Home
Posted By: k20350 Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Currently bidding on Ebay for one of my favorite toys as a child. Sold my battle armor He-Man with the castles and a bunch of figures when I was 16 for gas money in a yard sale. What were your favorite toys as a kid. How much would they be worth to you today. I'm not even gonna lie having that plastic He-man on my desk would make me smile for the rest of my days. Grandfather was a house builder. He would cut up scraps so i had all the blocks in the world. Used to make fortresses for my he-men out of them and would always drive a remote control semi my other Grandpa bought me through the walls for my GI Joes to get through and make a fight out of it. HAHA
Tonka Trucks but that was before plastic figures or remote controlled anything.
Posted By: DMc Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Putter & later golf clubs
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.
Originally Posted by DMc
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.

The little plastic army soldiers came out when I was older.....maybe seven or eight..grin
I would stage battles between the Germans and Americans in the grass and then run the push/reel mower through it and see who survived. To this day my sister reminds me that she thought that was disturbing behavior.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by k20350
Currently bidding on Ebay for one of my favorite toys as a child. Sold my battle armor He-Man with the castles and a bunch of figures when I was 16 for gas money in a yard sale. What were your favorite toys as a kid. How much would they be worth to you today. I'm not even gonna lie having that plastic He-man on my desk would make me smile for the rest of my days. Grandfather was a house builder. He would cut up scraps so i had all the blocks in the world. Used to make fortresses for my he-men out of them and would always drive a remote control semi my other Grandpa bought me through the walls for my GI Joes to get through and make a fight out of it. HAHA

To be honest the main memories I have playing as a child was using sheep vertebra as space ships in the sixties, those and the occasional matchbox car I could get my grubby little fingers on.
I had real toys but those are what I spent most of my time playing with.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Stopped at a yard sale a few years ago. Sign said metal trucks. Went into garage no metal trucks. I asked the guy where they were and he told me he decided not to sell them. I told him damn I wanted to buy some for my son. He asks"Your going to let your son play with them?" I of course said yes they will be played with. He opened an entire huge cabinet full of metal Tonka stuff. i bought a bunch of it at very reasonable prices with the caveat that it was played with and not sold. My son had a ball with them in the sand box and now my young nephew is enjoying them in his sandbox.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18

Stopped at a yard sale a few years ago. Sign said metal trucks. Went into garage no metal trucks. I asked the guy where they were and he told me he decided not to sell them. I told him damn I wanted to buy some for my son. He asks"Your going to let your son play with them?" I of course said yes they will be played with. He opened an entire huge cabinet full of metal Tonka stuff. i bought a bunch of it at very reasonable prices with the caveat that it was played with and not sold. My son had a ball with them in the sand box and now my young nephew is enjoying them in his sandbox.

That was money well spent.
Originally Posted by DMc
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.

The little plastic army soldiers came out when I was older.....maybe seven or eight..grin
I would stage battles between the Germans and Americans in the grass and then run the push/reel mower through it and see who survived. To this day my sister reminds me that she thought that was disturbing behavior.

My One grandpa had the plastic army soldiers AND a cannon that shot big plastic shells. Be demonized today haha. Used to set the germans up and let fly with the polymer artillery. Was completely not safe and I'm sure more than one kid is blind in one eye because of those cannons but ai had a hell of a time with it.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

That was money well spent.

Indeed......believe it or not I actually played with mine in the sandbox too.....loose sand is easier to load... smile
Originally Posted by DMc
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.

I lived next to the railroad tracks. The neighborhood boys and myself one time bought some golf clubs at a neighborhood garage sale. We smacked railroad rocks with those clubs for years. Also F'd up traffic down the way jumping the tracks with some old wire we found ad setting off the flashers and arms. u can be more than a bvlock away and set off those railroad signals just sayin haha
Originally Posted by DMc
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.

My One grandpa had the plastic army soldiers AND a cannon that shot big plastic shells. Be demonized today haha. Used to set the germans up and let fly with the polymer artillery. Was completely not safe and I'm sure more than one kid is blind in one eye because of those cannons but ai had a hell of a time with it.

I had forgotten all about the cannons.....can't remember any that actually worked though.....hence the lawn mower.
It's a good thing that they seldom worked though or I'd surely be that one eyed kid you speak of.
I put together ww-2 model ships from age 6 to12.
At about 13 I assembled the fleet of about 12 ships in battle formation against each other.

