Home
Who cuts your hair?
I was looking for a real barber shop 2 weeks ago, took some doing but i found one. I wanted a hair cut and a shave, the old fashioned way. $18.00 for the hair cut (trimming my existing flat top) and $15 for the shave. I went back to my $12 beautician.
No. Unless they have Playboys. Otherwise, it's a beauty shop for old men.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Who cuts your hair?

Me.

1/2" buzz on head/face 6-7 times a year.
I remember the day, shop, five chairs, five barbers, open till ten on Saturday night.
I don't have any hair no more,...but every few months I go pay this woman $15 to stick her titty in my ear and run some clippers across my head.
I could get a pedicure for about the same money,...but I'd rather have a woman stick her tiddy in my ear than have her pull on my big toe.
I have thought quite a bit about this lately. Barbers are a dying breed. The past two I have had got too old, and the one I have now is semi-retired. Seems the only alternative these days is some "Sport Cuts" shop where the cuts cost twice as much.
I go to Dave's barber shop. A little one chair shop over near the funeral home. He gets my hair cut right about one time out the three. I don't complain. I used a beautician , years a go. Really pretty and rubbed her tits against my neck while she cut. She invited me to her wedding. I didn't go.
Had a barber shop I used while I was temporarily in IL. Old man (70's?). $15 flat for haircut and conversation. Only used him for the four years I was there. Now that I'm outside of Austin, I went to the local "barbershop" which is name only. Don't let the barber pole fool you, flatscreens playing the no-one-cares game everywhere. Half women and no one over 35. $20 for the cut and the conversation (how would you like your cut, then silence) was not worth the $10 tip I used to give to the old man. I miss him.
Who cuts your hair?

I go to a barber with a license who graduated from barber school.
Local barber shop, been there for many years.
Sons have taken over from father.
Saw one in Costa Rica a few days ago - striped pole outside, even. 2 chairs, 2 barbers working.

Didn't need a haircut, and those guy's titties looked pretty small anyway.
My wife cuts mine

And it looks like sheeeitt

But i never say nuthin
Buddy of mine owns a barber shop, old-school, it’s called choppers. Hot shaving cream, straight edge razor not with the replaceable razor blades an old fashion straight edge, Nothing like shave with a true straight edge razor. Everything about his shop is old, and he’s a young guy, 41. And he does not cut women’s hair, how he gets away with that I don’t know. He’s got a refrigerator filled with beer, have a beer while you wait :-)
Barber. Walk ins only. Hot cream and straight razor to the neck.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Who cuts your hair?

I don't know if that woman I go to has a license. Everybody that goes in there with hair ends up with a head that looks like a Poodle's ass,....but she'll stick a tit in their ear while she makes it look like that,......and everybody in Kentucky wears a hat anyway.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Who cuts your hair?

I don't know if that woman I go to has a license.

The woman who trims my sack hair is licensed.
In Kentucky it's about status, not style.

Havin' a head that looks like a Poodle's ass means that you can afford to pay $15 to have a tiddy stuck in ya ear.
I used to go to a real barber , cost $15. One day as I was leaving there it occurred to me that he was driving a brand new Cadillac. My next $15 purchased some electric clippers & I started cutting my own hair but I ain't got a damn Cadillac yet.

Mike
What's left of my thick curly locks gets buzz-cut by my wife every 10 days or so. Takes it right down to the skin, just about. We have been married 46 years, I am no longer interested in her sticking a tiddie in my ear. wink
Originally Posted by jnyork

I am no longer interested in her sticking a tiddie in my ear. wink

I guess you've reached the "Pull my big toe" age.
black beard the barber

https://www.facebook.com/roger.v.hunter/videos/vb.1669200214/10209408750050237/?type=3
Originally Posted by BamBam
Buddy of mine owns a barber shop, old-school, it’s called choppers. Hot shaving cream, straight edge razor not with the replaceable razor blades an old fashion straight edge, Nothing like shave with a true straight edge razor. Everything about his shop is old, and he’s a young guy, 41. And he does not cut women’s hair, how he gets away with that I don’t know. He’s got a refrigerator filled with beer, have a beer while you wait :-)

In a lot of places the health board simply won't let a barber use one. They are supposed to use the replaceable and swap it out for each client.

You are right though, nothing beats a hot towel shave with a freshly stropped razor.
Doug's barber shop , 9.00 a pop. A place where old farts get together and flip each other $hit.
We have one here just a few blocks from me.
Barber pole, fish and game mounts on the walls.
Sporting and gun magazines on tables next to where you sit.
I get my hair cut there.
Vicki's Barber Shop.
My barber is pushing 80 and still going strong. He starts his day with 25 push ups and ends it with a shot and a beer.

