Home
For those that have btdt, I'd like to know what to expect in the coming years and what level of activity you can do. At 52, I'm too young to be wearing out my knees, but doc says left knee is nearly bone on bone, right is not far behind. Got a cortizone shot today he said would help with inflammation and pain.

Trying to get a good grasp on what the future holds so I can make some decisions on how to best preserve what I've got left.
Surgery.
Start taking gloucosimine/ condroitin pills, i been takeing them every day for about 12 years. My hips were so bad when i was logging ,i barely could pull out the cable on my skidder. I started taking them and about 4 weeks later no more pain,been good still. takes a while but they work !!!!!
My knees are good but my brothers are toast.

Low impact exercise..treadmill with a 12% rise and about 3.3 mph.

I don't believe in glucosamine, I think it's a total crock.

Don't get fat, that destroys more knees than all other factors combined.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Surgery.

That's right. Complete knee reconstruction.

Do ya do one at a time and be a half gimp for awhile, or do 'em both and be a full gimp for awhile...? Decisions, Decisions. wink
Originally Posted by Fireball2
For those that have btdt, I'd like to know what to expect in the coming years and what level of activity you can do. At 52, I'm too young to be wearing out my knees, but doc says left knee is nearly bone on bone, right is not far behind. Got a cortizone shot today he said would help with inflammation and pain.

Trying to get a good grasp on what the future holds so I can make some decisions on how to best preserve what I've got left.

I'd say at your age,It's better to get them fixed now than wait until your older.They are not going to get better over time.You can probably recover better due to your age.
New joints. One at a time.

Add: Some people had good results with stem cell injections in the joint but that's not readily available anymore. FDA deal.
I wish i knew how Rattlers were doing and if he ever got old enough to get the sx.
Doc's under the impression I can run them a while longer. He said as-is- a partial replacement could be done on the left one, but at my age I'd end up needing another full replacement later.

Just curious at what age you guys have been dealing with this stage of wear and how many years you went with what kind of use before needing surgery.

Stepdad is 89 and just had one done a couple years ago. Seems to be doing fine. I'd always heard go as long as you can before surgery so you don't need another later in life.
I went through various knee problems (due to too many years behind the plate on the diamond) since 1989 when I had my first two knee surgeries, one on each knee. At that time the doc told me that arthritis was inevitable. He was right, as I dealt with osteo ever since, had 3 more surgeries, and during the last 6 years (age 51) started getting cortisone injections as often as the doc would give them. I was also taking 2 Aleve tabs every morning as well. He never would give me more than 3 shots per year, but that was fine because they would usually last about 6 months before needing another one anyway. About 1.5 years ago the cortisone quit working more than for about a month.

After MRI's, etc, I was in the same shape you are, pretty much bone on bone. When you get to that point, no reconstruction, arthrocscope, nothing will do you much good. It was time for total knee replacements (age 57) so that's what I did, 3 months apart. It was a real b&%^# for about a month, and rehab was pretty brutal. I used a walker for exactly one week, a cane for 3 days, then started walking on my own, slowly. It has been a total success. I have no knee pain for the first time since 1989.
If the Doc says you are old enough go for the total knee replacement. I've got the metal joints in both knees and have been really happy. Can hike, hunt and ski as good as i did with my god given knees. Fairly quick recovery and in 3 months or so you'll be good as ever. I'd do it again without hesitation.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I went through various knee problems (due to too many years behind the plate on the diamond) since 1989 when I had my first two knee surgeries, one on each knee. At that time the doc told me that arthritis was inevitable. He was right, as I dealt with osteo ever since, had 3 more surgeries, and during the last 6 years (age 51) started getting cortisone injections as often as the doc would give them. I was also taking 2 Aleve tabs every morning as well. He never would give me more than 3 shots per year, but that was fine because they would usually last about 6 months before needing another one anyway. About 1.5 years ago the cortisone quit working more than for about a month.

After MRI's, etc, I was in the same shape you are, pretty much bone on bone. When you get to that point, no reconstruction, arthrocscope, nothing will do you much good. It was time for total knee replacements (age 57) so that's what I did, 3 months apart. It was a real b&%^# for about a month, and rehab was pretty brutal. I used a walker for exactly one week, a cane for 3 days, then started walking on my own, slowly. It has been a total success. I have no knee pain for the first time since 1989.

Thanks, I think! eek eek eek
Originally Posted by Switch
If the Doc says you are old enough go for the total knee replacement. I've got the metal joints in both knees and have been really happy. Can hike, hunt and ski as good as i did with my god given knees. Fairly quick recovery and in 3 months or so you'll be good as ever. I'd do it again without hesitation.

What age did you have it done and how old are you now, if you don't mind me asking.
Wondering if anyone has the shoulder replacement. How it it go? Would you recommend doing it. Recovery time? Doc is recommending I do it, but a little worried, don't know anyone that has done it.
I’m not a doc. But my brother had one replaced in late 50s and the other in early 60s.
Painful recovery, but well worth it.
See good doctors and listen.
My right one is starting to give me trouble too. First thing before anything else, I would do is stop any sort of high impact excercise if possible.
The wife's been doing glucosamine for years. Left knee got bad a couple years or so ago, went to the doc. Steroid injections, then series of gel injections. On the 2nd or 3rd round of the gel shots, hitting the gym (finally), walking the dogs again, doing well.
Originally Posted by Switch

What age did you have it done and how old are you now, if you don't mind me asking.

I had my knees replaced at the age of 62 and 64, Just turned 70 last Monday. You've got a lot of time left, Just do it, you'll be happy
As long as the injections are working, stay with them. When they quit working, it's usually time for more drastic measures.....TKR.
Good luck, wait until after deer season and next year you'll be hiking the high county with your 99
I'd do it now before the heart gives out.
Get some new ones, mine aren’t far behind you!
I have bone on bone. They hurt, but worse they swell and I lose mobility, as in trip in the woods. Don't care about pain, never did, but falling is silly. I get lube shots and it helps. I am also a bit young to get implants. That is my field, so I know to wait.

https://www.drugs.com/cons/hyaluronic-acid-injection.html
I'm 47 and mine are shot. Surveying, contracting, ladders, roofing and few years of daily prednisone have eat mine out to almost nothing.

Here's my xrays from this spring and some of the arrowheads I found with those rotten knees.

I got two rounds of cortizone too in April. Doc says I'm too young for replacement. And also that only hookers and old people are entitled to joys of opiates. Lucky bastards.

As to your question, I have no advice. I thought I knew it all. I tried Knox Gelatin for a few years. Total horshshlt. I tried ice, heat, elevate, massage, hot tub, ortho inserts in my shoes, glucosomine/chondroitin....all total horseshlt.

I just live with it. I have some dr prescribed stabilization braces for days I'm out cutting wood and felling trees and need to run but that't it. I CANNOT take nsaids, aleve, naproxen or aspirin due to renal insufficiency.

Arms and hands still work great for bashin in faces. Hahaha

Roofing fugged my knees up. 5 million trips up a ladder lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, great stuff.

I found one arrowhead out in North Dakota on a pronghorn hunt and managed to lose it before the trip was over. That's my entire career.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

Not sure what that means, unless referring to the kid. If so, I get that. Still up in the air on schedule for him.
Hyperextended my knee at 17. I hobbled on it until January 2018. Total Knee Replacement, Doctor said the new technology would last me 35-40 years if I dont mistreat it. I am 60 in August, so I reckon it’ll carry me through. I intentionally waited until this year. The last 6 years were quite unstable & painful.
Talking about it is fine. I hope you are not getting medical advise on the "fire? I'd go by the doctor's advise.

Not to diminish the bad knees, mine are stiff, and sore most of the time.

Not sure what that means, unless referring to the kid. If so, I get that. Still up in the air on schedule for him.

