Home
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Lost a good horse today... - 03/21/18
"Cali". 9 year old buckskin dun mare, lineage went back to the original quarterhorses. My wife's horse for teaching horsemanship to kids and beginning riders. You'd have to work real hard to find a more gentle horse, particularly when it came to kids. She would move around under a kid to keep the kid "in the seat" and not let him/her fall off.

EPM, or "equine protozoal myeloencephalitis", is what caused her to have to be put down this morning. Damn a 'possum...

Here she is at five months old, the day we brought her home.
[Linked Image]

Here she is 5 years old, getting some exercise.
[Linked Image]

And here, she's almost 6, just hanging around, being a horse.
[Linked Image]

Ed

So sorry about your loss.

We are privileged to have known good horses, good dogs, good people.

They will live in our memories.
Schit. Sorry about that.

I have an old rotten horse that you couldn't kill if you landed a house on him.

The good ones seem to die early. 9 years is just getting started.

Sorry again.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/21/18
Not a horse guy, but a beautiful animal.
Dang....she's a looker. Sorry to hear that.
Sorry to hear this Ed. That's a good looking mare.
Sorry for your loss. Pretty horse.
I looked it up, EPM, the definitive host is a possum. Spores passed in feces. Sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

I'm sorry you lost a good horse Ed.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/21/18
My condolences to you and your family, what a fine looking horse. Damn shame.
That just sucks. 9 is just getting to the good part. I love duns, especially with black points and dappling. It's hard to find them that also have a sweet disposition.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/21/18
Ed ,

That's a real bummer - beautiful animal .

I shoot every possum/coon + others I see , killed a possum last weekend .
Beautiful animal, reminds me of Matt Dillon's horse.

Condolences.
Sorry Ed, Please extend my sympathies to you wife.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I looked it up, EPM, the definitive host is a possum. Spores passed in feces. Sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

I'm sorry you lost a good horse Ed.

Thanks, Mike.

We're watching the other three really close right now.

Thanks to all of y'all for the kind words.

Ed
Sorry to hear that ED . Beautiful horse. My favorite color. I bet it was tough on the wife as well. Damn it ! just damnit. Sure hard to put them down.
Sure hate to hear that, Ed! frown

I don't know how many times I've had my heart broken losing a beloved horse.

I came to a conclusion they are born looking for a place to die...

I just won't have any more if I can help it.

Sorry you lost your buddy.
Sorry, that was a good looking horse.
Posted By: rong Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/21/18
What a beauty,
never heard of that disease before,.I always gave grinners a pass cause they whack the ticks.
Condolences...
Always hard to lose a good friend.
I think I have had the pleasure of meeting that horse. Sorry to hear of her Passing.
So sorry Ed!!!
A Fine looking Mare, so sorry for your Loss!
So sorry to hear that, Ed. I've not had to put a horse down in 20+ years - and had to put 2 down in a month. frown
Sorry to hear.
That’s bad, Ed. Did you ever breed her?
Damn, Ed, that's just no good. At only 9 no less. How's Momma holding up?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Sorry to hear about your loss. My granddaughter lost her horse just about a year ago, so I know how you feel.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
That’s bad, Ed. Did you ever breed her?

Nope. She was Barbara's horse and she made the decisions about that stuff for her.

She wasn't a world champion anything, just a good, solid, dependable horse that loved kids and tolerated most adults. Kinda like us.

Ed
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Worse than I've ever seen her. Us going through a divorce right now isn't helping, either.

Ed
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Sorry to hear about your loss. My granddaughter lost her horse just about a year ago, so I know how you feel.

James, It sucks for me, but there's something about the bond between females and their horses that makes it ten times worse for them.

Ed
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

James, It sucks for me, but there's something about the bond between females and their horses that makes it ten times worse for them.

Ed

You have that right. My granddaughter had been riding this old mare for about 5 or 6 years, and was very attached to her. The mare came down with the colic, and by the time I found her late that afternoon, it was too late. I called the vet, but there wasn't much he could do.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
She was a nice looking horse, sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss, I had a qtr horse as a kid that I miss
Nice horse!

Sad story, sorry 4 your loss.
Sorry to hear that, Ed.

Damn epm.
Posted By: Steve Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Wow. What a beautiful gal. Very sorry.

Ed

I think you're right. Not sure why that is, but I've seen it myself. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Damn.......sorry for your loss!

I don’t know a damn thing about horses, but she was a beauty.
Sorry for your loss, I know how hard that is.
Beautiful mare. Sorry to hear that you lost her while she was right in her prime.

Nine years old, they finally know just about everything they can be taught. You know just exactly how far you can trust her with your loved ones. And you expect the pleasure of their company for another twenty years.

Again, my heartfelt condolences to your family.
Sad news, RIP.
That is a beautiful animal. How sad.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Man, so sorry to hear Ed. I think losing a horse has to be tougher than losing a dog...
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Worse than I've ever seen her. Us going through a divorce right now isn't helping, either.

