Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well finally gonna hang up my spurs on my biz and wanting to scratch some stuff off the ole bucket list.

Want to see the fall colors in New England, One area of the country we've not been to yet. We'll fly into Boston around 2nd week of October and would like to spend a couple of days in Boston. After that? It depends upon what direction you guys recommend. Should we head into New Hampshire and Connecticut? Or go west to New York. We're only going to be gone for a little over a week so don't want to try and venture too far from Boston. It's more important that we spend some quality time wherever we go rather than trying to take it all in on such a short venture.

Wife doesn't want to miss too much work cause we'll head to Kauai again in January. But we've always wanted to see the fall colors in New England. Appreciate any insight you folks that live there or have btdt can offer. TIA,

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
new hampshire. kancamagus highway is new england at its finest

Last edited by rem141r; 06/14/18.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
obliged rem141r

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the kancamagus highway.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i just reread your post. the 2nd week of oct may be a bit late. still nice though but probably past prime.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and actually, for the people who bust balls on new england, a ride on the kancamagus highway and a trip to mt washington may change their mind

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Vermont and New Hamphire are both very nice in the fall but then so are the Catskills.. I'd rate them all about even if spectacular fall scenery is what you're looking for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Well finally gonna hang up my spurs on my biz and wanting to scratch some stuff off the ole bucket list.

Want to see the fall colors in New England, One area of the country we've not been to yet. We'll fly into Boston around 2nd week of October and would like to spend a couple of days in Boston. After that? It depends upon what direction you guys recommend. Should we head into New Hampshire and Connecticut? Or go west to New York. We're only going to be gone for a little over a week so don't want to try and venture too far from Boston. It's more important that we spend some quality time wherever we go rather than trying to take it all in on such a short venture.

Wife doesn't want to miss too much work cause we'll head to Kauai again in January. But we've always wanted to see the fall colors in New England. Appreciate any insight you folks that live there or have btdt can offer. TIA,

i'm going totry and make it up there in oct, to fish and hunt with Leighton.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I can not advise on where to see what you want. But the trip at that time of year has sounded good for years. Northern Minnesota , and NW Ontario in late summer is as close as I've been.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd week of October is late for Vermont. Although last year it would've been perfect. It was an odd year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
new hampshire. kancamagus highway is new england at its finest

Yep. Then head over to Mount Washington Inn for a stunning view of the Presidential Range and a stay in a classic inn. There are lots of other old and very nice hotels with views too but we love Mt Washington.

Color can vary a lot across New England - Here's at least a little predictor https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/foliage/peak-fall-foliage-map/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go up through New Hampshire along the K highway and swing west into northern Vermont see all the colors and spend a day in Burlington which is pretty then circle back towards Boston taking route 7 south out of Burlington. It takes you through a lot of small quaint towns. Check different web sites which show what percent of peak to determine where to go. Rainy windy weather will strip the leaves early so the exact dates of peak foliage varies from year to year. The first week or two of October though is normally pretty good. Good luck and Northern New England is certainly beautiful at peak.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No expert, but a bit experienced. I would start a bit earlier, go to the top and drive from north to south - take your time - see some really nice places, as noted here by others - if you hit it right, the colors will roll with you.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add this...Vermont is a really small state but the peak foliage is rarely statewide. The local news and papers normally show a map with peak vs non peak so on any given day one can see the map and drive to where the colors are the most vivid. Hardwood trees offer the best colors with maple, oak, beech, hickory and ash so typically the mountainous ridges offer some of the best colors.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
good stuff guys, really want to spend my mom's b'day with her on Oct. 1, but may fly out the 2nd and meet my wife in Boston so we're there a bit earlier. Really appreciate all the comments.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can only echo what others have said. Peak foliage is typically the first week in Oct for northern New England. Anywhere in the white mountain forest is picturesque that time of year. North Conway has lots of places to stay, as well as shopping for the wife :-) lots of great hiking in the area as well. Make reservations early, as the leaf peepers flock to the area during early October.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
good stuff guys, really want to spend my mom's b'day with her on Oct. 1, but may fly out the 2nd and meet my wife in Boston so we're there a bit earlier. Really appreciate all the comments.

If you can catch VT in peak there is simply nothing that compares to it. Not even in New England.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Vermont and New Hamphire are both very nice in the fall but then so are the Catskills.. I'd rate them all about even if spectacular fall scenery is what you're looking for.

Yup on the Catskills. The first week of October is usually the peak of color. They don't last very long and a hard rain or dry season can have a negative result.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't seen much of the north east, but i can say that the five fingers region of New York is spectacular in the fall. Including the drive east into Massachusetts.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.