Home
Posted By: 2legit2quit Guys in New England - 06/14/18
Well finally gonna hang up my spurs on my biz and wanting to scratch some stuff off the ole bucket list.

Want to see the fall colors in New England, One area of the country we've not been to yet. We'll fly into Boston around 2nd week of October and would like to spend a couple of days in Boston. After that? It depends upon what direction you guys recommend. Should we head into New Hampshire and Connecticut? Or go west to New York. We're only going to be gone for a little over a week so don't want to try and venture too far from Boston. It's more important that we spend some quality time wherever we go rather than trying to take it all in on such a short venture.

Wife doesn't want to miss too much work cause we'll head to Kauai again in January. But we've always wanted to see the fall colors in New England. Appreciate any insight you folks that live there or have btdt can offer. TIA,
Posted By: rem141r Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
new hampshire. kancamagus highway is new england at its finest
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
obliged rem141r
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
http://ridethewilds.nhgrand.com
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
+1 on the kancamagus highway.
i just reread your post. the 2nd week of oct may be a bit late. still nice though but probably past prime.
and actually, for the people who bust balls on new england, a ride on the kancamagus highway and a trip to mt washington may change their mind
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
Vermont and New Hamphire are both very nice in the fall but then so are the Catskills.. I'd rate them all about even if spectacular fall scenery is what you're looking for.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Well finally gonna hang up my spurs on my biz and wanting to scratch some stuff off the ole bucket list.

Want to see the fall colors in New England, One area of the country we've not been to yet. We'll fly into Boston around 2nd week of October and would like to spend a couple of days in Boston. After that? It depends upon what direction you guys recommend. Should we head into New Hampshire and Connecticut? Or go west to New York. We're only going to be gone for a little over a week so don't want to try and venture too far from Boston. It's more important that we spend some quality time wherever we go rather than trying to take it all in on such a short venture.

Wife doesn't want to miss too much work cause we'll head to Kauai again in January. But we've always wanted to see the fall colors in New England. Appreciate any insight you folks that live there or have btdt can offer. TIA,

i'm going totry and make it up there in oct, to fish and hunt with Leighton.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
I can not advise on where to see what you want. But the trip at that time of year has sounded good for years. Northern Minnesota , and NW Ontario in late summer is as close as I've been.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
2nd week of October is late for Vermont. Although last year it would've been perfect. It was an odd year.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
Originally Posted by rem141r

Yep. Then head over to Mount Washington Inn for a stunning view of the Presidential Range and a stay in a classic inn. There are lots of other old and very nice hotels with views too but we love Mt Washington.

Color can vary a lot across New England - Here's at least a little predictor https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/foliage/peak-fall-foliage-map/
I would go up through New Hampshire along the K highway and swing west into northern Vermont see all the colors and spend a day in Burlington which is pretty then circle back towards Boston taking route 7 south out of Burlington. It takes you through a lot of small quaint towns. Check different web sites which show what percent of peak to determine where to go. Rainy windy weather will strip the leaves early so the exact dates of peak foliage varies from year to year. The first week or two of October though is normally pretty good. Good luck and Northern New England is certainly beautiful at peak.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
No expert, but a bit experienced. I would start a bit earlier, go to the top and drive from north to south - take your time - see some really nice places, as noted here by others - if you hit it right, the colors will roll with you.
I'll add this...Vermont is a really small state but the peak foliage is rarely statewide. The local news and papers normally show a map with peak vs non peak so on any given day one can see the map and drive to where the colors are the most vivid. Hardwood trees offer the best colors with maple, oak, beech, hickory and ash so typically the mountainous ridges offer some of the best colors.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Guys in New England - 06/14/18
good stuff guys, really want to spend my mom's b'day with her on Oct. 1, but may fly out the 2nd and meet my wife in Boston so we're there a bit earlier. Really appreciate all the comments.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
I can only echo what others have said. Peak foliage is typically the first week in Oct for northern New England. Anywhere in the white mountain forest is picturesque that time of year. North Conway has lots of places to stay, as well as shopping for the wife :-) lots of great hiking in the area as well. Make reservations early, as the leaf peepers flock to the area during early October.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
good stuff guys, really want to spend my mom's b'day with her on Oct. 1, but may fly out the 2nd and meet my wife in Boston so we're there a bit earlier. Really appreciate all the comments.

If you can catch VT in peak there is simply nothing that compares to it. Not even in New England.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Vermont and New Hamphire are both very nice in the fall but then so are the Catskills.. I'd rate them all about even if spectacular fall scenery is what you're looking for.

Yup on the Catskills. The first week of October is usually the peak of color. They don't last very long and a hard rain or dry season can have a negative result.
Posted By: johnw Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
I haven't seen much of the north east, but i can say that the five fingers region of New York is spectacular in the fall. Including the drive east into Massachusetts.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sackett Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Taking the Conway Scenic RR's Notch Train for the day is well worth it. Try and get the bubble car. Notch Train

Driving up Mt Washington is worth it. Taking the Cog RR up Mt Washington isn't worth it IMHO

Also need to remember that Northern New England and Southern New England are weeks apart when it comes to foliage peak, with Northern being first. Even in CT, the NE & NW hills are typically a week earlier than the CT River Valley.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by rem141r

This.
Also, as noted, generally speaking you’ll be a little late for “peak” foliage. There are plenty of good, small places to stay up North (that’s north of the Notches, contrary to what the southern NH/MA folks will tell you). Drop a line prior to and I can probably help with logistics. The North Country was home before I found myself stranded in Strafford County

George
Posted By: Autofive Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Another vote for the Kanc!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
love the wealth of info contained within this forum and really appreciate all the tips.

prolly change plans to fly into Boston on the 2nd, rent a lil camper van and head outa town pronto northward, take our time driving back down and if time hang out in Boston for a couple of days before back to Alaska. I know it's gonna be short this trip, but I'm hopin it's sweet, believe you guys have done me a solid for explaining when peak foliage happens.