His partner of 50 years retired a few years ago and my guy just doesn't want to quit yet.

donsm70
There is a two chair barber shop in the local v.f.w.,old school barbers,no women. $12.00 for a high and tight. I go every 3 weeks.
Growing up my Dad cut my hair, me and my brother wore flat tops for years in the 50's. After I got back from a 4 year hitch over seas it grew long until I married and my wife took over. Then my daughter took over hair duty as she cuts her boys hair. My granddaughter wants the job now and first time she did it I looked like a Mohawk punk rocker with rabies.

Every so often I go up to the local barber in my hick Alaskan town. His place is a good one. He has gun magazines laying around, works on string instruments, makes long bows and carves on gun stocks. He just put 4 grizzly paw carvings on the forearm of my octagon barreled Marlin 1895 45-70. They look just like the bear paw on my Mernickle leather cross draw holster I carry my old J Frame .22 Kit Gun in, only smaller.

He charges 15 bucks, but 13 for seniors. I always give him or some gal that works there some times a 20 dollar bill. He is much more interesting to talk with and often talks about some adventure him and his boy had.
Went to a salon/stylist for years and paid too much for chitty haircuts but got fake tits rubbed all over me in the process so justified it. Now I go to a good old fashion barber, get a good haircut with hot foam, straight razor and all. He's a bit older than me and I'm not sure what I'll do when he's done - guess I could suffer the fake tits and fix the haircuts myself...
I go to the barber shop. Once or twice a year.
My barber shop has been on tap.
Self-inflicted buzz cuts for the most part. Every year or three I stop in at the local barbershop for a store-bought haircut. The barber is always entertaining, but it's best to check the mirror on the way out to make sure the same haircut was performed on both sides.
I go to a real barber. She used to work at the BX but has now opened her own shop. Having to get my hair cut every other week, it is nice to have a good barber that knows how to cut hair correctly. She'll use a razor too if you need/request it. That is quite rare nowadays.
When I lived in Yuma my boys and I went to a two chair shop. The barbers were brothers. Haircut and hot shave on your neck. They were real proud of the fact they had cut our family's hair for five generations.
Moved to Benson and went to a one armed barber for 20 years. Lost his hand in a roping accident. Used to charge $9.00 and went to $10.00. Didn't make any more money because everyone paid him $10.00 anyhow. Asked him why he didn't use a straight razor. Showed me his stump and asked if I really wanted him shaving me with a straight razor. He had a good point so I let it go at that. He died last year.
Now I go to Al's barber shop in Sierra Vista. Very patriotic place with American flags and such. First Al was a fairly large woman with blonde hair. The second time Al was a very petite woman who asked me to slump down in the chair so she could reach my head. Never knew so many women were named Al. At least they dont put that stuff on your hair to make it grow faster.
Who cuts your hair?

Yes.

http://bel-redbarbers.com/

No appointments. Wait your turn. Preferably wait for Mike- Asian guy with glasses. He's the best but they're all good. Granted I've been shaving my head out of convenience for the last 4 years (now growing out for gits and shiggles) but it was $16 four years ago for a men's cut. They do line you up with a straight razor in the back and hot shave cream. Popular place too right after work.
DIY every couple weeks, buzz it all off.
My favorite barbers ever were on Okinawa.

The haircut was good, with a straight-razor edging, then came the 'karate chops' around the head, neck and shoulder, then a dousing of witch hazel.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
DIY every couple weeks, buzz it all off.
Same here.
I know of 3 barber shops in skAnchorage, one of which I visit regularly when I'm out, and one in Fairbanks.
Living close to an AF base there are several barber shops nearby. $12.
I go to a regular barber shop, but there are all women barbers. They will cut women's hair, but have very few women customers. They are not a hair salon. Plenty of hunting and fishing magazines, National Geographic, and such also. Box of kid's toys. $16 for a haircut. I hate to spend that much, so I tried a couple of cheaper places, but the quality was poor. Did not get a boob in the ear at either place, sorry to say.
Same place since my first hair cut as a kid except for an extend period of 20 years. Been in business since 1952. Most of the pictures are from family, friends and customers that have served. Video is from last years Veterens Day celebration sponsored by the owner Bobby. Yes there are still real Americans in Kalifornia.

http://www.villagebarbershopstockton.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Quit going to the barber when I retired 6 years ago. At that time it was $12 and I'd give him a twenty, keep change. Now I buzz it about once a month and the wife trims my neck. I have to ask real nice for the titty in the ear.
Had my bi annual today. 10 bucks
Hottie wife of goin on 40 years,BETTER stick a tiddie in my ear or,"no tip for you".We get to laughing everytime (yeah,gettin old)....she asks what # of buzz,and I get her to explain the difference?
The small town I grew up in a barber shop. Where the old men went to gossip. And they didnt hold back on language just because a 10 yr was waiting for a chair. Colored folks didnt come in, and knew not too.

