Home
I'm obviously just a newbie here with only a few postings since last fall. However, in my short tenure I've seen some things that I feel detract from this site. One of them is the frequent use of thread titles that I would label as click bait postings. These are used by a fair number of folks as a methodology to force you to at least click on the posting to see what it's about. I think some folks doing this are just innocently trying to give something a clever title, where as others use this purposely as their default method of presentation. It bugs the [bleep] out of me and I consider it a waste of my time to have to click on these to see what you have to say. To me, this is no different than Pelosi telling me I got to "vote for it before I can read it". Think about it folks............

If you have something interesting to say I would love to read it. It might even pulse my INTJ tendencies enough to reply to it. Please give your thread some kind of title so that I know what it's about or I'm not even reading it. There are enough clearly titled threads here and elsewhere on the net that I'm just scrolling on down past you.

Yeah sure, I'm just a newbie and I should just GTFO if I don't like things. However, I'm simply just trying to improve this great site, nothing more. I'm sure there are a lot of other members who feel the same way.
Maybe let us know which ones you mean.

There's liberal trolls here with nothing better to do...
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
A preview pane of the original post would be nice, many other forums utilize that option...not sure what that entails for the IT Mod.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Really not going to start pointing out certain members, I think the titles speak for themselves. If you "can't tell what something is basically about" from the title, they fall in this camp. It's also not just the liberal trolls, they are easy enough to spot. It's also folks who would appear to be "long term respected regular members". Save your wit and charm for the body of your post and give me an informative title, please! wink
Posted By: deflave Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
This feels like click bait.
Posted By: Youper Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
I recognize the problem you are talking about, but I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. If the title doesn't give me a good clue about the thread I just scroll past and don't worry about it.
Originally Posted by Youper
I recognize the problem you are talking about, but I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. If the title doesn't give me a good clue about the thread I just scroll past and don't worry about it.

Oh trust me, I don't worry about it at all. I just felt it was my duty as a new member to throw it out there into the fire. Folks who post like this will either change and get "your and my attentions", or they won't. No big deal to me.
Posted By: Peddler Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
I thought the title said jail bait so I clicked on it.
Originally Posted by Peddler
I thought the title said jail bait so I clicked on it.

cry
Whiney little bitches bother me more.
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Spike
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Really not going to start pointing out certain members, I think the titles speak for themselves. If you "can't tell what something is basically about" from the title, they fall in this camp. It's also not just the liberal trolls, they are easy enough to spot. It's also folks who would appear to be "long term respected regular members". Save your wit and charm for the body of your post and give me an informative title, please! wink

There's some you'll learn to just bypass. Or not.
Posted By: 1minute Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
A like opinion. I come here for more personal thoughts or help on specific issues, not for links. And for sure not for links that require becoming a member of some group that wants and will use my e-mail address.
Whitney who?
Crack is whack and so is too much coffee.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Whiney little bitches bother me more.

+1

Sounds to me like someone's menstruating.
some of the best threads are "click bait titled" for instance...... is the 223 ai enough gun? .https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12730969/5
I'm obviously just a newbie here with only a few postings since last fall. However, in my short tenure I've seen some things that I feel detract from this site. One of them is the frequent use of thread titles that I would label as click bait postings. These are used by a fair number of folks as a methodology to force you to at least click on the posting to see what it's about. I think some folks doing this are just innocently trying to give something a clever title, where as others use this purposely as their default method of presentation. It bugs the [bleep] out of me and I consider it a waste of my time to have to click on these to see what you have to say. To me, this is no different than Pelosi telling me I got to "vote for it before I can read it". Think about it folks............

If you have something interesting to say I would love to read it. It might even pulse my INTJ tendencies enough to reply to it. Please give your thread some kind of title so that I know what it's about or I'm not even reading it. There are enough clearly titled threads here and elsewhere on the net that I'm just scrolling on down past you.

Yeah sure, I'm just a newbie and I should just GTFO if I don't like things. However, I'm simply just trying to improve this great site, nothing more. I'm sure there are a lot of other members who feel the same way.

This was a great site before you came along!
Originally Posted by deflave

Or a cry baby!
Originally Posted by Youper

Oh trust me, I don't worry about it at all. I just felt it was my duty as a new member to throw it out there into the fire. Folks who post like this will either change and get "your and my attentions", or they won't. No big deal to me.

Okay, then why are you making a big deal about it?

Ridiculous, there is no chick bait on the Fire.
Posted By: RickyD Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
A preview pane of the original post would be nice, many other forums utilize that option...not sure what that entails for the IT Mod.

If I was the Mod I would know that to simply click in and click out would be much less work than restructuring the forum, wouldn't you?