In a perfect world I'd like to spend a month in that part of the country. Maybe we can do that the year after. All I know is I'm pleased as punch to go see some new country with my bride. And I'm extremely grateful for all the input from you guys. George I'll be in touch.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Are ya gonna stop in DC and schmooze with Lisa Pelosi?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Go kill a duck with kamo gari.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

This is good advice, though I’ve been negligent over the years!
btw that's a great shot Roger
Originally Posted by VernAK
Are ya gonna stop in DC and schmooze with Lisa Pelosi?

actually we're considering going to DC in April when the cherry blossoms are in bloom

as per Liiiissssaaa, if she's on the street and her guts are on fire, I might give her a squirt of pee if I can tell her it's from you Vernesto, but I ain't gonna hose her down and put out the fire.

I'd love to and truthfully my wife might go for it as she loves duck! But am thinkin with our limited schedule, we're gonna be hard pressed to spend much time doing much but chittin and gettin. Kind of plan on dotin on that ole gal during those days. In my book she's earned it.
Posted By: snowchaser61 Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
The peak of the foliage varies from year to year but, the farther north or higher you go in elevation the earlier it is.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
For northern VT I usually aim for the weekend that falls (pun intended) closest to Oct. 5th. Last year I was there Oct 1st and it was still green. frown
Posted By: JDK Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
The first week of October is usually peak here in northern Maine.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Second week of Oct should be fine. Kanc and MT washington are central, so you should be good unless it goes early!

Go up Rt 93, take R112/Kanc across, then up to Mt Washington hotel, stay, take the auto road up to the top.
well we may be off on our timing, the mrs. has a conference in the Minnie Apple she has to attend, we're not going to get to Boston until the 9th, renting a small motor home (couldn't find one of the lil camper vans within reasonable distance) and driving up north.

am hoping fall is a bit late for you folks this year, but regardless of what the weather brings, we'll bring good attitudes and have a good time seeing a beautiful part of this country that is new to us. If she's by my side, I can be happy.
Posted By: kingston Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18

Duck won’t be open yet, but partridge and woodcock will be up north.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Some good advice has been given. This seems to be a good site for you to reference on a couple different levels. https://www.discovernewengland.org/fall-foliage-maps

Depending on WX, including any high winds and heavy precipitation, the passing of just a week can make or break a leaf peeping trip in a specific region. As such, unless you're willing to wait to plan your trip for a specific area--and yes I understand well the cost of airfare as it relates to last minute ticketing-- it really can be a crap shoot. To offset this, I'd suggest you leave your plans sort of loose. For instance, if you'd planned to get to Acadia in Maine, but two days before you hit Boston a Nor'easter comes honking through the northern half of the gulf of Maine and takes most of the leaves down, you can easily change your plans and hit Coos county, in northern NH instead (highly recommended and NHK9's old stomping grounds). From there, you could run due west to the Northeast Kingdom of VT and then casually make your way back down in a southerly direction, jumping back and forth over the Connecticut river and NH/VT border a ways on small to medium bridges (lots of them are the old school covered variety). Coming back down you could then hang a hard left and head for the Maine coast, then come back down through the MA North Shore (see me waving here) before spending your last day or two in the city (see me waving here again).

All of New England (and NY) usually has a glorious fall foliage season, and the good news is that peak kicks off in different times depending on how north or south (generally) you plan to-- or are willing-- to run. The wild card is almost always the duration of prime time. There may be as much as a month between peak in northern Maine and say, peak in Rhode Island, but for specific areas peak leaf peeing may last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few days...

As the time gets close to your coming, feel free to hit me up. Happy to offer some specific suggestions as far as places to go and see, places to eat and if you want to spend a morning on the marsh or on a river trying for a duck or three, or maybe getting together for a coffee, or meal in the city I can make that happen too.
Posted By: kingston Re: Guys in New England - 06/15/18
Originally Posted by kingston

Duck won’t be open yet, but partridge and woodcock will be up north.

Oh, I take that back. Central opens Oct. 9 and Costal opens on the 12th.
thanks again guys, for all the helpful input.

as I stated, we're just gonna roll the dice, we may end up there when all the leaves are off the trees. (though I hope not) but we're still gonna have a good time. It's of far shorter duration than I'd like but since my wife has that conference and I'm gonna go spend my mom's b'day with her, I'm gonna be gone from home for a lil over 3 weeks as it is.

So yes, I'll be getting ready for winter here in August, cause when I get home, I imagine winter will be in full swing. Sure hope I get to meet Leighton, long been a cyber admirer of his, but I've got another old buddy in Lowell I'd like to see too, may not work out where I get together with either of them. But gonna give it a shot.

regardless, I'm sooo looking forward to seeing a lil of that part of the world with my missus.

hate to be that close and not shoot into NY to see Evil Twin, would love to see him. But if the creek don't rise, it's liable not to be our last trip to the Northeastern part of these United States.

there's so many absolutely gorgeous spots in this nation, and so many good people sprinkled throughout them. Kind of a shame we only get one life to live. Guess it's up to us to make sure it's a good one.
© 24hourcampfire