up. They all seem to know instinctively to retreat.
I can attest to the toughness of a pit bull and what a formidable an advesary they are. Several years ago while out deer hunting I had the occasion to shoot a pit bull that was running deer in a pack of feral dogs. The pit bull took a 12ga. deer slug thru the chest at 25-30yds., it knocked the pit down and stopped his pursuit of the deer. When I got over to it the dog was not dead in spite of a gaping wound thru its chest. not wanting to shoot it again I stepped on its chest in an attempt to stop its heart. One foot had no effect so I stood on its ribcage with both feet bringing my 250# weight to bear, even then the dog had to bleed out until it finally expired. From that experience hand to fangs combat with a pit bull would be an extreme last resort.
Gun no gun

Knife no knife

Get ready for the hardest fight of your life.

You will not have time to do anything but to react.
It will be painful but you must fight through it to get in your licks.

It does hurt and will leave you having some strange thoughts when you are resting.
It will play over and over in your mind.

It will hurt even if you win.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Gun no gun

Knife no knife

Get ready for the hardest fight of your life.

You will not have time to do anything but to react.
It will be painful but you must fight through it to get in your licks.

It does hurt and will leave you having some strange thoughts when you are resting.
It will play over and over in your mind.

It will hurt even if you win.

never felt any pain but did hear the bone in my finger get crushed.
Not a pitbull but a full grown german shep

My father in law was an "Orkin Man". This shephard come hauling ass from three yards over and leaped. He caught that somebitch mid air and pulled straight downward hard on his mandible. Broke his flapper straight down. Hahaha

Stupid ass mutt
High school classmate of my brother ( I knew him from working on the same logging crew) got jumped by a pitbull and he took it down and pounded on it till it ran off yelping. He was young, very strong and mean when mad.
He got chewed on some, but no permanent damage. He did have some pretty impressive scars on his arm.
He'd played fullback in college and I never saw anyone that could pull 5 3/4" chokers around a hillside like him.
Unfortunately, hand to hand is more likely to be hand to mouth...and it will hurt.
Yeah, all in all I'd rather go hand to hand with a lab puppy. I've done that several times and survived with only minor wounds...
Hope the pit's got a collar on..... They are incredibly athletic dogs.
My Dad got attacked by a fox hound when I was young. Dog had him by the left arm, and Dad reached down, grabbed the dog by the balls and held him at arm's length. Dog let go and went absolutely rigid as a board (so would I!)

I doubt one could lift a large dog that way, but hold enough weight up by its testicles, and you will get its attention. No dangly bits? You're in Plan B land.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My Dad got attacked by a fox hound when I was young. Dog had him by the left arm, and Dad reached down, grabbed the dog by the balls and held him at arm's length. Dog let go and went absolutely rigid as a board (so would I!)

I doubt one could lift a large dog that way, but hold enough weight up by its testicles, and you will get its attention. No dangly bits? You're in Plan B land.

Years ago, in my more athletic days, I was in Tae Kwon Do practice sparring with a cocky little 18 year old blackbelt. I did a front kick at him just as he was moving, and my foot went straight up between his legs and connected squarely, and firmly, with his "dangly bits". Danged if he didn't do the exact same thing, eyes glazed over, froze like a board, and hit the ground. I don't think he even took a breath for like 2 minutes.............
Stay on your feet. If you fall off them, jump back up like your azz is spring loaded.

Get pizzed. Like just walked in on the wife banging your best friend pizzed. And get aggressive. I've not had to physically try to fight a dog off since I was a kid, but have had a few come for me or my kid. As soon as I saw the intent, I charged at them. They either turned or stopped in their tracks.

Will it work against a pit or other determined fighting breed? Not sure, but it can't hurt to make a move toward them, keep your balance, and display aggression. I've warded off a dobie, a couple shepherds with it, and some mutts with it. The doberman, fortunately for him, stopped about a foot off the muzzle of a Smith snub-nosed model 10. It stopped when I moved forward and then stood my ground, even though I was in his territory (walking down the sidewalk in front of his unfenced yard) and fully entered his territory to advance toward him. A shepherd with eyes on my young kid changed course when I picked up a brick out of the planter and charged forward. Puttin' on a show and snarling up a storm as he turned and left the AO, but left he did.