I had a box of matches and thumped the matchesat them alternating from each side.

When a lit match landed on one it would eventually catch fire and burn with thick black smoke.
A great sea battle that day.
Only a couple survived but met their demise later.

Wouldn’t want them back though.

I liked board games and still have most.
And the outdoors and still have that.
Posted By: hanco Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
No toys at our house, we had work to do.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I would stage battles between the Germans and Americans in the grass and then run the push/reel mower through it and see who survived.

It's all starting to make sense now.......... grin

I would build tanks and walls for the "Guys" with my erector set.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
still got my marbles somewhere.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18

I had a few army soldiers. I really wish though that i had kept my Uncle Ben lunch box. I remember kicking it home once. I am sure it's worth $100 now. I think I had a Lassie lunch box too. I had home made bows and arrows and a BB gun and that kept me busy.
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
I put together ww-2 model ships from age 6 to12.
At about 13 I assembled the fleet of about 12 ships in battle formation against each other.

I had a box of matches and thumped the matchesat them alternating from each side.

When a lit match landed on one it would eventually catch fire and burn with thick black smoke.
A great sea battle that day.
Only a couple survived but met their demise later.

Wouldn’t want them back though.

I liked board games and still have most.
And the outdoors and still have that.

When we would build the ships, we'd put fire crackers in the hull. Then we'd light them on fire and float them out into the creek and watch them burn until they blew up. Good times.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I still recall that I had one of the original Erector Sets.. Man, the things one could put together with that item was nearly limitless...
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I don't remember having any special toys as a kid. Growing up as a Twin meant that we had to split ownership of most stuff, so we never really owned anything of our own. The only thing that comes to mind is an Erector Set that didn't come with enough parts to make anything when there is 2 kids trying to use it.

I had one Grandmother that always gave my brother and I individual stuff though. From the time we were about 6 she was big into giving us BB guns. In the middle to late 50's they made some good ones. The best one was a Crossman pump barrel. That thing was accurate and powerful. I don't think the BB guns made today can even come close to that Crossman. It was rusty and worn out when it got trashed and would not be worth anything now, but I'd love to have that Crossman BB gun.

It was great growing up in the 50’s....

- Lionel trains at Christmas
- boxes of baseball cards (had two Mickey Mantle’s)
- model gas planes (still have a Fox 35 somewhere)
- Zebco pole and reel
- Daisy BB gun
- Revell plastic plane models
- AMC plastic car models
- Plastic soldiers
- Hula hoops
- bolo bats
- yo-yos
- plastic cowboys and Indians
- a few lead soldiers and Indians
- Slinky
- Etch a Sketch
- fort with drawbridge, made in Germany. Still have it in a box in attic and it’s in great condition.
- balls, gloves and bats (hardball and whiffleball)
- not a toy, but I really enjoyed listening to my transistor radio

Legos
Hot Wheels
HO scale trains
Slot cars
Posted By: killerv Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Ha...my battle armour heman is in the attic with a few others. Dad would take me about every other friday and get me a figure. Had the castle and skeletors place with the microphone. My mother gave most every thing away. I picked up some micro machine awhile back for the kids, I had fun with those when younger. My oldest has gotten into baseball cards, he liked to had a fit when I busted out about 5k of them I had been keeping from my childhood. Mom brought me an original ertl duke of hazzard car I about wore out as a kid so she did keep a few things. Found some of my old starting lineup baseball figures too.

You reckon kids these days will long for their ipad they had 30 years from now?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Still have a few: some Matchbox army vehicles much abused by me and my sons, a Pluto puppet with a lot of the paint missing off the rubber head, a tiny ball-peen hammer from a toy tow truck's toolbox, and the lttle derringer from my Shootin' Shell belt buckle. I sawed that off the buckle when I discovered it fired at an angle instead of straight ahead. No Shootin' Shells or Stickum Caps though, dang it!

Got no desire to acquire anyone else's old toys.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I remember toy soldiers, cap pistols, marbles, but mostly my magnifying glass. Hell...I need to get another one.
Posted By: jimy Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Our BB guns were our most treasured possessions.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Still have my 60 model John Deere pedal tractor.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I've got an old black and white of me in 1959, riding a tricycle. Would love to have that thing, it probably has enough steel in it to build two modern cars.......
An electric train and a set of American logs.
My childhood era was the late 60's to about 75. For me it was Erector sets, Lincoln logs, and Lego's. It faded pretty quick though when I was old enough to be hunting or fishing by my self. Money was always very tight, and I fished, hunted and trapped pretty much non stop when not in school. There were 5 mouths to feed in our house and Dad was always working, or tending his garden, so it fell on me and my brother to do whatever we could in the way of putting some meat on the table, or money in the budget from our trapline to help the family out. When I played football, it was especially tough, as I'd have to immediately leave practice to go run the trapline. I think I probably was running on about 5 hours sleep a day.
You look at all of the high tech video games they have these days. When I was a kid, a buddy of mine went high tech and had Pong.

