Home
Posted By: k20350 A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
I always enjoy this guys videos where he restores old tools but this saw is cool as hell from the pre-battery jobsite day. I have never laid eyes on one before.

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
I can't imagine power being an issue, I never saw such a saw.

It makes perfect sense, generators and cordless tools haven't always been so available,
and it wasn't hard to use the chainsaw platform for a base.
Posted By: rost495 Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
I still have a chainsaw that looks like that model. DIdn't realize they made circular saws out of em

Would be cool for off grid stuff for sure!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
I used a gas powered jack-hammer one time. I think it was called a Ponjar or something. Crazy what they used to have
Posted By: kellory Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I used a gas powered jack-hammer one time. I think it was called a Ponjar or something. Crazy what they used to have

Yep, I've used one. Little old black man showed up on a jobsite to sell it. My boss had him demonstrate it, and that man was a master at it. No one else could do anywhere close to as well. My boss bought it, and hired him to run it. He was employed until his heath failed him.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
And to think Jim, that guy was 37 in that picture. smile
Posted By: k20350 Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
Originally Posted by rost495
I still have a chainsaw that looks like that model. DIdn't realize they made circular saws out of em

Would be cool for off grid stuff for sure!

I found an article in popular mechanics for this saw from 1964. U could remove the engine and they had a chainsaw, circular saw, generator and post hole digger that it could go on. Pretty neat stuff! They made a 7.5" model and a 10" model also for the circ saw.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
Pretty much the same as the fire/rescue saw that has been around for many years and is still used today.

Serious entry teams always show up w/ a K-12 and a Hurst Tool [jaws of life]. Some also get to have explosives and breaching shotguns.

mike r
Posted By: kellory Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Pretty much the same as the fire/rescue saw that has been around for many years and is still used today.

Serious entry teams always show up w/ a K-12 and a Hurst Tool [jaws of life]. Some also get to have explosives and breaching shotguns.

mike r

Your k-12 is similar to the standard "cut off saw" used in the construction trades for a long time. I have one myself. They use chainsaw motors, in fact, if you change the bar, and blade, it is a chainsaw.

http://www.trusupply.com/Husq-K760-...MJ4ucsBpTHnAkeX4YuZ9qdItShxoCqpIQAvD_BwE

A very useful tool. I've seen and used gas powered winches as well. (Chainsaw motors)
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: A saw for manly men - 04/27/18
Still see them in central PA for use in building barns. Saw one in a Mennonite saw shop a couple months back.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18

Poster could use a lesson in clamping .Saw not that rare. They sure do vibrate.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18
Warning: did you notice the open spark plug hole when he cranked it to check for a spark? If he had gas in it and if he had spark, it's very possible for gas to splash out the hole and ignite. I've seen it happen. A much safer way is to leave the plug in the hole. Stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire and hold that near a ground.
Posted By: g5m Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18
I saw a couple in use back in the '60's. None since.
Posted By: rost495 Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

And we are too stubborn to buy one... founded in 1866 and we still won't buy a K12... We do have a husky with a diamond tip chain though... LOL
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18
It looks like it has a 10" or 12" blade. Interesting.

Now a days, we use these almost everyday. I guess you could put a wood blade on them, but you're still free handing it. We're burning up diamonds.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines/
Posted By: TomT Re: A saw for manly men - 04/28/18
cool oddity, but a 5-10KW portable generator on site pretty much makes that unnecessary. Especially when you factor in the extra weight/vibration. -TomT
Posted By: mark shubert Re: A saw for manly men - 04/29/18
While I'd never seen a gas-powered circular saw - I HAVE seen gasoline powered drills, linemen used to use them.
Generators weren't as efficient, small, or common in "The Olden Days"!

I wore out 1 demolition saw - replaced; AND a Pionjar - not yet replaced.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A saw for manly men - 04/29/18
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
It looks like it has a 10" or 12" blade. Interesting.

Now a days, we use these almost everyday. I guess you could put a wood blade on them, but you're still free handing it. We're burning up diamonds.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines/

Not a good idea.

Stihl specifically addresses this in their manuals for the cut off saws. A fireman or two have been decapitated when they thought it would be a good idea to throw a saw blade on and cut into the side of a house, saw kicks back and goes all muslim on them.

Never use circular saw
blades, carbide tipped
blades, rescue blades,
wood-cutting blades or
toothed blades of any
nature. They can cause
severe personal injury
from blade contact,
thrown objects and/or
reactive forces, including
kickback. See section
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: A saw for manly men - 04/29/18
I did a service project at a girl's camp one time where we were building tent pads with railroad ties and filling with sand. One group brought a brand new Stihl with a 14" carbide tipped blade on it. I wouldn't go near them. I used a chainsaw with carbide chain. That cut-off saw was a wicked SOB and scary to boot.
Posted By: 700LH Re: A saw for manly men - 04/29/18
© 24hourcampfire