The old man was in the AKC, raised and bred huskies, and spent years around a lot of dogs. He'd taught us the "give them the weak arm, strong arm behind the neck and snap like your life depends on it" routine. Hope to hell I never have to try that one. But if I do, and it doesn't work, I'll be eye gouging, and putting boot to the bottom jaw like I'm getting paid by the kick.

The worst dog attacks I've seen on video or anywhere else were when someone left their feet. It might hurt like hell to stay on your feet with a dog latched on the arm or elsewhere, but you gotta stay on your feet if possible.
Your best bet is distance and up is where I'd try for.

I took about a hundred twenty stitches from a Dobbie when I was a kid. I don't trust dogs off leash. Any dog.
Just explain that you are the Alpha.
Cover you neck and face. They get that and it's game over.

Elderly lady walking her dog here last year got ambushed by 2 pit type dogs. Killed her dog and decapitated her before any help could arrive.

My thought exactly. If there are two, you better kill the first one quickly !
... reach for your knife clipped to your pocket( hopefully it is assisted opening)...

why not just dispense with the precious time wasting fidgety button gadget feature
and carry a 'k.i.s.s'. FIXED blade.
Originally Posted by boatboy

But if you could have a direction how do you neutralize/defend from a pit or something aggressive like that barehanded?

Im especially interested in answers dealing with a PB attached to another person like a frail old lady or child,
im not sure pickup/body-slams or using ones other free arm to break its neck in a special manoeuvre, applies
in such cases.
Originally Posted by Starman

Im especially interested in answers dealing with a PB attached to another person like an old lady or child.

I don't know if it would work on pit bulls, but I've reached with my free hand from underside of jaw and crushed the lips of dog against their back teeth with my thumb and fingers until they let go. A few times. Have had lots of scuffles with big dogs, but no pit bulls

Im especially interested in answers dealing with a PB attached to another person like a frail old lady or child,
im not sure pickup/body-slams or using ones other free arm to break its neck in a special manoeuvre, applies in such cases.

get a short stick and stick it in the corner of the jaw to break its grip, have done this on pits that were fighting each other.

im not sure pickup/body-slams or using ones other free arm to break its neck in a special manoeuvre, applies
in such cases.

Pick it up by it's rear legs and make a wish.
my answer in an earlier thread was a Louisville Slugger. Your are not going to break a PB's neck, you will need to break his jaw if he has a hold of something or pry it open like Roger is saying
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
You could win but you will suffer some damage.

Bottom line right there. Tom

Anyone who wants to win had better see this as the bottom line in any self defense situation, period.
Lots of good info

I agree with those who pointed out
you may win but its probably going to hurt

Hank
Lots of good info

Hank

it will hurt after the fact, while its going down you won't have time to think about pain.
nothing 'text book' in these mixed encounters but some seem to work OK...

sometimes a couple punches will do it, sometimes not, ..a taser can do it instantly,
others times even two shots from a taser seem to have no immediate effect,..

tells me most 'techniques' are just a crapshoot... laugh

^^^This was my first thought, since this scenario was defending against a Pit Bull attack without a gun.

I've always got a Switch Blade with a 5" dagger type double edged blade clipped to my jeans pocket. I'd be a throat slashing dog stabbing sob until the dog lets go or is dead. That would be my game plan, if I'm without a gun.
a good pit or any other heavy dog is going to do a chit load of damage before you can bleed them out from stabbing or cutting and you will most likely need to pry their jaws open in death. If you are one of the folks that is hesitant in confrontations (fights) with another person that dog will own your azz
I would block him with my left arm and while he was attached to said arm, I would pull out my assisted open knife with my strong arm and stab him behind the shoulder in the heart multiple times. I would do it as quick as possible to avoid. as much damage as I could to my left arm
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Lots of good info

Hank

it will hurt after the fact, while its going down you won't have time to think about pain.

Absolutely, been there done that.
Stay on you feet use anything you can.
I finally grabbed the lower jaw, squeezed until I could feel my thumb and fingers between the lower jaw bone and twisted the head around as far as I could, and dragged the dog like that until I got through a chain link gate, leaving the mutt inside.
Lower canine made a deep hole in my lower thumb, but like Roger said you don't feel it till later.
Kicking didn't seem to faze the pitbull, I must have kicked that dog 30 to 50 times. a A hard body kick with work boots on held the German shepherd at bay, so I only had to deal with the pitbull.
I'd kill everyone of the sonsabitches if it was up to me
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Bite its nose off.

