Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not much happens in Oregon, but I'm pretty sure the cost of homeowners here helps rebuild there.

If the damage was wind, the insurance company (and all its policyholders) has to foot the bill. Some companies won't issue new homeowner policies in Florida. If the damage was due to rising water, the damage is covered by a separate flood insurance policy that is subsidized by the Feds (and all taxpayers). So either way, we pay for expensive beachfront property development. The Fed program was supposed to pay for itself thru premiums, but (as of 2017) it was $25 billion in debt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Flood_Insurance_Program

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much happens in Oregon, but I'm pretty sure the cost of homeowners here helps rebuild there.

Columbus day storm. I was only 2, but still hear the oldsters talk about it.

Carpe' Scrotum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I seriously doubt a block house costs more then a stick built home and especially considering the amount of steel brackets that are involved. with a stickbuilt one as opposed to masonry. The Roof will have strapping just like a stick built home .

The costs are comparable, with the masonry frame costing a bit more. Figure in lower insurance and energy costs, and the lifecycle costs turn in favor of the masonry frame design. The Carolina Concrete Masonry Association has been promoting this for many years, with limited success. Everyone gets complacent until a big storm hits.

My brother builds either stick, block or poured depending on the architect or designer plans. He has built a few insulblock homes and the latest home he is working on is 3500 square foot with poured concrete walls,floors and roof with a swimming pool on the second story. Only wood in the house is the interior wall partitions, cabinets and trim work. When I retire I will buy either an old block home and have him renovate it or scratch built masonry house.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Maybe a good time to go down and look for investment properties. When the F5 tornado went through Joplin, you could buy the bare lots for pennies on the dollar.

You will have to outbid the big condo builders. After each catastrophic landfall, they rebuild with more condos and fewer single family units. In the past 50 years, post-hurricane development has transformed the Gulf Coast from a string of sleepy fishing villages into hundreds of miles of beach-front high rises. In the 1960s you could buy a 100 foot wide beachfront lot in Orange Beach Alabama for $10,000. Today that empty lot would set you back over $1 million. As a result, the working people can no longer afford to live anywhere near the beach.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"And what sorrow awaits you Philistines who live along the coast and in the land of Canaan, for this judgment is against you, too! The LORD will destroy you until not one of you is left."

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

Columbus day storm. I was only 2, but still hear the oldsters talk about it.

Today is the anniversary of that storm, October 12, 1962.

So yeah, I guess something happened in Oregon before I was born. LOL. Hopefully the poor insurance companies have recovered from the damages claims by now. As if anyone had insurance in 1962.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Can't believe they still had jets at Tyndall!

Those jets you refer to are relics that were on static display. . . .
I think Tyrone was referring to the jets, inside the hangar, that were destroyed. They either didn't have enough pilots to ferry them out or they were not in flyable condition.
I don't know the difference! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Alagator
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Maybe a good time to go down and look for investment properties. When the F5 tornado went through Joplin, you could buy the bare lots for pennies on the dollar.

You will have to outbid the big condo builders. After each catastrophic landfall, they rebuild with more condos and fewer single family units. In the past 50 years, post-hurricane development has transformed the Gulf Coast from a string of sleepy fishing villages into hundreds of miles of beach-front high rises. In the 1960s you could buy a 100 foot wide beachfront lot in Orange Beach Alabama for $10,000. Today that empty lot would set you back over $1 million. As a result, the working people can no longer afford to live anywhere near the beach.

And if you already own a lot there, and the condo or McMansion builders surround you, the property taxes will run you out. I lived at Wrightsville Beach, NC from the mid-50's to the mid-60's, before the boom hit. Personally know numerous families gave up their beach homes (primary residences) to move into Wilmington because property taxes got so high.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Can't believe they still had jets at Tyndall!

Those jets you refer to are relics that were on static display. . . .

I think Tyrone was referring to the jets, inside the hangar, that were destroyed. They either didn't have enough pilots to ferry them out or they were not in flyable condition.

Those are not jets in the hangar. They may or may not be military but I'm not aware the USAF ever purchased any MU2 aircraft from Mitusbishi. It may not be located at Tyndall. There are numerous airports in the area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.