Posted By: Jerryv Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by Redneck
I still recall that I had one of the original Erector Sets.. Man, the things one could put together with that item was nearly limitless...

Likewise. My brother and I had one that even had an electric motor so we could power our creations.

Jerry
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Originally Posted by stxhunter
still got my marbles somewhere.

I lost all my marbles.......

Years ago.

wink
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Had this to play with back in the 1950's and 1960's. Was in my dad's truck shop. After he passed I brought it from the Georgia Coast way out to where I live now in Washington State, also on the salt water. Still use it! It is a 9x24 South Bend made prior to World War I. A nice companion to my larger lathes.

Other kids played with Lincoln Logs, I made chips!

[Linked Image]
I remember saving my money until I had enough to buy a balsa wood airplane, about 25 cents.

The one that had a rubber band that you wound up to make it fly.

I taped two firecrackers under the front wings, wound it up, lit the fuse and let it go!

What a spectacular sight for a young kid!

Balsa wood all over the sky!

Looked like the Navy just shot down a Jap Zero. (Grin!)

FUN times!

Virgil B.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Fondly remember the silver, single action revolver cap gun that took the roll caps. I think of it every time I pick up my 4 & 5/8" stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .357. In the late 1950's - early '60's I fell in love with German Lugers and even had a couple of Luger squirt guns. Wish I had at least one of 'em now. It would look cool next to the 1916 Erfurt Luger that one of my late uncles brought home from Germany in 1945 after he helped Uncle Sam clean out Germany's V-2 rocket factory. At about age 10 I think my dad was finally convinced to let me get a BB gun; until my mom heard about it and that whole idea got put on a back burner. In the early 60's when you could still buy rifles through the mail, my friends & I saw an ad for ( IIRC); old South American Mausers (?) in .30-06 that were going for about $9. 95 or $12.95 or so. We wanted to pool our money and get one except we couldn't find someone to receive it for us and we couldn't have it sent to any of our parents address's.
Posted By: edk Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Got a bow and arrow set for Christmas. My buddy and I hunted intensely with it for several years. Also had a pair of pants with the pocket bottom cut out. Lol Ed k
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I had hundreds of those plastic soldiers, including tanks and artillery as a lad. Had many epic battles with them.
Most of them ended up casualties to .22 LR later on.
I had tons of Hot Wheels too. Mom used to get me one or two every week when she went grocery shopping.
I didn't test any ballistics on them. A great big box of them went to my nieces and nephews. Unfortunately, they ended up buried in the sandbox or run over by the lawnmower.
As a teenager, I had the best toys of anybody! Real live running cars in Dad's auto salvage! My brother and I re-enacted many of Burt Reynolds car chases.
Between the cars and the guns and hunting, I wouldn't swap childhoods with any prince!
7mm
Estes rockets.

Whenever we had one that was screwed up and wouldn't fly right, we'd fill them up with black powder and glue the nose cone on. If our parents knew we were building flying bombs, they wouldn't have been too happy.
Always wanted one, never got it.

P
Originally Posted by DMc
Violence toys...
Cork popgun
Plastic Swords
Sticks
Robin Hood staff
Army soldiers
Tonka Trucks
Football
Baseball
Volleyball
Bow & Arrows
Snorkel
8mm film camera..
Etc.

I've got my toy cannon that fires the plastic projectile. It's about 3 feet long. I had forgotten about it but found it in my Parents attic while helping them get ready for their auction.
I've also got my Dad's toy truck that his Dad made for him... my Dad was born in 1920 so it's really old... looks like a Model T with a little dump bed.
The last two battle scarred survivors of the Great Playground War. These two are all that is left of a couple of battalions of Germans and Americans along with attached units of oddball two dimensional British, Union and Confederate troops. The war lasted from approx. 1957 to somewhere around 1964 when the great omnipotent ruler of their Universe grew hair in unexpected places and turned his attention elsewhere.