He only cut hair one way, $5. And he'd give you a penny for the gum machine.

"Sit still boy, so I dont cut your ear off" when using the straight razor. Never even so much as a nick.

He also cut hair at the funeral home, for free. Said he never could charge for that.
I found a great Barbershop in Parker, Arizona. The barber there, named Johnny learned from his dad who started the shop and took it over when his dad retired. He now cuts hair with his dads chair and the shop has been going for over thirty years. Mikes Barbershop continues on................
I got to find a new place dam Walmart went up to $16.00, theres a shop in town but its hardly ever open!
Who cuts your hair?
Local barber in town - took over an existing barber shop when the owner finally retired at nearly 90 years old.. He renovated it and now it really looks like an 'old-time' shop.. Does a good job too.. Poor bastid had a shoulder joint replaced just a couple weeks ago and has a female friend/barber take over until he heals and gets back to work in late April..
I go to a girl that took over the local barber shop after that barber died. She is okay, but recently went up on her price. I'm trying to talk wifey into cutting mine, although I doubt I can get her to stick a tit in my ear.
Barber shop by my house.
Oldest Barber in Arizona - Click on link to read article.

Oldest Barber In Arizona

I used to go to Joe's barber Shop... until my oldest daughter graduated from cosmetology school 10 years ago.
I used to go to a place called Cellar Barbers. Two genuine barbers, and even a delightful old Black man who shined shoes. One of them could give me a pretty fair haircut, if I wanted to look like I was still military. One day, my wife suggested I try a guy at her salon. Reluctantly, I did. That was 20 years ago and I haven't been to anyone else since. He still charges $15, but I always pay him $25, and tip him $100 at Christmas. He's that good.

I truly miss the male atmosphere of a real barber shop. The big old chairs, the strops hanging on the wall, the magazines, and most of all the smell of Club Man lotion. That smell was and is the real essence of "barber shop" in my opinion. Nothing like it. (You can still buy it, too!)
I got a hair cut yesterday at a Quick clips, or some such, that I have been going too for a while since it is near where I buy groceries. All female cutters, some good looking and some not so good. The one yesterday was new to me and good enough looking that She could be a model. Started talking about the rain last week (8.5+ inches) and it went on into She had a cow having a calf that was coming backwards, and when She roped it, Her horse slipped down in the mud and Her Dad had to move in and help out before it became a real rodeo. Another one is a big deer hunter, and they have hunting magazines mixed in with the rest. Same town where the Miss America or Miss USA (I forget which) talked about dipping skoal with boys on National TV. miles
Main Street barber shop
2 barbers— both with a pistol in their pocket
$12
Guns hang on the wall—all for sale
No background cks
Lots of politics and religion discussions
Families with kids, local cops, working men, retired men, hs kids
deer hunters, hog hunters, coon hunters, fishermen.
All enjoy their time spent there.
I remember the day, shop, five chairs, five barbers, open till ten on Saturday night.

Storm Lake?
No barbers in town. Started going to a beautician. She does a great job, hunts deer, and is nice to visit with. She moved and her shop is about 15 miles from here - I still go there. $12.
Use to be 3 barber shops here. They are all gone now. Found a women that cuts hair for nursing homes. I am wheel chair bound and she comes to the house to cut mine. $25.00 and won't take a tip.
We have 2 here in town. Wife buzzes my hair just fine, and I'd prefer not to pay someone to cut mine and have to listen to them yacking the whole time. I don't need to be "entertained". Of course I know I'm different.

But we do have 2 true barber shops here at least.
I use an old time real barber. Cuts my hair (often without even asking what I want, because he already knows) and my beard, for less than $10.00. I've been going there for at least 25yrs.
I moved to another neighbourhood in 2011. Turned out one of my neighbors is an old time barber so I started going there. Good neighbours, nice people. $22 with tip. It's worth the extra $$ not to go to the local salon filled with purple haired bimbos who only want to talk about their baby daddies and other stoopid drama.
Been going to the same barber every two weeks for the last 15 years...A fellow bow hunter/excellent tracker who always answers the phone and comes running when I have one down and need help. We've become pretty good friends and I look forward to our conversation...Oh yea, and he gets the haircut right everytime smile !
Tater Town Barber Shop, on the courthouse square in Gilmer, TX.