It means do it before your ticker gives out.
Didn't know I had a bad hip til I had back surgery. Then I discovered a whole new pain. Struggled for 5 years and finally got it replaced. Just about waited too long. Doc said he might have had to do some reconstruction on pelvis. Other one lets me know it's still there but will last a bit more. That said, do what will give you the best life for the time you have left.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hyperextended my knee at 17. I hobbled on it until January 2018. Total Knee Replacement, Doctor said the new technology would last me 35-40 years if I dont mistreat it. I am 60 in August, so I reckon it’ll carry me through. I intentionally waited until this year. The last 6 years were quite unstable & painful.

My doc didn't say anything about 30-40 years. He did mention that being in good shape all around he'd expect me to go 30 or more years and that waiting was best. Maybe he's just hedging the bet a little.
been installing floors 41 yrs no knee problems and i don't use knee pads.... must be lucky.

My doc didn't say anything about 30-40 years. He did mention that being in good shape all around he'd expect me to go 30 or more years and that waiting was best. Maybe he's just hedging the bet a little.

Doc told me i was too young *because* knee replacement only lasts 8-10 yrs

He is a small town dr, maybe he has not moved up to the lastest technology
I had both hips replaced on the same day when I was 57, I struggled with pain and fear of falling for a year before undergoing surgery. If I had known how well things would go I would have done it sooner. If your knees are painful I would do it now, the injections are only prolonging things and the sooner you have surgery the better your quality of life will be. While my knees are still good at 58 I have had both shoulders repaired and can tell you what with modern anesthesia orthopedic surgery is not all that uncomfortable compared to the pre-surgery pain.
I have the same issue.. Almost bone on bone on the left knee. Right pretty much shot as well. I'm 63. I was told surgery, but that I was young to have it done now. Ortho Doc recommended a stem cell injection. My insurance (Tricare) does not cover it.. $1400... Actually one of the best investments I've made. Took a couple of months, but my left knee is back to where I can do what I used too. It will not last forever, but will delay the replacement. Knees are still painful after a long day, but I am fully functional. I was not before. Doc said replacement is fine, but if the knee wears out replacing a replacement does not always go well. Going on 3 years now after the stem cell treatment. When they crap out again I will look at replacements.
Gel shots really help. Talk to your doc.

Had total knee replacement a year ago this month. It has been a long painful year. Icould not take the main pain drugs and you will need them. My doc said I was on left side of the bell curve for healing. Pretty sure healed in 3 months is on extreme right so do not plan on it. Rehab is a must as you will have to work to even lift your leg and will take a long time to get range of motion back. Average time is a year.
At one time they were putting a plate between the two bones, where the knee joins. The body would develop a membrane around the plate, thus creating a bit of cushion.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
been installing floors 41 yrs no knee problems and i don't use knee pads.... must be lucky.

Stx,

You have indeed been lucky. I did the flooring for 35 yrs and my knees are shot. We did a lot of knee kicker stuff and wish I hadn't. 65 yrs old now and when I'm done with building this house, new knees are on the list
My left knee is down to bone on bone, it happands to be my already bad leg! Doc removed alot of cart. back in 1993. Iv had it shot up twice since last Aug. and drained, both times. have a custom brace for when im in the woods or cuting fire wood ect. Doc said Id need to have it replaced in 8-10 years till them he would just drain & shoot it up as needed! Im not certian That I can even have the surgery because of my other problems with the leg, may even lose it one day. just hopeing for the best, and take things one day at a time!

Microfracture surgery is being used more and more. Keeping at an ideal weight and staying in shape will help immensely. Personally I would wait until almost the last minute before I had artificial knee surgery.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Good Genes
If your overweight lose some weight.
More weight = more pain.
Build muscle surrounding the knee to help support the joint.
Had both mine done 4 years ago at 54.
I see vicoden in your future, or whatever they call Codeine pain meds nowadays. Few years of that and then the pain will tell you when it's time for a new knee.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Jeez, you need a new doctor. Or get to a bigger town.
I just had my right knee replaced on 5-9. Turned 61 on 5-29. I have been fighting the pain for the last 3 years, really became limiting the last year. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I am in the no brains no pain club. At 5 weeks I am at 0° on extension and at 125° on flex. My PT is real happy with the way it's going. His words today, "this is bitchen". It has not been brutal or excessively painful.My second phase of PT will be building back my leg strength. Its amazing how much strength I lost favoring it for 3 years. I quit taking the oxy on a regular basis on 5-12 and just take on 5-325 before PT. I was motoring with a walker on the same day. Stiff legged for 20 minutes, twice a day. I did prescribed in home exercises before I went to outpatient PT.
My doc told me this is a lifetime knee. My only limitation is no running and don't fall on it. I told him I ride motocross, he said "no running". Lots of biking and elliptical work in my future. I'm glad I did it and wish had had done it the first time I was asked if I was ready to do it.

Smithrjd, I am going to look at stem cells for my left knee. Doc says that one is shot but I don't have any severe symptoms that make me want to rush into another knee replacement.
John they measured me for a custom brace today. Supposed to push the joint sideways to take some pressure off the worst side.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Start taking gloucosimine/ condroitin pills, i been takeing them every day for about 12 years. My hips were so bad when i was logging ,i barely could pull out the cable on my skidder. I started taking them and about 4 weeks later no more pain,been good still. takes a while but they work !!!!!

This. Left knee was in bad shape and acked if I walked more than 1/4 mile. Started with the chonroitin and 4 to 5 weeks later have not had a pain since, unless I try jogging. If I try jogging it still hurts "some", but not like before! That stuffs a miracle. Got my Mom taking it and her hips are better, too.
I was bad on my knees, 20 years in the Navy running up and down ladders.. Motocross and Enduro racing. I work with electronics, spends days behind an equipment rack on my knees always up and down. Got to where I could not bend down and stand up. Walking two blocks almost brought me to tears. Wife has had cartilage removed, and shoulder surgery. She has had what I call Chicken Juice, I think what others call gel or lube. It has helped her, along with cortisone shots. For my knees neither helped much at all. Draining and cortisone was temporary at best. Got the swelling down but did not help the underlining issues. So far so good, but the day will come when I need both replaced. I just want to wait until I HAVE too..
First, if you are more than 10% body fat, lose weight. At age 61 My Ortho told me if I quit running and skiing I could delay knee replacements for a few years. 10 years later I can limp close to 10 miles in the Mts. Braces and injections will just delay the inevitable if you remain active so get a rebuild now and don't expect much help from pain meds as they are now severely restricted. When pain wakes you from your sleep it becomes significant.

mike r
I don't understand this "you're too young to have a TKR" advice from your doctor. After looking at x-rays that show bone on bone, hearing your personal testimonies on how rotten your quality of life has gotten, how much it hurts daily.........who the hell are they to tell you to wait? Screw that. When it starts hurting bad enough, you'll get it done. I don't care if you're 40. So you may have to get another one in 25-30 yrs. You may not live that long anyway.
Here's a different solution that very often works:

Find a doctor that will inject platelet rich plasma (PRP) into the joints. The tissue between the bones heals very slowly, if at all, because it has no strong blood supply. PRP bypasses that problem and the tissue will heal itself. Sis had that done on her shoulder several years ago and has been just fine ever since. She does have some extremely good contacts in the medical community, which helped her find a provider.

Her report is that it hurts like Old Billy, and that she had to have it done 2-3 times. But the results were outstanding.
I am 69 years old and 15 years ago my doctor (orthopedic) recommended Cosamin DS after telling me I had no cartilage in my left knee. He said FDA proved 80% effective in growing cartilage. Within 3 weeks I had no more pain or problems. Took it for a year then laid off for a couple. Whenever I felt a twinge, I'd start taking it again. I have recommended it to many people since with similar results. Believe me, I thought that doctor was brushing me off but it really fixed me and many others. Try it. It is great. Joe
John they measured me for a custom brace today. Supposed to push the joint sideways to take some pressure off the worst side.