These two were found on a scouting expedition of the battlefield some 30 years later. The American is armed with an M14, not exactly authentic to the same historical period as the German AT soldier, but the space-time continuum as well as strategic alliances were fuzzy back then so British Redcoats could have battled combined units of Union and Confederate troops and a German platoon could very well have been destroyed by an M-60 flame thrower tank armed with lighter fluid and a purloined book of matches.

[Linked Image]
Back in the latter 1980's when my son was young; the monster truck craze was in full swing and he; like most other little kids then, was crazy about monster trucks. All the monster truck stuff he had back then is gone but I still have a few of the "Hot Wheels" monster trucks like "Bigfoot" and "USA 1" that I secretly bought back then and tucked away and never told him. They are still unopened in the blister packs and someday I'll give them to him. Bought them thinking if I keep them unopened they may be worth more someday and he could sell them or just display them in the original blister packs. They'll never appreciate into any serious money but they are still cool to look at..... Mint condition, unopened, a real flashback for kids from that era. They even bring back lots of memories for me, as I recall that era well and used to take my son to some of those monster truck shows.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I loved the hand crank Evel Knievel toys. I had the motorcycle, chopper, dragster and funny car. Great toys. I had a lot of GI Joe stuff too. My son likes playing with my old GI Joes now
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Still have a few: some Matchbox army vehicles much abused by me and my sons, a Pluto puppet with a lot of the paint missing off the rubber head, a tiny ball-peen hammer from a toy tow truck's toolbox, and the lttle derringer from my Shootin' Shell belt buckle. I sawed that off the buckle when I discovered it fired at an angle instead of straight ahead. No Shootin' Shells or Stickum Caps though, dang it!

Got no desire to acquire anyone else's old toys.

I too had one of those derringers and belt buckles but they are long gone. I do have a few plastic projectiles that I think are for it. They are round nosed and gray about the color of gray primer and look like they snapped into a casing. Does that sound like what your's had.
If so and if I can find them I could send them to you as I have no use for them.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
For Christmas 1957, big sister got a Gilbert chemistry set full of different chemicals. She had absolutely had no interest in the thing and gave it to me, which surprised me as she always ran me out of her room if she caught me listening to her Spike Jones records. The chemistry set had all the reagents for making gunpowder. I never got the ratio's right, but for a 8 year old kid, I did get a few batches to light off. I would sometimes wake my middle sister up in the mornings with a shot from my Carbide Cannon. A beating from her usually ensued, but it was worth it to see the little harpy jump straight up in bed.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18

My old man was a mechanic for an excavation/site work company. Once a year he would back a dump truck into the yard at home and dump 3-4 yards of screened and washed sand under the shade trees by the side of the driveway. We four boys would spend most of the year playing in it with our extensive Tonka collection 'dozing, grading and compacting. By the time we were old enough to drive, there was a small parking lot for the second and third cars that we drove. It has occured to me that the old man had a goal in mind when he brought that sand home, but we just thought it was Chirstmas all over again!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Had GI Joe stuff. Other than that I built a lot of stuff out of wood, probably tanks etc... had a bike. BB gun, 22s, shotguns.

Could really care less about the "toys" anymore. Thats past, don't have an urge to see or have em back. OTOH I still like building stuff and the guns.

I may change my mind as I get older.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
G.I. Joes, Tonka Trucks, Hot Wheels. Baseball gloves, bats and balls.
I had this. It was nowhere near as tough as a Tonka Truck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-CORGI-270-JAMES-BOND-007-Aston-Martin-D-B-5-Die-Cast-1960s/112865471068?hash=item1a474e6a5c:g:X~4AAOSwX2xapzK4
Posted By: nathanial Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Sticks, rocks, mud, mules and some WW2 gear like U.S. and German helmets.
Even though I never got that BB gun back then my dad did give me his old Mod. 67 Winchester .22 single shot bolt gun..... Which he had since the latter 1930's and which had stopped working in the latter 1940's. A gunsmith told him it would cost more to fix than the gun was worth so dad just put it in the closet and forgot about it. So eventually I got to play with a "real" .22 even if it couldn't fire. I was in my 20's before I got around to seeing if it could be fixed...... It was nothing more than what is a simple leaf type spring, ( sear spring IIRC) and it works fine and accurately to this day. I know .22's were cheap in the latter 1940's but still find it hard to believe how that gunsmith could condemn that old .22.... Sounds as though he just didn't want to be bothered.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18

Had a pair of chrome plated pot-metal cowboy cap pistols and a two-gun leather holster I was pretty proud of. Both guns are long gone but still have the 2-gun holster. The holster is 100% real leather, tooled and dyed with shiny metal buckle and conchos, no plastic whatsoever,

Started out playing with cowboys and Indian toy figures before Army men (they came later on). Used to pile up mom's blankets and quilts like mountain ranges in western and army movies. Spent many hours hiding the figures in the wrinkles, set up ambushes and shoot-outs.

Mom ordered me a Howdy Doody ventriloquist puppet when I was around 8-9 years old that I had been wanting a whole lot. That one's long gone too but 30-ish years ago wife bought me a replica of it that I still have.

My all time favorite "toy" to play with, though, were my dogs.

Posted By: RickyD Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
I had lots of Army guns and supporting pieces like helmets and grenades. Even had a 30 cal on a tripod the flashhider went in and out and lit up as you shot it and it made automatic fire sounds. In the neighborhood there was lots of construction going on so we used the hills of dirt to play Army on. Also had a Lionel train set with a guided missile car and exploding box car. Lots of Army figurines, tanks, vehicles etc. I used the ping pong table to set up battle fields and a daisy air rifle to shoot them down. Cowboy stuff too. Mom couldn't figure out where I got to liking guns so much! lol I also put together car, plane and boat models. Also liked working on construction projects with various kits, like lincoln logs and other building kits.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Magnifying glass, ants
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Still have my 1950's Lionel train set.
Erector set
Lincoln Logs
Those rockets you would fill with water and pump up.
Lawn darts (with a point)
pop guns
marbles
balsa gliders
kites
cap guns and cowboy getup
go carts made from old lawn mower engines
plastic army men
bows and arrows
butterfly nets
ladyfinger firecrackers

Fun times
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Had a model railroad set. Got bored with that, but used the leads from the transformer as sort of an "arc welder" tool to melt toy soldiers and plastic cars, boats and airplanes into grotesque shapes to simulate battle damage. Transformer burned out after awhile, but it was fun while it lasted!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
We were relatively poor, so most entertainment came from the Tenn out of doors. The old baseball glove and perhaps one of our old electricians tape wrapped baseballs would being a smile to my face. We also caught a satisfying number of warm water fish with our sticks, kite string, and (is it possible) bent straight pins for hooks. Those were innocent and really great days where adults were rarely involved in our daily entertainment. Just had to make it home for supper.

Presently have a coworker who is rebuilding his for real lead soldier collection.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
Slot cars
those rocket kits
Not really toys, but the car and plane models that you put together
Big Wheel when little
cap guns
Star Wars toys - millennial falcon etc
Hot Wheels
Those heavy duty metal tractors I'd get from the Ford Tractor dealership
My Mongoose bicycle
The lunar rover toy on tang bottles 1971.
Amazing what they go for as a collectable now.

Hot wheels factory
Upper and lower metal molds,put a set of wheels in the moulds
Drop solid plastic in the heater top.
Pull the lever molten plastic flow into mold and harden

Toy was out for 1 Christmas, probably cause kids burnt the crap outta themselves with molten plastic.

Late 60,s early 70,s GI JOE stuff.

Daisy red Ryder

Fiber glass bow

Made ww2 German armor 1/35 scale models my 3rd time in Korea 04-05.
Spent a year as a armed document courier on 2ID general staff.
Didn't have much too do outside of Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.

Posted By: blanket Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/11/18
my dads WW2 field gear and helmet, BB and pellet guns, fireworks, footballs and baseball gear. How many of you shot strike anywhere matches out of a bb gun against hard stuff.
Used ta shoot em outta a modified clothes pin at my little brother.
That and semi kid level water boarded his azz when he was 4 in the wading pool.

Todd never learned to swim. I told him why about a decade ago.
Hahaahaaa!!!!
Posted By: colodog Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/12/18
My dear brother and I pooled our nickles and bought a Cox Dune buggy, we never bothered with the airplanes.

The dune buggy would get stuck in grass so we made studded tires with the rubber straps from dad's sling shot and a bunch of thumb tacks.

We were impressed, Dad, not so much.
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/12/18
What my twin brother (Mathsr) said holds true for me too. We did have some fun stuff that having a brother just made it more fun.