Jim Corbett supposedly used a similar tactic to kill an attacking leapord. I still dont understand how he kept the cat in his face from disemboweling him with its hind legs.
Never really thought about it until this topic was posted,...but now that I have, I think I'd grab its face like it was a bowling ball and pluck its eyeballs out.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Yup, us old fuggers would have to act fast and light years ahead of deliberate, we dont have the wind or strength we once had, and like has been said, you fall down, you're screwed, blued and tattooed!
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Never really thought about it until this topic was posted,...but now that I have, I think I'd grab its face like it was a bowling ball and pluck its eyeballs out.

Thumbing that brain through an eye socket would have to hit a kill switch.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Make sure you stay on your feet.

Thats what the burglar did when my police friend sent his dog into the dark business. After finding the screaming dimocrap who thought the dog couldnt smell him, then getting the dog off him and getting him cuffed, leo noticed bloody clothing in the perps crotch area. He asked the perp if he was alright (allrite?) and being told he was A OK he decided they best ckeck to make sure a femoral wasnt cut. Perp dropped trou and his nuts followed them to the floor.

Tough perp.

Yup, us old fuggers would have to act fast and light years ahead of deliberate, we dont have the wind or strength we once had, and like has been said, you fall down and you're screwed, blued and tattooed!

that's why it would be best to pop about 3 Glasers from a 45 or a pair of 12 gauge rounds as it came forward at you. But we are not as young dumb and full of cum as we once was
Originally Posted by PSE
I have been challenged by aggressive dogs in the past and all without exception seem all know the universal signal of reaching down to pick up a rock as if the throw. They all react in the same way - that is to say they back off rather quickly. There doesn't even need to be one there, just reach down and make like your picking one up. They all seem to know instinctively to retreat.

Pits are too dumb to know what a rock is, or care, if they are after you. I had a monster type such killer which didnt know what a truck was, for a little while.
When I first met and married my wife (of 25 years) she had a big male Pit Bull.
“Boss” was about 100 lbs, and very well behaved and trained.
I had been around other “guard ‘type dogs, Shepherds, Pinchers ect.
I had never met a dog that I wasn’t sure I could kill, one on one no weapons.
After a few months of living with “Boss” I realized that if he wanted to, he could kill me.
I know, all of you guys are way tougher than I was.
Let me tell those of you who do not have experience with a big male Pit Bull, they are a different animal.
He weighed 100 lbs and I weighed about 210.
In a tug of war, he could pull me around the back yard as if he out weighted me 2 to1.
He could crush a large bone (the size of a human femor bone) like it was a potato chip.
He was absolutely immune to pain.
Originally Posted by blanket

Yup, us old fuggers would have to act fast and light years ahead of deliberate, we dont have the wind or strength we once had, and like has been said, you fall down and you're screwed, blued and tattooed!

that's why it would be best to pop about 3 Glasers from a 45 or a pair of 12 gauge rounds as it came forward at you. But we are not as young dumb and full of cum as we once was

Yup, nice thing about living here, NEVER leave home without a gun in my pocket, more times than not I have an AR-10 and banded 20 rounders stoked with 130 gr TSX's in the truck too. smile
Originally Posted by Anaconda
When I first met and married my wife (of 25 years) she had a big male Pit Bull.
“Boss” was about 100 lbs, and very well behaved and trained.
I had been around other “guard ‘type dogs, Shepherds, Pinchers ect.
I had never met a dog that I wasn’t sure I could kill, one on one no weapons.
After a few months of living with “Boss” I realized that if he wanted to, he could kill me.
I know, all of you guys are way tougher than I was.
Let me tell those of you who do not have experience with a big male Pit Bull, they are a different animal.
He weighed 100 lbs and I weighed about 210.
In a tug of war, he could pull me around the back yard as if he out weighted me 2 to1.
He could crush a large bone (the size of a human femor bone) like it was a potato chip.
He was absolutely immune to pain.

as I said he would own your azz
While I have no experience with a fearless breed like a pit I have backed down a large doberman with extreme aggression. I saw him coming and ran straight at him yelling obscenities and looking as big as I could. At about 20 feet he turned tail and ran. If one carries through and latches on I will go for the eyes or nose. I can't imagine any dog continuing an attack with a thumb in its eye.
Originally Posted by Fugawe
While I have no experience with a fearless breed like a pit I have backed down a large doberman with extreme aggression. I saw him coming and ran straight at him yelling obscenities and looking as big as I could. At about 20 feet he turned tail and ran. If one carries through and latches on I will go for the eyes or nose. I can't imagine any dog continuing an attack with a thumb in its eye.