An unloader brace
Have one for my right knee

Fugging 24 yrs of take a knee security halts
While some 22 yr old 2LT wants to do a map check for the
17th time during a movement to daylight......

And toss in all the other stuff from being a light infantryman(it's an oxymoranical term big time)

They smarting the fugg up after awhile and can actually make a hit time.
After they realize they need ta listen to their nco,s about land nav day and night, and not get their ass reamed by a company or battalion commander again.

Problem is your getting a new one every 10- 14 months,
Sometimes way sooner
And all the nco,s in a platoon have to start the process of raising up another
Butter bar again.....
But it's worth it when some become excellent company and battalion and brigade commanders
You serve under years later and ya tell em your knee hurts because of them and the land nav 101 stuff
You beat into their head as a butter bar.
Good times.....

VA compensated knee.

my femur almost 2 years ago , doc said wont replace knees until im fully healled from this.goin on 59 so guess i just live with the pain the rest of my life[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tuskbuster
my femur almost 2 years ago , doc said wont replace knees until im fully healled from this.goin on 59 so guess i just live with the pain the rest of my life[Linked Image]

Gawd dammm.....
That was a "good" one....
What happened?
Originally Posted by denton
Here's a different solution that very often works:

Find a doctor that will inject platelet rich plasma (PRP) into the joints. The tissue between the bones heals very slowly, if at all, because it has no strong blood supply. PRP bypasses that problem and the tissue will heal itself. Sis had that done on her shoulder several years ago and has been just fine ever since. She does have some extremely good contacts in the medical community, which helped her find a provider.

Her report is that it hurts like Old Billy, and that she had to have it done 2-3 times. But the results were outstanding.

Problem is it's expensive and insurance won't cover it. I looked into that myself. Healing cartiledge loss is one thing, having no gaps between your knee joints is entirely another.
Ain't they got a procedure that involves grinding upper and lower joints and installing basically Teflon or similar material like plates
to replace the non existent cartelidge in the joint?
Instead of total joint replacement.
Not sure about that r50. The artificial joints I have, have this teflon cartiledge thing in between the metal.
idiot teenager renegade playin with her phone. i was standin outside my truck on a county road 3 miles from the house look up and bam. my knees were bad before but it blowed all the ritus out literally.plus double fracture scapula ,3 ribs ,wrist,severe ankle sprain and torn rotator in left ,all on the rite side .it sucks tryin to wipe my azz to this day
I partially tore my ACL walking a side hill with too heavy a pack. The doc put it back together but he had to take out quite a bit of the meniscus that I probably got from an old football injury. Once that pad, the meniscus, between the bones in the knee gets injured it rubs on itself and wears out the good part. I waited too long to have that looked at. No arthritis so I'm waiting for when they will do a meniscus transplant replacement with either a synthetic one or one from a bone bank. I was listening to public radio and a year or two back it was in the experimental stage back then. I have heard good things about total knee replacement, but I also know a guy who got a bad infection and nearly died. Step dad had a real early one and the thing clicked like a castanet. He had to go up steps backwards because he didn't have good range of motion.
Dayom, tusker, im sorry to hear that.
There is a company with a FDA certified 30 year knee. I cannot comment more due to company’s social media policy
idiot teenager renegade playin with her phone. i was standin outside my truck on a county road 3 miles from the house look up and bam. my knees were bad before but it blowed all the ritus out literally.plus double fracture scapula ,3 ribs ,wrist,severe ankle sprain and torn rotator in left ,all on the rite side .it sucks tryin to wipe my azz to this day

Gawt dammm!!!

I got wiped out April 20 by a 16yr old girl with a 3 week old newly hatched license
Fugged my back and neck up pretty good.
Hope ya got a lawyer.
I sure as fugg did.
It goes without saying, but range of motion issues can be solved by busting your azzz with the PT. It isn't fun, but it's dang sure worth it.
if they dont have nothin caint get nothin.cost me 20,000 fuggin lip service to get the hospital and drs off my ass and liens removed .so far

You’ll eventually have to take 28 pain killers per day.
My left knee was torn up at 55.

The doc after looking inside drilled some holes into both bones,as he said to piss them off to grow scar tissue.

Had a wreck a few years after and had to have the right worked on.
It feels like brand new today.
I told the doc that the left knee had already had some work on it and after i woke up he just had to clean up some scraps floating.

That has been about9 years ago and both are doing well.
I don't run for other reasons but normal stuff gets done.

I do hate the weather changing though.
Man you guys have really thrown some stuff around here. I'll need to go back and read this again and start taking notes!
My knees went when i was 47.was bone on bone,had all the stuff mentioned above,incuding ortho s ,cort.shots,chicken juice, (i like that name). had right one replaced.then left at age 49.then evans procedure on left foot last sept.i could barely walk before,at least i can get around now.i have to have my right foot broken and set to match the left one next year.not something i m looking foward too.you ll be glad to have them done.
I'm 45 and have had hip replacement, neck fusions, and back surgery years ago when I was just 24yrs of age. All I can say is keep yourself strong. Build up strength and that will go a long way.

Also I'd seriously look into stem cell treatment in Panama. No kidding.
[quote=Steelhead]I'd do it now before the heart gives out.[/quote😜]

My experience on which to interpret thus goes like this: when can’t walk as well as you normally do, you’re going to gain weight, assuming you were doing significant walking before, and without switching to some other form of equivalent calorie burning or reduction. Added weight will further degrade your joints even worsening your mobility. Alla that leads to weakening of the heart and so forth.
I got a new knee 2 years ago when I was 67. It went real well. I quit using a walker after 3 days and was driving in 10 days. Had almost full range of motion in 3 weeks. Main thing my doctor insisted was a lot of exercise starting 8 weeks before surgery. Really made my knee strong. Back to normal in 8 weeks
Switch Had a friend that had both shoulders done and is now back to bow hunting, pulling 63##. Cheers NC
Surgery does not come without any risks, so put it off as long as possible. The flip side is when you are actually bone-on-bone, there is really only one option - surgery for a TKA.

[Linked Image]

When you avoid doing things because your knees hurt - you might be ready.

When you are constantly looking for a place to sit - you might be ready.

If you don't want to go up a flight of stairs - you might be ready.

Reduced activity leads to leg muscle atrophy and weakness. It causes you to be sedentary which has health risks. The lack of activity also leads to weight gain and the associated health risks. There is a real cascade of problems when you don't have wheels.

Only YOU know when you are ready for replacement.
Doc's under the impression I can run them a while longer. He said as-is- a partial replacement could be done on the left one, but at my age I'd end up needing another full replacement later.

Just curious at what age you guys have been dealing with this stage of wear and how many years you went with what kind of use before needing surgery.

Stepdad is 89 and just had one done a couple years ago. Seems to be doing fine. I'd always heard go as long as you can before surgery so you don't need another later in life.

You will be the one that knows when you need them at which point you'll wish you did them six months sooner. A cruel irony or conundrum or something, but there you are.

Find a guy that does several a week (some do several a day) and get the best replacement you can. Expect a six month recovery to get where you want to be. After a year, that's as good as it gets.
And get the nerve block after surgery. The next couple of days will be the best ones you will have for a while and it will help with getting your PT going. In PT disregard pain and go for range of motion, particularly in the beginning.
Obligatory Xray pic. smile

[Linked Image]
Good god.

Derald Dawkins and chocolate thunder.
Bwahahahaaa!!!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ain't they got a procedure that involves grinding upper and lower joints and installing basically Teflon or similar material like plates

Yeah, that's called a "partial" knee replacement.
Roy wear the brace, it will help alot. I wore mine most of last winter, and now only need to ware it when Im doing heavy work or working on uneven ground, woods ect!
Fireball2,
I had both of my knees replaced (total replacement) in 2017. Best decision I ever made. I was basically bone on bone like you. Now I do 30 minutes a day on the elliptical machine and then a mile walk after. I've never felt better. Therapy and excercise after surgery is the key! This past year of deer hunting, I was up and down the hills like I did when I was young. I was 57 when I had mine done.

