Home
Posted By: Alagator Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
This is what it looks like when a major storm crashes into a beach community. (apologies if this clip is redundant).

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
I was there not long ago. The town is all but destroyed.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
My prayers for everyone impacted by the hurricane. Seeing those pictures reminds me of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Riding a hurricane out is something I never want to do again.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18

best wishes to all the residents.......

Trump will be there !
Posted By: ronc Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Yep, i remember Katrina like it was yesterday, not fun at all.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Originally Posted by Hudge
My prayers for everyone impacted by the hurricane. Seeing those pictures reminds me of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Riding a hurricane out is something I never want to do again.

Some folks never learn from the past, Hudge and you always have those who think a State’s leadership is only crying wolf. Lots of that.

Then,,,of course, you have the “tuff guys “ who are going to stick it out.

As long as gasoline and diesel burns, folks need to get out of harms way. Sad when they don’t and even sadder when they can’t.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
2 miles per hour below a Cat 5 storm,,,,shiit that's fake news footage there, nothing to worry about.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
I'm surprised it's still there. Panama City, etc is nothing but sand bars.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Damn.......Used to go camp and fish a lot between St Andrews and Mexico Beach when I was a kid. Love that area.

Sounds like most of the folks west of there got off relativity easy?
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
I wonder if TLee is still in Florida. A year or so ago he was traveling north to avoid a hurricane and basically said he was getting too old to run for his life and was going to migrate to a daughters place or some such thing.

Haven't noticed a post from him for awhile. Maybe he's busy herding his cats... I think he was having some health issues like a lot of us. Don't know him but miss his posts and humor.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
I wonder if TLee is still in Florida. A year or so ago he was traveling north to avoid a hurricane and basically said he was getting too old to run for his life and was going to migrate to a daughters place or some such thing.

Haven't noticed a post from him for awhile. Maybe he's busy herding his cats... I think he was having some health issues like a lot of us. Don't know him but miss his posts and humor.

I, too, have wondered about Ole T. It would be good to hear from him here.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
What a mess. I can't imagine dealing with that. I'm counting myself blessed today.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Build on a beach...your going to it to get it at some point .....if u build on a freeway ,don't be surprised if one day u end up a sail cat....just sayin
Posted By: BLG Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/11/18
Most of those images are the aftermath. Imagine the storm surge that deposited the debris on top of the road and bridges and far inland. I know for Katrina, in one of the places that I fish, the storm surge was in excess of 18ft. I personally witnessed washing machines and debris in the tops of what trees remained, and on top of boat slips with really high roofs. It's hard to fathom looking up from the deck of my boat, and seeing debris that high up. It's surreal.

Wish them the best. It will be a years long recovery.

Clyde
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
FOX News drone video of Tyndell AFB/Panama City
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Sad situation. Our church is still working to help folks from the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. Now we have Florence to deal with, in eastern N.C. and S.C. I’m not sure how we will get down there to help with Michael. I’m sure that we will at least send funds. Got hurricane fatigue around here right now. Living in the Carolinas is typically a pretty sweet deal. Right now.....not so much. Prayers for the fine folks in Florida.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
I cant imagine homes blown awsy and 2 story motels and apts still left standing after 150 mph.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Here in flyover country, (Minnesota) we get some bad winter weather, but I'll take my chances with our cold and snow in stead of what these folks in Florida are going through. I'm a very lucky man to have not had to experience that first hand. Prayers and best wishes sent to all those impacted by this killer storm. Mother Nature can be a really nasty bitch when she wants to be.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Best of luck to them, hurricanes are devastating.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Sad situation. Our church is still working to help folks from the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. Now we have Florence to deal with, in eastern N.C. and S.C. I’m not sure how we will get down there to help with Michael. I’m sure that we will at least send funds. Got hurricane fatigue around here right now. Living in the Carolinas is typically a pretty sweet deal. Right now.....not so much. Prayers for the fine folks in Florida.

Don't worry disaster relief teams from the entire northeast are rushing down there. All kidding aside, Prayers to all those people, I have been thru these things and they are beyond belief.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
That's just awful. I pray for those poor people who last their homes, and in some cases, lost loved ones in that storm. This shows just how unpredictable these hurricanes can be, as this one went from a tropical storm to one of the worst ever recorded in a very short time.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Can't believe they still had jets at Tyndall!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Bad days ahead for those folks, hope they catch a break along the way.