Same here, never had one latch ahold of me, but yes, scraping and gouging that brain like it's a tub of bean dip couldn't feel good. ;]
Originally Posted by DaveR

in such cases.

Pick it up by it's rear legs and make a wish.

This^^^, then bust its liver/diaphram with a front snap kick like someones life depends on it because it does, and it may be yours.
Its not about the breed but the dog. I have seen a 35lb cattle dog that is not afraid of grabbing a 2000 lb bull and would rip your nuts off it went for you. And you could do nothing to stop them. A heavily built dog will do some serious damage and a man will not have the means to deal with that without a struggle

Im thinking if you grabbed its head with both hands it would have its head twisted loose faster than the blink of an eye.

You might feed it your weak arm and dig an eye out with a thumb and if it werent making moves away from that insult you MAY be able to force it through the back of the orbit into the brain.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Im thinking if you grabbed its head with both hands it would have its head twisted loose faster than the blink of an eye.

You might feed it your weak arm and dig an eye out with a thumb and if it werent making moves away from that insult you MAY be able to force it through the back of the orbit into the brain.

LOL, I'd be trying Jag, but we's gettin old. wink
Originally Posted by jaguartx

not going to work, imagine a beef leg that does not respond
it's going to hurt
Originally Posted by joken2

Some not bad advice there.

I've had to fight 3 dogs in my life, but thankfully they were attacking my dog, not me. In each case I used weapons (improvised, in the first case) to keep the attacking dog off my dog, then when opportunity presented, used the weapon to injure the dog. I do not ever want to go barehanded against any dog, and make sure I have at least a stick and/or a knife

First one, a large GSD size mutt, came at us while I was riding my mountain bike in a large off-leash area. I fought him off with my bike, he ran away, then came back at us from a distance at a full run. I looked around and found a fist-sized piece of concrete, and threw it at him when he was close. Hit him in the shoulder, broke his scapula. End of fight. Owner was very upset with me, so I offered to call the police and have his dog taken to the pound for attacking, that shut him up pronto. So this illustrates what the author of the article above suggested, incapacitating one or both front legs.

Second one, a pit bull, attacked my dog in close quarters near a fence (again, off-leash area, but no human handler in sight this time). I had a fairly stout walking stick in hand, came up on the dogs as they whirled and snarled and swung baseball bat style as hard as I could at the PB's head/neck area. Connected solidly with the shoulder instead of the head. PB spun away and ki-yi'd off into the sunset, limping badly. Probably broke the scapula, again.

Third one was a pair of dogs at night, while walking with my ex. I was carrying my usual walking stick, a Cold Steel Blackthorn... it's actually composite, not wood, but the ball-handle is big and quite heavy. Ex and I both carried flashlights as a matter of course. We were approached by a couple of loose dogs on a back street: a PB and a boxer. They came on fast and ears back, the PB in the lead. They both came at my Spaniel, who was on-leash. I had the ex hold my Spaniel close on the leash and shine her Sure-Fire into the dogs' faces as they got near. This stopped them, and they backed toff slightly, and confused them; they were trying to "get past" the light to where they knew my dog was. I circled around to the side and swung the stick down hard on the top of the PB's cranium. It literally crossed his eyes. He staggered to one side, clearly stunned blind, and I saw blood leaking out of one ear. The boxer took his cue from the PB, and we hurried into a nearby fenced yard and called the police. The PB was found down and convulsing a couple hundred yards away, and was dead before animal control arrived.