Ron

I've not btdt, yet, but my friends who have, knee replacement surgery's a piece of cake now - compared to a decade or two ago. If you have insurance - get it done and be rid of the suffering..

FWIW.
my right knee has been bone on bone for over 40 years. I just live with it
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
my right knee has been bone on bone for over 40 years. I just live with it

I have no idea how, or why.
Originally Posted by 35

[Linked Image]

LMAO.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by renegade50

Yeah, that's called a "partial" knee replacement.

There are one or two specialists near where I live that do that stuff. It is way less intrusive then sawing off the bone and inserting a new joint. One guy at work had it done, so far so good.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Surgery does not come without any risks, so put it off as long as possible. The flip side is when you are actually bone-on-bone, there is really only one option - surgery for a TKA.

[Linked Image]

Reduced activity leads to leg muscle atrophy and weakness. It causes you to be sedentary which has health risks. The lack of activity also leads to weight gain and the associated health risks. There is a real cascade of problems when you don't have wheels.

Trying to make decisions on work in the immediate. I'm up and down off the ground and on my knees alot during the day. I got that excavator last fall to get me off the ground but I haven't got full time work for it yet. If I have nothing to lose I'll work the year out and deal with the pain. One mistake I made last year with a different medical issue is I waited too long to go see a doctor and couldn't get it taken care of in my off season. Sometimes takes weeks and months to get appointments around here. Need to plan ahead and that's where all you guys have helped me understand recovery times.

I have my ortho appointment in another week. Things that pushed me BACK to this point: I can't sleep through the night, going downhill/stairs is a bit scary, can't go for a walk with the wife (100 yards and the pain ramps up),

I've had BOTH knees scoped for torn meniscus, 6 years ago I thought I was in for a rebuild, Xrays showed left leg ALMOST bone on bone, right leg 1/2 bone on bone, 1/2 almost bone on bone. Went through cortisone shots to get me through planned events until I had a period I could recover in. Wore the custom fit unloading brace for about 5 months, was WONDERFUL. I've tried glucosomine, didn't do squat for my knees, but made my ankles pain free! Tried a shot series called Euflexa that helps rebuild the sinovial fluid, did nothing.

Discussed partial or total replacement, or a tibial osteotomy (essentially saw your shin bone almost in half, open it up, screw a plastic wedge in and it re-aligns your knee to shift the weight load to the "good" half. went with that, HORRIBLE recovery, way worse than a replacement (crutches for 12 weeks, no weight on that foot for 8, then rehad really kicks in). But I have my original knees.

My guess is I am looking at 1, if not 2, TKR coming. If I need 1 I will be pushing for 2.

I used to run a lot. While in the Marines I ran 20 miles before dawn almost daily. I also skied a lot. My knees wore out. They were bone on bone and every now and then a nerve got between the bones. INSTANT horrible pain.

I now have two stainless steel knees. The first surgery was a breeze and I was back to work in less than a week. The second one was so good. They missed the nerve to be blocked and I woke up in surgery. It was over a month before I was back to work. Lots of pain, lots of Oxy-codoen and Hydo-codone.

The doctor was the same. The anesthesiologist was different, Walking without pain now. Can no longer ski or run.
Originally Posted by 35

[Linked Image]

They shortened your femur. Didn't you notice???
Firebal2: I injured ONE of my knees in a duty related accident 21 years ago.
This required surgery to repair the meniscus and to re-place (place it where it came from) a piece of bone.
Those injuries eventually led to arthritis (injury induced - which is common in knees), the aforementioned bone on bone (no cartilage), four bone spurs, ruined meniscus and one other condition that were all unrepairable!
I was 49 when I was initially injured and did fairly well for 10 years then I began suffering from those various conditions - I fought them for 7 1/2 more years then began the Cortisone injections!
They gave some relief from pain but did not improve any of the conditions.
Finally March 14 this spring I had a full knee replacement and am still doing thrice weekly 1 1/2 hour long physical therapy sessions.
The operation and physical therapy have been very painful - but I am walking better now and the old pains are gone and the "new" pains are diminishing slowly.
Its my understanding that the replacement artificial knee joints last 11 to 14 years so that is one reason "I" put off the "inevitable" for as long as I could - I only want to endure that operation once in this lifetime!
If you are having knee pain that keeps you awake at night then you are "ready" for the new knee - if you are sleeping okay then I say persevere until sleep becomes difficult!
I say take it easy (as best you can!) on the Cortisone injections and anti-inflammatories (some can harm kidneys I hear?) as well.
One of my friends did indeed harm his kidney function by taking to many over the counter anti-inflammatories.
By the way this friend is now on his second set of artificial knees!
Sorry to hear of your condition and I am hoping for the best for you!
I do know this, I now protect my one good natural knee like my life depends on it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Did the insert a rod in your femur? That's what they did with mine.

Good times
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[quote=Steelhead]I'd do it now before the heart gives out.[/quote😜]

My experience on which to interpret thus goes like this: when can’t walk as well as you normally do, you’re going to gain weight, assuming you were doing significant walking before, and without switching to some other form of equivalent calorie burning or reduction. Added weight will further degrade your joints even worsening your mobility. Alla that leads to weakening of the heart and so forth.

You boys are all too deep.

It means, he's getting into prime heart attack years. It was a joke, meaning the worse is yet to come so enjoy the knee problems.
Tore my right ACL 42 years ago playing baseball and it's never been fixed. My family doc suggested I get a knee strap, so I got this gizmo made by Mueller called a Jumper's Knee Strap. It's supposed to help support the patellar tendon. It seems to work. I am now bone on bone, but a cortisone shot, plus the strap, has lasted a year and a half. Before the shot and the strap, it had flaired up to the point that I could not walk. Eventually the shot will wear off and the strap will cease to help, but if you need something to help get you to the OR the strap does seem to help. Google Mueller knee strap.
I have no knee pain for the first time since 1989.

Wow and holy crap! Glad you're pain free. Man thats a long time to be sore. Kinda like my back pain. You just learn to live with it I guess.

He's telling you to do it before you're too damn old to enjoy them.
I have known of two people locally that have died from blood clots associated with their knee replacement surgery. One was my wife's grandfather. Healthy for an 80 yr old man, was getting it done for upcoming vacation to Australia. So much for that.

Pick a good hospital. I feel like these two were post-op nursing failures.
Mine have been bone on bone for over 25 years in my right knee. I didn't want to do a replacement until I had to, hoping to only do one in my lifetime. Now I'm 64 and doing pretty well with that knee. Several years ago I found a supplement that really works great for me. It's called Instaflex. They have two versions out, I use the older one as it seems to work the best for me and is cheaper than the new one. I was having really bad pain in the knee and calf of my right leg and had been off and on for years. I started with one capsule the Instaflex for about 6-8 days, then just forgot about it for a couple of weeks because the pain was gone. I decided to wait until the pain came back before I took any more and it took months before I took my next one. That's about the way it's stayed, pain comes, I take the product, pains goes away, I quit taking it for a while. It's been working well for me for about 5 years now and I'm not planning on surgery until it stops working. Best wishes for ya!
Got the cortizone shot yesterday and came down the stairs this morning with a skip in my step for the first time, in a LONG time. Breezed right on down. Wow, I'd forgotten. Just bent over to get a fry pan out of the cupboard and didn't have to favor my left leg, wiggle around and get all hinky and wince in pain.