It's really hard to believe all the ridiculous complaints this forum draws, not only from new folks but from many others, too.

A lot of the issue the OP is complaining about lies in perspective, and some titles are hyped and are absurd on their face which is meant to be sarcasm. Bit as mentioned above, just how long does it take to click in and out. Maybe 5 seconds if you scan content and find it lacking? Just how much does that impact one's quality of life? If the answer is anything but, it doesn't, seek help.

I find it interesting that so many also make the claim that many others feel the same way they do, even though they have never seen a tread to evidence that contention and no such polls exist. Then they go on to make threats that if this doesn't change, they will just not open that members threads. Oh My! Wow!! Gee Whiz!!! Golly!!!! And last but not least, depending on perspective, the reason for the gripe is largely based in a much needed improvement to an already great site. Kinda like obama saying this is the greatest country in the world, help me change it. grin

But all in all, thanks for posting. I needed a contra-gripe-gripe to round out my week. wink
"Hunters discover this one weird trick to shoot deer at 700 yards (Doctors are speechless)"
Posted By: Peddler Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
"Hunters discover this one weird trick to shoot deer at 700 yards (Doctors are speechless)"

LOL
Posted By: DUCKBRX Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
This whole thread is pointless but made me laugh .....Hell I thought it said CHICH BAIT almost broke my mouse trying to open it....

If you are trying to change the people behavior, or improve the quality of their posts you might as well save your breath, and your sanity. But if you want to continue to pursue this issue I wish you luck.
I agree with the OP.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
It's just da innanet.
Pretty much the ratio of replies I expected. A couple of folks agree. A couple of folks as usual are dammed funny. The majority of folks disagree with some attacking. That's ok, one of the many hats I've worn in my life was as a volunteer firefighter. Still keep some old turnout gear handy for internet grilling. I've been to Chernobyl too in "92" so I can take the best you have to offer.
Originally Posted by larrylee

Or a cry baby!

I disagree. The man has a point.

However, in time I think we all learn who has bullshit posts and titles (you know who I mean) and scroll on by.

The OP will likely incorporate this method.

or not
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

If I was the Mod I would know that to simply click in and click out would be much less work than restructuring the forum, wouldn't you?

Well, sure. If that were the only reason for programming the preview feature (if even possible with ubb).

Also, we ain't got no stinkeen mods.
Posted By: RickBin Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
For a preview, hit the Active Threads link.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
The most beautiful Women in the world...Click.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
The most beautiful Women in the world...Click.

There, fixed it for you. smile
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by BeanMan
The most beautiful Women in the world...Clit.

There, fixed it for you. smile

Fixt it mo better
Originally Posted by larrylee

This was a great site before you came along!

Oh really, so you are buds with the author of the "should I wipe my ass on Tuesdays" type threads?

Quit being a bitch
Posted By: efw Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18

Yep; OP = hypocrite!

crazy
223AI
while I might agree with the OP, as the saying goes"no good deed goes unpunished." whistle
Anything that has "deflave, Clark or Dave" will draw attention from the masses.

A. Bill
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
while I might agree with the OP, as the saying goes"no good deed goes unpunished." whistle

Its all good M1, the boys are just trying to strut their stuff on the new guy. I'm an old duck hunter so it all just rolls off like a Canvasback......... but it reminded me of this old classic!

Originally Posted by RickBin

But then he wouldn't have anything to bitch about.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by RickBin

But then he wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

Oh but I still do.

That active threads link is nice, hadn't tried that before. Got onto some other interesting deer hunting stuff right away, but it does not address the core issue I raised. I'm 62 ......... been there, done that, and have a long bucket list still to complete. Not going to waist my time clicking on every single post regardless of title just to see what might be there. If I miss something great by not hitting your "bait" or obscure title, oh well, my loss. Working in a university environment, I've been on the internet since its inception. I frequent lots of sites, the content and policies of this site (or lack there of) make it one of the better ones. That hardly means that there isn't room for improvement in some folks postings.
Are you talking about threads titled something like "Yesterday"

And then the narrative is "I killed four guys with a shovel."

Or a link to a story about four dwarves eating a dog the day before today?
Isn’t a title supposed to be interesting or at least meant to get the reader to investigate further?

I don’t understand the conundrum? The titles of threads are so catchy that they’ve got someone all frothed up clicking on threads and reading stuff that they’d rather pass over but can’t because of the catchy titles? 😂
Is there like a link for how to properly title a thread on the interweb?
Posted By: hanco Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18
I thought it was about chinch bait, don’t have my glasses. We had them SOB’s bad last year in Burnet, I got them all over my 🥜 nuts!!! Had to take bleach baths. Anyone ever had them?
Originally Posted by Salty303
Is there like a link for how to properly title a thread on the interweb?