Ed

Dayom, Ed, im sorry to hear of this, for sure.
Posted By: g5m Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
She's a beauty.

I'm very sorry about your loss.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Ed;
I am sorry to read of this, truly I am.

There's an old Quarter Horse gelding buried in our yard and some mornings I swear I can still hear him Ed.

Some of us get close to horses and some don't - I get that. It's always tough for those of us who do when we lose one, so I'm sorry my cyber friend.

Here's to better days ahead.

Dwayne
Posted By: batch Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
My sincere sympathy, not much else one can say.
What beauty. I’m sorry you lost her in her prime.
She sure was a Beautiful Lady. I'm sorry for your loss. My girlfriend would be deeply wounded if she lost any of her gang of horsies...
I understand how you feel. Pop every possum you see.
Hate to hear this Ed. Sorry for your folks loss
Sorry to hear that Ed. I’ve lost a few over the years. Know the feeling.
Ed,

Reading through this thread, I actually cheered when you mentioned your wife, thinking that the divorce was off. I am so far out there I can understand a woman divorcing me, but I’ll say it again; if it can happen to you it can happen to anyone. I have also often heard that, short of losing a child (God forbid), divorce is the most painful thing one can experience. I dunno if that’s true but I don’t recall being giddy with joy over mine either. So I’m hoping things change for you both.

With regards to possums, both of my remaining female Heelers are self-taught possum-killing fools, I dunno if that is innate in the breed. Being Heelers, they ain’t inclined to roam when left loose either.
Damn. Sorry to hear that Ed. miles
Beaufitul horse, Ed. Sorry to hear you had to put her down.
My sympathy for the loss of a good horse and your other situation too. I've been though both. Not a fun time but it will get better.
Sorry for your loss.
"If a man has one good horse, one good dog, and one good friend in his lifetime, he's been a lucky man".
Posted By: rost495 Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
That sucks. And in this day and time, so many animals seem so much better than so many 2 legged animals.

Sorry to hear this!

Jeff and Carolyn
Posted By: Owl Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/22/18
Sorry to hear Ed. I think that I remember seeing her the last time I was at your place. VERY beautiful animal.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/23/18
Ed, I remember that lovely girl - very well. I am sorry for you.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/23/18
Ed, even though you were mean to me on a recent thread smile I am sorry for your loss. A good horse is one of lifes pleasures......
I haven't been on a horse in 15 years. Last time was the exact evening that I met my wife, to be exact, but I've known a few and ridden several and understand the attachment and affection one can have for them.

My condolences on the loss of that beautiful creature.
Dangit Ed, I'm very sorry, have said it 100 times here but have to say it again, "If you have horses, shoot every possum you see" roll mom over and step on any little ones stuck to her belly too, true worthless vermin!
Thanks again for the kind words, folks.

It's hard to watch a horse dying from EPM. This is the first one I've ever seen. I hope to never see another.

When they go, they go down fast. The paralyzation happens in stages, sort of like a slow-motion stroke over a couple of days, then goes really rapidly. The horse is confused, scared, and unable to maintain it's balance. They can't eat or drink normally and can't get any real rest.

They fight hard against it and that fight is hard to watch because there is no way they can succeed, there's no way to help them, and there's no way to get them to calm down. There is no peaceful death.

Kill every possum.

Ed
Posted By: batch Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/23/18
My sincere sympathy, not much else one can say.
Posted By: Otter Re: Lost a good horse today... - 03/23/18
Condolences to you and your bride for your loss. Beautiful horse. Terrible way for any animal to leave the world.
My good saddlemule got EPM 20 years ago . It ruined him but he is still alive. Most animals don't make it. Very expensive to cure, $1000.00 then, 30 day worming treatment. I don't know if humans can get it or not, dogs can and it's deadly for them.
I don't know if humans can get it or not, dogs can and it's deadly for them.

Does anybody know if deer can get it from possums? I see a lot of them where I feed deer. I do kill them when I can, but I don't kill enough. miles
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ed,

Reading through this thread, I actually cheered when you mentioned your wife, thinking that the divorce was off. I am so far out there I can understand a woman divorcing me, but I’ll say it again; if it can happen to you it can happen to anyone. I have also often heard that, short of losing a child (God forbid), divorce is the most painful thing one can experience. I dunno if that’s true but I don’t recall being giddy with joy over mine either. So I’m hoping things change for you both.

With regards to possums, both of my remaining female Heelers are self-taught possum-killing fools, I dunno if that is innate in the breed. Being Heelers, they ain’t inclined to roam when left loose either.

Divorces?

A six pack and a thirty minute nap will take the sting out of ‘em.
My sincere condolences, Ed. She was sure a looker and I'm sure a great gal.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That is a beautiful animal. How sad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Damn !!!!!!!!!!! Prayers sent to you .
© 24hourcampfire