I think this thing has kind of snuck up on me. Just thought it was getting old and there was nothing could be done about it. We'll see how the next few days go but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I'm going to start taking the joint meds to see if they help my ankles. Can't hurt.
Got the cortizone shot yesterday and came down the stairs this morning with a skip in my step for the first time, in a LONG time. Breezed right on down. Wow, I'd forgotten. Just bent over to get a fry pan out of the cupboard and didn't have to favor my left leg, wiggle around and get all hinky and wince in pain.

I think this thing has kind of snuck up on me. Just thought it was getting old and there was nothing could be done about it. We'll see how the next few days go but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I'm going to start taking the joint meds to see if they help my ankles. Can't hurt.

I had one of those 3 years ago and it markedly improved my arthritic right knee.
Originally Posted by g5m
New joints. One at a time.

Add: Some people had good results with stem cell injections in the joint but that's not readily available anymore. FDA deal.

They are available at Mayo Clinic.
Got the cortisone shot yesterday and came down the stairs this morning with a skip in my step for the first time, in a LONG time. Breezed right on down. Wow, I'd forgotten. Just bent over to get a fry pan out of the cupboard and didn't have to favor my left leg, wiggle around and get all hinky and wince in pain.

The thing about cortisone is that it will relieve the pain ,but actually eats the joint up.There is an injection that actually lubes your knee and lasts about 6 months.It is made up of Rooster Combs,I forget the name.Most knee replacements are only good for about 8 years.I have had mine for 6 and the Dr. told me I am wearing it out from walking and lifting weights.So if you get it done,don`t use it and it will last a long time. crazy
Knee replacement is your option
It goes without saying, but range of motion issues can be solved by busting your azzz with the PT. It isn't fun, but it's dang sure worth it.

This is very true. I did some new exercises at PT yesterday that didn't feel so bad at the time but later on and today I really feel it. I don't feel good but I still need to do my at home stuff too. Today is going to suck.

[Linked Image]

Trying to make decisions on work in the immediate. I'm up and down off the ground and on my knees alot during the day. I got that excavator last fall to get me off the ground but I haven't got full time work for it yet. If I have nothing to lose I'll work the year out and deal with the pain. One mistake I made last year with a different medical issue is I waited too long to go see a doctor and couldn't get it taken care of in my off season. Sometimes takes weeks and months to get appointments around here. Need to plan ahead and that's where all you guys have helped me understand recovery times.

If you are going to continue kneeling at work after TKR you will need to invest in good gel type knee pads. It is not good to put your kneecap between hard ground and a titanium joint.
Stem Cell treatment. It is the "new" knee replacement. Do it while you still have cartilage to grow. I am getting it as soon as I get home from my summer safari. I didn't figure I had time to let it heal before the trip to do it first. I was told I needed knee replacements 6 years ago and I have been holding on. Best thing is to find a good Doc that understands your lifestyle and isn't too hung up on one method for fixing stuff. There are a lot of temporary band-aid such as corticosteroids, hyaluronic acid injections, snake oil etc.

Stem cell is fairly new in its broad usage and can last years and years.

I tried the shark fin and glucosamine- all it did was give me bowel problems.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Stem Cell treatment. It is the "new" knee replacement. Do it while you still have cartilage to grow. I am getting it as soon as I get home from my summer safari. I didn't figure I had time to let it heal before the trip to do it first. I was told I needed knee replacements 6 years ago and I have been holding on. Best thing is to find a good Doc that understands your lifestyle and isn't too hung up on one method for fixing stuff. There are a lot of temporary band-aid such as corticosteroids, hyaluronic acid injections, snake oil etc.

Stem cell is fairly new in its broad usage and can last years and years.

I tried the shark fin and glucosamine- all it did was give me bowel problems.

Been reading about this in the papers, and it does indeed look promising.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by 35

[Linked Image]

They shortened your femur. Didn't you notice???

I confess that`s not my xray.
I`ve had both knees replaced smile
"Busting your azz in PT" can do more harm than good. You need to do exactly as your Dr. and Physical Therapist tell you, this includes exercises at home between visits to PT. Take your pain meds 30 min. before PT and ice for 20 min. after. Your doctor will tell you that you will be as good as you are going to be at one year, in my case with bi-lateral hip replacement I continued to improve into the second year mostly regaining full range of motion.

Get some Bionic pants.
Currently suffering from acute pain in my right knee. I diagnose it as some form of tendonitis. I thought my IT band was tight, but i didn't roll it out. I kneeled a bit Monday or Tuesday night. A little sore Wednesday morning, but sitting in the patrol truck, it got worse through the day. Way worse than last night. Swelling is about size of a navel orange. I can hardly walk, started using the cane. Previous xrays show some arthritis forming. Substitute doc says it is to be expected of a man mine age (54). If it isn't better in the morning, i better see the doc. Icing, rest, elevation, Vimovo isn't working. Popping Codiene left over from my last back surgery.
Anyone use ice packs on a sore knee?

Not saying you don't need surgery, necessarily, but before you do something like that, at least give the paleo diet a chance for a couple of weeks and see if the knee function returns (or starts to return) to normal. The body has the capacity to repair far in excess of what modern medicine would have you believe, but only in the context of the absence of chronic inflammation. The modern diet, in most people, eventually causes generalized chronic inflammation, which not only causes damage to all kinds of things in the body, but also prevents the body from taking healing action on repairing said damage. Eliminate the modern diet, and the inflammation, and see to what extent your body is able to repair itself.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone use ice packs on a sore knee?

Yep 20 minutes on and then alternate with a warm pack. Fortunately I have not had to do that in a while

We have a bag of frozen corn that's been used as an ice pack so many times, the bag has no labeling left on it :-)

Also have the cryo-cuff from my surgery that I use
FWIW, some medicines can make your joints/tendons/muscles hurt....my latest discovery was that my high blood pressure medicine (atenolol) was to blame for MOST of the issues I had thought were just a result of getting old...but I still continue the tart cherry juice, as it helps the joints too...
One thing that can’t be done with conservative treatment is restoration of cartilage. Cartilage loss leads to ligament laxity and joint instability as the joint space closes (as the ligaments become lax). Joint sheering increases which causes severe sudden onset of sharp pain that many times leads to the knee giving way and falls. I have great hope for cartilage repair but some people’s knees will be too far gone to benefit.

I know a gentleman now who is in his mid 70’s. He is a hard headed dolt who has”treated himself” for years. Glucosamine, chondroitin, knee braces, external rubs, etc. You name it he’s done it. Problem is that his “self treatment” pushed him to the point that his legs are now shaped like parentheses. He hobbled and waddles 15-20 feet with his feet about 15 inches apart compensating for severely bowed knees. He “self treated” for 10-15 years longer than he should have and now is not a candidate for knee replacement because his heart won’t tolerate the surgeries. Unfortunately, he is still the smartest guy in the room concerning his knees and other health problems.

While knee replacement is basically the same for any knee everyone’s experience is uniquely their own. I have rehab’d hundreds of knees after TKR. I have treated many people after each knee was replaced. Rehab is always a bit different even on the same person and each individual knee. A basic rule that I’ve found based on observation is that the longer one waits to undergo the surgery the harder the rehab and the more muscle atrophy and weakness and the worse muscle contractures that develope prior to surgery. These things cause the rehab to be that much more difficult and painful.

My advice would be find a good conservative orthopedist who is open to newer treatment methods. Explore cartilage regeneration options because keeping the original equipment is best. If you are nervous get a second opinion. Be very cautious about the advice that you get from people that have undergone replacement surgery. Many times the people that have had the worst experience and down the procedure are people who didn’t do their rehab properly. Also, too many will become drama queens and tell you horror stories about your rehab process. If done properly and your PT isn’t a ham fisted gorilla you can recover without the need for psychological councelling after it’s done.