No but a simple dot (.) should be all one needs for a title. Anything more is excessive and salacious.

Great example ......... Yesterday

Are we talking about your four dead guys, your "dwarfs" eating dogs (dwarves is a punk rock band, maybe they were the ones eating the dogs, who knows), or this .................... you tell me? Sorry, but I wouldn't waste my time clicking on just "Yesterday".

Posted By: BobMt Re: "Click Bait" Thread Titles - 04/13/18

serious question......are you also fireball2......bob
Ok, another great example. Everybody's best buddy Paddler just put one up titled "Celebrating Again". Regardless what I may or may not know about Paddler from what I've seen so far here, there is no way I'm wasting my time clicking on a title like that regardless who wrote it.
Originally Posted by BobMt
[quote=Mike_The_Spike] ..................................................... serious question......are you also fireball2......bob

No, never used that name on any site. I'd never been on this site till last fall when I joined as Mike. I found this site while searching for 6.5 CM info for my new Savage.

Are we talking about your four dead guys, your "dwarfs" eating dogs (dwarves is a punk rock band, maybe they were the ones eating the dogs, who knows), or this .................... you tell me? Sorry, but I wouldn't waste my time clicking on just "Yesterday".

All you need to know, is that the Beatles sucked.
[quote=Mike_The_Spike][quote=deflave]Are you talking about threads titled something like "Yesterday"

All you need to know, is that the Beatles sucked.

You "picked" the song, not me! wink I'd mostly agree with your comment. Paul and Ringo are terrible on base and drums. Never cared for John's stuff. George though, had a lot of talent. I love his stuff with the Traveling Wilburys later in life.
Campfire threads are like a box of chocolates - which makes browsing them a little more interesting. You think it's about politics and a picture of a fat chick pops up and you realize none of your expectations really matter anyway. Chill out and let the wave take you for a ride.

[Linked Image]
Didn’t some jackass start an etiquette thread a while back?
Posted By: cisco1 Re: "Chick Bait" Thread Titties - 04/14/18

Mike the spike....

GFY

Welcome to my ignore.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Campfire threads are like a box of chocolates - which makes browsing them a little more interesting. You think it's about politics and a picture of a fat chick pops up and you realize none of your expectations really matter anyway. Chill out and let the wave take you for a ride.

[Linked Image]

"GUNT" lovers, feast your eyes...The rest of us will go blind...Happily!
I'd mostly agree with your comment. Paul and Ringo are terrible on base and drums. Never cared for John's stuff. George though, had a lot of talent. I love his stuff with the Traveling Wilburys later in life.

Nobody gives a fugk.
Originally Posted by kingston
Didn’t some jackass start an etiquette thread a while back?

That thread separated the normal from the abnormal.

Whoever started it should be deemed a saint.

Yeah, I caught that yesterday in a thread. Personally, fat chick photos never did anything for me. I'm 6'3", 270lb, but I always had a weakness for petite brunettes................
Ok, another great example. Everybody's best buddy Paddler just put one up titled "Celebrating Again". Regardless what I may or may not know about Paddler from what I've seen so far here, there is no way I'm wasting my time clicking on a title like that regardless who wrote it.

Now youre guilty of profiling. You figure the thread is a pos, if you use your brain.

[Linked Image]

Yer lucky Mike aint pissed about posters with no class. wink
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Now youre guilty of profiling. You figure the thread is a pos, if you use your brain.

You are exactly right. What I am profiling is posts with obscure "click bait" titles regardless of the OP. As for Paddler, I've read a lot of his stuff when it had an obvious title what it was about.

Yeah, I caught that yesterday in a thread. Personally, fat chick photos never did anything for me. I'm 6'3", 270lb, but I always had a weakness for petite brunettes................

Oh schit...

You're not the biggest guy in your quartet, are you?
Just to amuse jaguartx maybe things will morph into a Walmart picture thread. People are amazing.

[Linked Image]
Maybe things will morph into a Walmart picture thread. People are amazing.

[Linked Image]

I've seen that one all over the net........that lady (I think its female) would be rich if she got a kickback off every posting so far.
If my time was so valuable

That wasting a free click was a big deal.

I wouldn't hang out here. wink
Yeah, what I could find on short notice. There have been some really funny ones posted here I didn't see on Google Images.

Oh schit...

You're not the biggest guy in your quartet, are you?

Actually I was....... sang in an "old fashioned" barbershop quartet back in middle school for one of the holiday functions. Fake mustaches, red/white barber pole shirts, slicked back hair, armbands. I can still remember all the words to "Who threw the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowder", great old Irish tune.

That the best you got deflave?
Mike_the_spike is Ron Kulas’ latest sock puppet.
© 24hourcampfire