Off on a wee tangent, one might have noticed that most of the palms were still standing as were a fair number of structures that appear to be recent construction. Without trying to sound like a wiseass, construction codes matter. The palms figured out a long time ago how to survive tropical storms. People seem to think that frame construction and flimsy roofs are immune. These things can be survived intact, but what you saw in the videos illustrates how to not do it. Move to Florida, live on the beach side, make sure your manpants are hitched up tight.
Famous last words "I'm gonna ride this one out".
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
From what I've seen on the news, hurricane is more correctly spelled t-o-r-n-a-d-o. What a mess.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Those jets you refer to are relics that were on static display. Not so much static for a brief spell. One that puzzled me was the three MU-2 turbos that were left in the hangar. Rice Rocket lives don't matter?
Posted By: killerv Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Prayers for them. Was just there in August, our charter guy got his boat out of there before the storm.
Posted By: deflave Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Those jets you refer to are relics that were on static display. Not so much static for a brief spell. One that puzzled me was the three MU-2 turbos that were left in the hangar. Rice Rocket lives don't matter?

Yeah I was gonna say, I don't think .gov was gonna leave any F-22's layin' around that area.
Anything build to the codes after Andrew has done pretty good. I been through 3 major hurricanes and really no major damage in any of the houses I was in. Screen enclosures , aluminum carports and porches get their but kicked. Old structures especially large metal ones like boat storage at marinas get hammered as well. Most of them either have no doors or loose the doors in the storm. Once that wind gets inside its game over.
If you notice the weather channel will always find a gas station awning at covers the pumps toppled over. Buildings are engineered to withstand minimum 140 mph wind. They do well. But if you have a rotten roof your likely to get some damage. Down south we dont have any snow or ice to cull leak limbs on trees. So if you havent had a considerable storm in 10 or 20 years you will lose limbs and trees. Some damage is caused by those falling limbs. Up to Cat 4 I feel pretty good staying in place but Cat 5 I would consider leaving. Tough to evacuate in South Florida.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Dan ,

One thing that is a huge problem is corrrosion of the fasteners thoughout a house . Most people don't know that regular nails driven into treated wood will corrode and fail pretty quickly . Code is ''green plate'' = treated wood - that sits on the slab/foundation . Any type metal used in todays construction will corrode away in short order especially when right on the beach .

I've seen stainless , faux brass any and every type of material that can be purchased - metal doors hinges/knobs eaten up by the salty beachfront air .
Seen the fastener clips that connect the wall studs to the top/bottom plate doing little more than sitting there , allthread rods that are embedded into the slab rusted to hades .
A 25 year old beachfront structure isn't what it was when it passed inspection 25 years ago .

Rock Chuck ,

Saltwater tornado ! smile
Mike, I don't disagree with you about fastener durability, but point out the issue can be bypassed with the expenditure of very little thought. Most structures, including housing on Guam and for that matter, many down in the Florida Keys are built of steel reinforced concrete, to include the roofs. They are, for the most part, bullet proof. On Guam the construction included interlocking aluminum in lieu of glass jalousies. They won't stop a 200 mph wheel barrow but they will slow it down a lot. Those structures get a good pounding every year or so, CAT4, sometimes a 5. They been standing for over 50 years.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Yep , expensive to build though .

Look how many Poured Block masonry houses still stand after 50-60 years , but a 200mph wheel barrow would have did them in . smile
Cost more in the short view but are much cheaper in the long haul. Kinda like my Rolex that has been ticking right along since 1969 w/o interruption. Granted, it is on its second wrist band.
I seriously doubt a block house costs more then a stick built home and especially considering the amount of steel brackets that are involved. with a stickbuilt one as opposed to masonry. The Roof will have strapping just like a stick built home .
Posted By: deflave Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Mike, I don't disagree with you about fastener durability, but point out the issue can be bypassed with the expenditure of very little thought. Most structures, including housing on Guam and for that matter, many down in the Florida Keys are built of steel reinforced concrete, to include the roofs. They are, for the most part, bullet proof. On Guam the construction included interlocking aluminum in lieu of glass jalousies. They won't stop a 200 mph wheel barrow but they will slow it down a lot. Those structures get a good pounding every year or so, CAT4, sometimes a 5. They been standing for over 50 years.

This is something I've said for years. When I was in Okinawa and Thailand there were buildings that were built to last, and huts. The ones built to last never had a scratch. Every fugkin' tree had 4-6 lines securing it in position. When hurricanes (cyclones I think they called them over there) would hit that schitty little island all anyone did the next day was break out the push brooms and go back to work.

I actually found a buddy in the Keys a couple weeks back (that I thought was dead) and he was showing me that his brick schithouse went unscathed, while those around him turned into scrap wood quick.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Friend of mine years ago built his house in Homestead, Fl. before Andrew hit. He was out of town when it came through with his
family in the hurricane hole he built in the center of the house. When his wife walked out the next morning, their house was the ONLY house still standing as far as she could see. When he got home and looked around he realized he lost 3 shingles off the roof and was pissed at that. Asked him what he did different and how much more it cost: " instead of 2x4's, used 2x6's, instead of 2 nails on each shingle, used 4, instead of one bracket holding walls to roof, used 2 or 3, etc." how much more? about $2,500.....
it can be done. His wife was never the same though, they moved to Alaska soon thereafter!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Not much happens in Oregon, but I'm pretty sure the cost of homeowners here helps rebuild there.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18

Those jets you refer to are relics that were on static display. . . .