Edited to add. By conservative treatment I’m referenceing over the counter substances.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Had mine done at Methodist Sports Medicine in Houston. The same outfit where all the professional athletes go. The doctor said he does about 400 annually.
My take on bone on bone knees and pain has only one remedy. Get them replaced, (total knee replacement) do your rehab, and then use them---,often! I went through the pills, and anything anybody recommended until I missed one full big game season. After that, I went to my V.A. doctor and he showed me the xrays that both knees were bone to bone, and needed treated. I opted for the usual cortisone shots which worked once, but the next time they didn't. I then asked him to do the chicken comb injections which didn't work.
By then we decided on knee rep!acement. That of course was delayed due to the Govt's Choice program .
Finally in 2015 in Oct. and Dec. I had both knees replaced at Ortho MT. in Billings.
After 24 rehab sessions , I had practically no pain. Then I got serious and started hiking approx 20 miles a week in the hills around town.I have been doing this since spring of 2016 and my health, including my knees is better than it has been for years. I am 72 years old and the guy I walk with is 71. He has had his knees replaced also.
I know many people that have had their knees replaced and most of them wished they wouldn't have waited so long.
Besides getting my knees back, I have also gotten back into good hunting shape, and I get to see deer,elk,antelope,bears,rattlesnakes and everything else almost everyday. I also have discovered that my Merril boots have well over 600 miles on them and are still good for a couple hundred more. They have done a good job considering I have weighed around 240 lbs for those miles!
I have been wanting to report this success story to guys that like to get out and enjoy the outdoors and are willing to make it happen with new knees.
You won't regret it if you do the work.
Now back to the alternative methods of prolonging the pain!

Ken
[quote=Fireball2]For those that have btdt, I'd like to know what to expect in the coming years and what level of activity you can do. At 52, I'm too young to be wearing out my knees, but doc says left knee is nearly bone on bone, right is not far behind. Got a cortizone shot today he said would help with inflammation and pain.

You’ll know when and what. No one will have to tell you. You ain’t hurting bad enough,,,,yet.
The Doctor who did my left knee work was the same doctor that kept Nolan Ryan pitching for a lot of years.

I was skeptical about the drilling holes on the bone heads working at all.

But years later it is still holding up.

No voodoo involved. whistle
Buy this stuff from swansonvitamins.com

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-500-400-200-mg-240-tabs

It is proven to help with arthritis.
Also, take gelatine. Buy a little box of Knox gelatine at the grocery store, 4 little envelopes. Put one envelope in a glass of OJ, or else V8 juice, take one a day. The cartilage in you knees is composed of gelatin and this stuff will rebuild your cartilage.

If this stuff is so good, you may ask, why didn't your doctor tell you about it?
Because if you take these simple cheap supplements and they work, your doc will not get a big fee for total knee replacement surgery.
Sorry if I sound so cynical about MDs but I have been dealing with them for 30 years and I have very good reason to be cynical.j

You have nothing to lose this stuff is cheap and no side effects. Try my stuff for two months, and see if there is an improvement.
You'll know when it is time to stop hoping for a miracle cure when the cortisone shots quit doing the job. I know people that the shots worked for for several times. (,I think approx 90 days required between shots), Including myself. Then try the Rooster comb, which I also did and when those remedies quit working, the bone to bone condition was still there.
And then you discover that the time you were easing the pain, the bones have started really grinding together.
I have found that with my new knees, I can again go up and down stairs, hills etc. ,which I couldn't do before, Also mowing the yard is no longer painful. I can even get in and out of my pickup box when that brought tears to my eyes before. There are things I stay away from like running, crawling on the floor with my grand kids,.
I think the longer you wait, the harder the recovery / rehab.will be. I was not told how long my knees will last, but the doctors said I am not pushing them too hard. He does suggest I don't start running though.
I honestly think that unless somebody comes up with a better cure, the total knee replacement is a good cure for a miserable pain that will rob you of years of enjoyment.
You have to be willing to keep using your knees after rehab. , but it is worth it.

Ken
PS I am not related to an orthopedic surgeon! grin
6-40 years is quite a range for longevity of a new knee.
I'm 52 and have been dealing with bone on bone for a few years now. My ortho told me to go about as long as I can before doing TKR because even though they have "30 year" knee replacements, he says as active as I am that I won't get close to 30 years out of them. SO I've been getting the hyaluronic injections/synvisc in both knees about every 8 months and I take glucosamine daily. I'm not over weight of which my ortho tells me to keep it that way, and don't do any running. My exercise is on a stationary bike only for my legs.
From what I understand, the injections don't seem to help everyone. So guess I am lucky. I can go just about pain free for months and then they really start bothering me, so back in for injections.
All of these miracle remedies sound great, but most of them are a waste of time and money. Stem cell is great, supposedly, expensive, and not covered by insurance as many have stated. Like I said before, when it starts hurting bad enough, cortisone/synvisc doesn't work, you'll do something about it, and that means not using those miracle treatments.

As far as longevity, there is no reason a new knee shouldn't last 25 years or more nowadays. Your lifestyle may have to change, maybe not. My doc told me I should not play basketball, jog, squat up and down repeatedly, no high impact stuff. That's fine with me as I don't participate anyway. All I wanted was a normal, no pain in the knee joint, lifestyle.
I was X-rayed at age 60 and told I had no cartilage in either knee. Plus I had sciatica and couldn't walk very far without pain. I underwent therapy and cortisone. Nothing really worked. Finally, I just started walking (and stopping). Also cycling. After awhile I could walk indefinitely. I started to work out with a personal trainer, built muscle, and also lost 75 pounds a few years ago. Now I'm healthier than any of my friends my age and have no problem power walking with weights, etc. I'm 73 years old.

There is no shortcut. Forget the magic snake oil stuff. Just get in shape. Knee replacement should be a last resort.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Buy this stuff from swansonvitamins.com

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-500-400-200-mg-240-tabs

It is proven to help with arthritis.
Also, take gelatine. Buy a little box of Knox gelatine at the grocery store, 4 little envelopes. Put one envelope in a glass of OJ, or else V8 juice, take one a day. The cartilage in you knees is composed of gelatin and this stuff will rebuild your cartilage.

If this stuff is so good, you may ask, why didn't your doctor tell you about it?
Because if you take these simple cheap supplements and they work, your doc will not get a big fee for total knee replacement surgery.
Sorry if I sound so cynical about MDs but I have been dealing with them for 30 years and I have very good reason to be cynical.j

You have nothing to lose this stuff is cheap and no side effects. Try my stuff for two months, and see if there is an improvement.

Uh huh.Talk about cynical. This is about a double dose of horseschittt, Simon.
29,000 posts doesn’t correlate to good health? Hmmmmm🤔
Visited the Dr this morning. Cortisone shots still provide minimal relief so we agreed shots to get me thru hunting season then knee replacement of the right knee. Left knee replacement a year or so later.

Jim, why not do both at once? I ask because I am seeing the Dr in a week and if it goes as I think it will I will be in that discussion, one or two and when. Several people have recommended if you need em both, do them together and be done with it.
I had TKR in the right knee 11 years ago. What a world of pain.
I am not a wimp. I would never do both knees at the same time, do one and wait a year.
Try Ozone Gas Discosan before you resort to surgery.