I've chased off half a dozen dogs with thrown rocks, waving my walking stick and yelling, etc. I have used a powerful flashlight to blind and drive back dogs on several occasions. I carry a firearm almost always, but I do not want to have to use it unless there is no alternative. When you shoot a domestic animal, there's a lot of paperwork.
My .02 on the matter. For the most part the average human, and yes even those who are more on the aggressive side, will flinch/stall at a full confrontation with an aggressive animal. The animal (pit bulls in this case) won’t even bat an eye because it has no conscience only instinct. Eventually (and that might only be a second or two or three) our instinct will kick in. Then and only then will you realize your full potential as a warrior. Take it from a guy who was mugged by two youts a few years back, most of us are just too good hearted on a regular bacis. That being said, what I did find out is we still have it in us, but sometimes it’s just buried too deep.
This has been an interesting thread. I virtually always have a gun, but I always have a knife. I like what doc said and I do sometimes carry a walking stick because of an arthritic knee. Like most of you my knife has a thumb catch that helps get it open and I believe I'd literally try to gut the dog after using my weak arm as a target for him. I'd hope I could get the knife in his chest and run that blade to his balls or at least ball sack. I've seen a show on tv where an animal control person got involved in a dog incident and shot the dog with a 9mm in the body, hard to see exactly where and it didn't put the dog down, but the dog knew it hurt him and tried to avoid it while still attacking. It was amazing how focused they get in their attack.

I had a friend up in Alaska who was out for a walk with his wife and didn't have a gun (which really pizzed me off because I had GIVEN him a Ruger LCR 38 special) and a German Shepard got loose and attacked his wife. The wife had heavy winter clothes on so that helped protect her but the Shepard with for her stomach. He started putting the boots to the dog finally the owner came out and pulled it off. Police got involved but they didn't take the dog away. Everyone in the neighborhood knew about the dog and if they saw my friend and his wife out walking they would call out and say "have you got your gun? Can I walk with you?" From that time on I think he made every effort to egg the dog on to get him to jump the fence again so he could justify shooting it. US Marshall next to him did the same thing.

Regardless I think some of us old guys would have our hands full with a big dog, of most kinds, that was focused on creating havoc. Better have some kind of weapon. I appreciate Doc's comments on flashlight, I also carry a very bright flashlight for the same purpose.
Originally Posted by joken2

This seems to be right on.

FWIW...... I have a relative who spent ten years as a LEO in West Virginia. He had many encounters with pit bulls in those calls to the hollers. He said that yes, when the dog comes for you it will go for the closest thing it can get to but they seem to go mostly for hands. Of course, that’s what most people do, put their hands in front of them in a defensive posture. He said he always stuck his night stick down to the dogs face and the dogs would attack it with great enthusiasm but most lost interest in chewing on a hard baton. He said that if they didn’t lose interest quickly, he would smack them between their nose and eyeballs. If that failed, he whopped ‘em on top of the head. Said he never came close to having to shoot a dog. He mentioned that if you had time, put a jacket or something over one hand and then hit that area between nose and eyeballs.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Sorry, in re-reading my reply it definitely comes off as snotty which wasn't the intent, just trying to back up your post with my own reading and experiences.

Nothing snotty about it, just adding to the discussion, all is good.
Our electric fence has never failed in preventing bears or dogs from getting into our garden.Would be interesting in hearing about the use of stun guns on cranky pooches. I turned on a mini stungun I have when my dog was around(not on him) to see his reaction and the crackling sound alone sent him out of the room post haste. Makes me wonder if there are additional frequencies of sound put out by the current we can't hear that dogs don't like, let alone the jolt of lifetime they would receive from the contacts.
Having been bit a few times and seen a few more, the thing that seems to get people chewed up most is getting defensive.

You don’t defend against a dog. You attack it. Don’t try to get away. Kill it.
I had a big pit (65lbs) attack me in Anchorage while I was there during the summer during my college years. He came in low and fast off of a running trail behind Service High School on Hillside where I was jogging. I punched it in the nose as hard as I could and knocked it cold. I called my brother and we picked him up. The pit was in bad shape and pretty much abused by its former drug dealer master.(as what we could tell) We took it back out to our homestead in Kenny Lake and tried to rehab it. It was a lost cause and I had to put it down. He had mental problems and a great deal of anxiety. I have owned pits for more than 40 years and they are great dogs. Pits need structure, exercise and love. Real pits are culled if they show any aggression towards humans but are vicious if they are abused.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I had a big pit (65lbs) attack me in Anchorage while I was there during the summer during my college years. He came in low and fast off of a running trail behind Service High School on Hillside where I was jogging. I punched it in the nose as hard as I could and knocked it cold. I called my brother and we picked him up. The pit was in bad shape and pretty much abused by its former drug dealer master.(as what we could tell) We took it back out to our homestead in Kenny Lake and tried to rehab it. It was a lost cause and I had to put it down. He had mental problems and a great deal of anxiety. I have owned pits for more than 40 years and they are great dogs. Pits need structure, exercise and love. Real pits are culled if they show any aggression towards humans but are vicious if they are abused.

