Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd do it now before the heart gives out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get some new ones, mine aren’t far behind you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have bone on bone. They hurt, but worse they swell and I lose mobility, as in trip in the woods. Don't care about pain, never did, but falling is silly. I get lube shots and it helps. I am also a bit young to get implants. That is my field, so I know to wait.

https://www.drugs.com/cons/hyaluronic-acid-injection.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 47 and mine are shot. Surveying, contracting, ladders, roofing and few years of daily prednisone have eat mine out to almost nothing.

Here's my xrays from this spring and some of the arrowheads I found with those rotten knees.

I got two rounds of cortizone too in April. Doc says I'm too young for replacement. And also that only hookers and old people are entitled to joys of opiates. Lucky bastards.

As to your question, I have no advice. I thought I knew it all. I tried Knox Gelatin for a few years. Total horshshlt. I tried ice, heat, elevate, massage, hot tub, ortho inserts in my shoes, glucosomine/chondroitin....all total horseshlt.

I just live with it. I have some dr prescribed stabilization braces for days I'm out cutting wood and felling trees and need to run but that't it. I CANNOT take nsaids, aleve, naproxen or aspirin due to renal insufficiency.

Arms and hands still work great for bashin in faces. Hahaha

Roofing fugged my knees up. 5 million trips up a ladder lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow, great stuff.

I found one arrowhead out in North Dakota on a pronghorn hunt and managed to lose it before the trip was over. That's my entire career.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Not sure what that means, unless referring to the kid. If so, I get that. Still up in the air on schedule for him.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/13/18.

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hyperextended my knee at 17. I hobbled on it until January 2018. Total Knee Replacement, Doctor said the new technology would last me 35-40 years if I dont mistreat it. I am 60 in August, so I reckon it’ll carry me through. I intentionally waited until this year. The last 6 years were quite unstable & painful.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Talking about it is fine. I hope you are not getting medical advise on the "fire? I'd go by the doctor's advise.

Not to diminish the bad knees, mine are stiff, and sore most of the time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Not sure what that means, unless referring to the kid. If so, I get that. Still up in the air on schedule for him.

It means do it before your ticker gives out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Didn't know I had a bad hip til I had back surgery. Then I discovered a whole new pain. Struggled for 5 years and finally got it replaced. Just about waited too long. Doc said he might have had to do some reconstruction on pelvis. Other one lets me know it's still there but will last a bit more. That said, do what will give you the best life for the time you have left.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hyperextended my knee at 17. I hobbled on it until January 2018. Total Knee Replacement, Doctor said the new technology would last me 35-40 years if I dont mistreat it. I am 60 in August, so I reckon it’ll carry me through. I intentionally waited until this year. The last 6 years were quite unstable & painful.

My doc didn't say anything about 30-40 years. He did mention that being in good shape all around he'd expect me to go 30 or more years and that waiting was best. Maybe he's just hedging the bet a little.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
been installing floors 41 yrs no knee problems and i don't use knee pads.... must be lucky.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28

My doc didn't say anything about 30-40 years. He did mention that being in good shape all around he'd expect me to go 30 or more years and that waiting was best. Maybe he's just hedging the bet a little.

Doc told me i was too young *because* knee replacement only lasts 8-10 yrs

He is a small town dr, maybe he has not moved up to the lastest technology

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had both hips replaced on the same day when I was 57, I struggled with pain and fear of falling for a year before undergoing surgery. If I had known how well things would go I would have done it sooner. If your knees are painful I would do it now, the injections are only prolonging things and the sooner you have surgery the better your quality of life will be. While my knees are still good at 58 I have had both shoulders repaired and can tell you what with modern anesthesia orthopedic surgery is not all that uncomfortable compared to the pre-surgery pain.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have the same issue.. Almost bone on bone on the left knee. Right pretty much shot as well. I'm 63. I was told surgery, but that I was young to have it done now. Ortho Doc recommended a stem cell injection. My insurance (Tricare) does not cover it.. $1400... Actually one of the best investments I've made. Took a couple of months, but my left knee is back to where I can do what I used too. It will not last forever, but will delay the replacement. Knees are still painful after a long day, but I am fully functional. I was not before. Doc said replacement is fine, but if the knee wears out replacing a replacement does not always go well. Going on 3 years now after the stem cell treatment. When they crap out again I will look at replacements.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gel shots really help. Talk to your doc.

Had total knee replacement a year ago this month. It has been a long painful year. Icould not take the main pain drugs and you will need them. My doc said I was on left side of the bell curve for healing. Pretty sure healed in 3 months is on extreme right so do not plan on it. Rehab is a must as you will have to work to even lift your leg and will take a long time to get range of motion back. Average time is a year.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
At one time they were putting a plate between the two bones, where the knee joins. The body would develop a membrane around the plate, thus creating a bit of cushion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
been installing floors 41 yrs no knee problems and i don't use knee pads.... must be lucky.

Stx,

You have indeed been lucky. I did the flooring for 35 yrs and my knees are shot. We did a lot of knee kicker stuff and wish I hadn't. 65 yrs old now and when I'm done with building this house, new knees are on the list

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
My left knee is down to bone on bone, it happands to be my already bad leg! Doc removed alot of cart. back in 1993. Iv had it shot up twice since last Aug. and drained, both times. have a custom brace for when im in the woods or cuting fire wood ect. Doc said Id need to have it replaced in 8-10 years till them he would just drain & shoot it up as needed! Im not certian That I can even have the surgery because of my other problems with the leg, may even lose it one day. just hopeing for the best, and take things one day at a time!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For those that have btdt, I'd like to know what to expect in the coming years and what level of activity you can do. At 52, I'm too young to be wearing out my knees, but doc says left knee is nearly bone on bone, right is not far behind. Got a cortizone shot today he said would help with inflammation and pain.

Trying to get a good grasp on what the future holds so I can make some decisions on how to best preserve what I've got left.

Microfracture surgery is being used more and more. Keeping at an ideal weight and staying in shape will help immensely. Personally I would wait until almost the last minute before I had artificial knee surgery.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.