Avoid steroid injections - while they lower inflammation, they actually degrade the cartilage and bone.
Tyrone: Indeed "steroid injections" REPAIR nothing in a ruined knee!
But you know what Tyrone, the "steroid injections" greatly diminish and relieve the constant and aggravating pain of arthritic knees, cartilage "free" knees, bone spurs and various other conditions I and millions of others have suffered immensely from!
I am the worlds greatest avoider of prescription drugs (and Doctors) and the like - but I worshiped the relief that Cortisone injections gave me.
I strung out all the Cortisone injections I got "at the end there" to 120+ days apart.
Again the relief from those injections was just amazing and wonderful.
Again no improvements in any conditions I suffered from other the the relentless ongoing agony and sleep depravation!
Let me give YOU an example!
I drove over to Missoula, Montana about 3 years ago to the knee specialist Doctor who was treating me - its a 175 mile drive each way.
I got out of the car in the Doctors office a bit trepidacious about my first Cortisone injection. I could barely walk with my one BAD knee!
Let alone the time it had taken to wriggle out of my car with just one functioning knee.
I hobbled across the lot in a moderate snowfall in my short pants with bare legs showing there under my "Bermudas".
I go visit the Doctor and his female physicians assistant and they inject my knee for the first time.
Off I go, still hobbling, and drive to the Cost-Co store across town.
Still in a snow squall and still in my short pants I grab my shopping list and hop out of my car and stride across the parking lot - almost instantly I realize I am virtually completely free of the agonizing pain and limited movements that had PLAGUED me for several years!
I am not afraid to admit it I began crying there in the snow and the parking lot as I walked - I have never felt such elation and relief in my life!
And this amazing transition took place in about an hour - from agony to wonderous relief!
People in the lot were staring at me as I cried and walked by in my short pants - but I could not have given a flying [bleep] less!
Poo-poo the "steroid injections" if you care to but "I" am a believer!
If a person is on the path to a knee replacement I absolutely endorse Costisone shots for amazing relief and aversion from agony that haunts seriously injured knee owners - like I was!
And the few years I got away without the knee replacement due to Cortisone use I did pretty well resuming endurance Hunts and backpacking.
And those years of "putting off" the inevitable knee replacement got me that much closer to the end of my life and having to face the misery and painful recovery from knee replacement just the one time.
Amen, and thank you Jesus, for Cortisone!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I am not a wimp. I would never do both knees at the same time, do one and wait a year.

I think it's all tradeoffs. If you wait a year, that's another year with pain doing simple life things, like walking. Where if you do them both, you get a huge HUGE suck fest to live through for a couple weeks, then you improve.
Bon H in NH: I know three people who had BOTH total knee replacements done at the same time - NONE of them endorse doing so now!
All were/are working people and they SUFFERED!
My one friend tells this story on himself after he had both knees done he crutched his way to his patio and laid down on his lounge chair/bed.
He tried to take a nap but "nature called" to him after a while.
He could NOT get out of that chaise type lounge chair to relieve himself no matter what he tried!
He had to call 911 for help as his wife was at work and could not leave to come home and help him.
By the time the Police and Fire crew got there to assist him he had already relieved himself - he relayed to me how that was one of the worst moments/incidents of his life.
He laughs about it now but it was not funny at the time.
My sister-in-law is a supervisor of supervisors of nurses at a large hospital in the Puget Sound area.
She had both knees done (replaced at the same time) at age 62 it was over 180 days until she could resume her mostly desk duties due to the pain and recovery from atrophy and weakness.
My sister-in-law is a workaholic and had never used a days sick leave in all her time at that hospital - she just could NOT manage even simple duties for 6 months - she had MUCH difficulty attending her physical therapy classes and of course had to be driven there and back each session (three times a week!)!
If I had to have both knees done (and knowing now what I know!) I would NOT even consider doing both knee replacements at the same time.
"Suck fest" is exactly what the operation and recovery should be described as!
Story on myself - I think it was week 5 of my recovery and I decide I will take a Jacuzzi bubble bath in my master bedrooms tub.
Hadn't done so in months.
I get in and that was not to difficult/painful and I turn on the jets and soak there for 20 minutes or so.
Once done soaking/relaxing I could not slither my way out of that tub!
I tried everything - I let the water out, I put a towel on the edge of the tub for traction, I tried to upend myself into a forward kneeling position no luck!
I had to call in the VarmintWife with a foot stool and put it under my ass and then "bailed out" over the edge of the tub onto the better traction carpeted floor where she helped me to my feet.
Two total knee replacements at once - wouldn't even consider it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Ask your surgeon if they are using an ERAS protocol for pain relief after surgery. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery includes nerve blocks, spinal block, medication regiment, early ambulation, etc. The results are dramatically better than just a few years ago. Some facilities are doing TKA on an outpatient basis.
[quote=simonkenton7]I had TKR in the right knee 11 years ago. What a world of pain.
I am not a wimp. I would never do both knees at the same time, do one and wait a year.[/quote

Err, scuse me, Dude but didn’t you just pimp the wonders of gelatin and Swanson vitamins one page back?

If both knees hurt and diminish your quality of life, a year is way too long to wait.

Some people have had bilateral TKAs, but most nurses reco against, and most surgeons will not do doubles. It more than doubles the risk of complications and ..... death (sort of a serious complication).

My doc would not do doubles (I asked, but was for information only). They want three months minimum between sxs, so you have a 'leg to stand on' after each. mine were Nov 2, 2017 and Jan 30, 2018. Did great after each one, but i had an excellent surgical team, a wonderful PT, and hit the PT hard. you know you're hitting the PT hard when you get told to 'take it easy - it's a marathon, not a sprint'! grin

I feel 20 years younger.

Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I think it's all tradeoffs. If you wait a year, that's another year with pain doing simple life things, like walking. Where if you do them both, you get a huge HUGE suck fest to live through for a couple weeks, then you improve.

I did mine 3 months apart. You know it's going to be a month of pain, then it gets better relatively quickly after that.
I had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago on 5/22. I will have my right knee done on 7/9. The surgery is considered an outpatient procedure, with one night in the hospital. I am 70 years old and have weighed around 300 pounds for most of my adult life. I guess I did pretty well because they lasted 7 decades. I investigated the possibility of getting both knees done at once, but we decided to do them 6 weeks apart because of the lower rate of complications.

The surgery was done using a spinal block and sedation. This is supposed to promote a somewhat faster recovery for the first few days. I was asleep during the procedure.

The pain was becoming debilitating prior to getting this done, and I had a pronounced limp. The left knee was more painful, but the right knee looked worse on the X-rays.

When I awoke from surgery, I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was moderate and tolerable. It has never been excruciating, but of course it has not been a recreational experience by any means. I was able to stand briefly the first day and walk with a walker on the second. PT began the second day and has been 3 days a week so far. The PT has been easier than I anticipated, but certainly not fun. I now have a 110 degree range of motion on the operated leg. I take prescription pain pills at night and before PT, but Tylenol most of the remainder of the time. I started driving at 2 weeks. I have been able to ride my zero-turn lawnmower for the past week.

I can walk reasonable distances and do carry a cane but don't have to rely on it. For example, I can make a shopping trip to WalMart with a good level of comfort.

Hopefully I will be functionally able to enjoy the fall hunting season.

The first day I had the distinct impression that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, because when they had me stand up 8 hours after the surgery, I felt pain from the incision, and the muscles and tendons that had been abused, but I did not feel ANY of the bone-on-bone pain and grinding that were such problems before the operation.

I live alone, but did have company for a few days after the surgery. However, I have been able to take care of myself without help almost from the beginning.

I can't say I am looking forward to getting the right one done, but I definitely AM looking forward to being able to walk normally next fall. My advice is as follows: If you need to get them done, go for the gusto. If I can answer any questions, feel free to PM me. Best wishes.
Alla this talk of pain makes me think I was lucky. I was off the opies except for PT. Shauna busted my ass (which I appreciate) and needed a little help there for those days.

Now, I'm working on reversing years of muscle atrophy from reduced activity.
I joined the military in 1979, tore up my knees in 1984, since that time I have had 11 surgeries between the two. In 2006 I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces medically due to my knees.
I was taking Vioxx until they found that the drug was hard on the heart. It worked wonderfully but a heart attack wasn't a good option. Since 2004, I have taking a cocktail of Tylenol 3, Codeine Contin and Tiaprofenic daily. Periodically, I was also getting the Neovisc injections.