Thanks for this - they are great dogs when cared for properly, and a PIA when not. I adopted one that I had to put down - was attacked numerous times as a puppy so was super dog aggressive and had crazy separation anxiety as well - generally just unhappy and stressed. A sad, dangerous example of the breed so I had to make a very tough decision. I had another one that was amazing in every way - best dog I've ever known. Made it 13 years before a brain tumor took him.
If unarmed which is a mistake use a rock or stick. If you have an aggressive dog of any breed in your neighborhood walk slowly by with a leased small yappy dog and a ,45 semi auto.....
i was sitting behind a gate yesterday, talking to a friend on the other side of the gate. He owns a belgian malois, who had just taken a stuffed animal from one of my dogs on my side of the gated entry way.
that dog did not want to give the toy up and they had a very vocal confrontation. dog was quite impressive. the thought of him latching on to my arm is not a good thing in my mind. Owner had to establish dominance right now, as dog was clearly contesting him.
I was thinking no way am i going hand to hand against an agressive dog, shoot, and shoot.
I've been around dogs all my life, but I learned something from this thread. The input here and the OP's idea to discuss are good issues to think about.

I own a GSD with working lines from Germany. She is not trained as a protection animal, but she is still a German Shepherd. When out walking, it is interesting how she cues on certain other dogs, but ignores others. This starts at about 40 yards as we approach other dogs and their owners. Surely she cannot smell fear or aggression at that distance? If so, it makes one wonder what triggers these random attacks. We had a pit bull pup come racing out the hedges surrounding his yard headed straight for my GSD. She basically ignored the little turd, other than turning to keep an eye on him. The pup lost interest and went back to the house. I was, of course, alert to a fight that never materialized.

The last time I had to stop a dog fight was when a Husky grabbed my wife's pup off the ground with its mouth. I straddled the Husky and slapped his flanks HARD. When I mention straddling, I mean my butt was towards the dog's head. Doing it the other way around puts your face in reach of the dog's mouth. Anyhow, this SOB yelped and dropped the puppy whom I scooped up and asked all the liberal millenials "Whose dog is this?" No one volunteered, so I examined the pup to make sure she was okay, and eventually the dog went to find it's owner. Surprise, surprise, the owner acted like I was the big azzhole, but she never opened her mouth about it.

At any rate, the flank slap is a good alternative to non-lethal situations that need a quick end with little fuss.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

This is the best response so far.

I was 6'2" 240 lbs of pure sinew when my mother-in-law's Chow got hold of my ass about 15 years ago and sent me to the E.R. at the local hospital. It happened SO fast and so furious on the dog's part that I really didn't have much time to react. I went from thinking "Oh sheet, here he comes!" to flailing around trying to shake him off in about 1.8 seconds, suffering multiple bites requiring stitches. I remember telling the emergency room Dr. that I was glad it was just a 40 lb. Chow and not an 80+ dog like a Shepherd, Pit, or Rottweiler or I would have been done for.
Originally Posted by blanket
a good pit or any other heavy dog is going to do a chit load of damage before you can bleed them out from stabbing or cutting and you will most likely need to pry their jaws open in death. If you are one of the folks that is hesitant in confrontations (fights) with another person that dog will own your azz

Fuggers gonna have a hard time biting or crushing my arm if my first knife stroke severs his wind pipe. That and the main artery is the big target with a slash to the throat. YMMV

But I seriously doubt I'll ever have to resort to fighting a dog off with my knife. I NEVER leave home without caring at least one handgun on my person. Period.
IF you do not get in the hardest kick possible to its head before any other contact
it might not go well for you from there on.
Having any body part in the mouth of a very strong animal that is bred to bite and chew
and never let go just doesn't have a good ring to it.
Make your kicks, punches, etc with extreme prejudice.
Don't quit till it is really over.
Pull out your gun, shoot it.
Originally Posted by hanco

you might not have a gun on you whens its your own dog that snaps.
Originally Posted by hanco

The topic of the post question is 'hand to hand'.
Here's what you do: keep a pile of parvovirus-infected dog crap in your refrigerator. When a pitbull owner walks past your place, throw the infected dog crap at them. They will take it home and share it with their dog. Since no pit bull owners
ever seem to vaccinate their dogs the beast will be dead in a week. Problem solved.
© 24hourcampfire