Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is a company with a FDA certified 30 year knee. I cannot comment more due to company’s social media policy

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by tuskbuster
idiot teenager renegade playin with her phone. i was standin outside my truck on a county road 3 miles from the house look up and bam. my knees were bad before but it blowed all the ritus out literally.plus double fracture scapula ,3 ribs ,wrist,severe ankle sprain and torn rotator in left ,all on the rite side .it sucks tryin to wipe my azz to this day

Gawt dammm!!!

I got wiped out April 20 by a 16yr old girl with a 3 week old newly hatched license
Fugged my back and neck up pretty good.
Hope ya got a lawyer.
I sure as fugg did.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It goes without saying, but range of motion issues can be solved by busting your azzz with the PT. It isn't fun, but it's dang sure worth it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
if they dont have nothin caint get nothin.cost me 20,000 fuggin lip service to get the hospital and drs off my ass and liens removed .so far

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
For those that have btdt, I'd like to know what to expect in the coming years and what level of activity you can do. At 52, I'm too young to be wearing out my knees, but doc says left knee is nearly bone on bone, right is not far behind. Got a cortizone shot today he said would help with inflammation and pain.

Trying to get a good grasp on what the future holds so I can make some decisions on how to best preserve what I've got left.

You’ll eventually have to take 28 pain killers per day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My left knee was torn up at 55.

The doc after looking inside drilled some holes into both bones,as he said to piss them off to grow scar tissue.

Had a wreck a few years after and had to have the right worked on.
It feels like brand new today.
I told the doc that the left knee had already had some work on it and after i woke up he just had to clean up some scraps floating.

That has been about9 years ago and both are doing well.
I don't run for other reasons but normal stuff gets done.

I do hate the weather changing though.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Man you guys have really thrown some stuff around here. I'll need to go back and read this again and start taking notes!

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My knees went when i was 47.was bone on bone,had all the stuff mentioned above,incuding ortho s ,cort.shots,chicken juice, (i like that name). had right one replaced.then left at age 49.then evans procedure on left foot last sept.i could barely walk before,at least i can get around now.i have to have my right foot broken and set to match the left one next year.not something i m looking foward too.you ll be glad to have them done.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm 45 and have had hip replacement, neck fusions, and back surgery years ago when I was just 24yrs of age. All I can say is keep yourself strong. Build up strength and that will go a long way.

Also I'd seriously look into stem cell treatment in Panama. No kidding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Steelhead]I'd do it now before the heart gives out.[/quote😜]

My experience on which to interpret thus goes like this: when can’t walk as well as you normally do, you’re going to gain weight, assuming you were doing significant walking before, and without switching to some other form of equivalent calorie burning or reduction. Added weight will further degrade your joints even worsening your mobility. Alla that leads to weakening of the heart and so forth.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I got a new knee 2 years ago when I was 67. It went real well. I quit using a walker after 3 days and was driving in 10 days. Had almost full range of motion in 3 weeks. Main thing my doctor insisted was a lot of exercise starting 8 weeks before surgery. Really made my knee strong. Back to normal in 8 weeks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Switch Had a friend that had both shoulders done and is now back to bow hunting, pulling 63##. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surgery does not come without any risks, so put it off as long as possible. The flip side is when you are actually bone-on-bone, there is really only one option - surgery for a TKA.

[Linked Image]

When you avoid doing things because your knees hurt - you might be ready.

When you are constantly looking for a place to sit - you might be ready.

If you don't want to go up a flight of stairs - you might be ready.

Reduced activity leads to leg muscle atrophy and weakness. It causes you to be sedentary which has health risks. The lack of activity also leads to weight gain and the associated health risks. There is a real cascade of problems when you don't have wheels.

Only YOU know when you are ready for replacement.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Doc's under the impression I can run them a while longer. He said as-is- a partial replacement could be done on the left one, but at my age I'd end up needing another full replacement later.

Just curious at what age you guys have been dealing with this stage of wear and how many years you went with what kind of use before needing surgery.

Stepdad is 89 and just had one done a couple years ago. Seems to be doing fine. I'd always heard go as long as you can before surgery so you don't need another later in life.

You will be the one that knows when you need them at which point you'll wish you did them six months sooner. A cruel irony or conundrum or something, but there you are.

Find a guy that does several a week (some do several a day) and get the best replacement you can. Expect a six month recovery to get where you want to be. After a year, that's as good as it gets.
And get the nerve block after surgery. The next couple of days will be the best ones you will have for a while and it will help with getting your PT going. In PT disregard pain and go for range of motion, particularly in the beginning.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Obligatory Xray pic. smile

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good god.

Derald Dawkins and chocolate thunder.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Bwahahahaaa!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ain't they got a procedure that involves grinding upper and lower joints and installing basically Teflon or similar material like plates
to replace the non existent cartelidge in the joint?
Instead of total joint replacement.

Yeah, that's called a "partial" knee replacement.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Roy wear the brace, it will help alot. I wore mine most of last winter, and now only need to ware it when Im doing heavy work or working on uneven ground, woods ect!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fireball2,
I had both of my knees replaced (total replacement) in 2017. Best decision I ever made. I was basically bone on bone like you. Now I do 30 minutes a day on the elliptical machine and then a mile walk after. I've never felt better. Therapy and excercise after surgery is the key! This past year of deer hunting, I was up and down the hills like I did when I was young. I was 57 when I had mine done.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.