-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't been on a horse in 15 years. Last time was the exact evening that I met my wife, to be exact, but I've known a few and ridden several and understand the attachment and affection one can have for them.

My condolences on the loss of that beautiful creature.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dangit Ed, I'm very sorry, have said it 100 times here but have to say it again, "If you have horses, shoot every possum you see" roll mom over and step on any little ones stuck to her belly too, true worthless vermin!

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks again for the kind words, folks.

It's hard to watch a horse dying from EPM. This is the first one I've ever seen. I hope to never see another.

When they go, they go down fast. The paralyzation happens in stages, sort of like a slow-motion stroke over a couple of days, then goes really rapidly. The horse is confused, scared, and unable to maintain it's balance. They can't eat or drink normally and can't get any real rest.

They fight hard against it and that fight is hard to watch because there is no way they can succeed, there's no way to help them, and there's no way to get them to calm down. There is no peaceful death.

Kill every possum.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My sincere sympathy, not much else one can say.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Condolences to you and your bride for your loss. Beautiful horse. Terrible way for any animal to leave the world.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
My good saddlemule got EPM 20 years ago . It ruined him but he is still alive. Most animals don't make it. Very expensive to cure, $1000.00 then, 30 day worming treatment. I don't know if humans can get it or not, dogs can and it's deadly for them.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if humans can get it or not, dogs can and it's deadly for them.

Does anybody know if deer can get it from possums? I see a lot of them where I feed deer. I do kill them when I can, but I don't kill enough. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ed,

Reading through this thread, I actually cheered when you mentioned your wife, thinking that the divorce was off. I am so far out there I can understand a woman divorcing me, but I’ll say it again; if it can happen to you it can happen to anyone. I have also often heard that, short of losing a child (God forbid), divorce is the most painful thing one can experience. I dunno if that’s true but I don’t recall being giddy with joy over mine either. So I’m hoping things change for you both.

With regards to possums, both of my remaining female Heelers are self-taught possum-killing fools, I dunno if that is innate in the breed. Being Heelers, they ain’t inclined to roam when left loose either.

Divorces?

A six pack and a thirty minute nap will take the sting out of ‘em.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sincere condolences, Ed. She was sure a looker and I'm sure a great gal.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That is a beautiful animal. How sad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Damn !!!!!!!!!!! Prayers sent to you .

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,577
Posts18,532,148
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.