Any one of the three barbers there will do. $10 including tip (so they say), and I add a couple of bucks 'cause they are good folks. Gun magazines, local newspapers, old photos on the wall, coffee pot always on (donations accepted), and a bathroom in the back that was added sometime in the 40's-50's.

The owner, Justin, is a younger fella, probably 40, but partially deaf, so everyone yells.

Makes the old guys feel right at home. grin

Ed
A good friend of mine does. He owns 2 barber shops locally.
Similar to another poster, have gone to the local military base for years and have had the same Korean gal cut my hair. Two months ago, she got her own one-chair shop off base. $14 including neck massage and straight razor on neck. She's too flat for the ear probe.
Randy’s Barber shop although Randy retired about three years ago. Now his niece and another guy rent it from him. Randy’s niece gives a damn good flat top. Even went without shaving for three days and went in and got a straight edge shave.
Yes and they charge $10. Plus tip.
Who cuts your hair?

What is this hair thing of which you speak?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My favorite barbers ever were on Okinawa.

The haircut was good, with a straight-razor edging, then came the 'karate chops' around the head, neck and shoulder, then a dousing of witch hazel.

Still bitter about WW2 I take it.
In some ways I'm a cheap ass. Don't recall the last time I've paid to have my hair cut, pretty sure it's been over 20 years. For the price of one haircut I get a cheap one of these. [Linked Image] and I get 10 years out of it.

My son get's his hair cut by the bruthers. Real deal barber shop, with real deal male presumably straight barbers.
i have only had maybe three barbers in my 70 years of life. until i found one locally near my house in phoenix, i commuted monthly to prescott just to get a haircut.
The guy now uses a straight razor, puts the old 50's stinky stuff on your hair, and i don't have to tell him how to get it done.
The owner of the place is actually a woman, but the barbers other than her are old ones.
current barber is a replacement for another guy who retired in his 80's. went to him for a long time, as he also was a deacon in the catholic church. I use to kid him that maybe i could do the confession thing through him.
Same barber going on 35 years now. He was in a shop with another old guy but they gave it up a couple years ago and now it's one of those expensive "sport clips" joints. My semi-retired barber now works by appointment two days a week out of another shop. Now that I'm retired it's a lot easier to schedule something with him. The shop he's at now is pretty old school and when my guy fully retires I'll probably keep going there.
[Linked Image]
I replaced mine with an ear and nose hair plucker....

DMc
Drexel's Barber Shop in Plattsburg, MO. Does a pretty good job and the conversation is always interesting. We solve all the world's problems. No women in there. Usually a couple of old retired farts like me hanging around killing time. He just went up from $9 to $10. Been going there for 10 or 12 years.
Never figured out why barbers need to be licensed. Only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks. Where I live most men wear a hat anyway. Someone said the reason so many barbers don't use straight razors anymore is the license requirement. They said it takes a lot more hours of education to get a straight razor certification. Never really gave it much thought until then.
One more thing, never ask a barber if you need a haircut!
Whoever will take me at the local Supercuts. My best cuts were done by a young Kazakh girl when I lived there. We couldn't speak to one another but she knew what worked.
Originally Posted by 45_100
Never figured out why barbers need to be licensed. Only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks. Where I live most men wear a hat anyway. Someone said the reason so many barbers don't use straight razors anymore is the license requirement. They said it takes a lot more hours of education to get a straight razor certification. Never really gave it much thought until then.
One more thing, never ask a barber if you need a haircut!

I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment. What I mentioned was in a lot of places a fully licensed barber is not allowed to use an old fashioned straight razor. The requirements are an interchangeable set up with a new blade for each client.
One chair shop in a town nearby, population 3500. Guy calls it Custom Cutters and has a combine in the logo. I'm not real particular, just make it short
4 pages in and this hasn't been posted yet?

Mathman I didn't mean to steal your comment. You are probably correct that they require a new blade for each customer with the concern over blood borne diseases. What I meant to say was the licensing entity requires additional hours of education to be certified to use a straight razor.
No problem by me, I was just looking for clarification.
There are barber shops here but we're behind times by a few years. Not a bad thing actually. cool
Norm`s Barbershop , a one chair deal where all of the retired guys gather to read the paper and drink coffee. They also tell LIES to any one that will listen. The barber, Norm, has been cutting hair for

60 years. He does not see the best but gets the job done . The town is about 2000 people .
© 24hourcampfire