Home
Posted By: Kellywk Canada - 06/14/18
Another thread got me to thinking about whether the US is being unfair by putting tariffs on Canada, so I did some researching for the following:

1. the US sends about $4.3 billion a year in foreign aid to Canada, that's enough to give every homeless veteran in the U.S. over $40,000 per year

2. Canada isn't exactly a third world county and while it likes the money it doesn't really need it.

3. Canada spends less than 1/2 the benchmark GDP perecentage on NATO while the US contributes almost twice the bench mark percentage, that works out to an extra $4 in taxes for each American who actually pays income taxes.

If Trudeau feels he's being bullied and dicated to by the U.S., why doesn't he just stop taking our money?
Posted By: BowRiverFlyGuy Re: Canada - 06/14/18
The US sends foreign aid to Canada? That's news to me.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Canada - 06/14/18
Was to me as well
Posted By: RVB Re: Canada - 06/14/18
Ha, I call bull on that one...source?

According to US Aid which appears to be a US govt website, the #1 country is Israel at $3.1 billion.

Mexico - $86.6 million
Canada - $3 million - for nature conservation? Not sure why this is necessary.

Cheers,

R
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Canada - 06/14/18
If there was a staunchly conservative government in Canada do you still think the US would be sending them $?

I doubt it. I can imagine all liberals and One Worlders stick together.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Canada - 06/14/18
That is news to me. Canada send aid to other county's.
Posted By: jetbrook Re: Canada - 06/14/18
The U.S. disbursed $33.2 billion—$19 billion in economic assistance to 184 countries and $14.2 billion in military assistance to 142 countries. Out of the top six U.S. foreign aid recipients, five of them were Muslim countries. And yet it seems the U.S. can't buy good press in the Middle East.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Canada - 06/14/18
For some reason, I don't buy us sending money to Canada like we do to Israel, and the African countries. I would think that's something of a misprint, or misleading information.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Canada - 06/14/18
Why would we need foreign aid?

A current controversy here is why are we spending money on foreign aid when the PM says we don't have enough money for our vets.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Canada - 06/14/18
I think we have bigger problems than Canada. 😉
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Canada - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by jetbrook
The U.S. disbursed $33.2 billion—$19 billion in economic assistance to 184 countries and $14.2 billion in military assistance to 142 countries. Out of the top six U.S. foreign aid recipients, five of them were Muslim countries. And yet it seems the U.S. can't buy good press in the Middle East.

The only aid that should go to the middle east is military, in the form of rockets. In that case, I say we triple their allotment asap.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Another thread got me to thinking about whether the US is being unfair by putting tariffs on Canada, so I did some researching for the following:

1. the US sends about $4.3 billion a year in foreign aid to Canada, that's enough to give every homeless veteran in the U.S. over $40,000 per year

2. Canada isn't exactly a third world county and while it likes the money it doesn't really need it.

3. Canada spends less than 1/2 the benchmark GDP perecentage on NATO while the US contributes almost twice the bench mark percentage, that works out to an extra $4 in taxes for each American who actually pays income taxes.

If Trudeau feels he's being bullied and dicated to by the U.S., why doesn't he just stop taking our money?

What's your information source ? CNN?
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Canada - 06/15/18
I don't buy it either. Canada doesn't need anything from us other than to learn how to make decent whiskey.
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Now that is dam funny and of course total BS.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I think we have bigger problems than Canada. 😉

No doubt this is true. Much bigger problems than Canada.
Posted By: RedAstrachan Re: Canada - 06/15/18
I got a grand idea. Chopping block with ALL foreign aid!

What the hell do we owe anyone?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan

I have no problem with that.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Canada - 06/15/18
there are several different types of 'foreign aid'. I am not sure of this web site's affiliations, but it gives a decent break down on aid, who to, and how much, and of what type

http://theconversation.com/us-foreign-aid-explained-74810

These figures do NOT reflect the additional $20 billion or so that American private foundations, churches and individuals give to international recipients. Almost all of this goes to economic assistance. This exceeds US government giving for to the same sector.
Posted By: greydog Re: Canada - 06/15/18
If I ever get around to applying for my social security, maybe they'll call that foreign aid. I recently used money from a US bank account to help a friend in Peru get his business up and running. I'm not sure if that would be considered US foreign aid, since it was sent from the US in US dollars, or Canadian foreign aid snce the money originated in Canada. The thing with most government foreign aid is that it probably costs twice as much as the value of the aid in administrative costs to send the aid by the time the bureaucrats and elected officials are finished doing their part (whatever that might be). GD
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I don't buy it either. Canada doesn't need anything from us other than to learn how to make decent whiskey.

Crown Royal and I have to disagree with you on that one point.
Posted By: PSE Re: Canada - 06/15/18
I'm calling BS on the foreign aid. Why would Canada need foreign aid?? Link please?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan

Finally...someone has a GOOD idea!
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Canada - 06/15/18
How about no more aid to any country,ever,and, they start PAYING BACK,the American tax payer.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Kellywk,

It might interest you to read to this article and understand the process of Foreign Aid, and the part that the USA plays in it.

https://theconversation.com/us-foreign-aid-explained-74810

Lynn
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by PSE
I'm calling BS on the foreign aid. Why would Canada need foreign aid?? Link please?

I posted a link that explains that, if you bother to read it. $4.3 billion to Canada was a fact
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Canada - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by PSE

I posted a link that explains that, if you bother to read it. $4.3 billion to Canada was a fact

You misread your own link.

It does NOT say that the US gave Canada $4.3 billion of aid. It says that Canada gives out $4.3 billion of foreign aid.

Slight difference.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Canada - 06/16/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by PSE

You misread your own link.

It does NOT say that the US gave Canada $4.3 billion of aid. It says that Canada gives out $4.3 billion of foreign aid.

Slight difference.

well hush my mouth. You are right, I did skim that too quickly. Thanks for catching that.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Canada - 06/16/18
Lets play Russia, invade Canada, turn em into good Americans like should have been done a couple hundred years ago,, win win smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Canada - 06/16/18
700LH,

Agreed.

Mexico should have been annexed at the end of the Spanish American war also. Cuba too. Maybe right down to that canal we built for the world.

Immigration problem from Mexico solved, another source of petro and mineral wealth..................and real tortillas!

Geno
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Canada - 06/16/18
Invade Canada? Do you have any idea the problems the US would inherit?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Canada - 06/16/18
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Kellywk,

It might interest you to read to this article and understand the process of Foreign Aid, and the part that the USA plays in it.

https://theconversation.com/us-foreign-aid-explained-74810

Lynn

It not hard to figure out the politics behind the writers of this article.

The US sucks.
We use too many resources.
We don't help others enough........................

They can go pound sand.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Canada - 06/16/18
At least three of you have limited reading comprehension.
© 24hourcampfire