We would occasionally get a dirt pile. This was a load of dirt dumped in the backyard that was taller than we were. You can't imagine the things that come to the mind of a 6 year old when he is faced with a mountain of just good old dirt. Enough for all the guys in the neighborhood to all play on at one time. We buried one friend up to his shoulders once. Wasn't easy to get him out.

We also had a donkey. He looked like one of these cute little burrows with the gray body and black shoulder stripe but almost as large as a small mule. Tough as a tank and would cary three kids at a time. We put a lot of miles on that donkey and he loved children. He had no use at all for an adult, which was fine with us. We lived in town at the time and he found us at school a few times. We would just tie him to the bike rack until one of us could ride him home.

Never had a Tonka Toy, GI Joe was a doll, single speed bikes were the norm, baseballs were the standard gift at birthday parties, and from first grade on a pocket knife in your pocket all the time.

We thought life was good.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/12/18
With just a tiny bit of creativity, it's possible to fabricate a very satisfying Tommy gun from an old broom handle.
Posted By: DMc Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/12/18
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Still have my 1950's Lionel train set.
Erector set
Lincoln Logs
Those rockets you would fill with water and pump up.
Lawn darts (with a point)
pop guns
marbles
balsa gliders
kites
cap guns and cowboy getup
go carts made from old lawn mower engines
plastic army men
bows and arrows
butterfly nets
ladyfinger firecrackers

Fun times

OMG those were fun! Until they landed in an irretrievable place...

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Toys from your childhood - 09/12/18
calichie rocks.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Magnifying glass, ants

LOLOL
Why am I not surprised?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The last two battle scarred survivors of the Great Playground War. These two are all that is left of a couple of battalions of Germans and Americans along with attached units of oddball two dimensional British, Union and Confederate troops. The war lasted from approx. 1957 to somewhere around 1964 when the great omnipotent ruler of their Universe grew hair in unexpected places and turned his attention elsewhere.

These two were found on a scouting expedition of the battlefield some 30 years later. The American is armed with an M14, not exactly authentic to the same historical period as the German AT soldier, but the space-time continuum as well as strategic alliances were fuzzy back then so British Redcoats could have battled combined units of Union and Confederate troops and a German platoon could very well have been destroyed by an M-60 flame thrower tank armed with lighter fluid and a purloined book of matches.

[Linked Image]

Kudos!
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Originally Posted by blanket
my dads WW2 field gear and helmet, BB and pellet guns, fireworks, footballs and baseball gear. How many of you shot strike anywhere matches out of a bb gun against hard stuff.

Not matches out of BB guns, but primers out of slingshots....yes, primers; before I even knew what they really were made for.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
One little wonder when I was 8 or 9 was a crystal radio that looked like a tiny tabletop radio. Pure magic. Crystal radios still seem like magic.
Tops and marbles
followed by a "Fanner Fifty"
At 7 years old, I drove an 8N Ford, and got a Winchester 67A boys carbine for my birthday
(Parents never would let me have a BB gun)
Pushing dozers @ 12
loaders around the same time
Girls at around 15

DAMN - "The Warden" is right - boys NEVER grow up !!!!! smile smile smile
Posted By: EdM Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Legos
Hot Wheels
HO scale trains
Slot cars

This. I sold my Hot Wheels in 1995 for $450 to a collector.
Posted By: javman Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Cork pop guns were freaking cool. I remember stacking the snap caps on top of each other to get more velocity out of the cork round balls!
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
He- Man, Transformers, and micro machines were the toys of my childhood. Last Christmas I gave my 4yr old son a big box of my old He-Man figures, and he loved them. He plays with them just about every day. I bought a dvd of the old cartoons and I think I enjoy them as much as he does.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Silly boy, when wa the last time the Warden was wrong?

BTW.............we should all be very thankful for the toys we had s kids, just remember poor old Ingwe he nothing but rocks to play with.......
Posted By: DMc Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Silly boy, when wa the last time the Warden was wrong?

BTW.............we should all be very thankful for the toys we had s kids, just remember poor old Ingwe he nothing but rocks to play with.......

Hilarious! Poor Ingwe....
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Toys from your childhood - 10/02/18
Originally Posted by stxhunter
calichie rocks.

Caliche! wow, you were one of the rich kids, we had to wait for the other kids to throw rocks at us first.

My real favorite was getting new skis and boots every few years.

mike r
Who else remembers the old pump guns that shot ping-pong balls?
my cousin had a couple - epic wars !
© 24hourcampfire