Fast forward to today, the last Neovisc injections in Jan 18 didn't take. More xrays have shown I am now bone on bone in the right knee, almost the same in the left. Currently I am waiting to hear from Veterans Affairs Canada regarding whether they will cover another series of injections in my right knee. The left has been approved so I am wondering why they are dragging out the right knee approval. I have an appointment with my ortho in July where we will be discussing TKR. It has been discussed as an upcoming requirement but this will be THE discussion.
Thing is, from the day I say go for it to the day of surgery is 10-12 months. As well, I am quite certain it will cost me my job, a job I don't care for but pays well and I have a mortgage still, 7 years to go. (The employer isn't obligated to hold my position longer than 90 days)

I live in fear of climbing up/down stairs, have to sit down when shopping after walking the store. Good thing I like McD's coffee.
I have even fallen a few times when my knees have given out. The only hunting I have tried seriously has been upland game the last 3-4 years.
The constant grinding is getting old real fast!

It is going to be an interesting year waiting for the day to arrive, bill pay downs will be significant but I'll be liquidating a lot of my stuff I guess.
At 58 years, it will be a challenge to find a new job, maybe I'll just retire after they let me go. Heck, if I can hold onto a couple rifles/shotguns and fly rods, life will be good if I am pain free.
troutfly-
depending on what you do for work, it's entirely feasible for you to be back to work in 90 days.

I guess the delay for the sx is the "free" medical care in Canada?
troutfly-
depending on what you do for work, it's entirely feasible for you to be back to work in 90 days.

I guess the delay for the sx is the "free" medical care in Canada?

A good chunk of the delay is actually dealing with VAC. Our Liberal government is more concerned with helping the rest of the world than taking care of Veterans, we are an inconvenience to them.

Not sure what free medical care in Canada is though. LOL.
We pay, just in a different way than you guys do.
Wrt my job being held, there are grey areas that could mean I am actually unemployed after 30 days as the injury didn't occur on this job. Lets just say I don't trust them.
Such is life.....
Sorry to hear about vets on the hind tit. You'll figure what is best for you. I wish you luck.
[quote=simonkenton7]I had TKR in the right knee 11 years ago. What a world of pain.
I am not a wimp. I would never do both knees at the same time, do one and wait a year.[/quote

Err, scuse me, Dude but didn’t you just pimp the wonders of gelatin and Swanson vitamins one page back?

You are astute, oldtoot.

I did have TKR but not because of arthritis. In 2007 I was in a logging accident and broke the right femur in the knee. Take it from me, that is a bad place to fracture the femur.
Doc put the knee back together with 4 screws, I mean, these orthopedic docs are just carpenters with surgical masks on.
Doc promised me a "100 percent recovery."
Instead, I had 100 percent failure.

I was on crutches for 16 months, and in November of 2008 I had TKR.

I am 67 and have had a very active life, played soccer for 17 years, did lots of karate, played high school football, worked construction for years.
I do take glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm daily, along with gelatine, and I have no arthritis. The left knee is fine.
Damn, I wish that goddam pine tree hadn't got on top of my right knee in 2007.

Now, there is no doubt that the first doc screwed up, but, thank God for Dr. Sanger who did the TKR, he did a good job on me and I get around pretty well on my titanium knee.

Guys, I know injury, I broke my ankle playing college soccer, knocked out 2 teeth and broke right thumb playing football, knocked the recaps of those two teeth out in a hang glider crash landing, got 140 stitches in the forehead in a car wreck, took out the windshield, 35 stitches left thigh, chain saw accident. I could go on for several paragraphs.
I know all about injury and I know all about pain. Or at least I thought I knew, until I had TKR. Good Lord the pain and suffering exceed anything else I have ever known by a large margin. I would never do two TKR on the same day.

In the course of my two surgeries in 07 and 08 I had big bottles of 10 mg Vicodin.
I must say, a 10 mg Vicodin chased with a double gin and tonic* will make your knee stop hurting.

* do not try this at home not recommended by physician
Thanks, pretty sure what I'll do, just gotta make sure the plan is in place.
There are new treatments coming for the bone on bone injecting stem cells and for the cartilege tears injecting cell combinations that heal. Knee replacements will have problems eventually if you dont get the weight to a reasonable level. No one right answer also try everything from easiest to surgery to find solution
Also running per se has no relationship to knee damage and helps keep weight off and strengthen knee and cartiledge. Running in the military with boots and packs ruins knees. Seen 90 year old runners with healthy knees.

You are astute, oldtoot.

I did have TKR but not because of arthritis. In 2007 I was in a logging accident and broke the right femur in the knee. Take it from me, that is a bad place to fracture the femur.
Doc put the knee back together with 4 screws, I mean, these orthopedic docs are just carpenters with surgical masks on.
Doc promised me a "100 percent recovery."
Instead, I had 100 percent failure.

I was on crutches for 16 months, and in November of 2008 I had TKR.

I am 67 and have had a very active life, played soccer for 17 years, did lots of karate, played high school football, worked construction for years.
I do take glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm daily, along with gelatine, and I have no arthritis. The left knee is fine.
Damn, I wish that goddam pine tree hadn't got on top of my right knee in 2007.

Now, there is no doubt that the first doc screwed up, but, thank God for Dr. Sanger who did the TKR, he did a good job on me and I get around pretty well on my titanium knee.

Guys, I know injury, I broke my ankle playing college soccer, knocked out 2 teeth and broke right thumb playing football, knocked the recaps of those two teeth out in a hang glider crash landing, got 140 stitches in the forehead in a car wreck, took out the windshield, 35 stitches left thigh, chain saw accident. I could go on for several paragraphs.
I know all about injury and I know all about pain. Or at least I thought I knew, until I had TKR. Good Lord the pain and suffering exceed anything else I have ever known by a large margin. I would never do two TKR on the same day.

In the course of my two surgeries in 07 and 08 I had big bottles of 10 mg Vicodin.
I must say, a 10 mg Vicodin chased with a double gin and tonic* will make your knee stop hurting.

* do not try this at home not recommended by physician

You've had your old asss dragged through the knothole, backwards.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Currently suffering from acute pain in my right knee. I diagnose it as some form of tendonitis. I thought my IT band was tight, but i didn't roll it out. I kneeled a bit Monday or Tuesday night. A little sore Wednesday morning, but sitting in the patrol truck, it got worse through the day. Way worse than last night. Swelling is about size of a navel orange. I can hardly walk, started using the cane. Previous xrays show some arthritis forming. Substitute doc says it is to be expected of a man mine age (54). If it isn't better in the morning, i better see the doc. Icing, rest, elevation, Vimovo isn't working. Popping Codiene left over from my last back surgery.

Actually sounds like Gout. I had the pleasure of having Gout in my knee a month ago. Came on fast. Swelling and pain at a 9.5. Couldn't walk by morning. Doc took 50cc of fluid off the knee. It tested positive for uric acid which LOVES arthritis. Prednisone for the gout and Vics for the pain. Vics allowed me some sleep at night which is when the pain always seemed to be worse. I drank over a gallon of tart cherry juice, iced, and elevated. Better now, but still not 100%.
53 years old, one year ago today I was involved an a serious motor vehicle accident, resulting me having a TKR done on April 30. First week sucked, but on May 14th I was turkey hunting and killed a gobbler. Some ppl handle pain and some ppl can not. Anyone who has had both knees done at the same time, in my book is a hero. I have talked to a lot of ppl that had the TKR done and most said they would do it all over again. I plan on hunting archery elk in Idaho the month of September. Cant stop living..

Finally met with my Dr. Will be getting a new right knee in October after my hunting trip, well past time he says, left is not ready to replace, but has a torn meniscus which is what is causing the pain, he will fix that while I am under via a scope. Both knee caps have bone spurs as well.

Says the implant will outlive me, forgot to ask about the cement lifespan as that seems to be the issue with my Dad's knees.

they do use the spinal/nerve block combo and he says it allows a faster recovery, so thanks to whomever on this thread suggested asking about that!
© 24hourcampfire