I think Tyrone was referring to the jets, inside the hangar, that were destroyed. They either didn't have enough pilots to ferry them out or they were not in flyable condition.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Maybe a good time to go down and look for investment properties. When the F5 tornado went through Joplin, you could buy the bare lots for pennies on the dollar.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I seriously doubt a block house costs more then a stick built home and especially considering the amount of steel brackets that are involved. with a stickbuilt one as opposed to masonry. The Roof will have strapping just like a stick built home .

The costs are comparable, with the masonry frame costing a bit more. Figure in lower insurance and energy costs, and the lifecycle costs turn in favor of the masonry frame design. The Carolina Concrete Masonry Association has been promoting this for many years, with limited success. Everyone gets complacent until a big storm hits.
Posted By: Alagator Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not much happens in Oregon, but I'm pretty sure the cost of homeowners here helps rebuild there.

If the damage was wind, the insurance company (and all its policyholders) has to foot the bill. Some companies won't issue new homeowner policies in Florida. If the damage was due to rising water, the damage is covered by a separate flood insurance policy that is subsidized by the Feds (and all taxpayers). So either way, we pay for expensive beachfront property development. The Fed program was supposed to pay for itself thru premiums, but (as of 2017) it was $25 billion in debt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Flood_Insurance_Program
Posted By: Steve Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18

Columbus day storm. I was only 2, but still hear the oldsters talk about it.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The costs are comparable, with the masonry frame costing a bit more. Figure in lower insurance and energy costs, and the lifecycle costs turn in favor of the masonry frame design. The Carolina Concrete Masonry Association has been promoting this for many years, with limited success. Everyone gets complacent until a big storm hits.

My brother builds either stick, block or poured depending on the architect or designer plans. He has built a few insulblock homes and the latest home he is working on is 3500 square foot with poured concrete walls,floors and roof with a swimming pool on the second story. Only wood in the house is the interior wall partitions, cabinets and trim work. When I retire I will buy either an old block home and have him renovate it or scratch built masonry house.
Posted By: Alagator Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Maybe a good time to go down and look for investment properties. When the F5 tornado went through Joplin, you could buy the bare lots for pennies on the dollar.

You will have to outbid the big condo builders. After each catastrophic landfall, they rebuild with more condos and fewer single family units. In the past 50 years, post-hurricane development has transformed the Gulf Coast from a string of sleepy fishing villages into hundreds of miles of beach-front high rises. In the 1960s you could buy a 100 foot wide beachfront lot in Orange Beach Alabama for $10,000. Today that empty lot would set you back over $1 million. As a result, the working people can no longer afford to live anywhere near the beach.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
"And what sorrow awaits you Philistines who live along the coast and in the land of Canaan, for this judgment is against you, too! The LORD will destroy you until not one of you is left."
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by Steve

Columbus day storm. I was only 2, but still hear the oldsters talk about it.

Today is the anniversary of that storm, October 12, 1962.

So yeah, I guess something happened in Oregon before I was born. LOL. Hopefully the poor insurance companies have recovered from the damages claims by now. As if anyone had insurance in 1962.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I think Tyrone was referring to the jets, inside the hangar, that were destroyed. They either didn't have enough pilots to ferry them out or they were not in flyable condition.
I don't know the difference! laugh
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Mexico Beach, Florida - 10/12/18
Originally Posted by Alagator
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

You will have to outbid the big condo builders. After each catastrophic landfall, they rebuild with more condos and fewer single family units. In the past 50 years, post-hurricane development has transformed the Gulf Coast from a string of sleepy fishing villages into hundreds of miles of beach-front high rises. In the 1960s you could buy a 100 foot wide beachfront lot in Orange Beach Alabama for $10,000. Today that empty lot would set you back over $1 million. As a result, the working people can no longer afford to live anywhere near the beach.

And if you already own a lot there, and the condo or McMansion builders surround you, the property taxes will run you out. I lived at Wrightsville Beach, NC from the mid-50's to the mid-60's, before the boom hit. Personally know numerous families gave up their beach homes (primary residences) to move into Wilmington because property taxes got so high.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Those are not jets in the hangar. They may or may not be military but I'm not aware the USAF ever purchased any MU2 aircraft from Mitusbishi. It may not be located at Tyndall. There are numerous airports in the area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire