Home
KNOWING they closed at 9:00 and were 20 minutes from the house. Told them I needed rear pads and rotors for a Chevy Tahoe with DUAL piston calipers. No problem they said, come right over they said...

Now why am I sitting here with the right rotors and SINGLE piston pads...

Guess I'll find out when they open up in the morning.
Because AutoZone sucks and so do the idiots that work there.
Needed a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford. Called O'Reilly, they ordered it. It's in the next day. Get to the counter, he brings it out, theres a friggin picture on the box with the passenger side headlight marked as contents in box. I spin it around and said look they even drew you a picture and you still got it wrong! 50 miles round trip, got to do it again the next day.
If there are 2 options, you have a 90% chance being given the wrong one.
This has happened in nearly every industry. In an effort to maximize profits the wise management types have put out open calls to anyone with a pulse to fill the job. They don't bother attempting to see if such individual has ANY scope of the actual work or product being made/sold, they are more concerned with what restroom their will use, can they sue if people cannot remember what gender they are that day, or whatever, other bullshit is being upheld. It's the same reason why home improvement stores no longer have any older guys who know what the fack one needs from the most basic explanation as well as how to get it done with the tools available. In my union there exists a clause for the retirement package that once retired the individual will not work 'in the trade', well about two decades ago they amended that rule to include working in any capacity that includes the common materials of our trade. So retired Master Electricians who've been dealing with electrical issues for 40+ years are no longer allowed to stock shelves, answer questions, or be engaged in sales of any department of any store that sells electrical equipment, devices or hardware. This means that the guy with the most knowledge on fixing a simple issue with your fan, breaker, outlet, or spa pump works in the paint or garden department if he wants something to do for 24 hours a week. It is my understanding that ALL of the major trade unions have adopted these policies, and that is why you can no longer go to any home improvement store with a non-functioning part, and a story to walking out with the plan and parts to fix it.
NAPA always does a better job getting parts correct for me. AutoZone can't do anything correct!
NAPA always does a better job getting parts correct for me. AutoZone can't do anything correct!
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
KNOWING they closed at 9:00 and were 20 minutes from the house. Told them I needed rear pads and rotors for a Chevy Tahoe with DUAL piston calipers. No problem they said, come right over they said...

I have found the way to consistently get poor service is purposefully show up at a business at closing time. YMMV
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I have found the way to consistently get poor service is purposefully show up at a business at closing time. YMMV

Earliest I could get there, got home from working out of town, tore it down and went to get the needed parts.

Earliest I could get there, got home from working out of town, tore it down and went to get the needed parts.

Yeah, been there, done that. Just hate showing up at closing time because I know those guys are just trying to get out the door, same as me at work when it's time to go.

Yeah, been there, done that. Just hate showing up at closing time because I know those guys are just trying to get out the door, same as me at work when it's time to go.

It's a pain from the employees view perhaps, if they're only getting paid until closing. I certainly understand not wanting to work past when you're being paid.

But from a customer's standpoint, as a business if you don't want folks coming in at 9:50 when you close at 10:00................................................. then don't f'n advertise "open until 10:00".

Or have your employees close/lock the door 10 minutes before "closing", open it open, closed is closed. Plain English, right?

I get grumpy about that crap, and if they're open, service should be the same any time there's a person at the counter.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

It's a pain from the employees view perhaps, if they're only getting paid until closing. I certainly understand not wanting to work past when you're being paid.

But from a customer's standpoint, as a business if you don't want folks coming in at 9:50 when you close at 10:00................................................. then don't f'n advertise "open until 10:00".

Or have your employees close/lock the door 10 minutes before "closing", open it open, closed is closed. Plain English, right?

I get grumpy about that crap, and if they're open, service should be the same any time there's a person at the counter.

Geno

Most advertise close at 10. Dont bring me 20 minutes worth of work 1 minute before we close. I get grumpy about that crap. If we close at 10, you should plan to be out by 10.

I purposefully don't go shopping at closing time because I tend to limit my [bleep].

Where do you work? I might want to come visit at closing time, just to chat. smile

Mostly though, any job that deals with the public sucks, because too much of the public is nothing more than [bleep], even at closing time.

But, as i said before, I expect the worst customer service at closing time, so I avoid it.

Geno

Most advertise close at 10. Dont bring me 20 minutes worth of work 1 minute before we close. I get grumpy about that crap.

I purposefully don't go shopping at closing time because I tend to limit my [bleep].

Depending on the circumstances, as the OP mentioned, it can't be avoided.

If someone brings you 20 minutes of work 1 minute before closing time and it is a bother, then advertise "we accept work until 20 minutes before closing" or similar.

If you're an employee, then you should work it out with your boss. If you're the boss, then perhaps if someone brings you work (as in wants to buy something, contribute to your gross accounts) then maybe one should be grateful for the business?

As I mentioned, Open 'till 10, written in plain English, to me means Open 'till 10.............................not 9:50..

I don't believe I'm an [bleep] for coming to shop/do business during "open" hours...................your opinion might differ...............oh well.

Geno

PS, I'm retired, so there is no closing time..................until the eyes close that is grin

PPS, I had one retail/customer service job in my life, right after HS............I found out within a few months that I'm not suited for it. shocked
You may not think you're an [bleep], but everyone in that store does. As long as you're happy with the quality of work you get at closing by people pissed to stay late, than have at it. I just choose not to. I'd rather be the guy waiting at the door for them to open. They don't like that either.

As someone who works 12hr days, I'd much rather be busy right off the bat than stay late for free. I try to remember that when I deal with others as well.

...than stay late for free.

Am I the only one who is more than happy to stay late to help customers or projects get completed before I leave for the day..? I love helping people and getting their problems solved before I leave. What is this 'for free' sheit? If one is staying late they deserved to be paid, and luckily in this country we expect to earn 50% more for any hours over the scheduled 8 or shift for the day. I'm more than happy to help a customer who brings me a problem right before the end of shift for an extra two hours fixing something that they want completed that day. If the employer says no OT, then I politely tell the customer that while I would like to help them today, that I am not allowed to go over my allotted shift, and that I would take care of the problem the next day.
You may not think you're an [bleep], but everyone in that store does. As long as you're happy with the quality of work you get at closing by people pissed to stay late, than have at it. I just choose not to. I'd rather be the guy waiting at the door for them to open. They don't like that either.

As someone who works 12hr days, I'd much rather be busy right off the bat than stay late for free. I try to remember that when I deal with others as well.

Kodiak,

you should be paid for the time you work............not stay late for free.

And others should not stay late for free either.

But that's between them and their bosses. Not the customer's responsibility.

Customer can only go by the information given on the door............open 'till 10, again to me, means open 'till 10.

And the customer has every right to expect the same service then as at 9:00........................they may not get it but they have every right to expect it.

As the OP and I mentioned, sometimes the last minute deal can't be avoided easily, or it would be a major inconvenience to have to return in the morning, if it was at all possible. I live 15 miles outside of our "town", and 2 hrs from the bigger town. If I was up there for other stuff and stopped on the way home at 9:50 for parts to finish up a job the next day, I'd like to know that wasn't an issue at a store that says "Open 'till 10". Would be a 4 hr inconvenience if I have to go back the next day. Wouldn't be such a big deal if I lived down the street from the store I guess.

I do my best to have others think well of me, but sometimes if I'm following the rules as written, ( open 'till 10) and they don't like the rules (for whatever reason) I can't help what they think of me.

Geno

PS I was a bit upset the other day because I stopped at a bakery with a flashing neon "Open" sign in the window, which to me means "Open
". After making a U turn to get into their parking lot, pulling up directly in front of the window with the sign, getting out and trying the door, then realizing the paper hanging sign (NOT visible from the street) had been turned to closed I discovered I was SOL. Should i get back there again in the future (2 hr drive away) when they're open, I'll likely bring it to their attention. In a nice manner of course. Hopefully it was just an oversight.
I am with the "Open" is "Open" side of this discussion. Pumped Ethyl in High School. (Remember full service gas stations?) Open till 10pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Have been at the pumps until 12 midnight in the pouring rain because I had a steady line of cars lining up at the pumps after everyone else was Closed. Was taught to not turn away paying customers.
Some of you people sound like the party of eight who show up five minutes before closing time at a restaurant and order a full meal.
I do Rock Auto. go on line, pick your part. done.
Damn the bad luck!!!
i use the mom and pop auto parts stores any chance i get. they are somewhat invested in your success so they go above and beyond. the one near my camp is excellent. i've bought parts and then called them later and had them walk me through figuring out how to install them when i had a problem. the one near my house is family owned and excellent. i went in there and they went through the books and layed out every part i needed to do a cat back replacement on my old ford. every nut, bolt, hanger, bracket, etc was exactly right.
To reduce down time on a work vehicle, if there are 6 possible parts that might be the right part, we have all 6 parts delivered, (or picked up). We deal with NAPA and whatever parts are NOT correct go back as soon as the job is completed. We get the service truck back on the road quickly as long as the true part doesn't have to be ordered in.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but he may not have had any choice. Our days off get pretty busy, and I know mine will always be booked solid with other stuff to do, and I might have to make that last minute run to get something.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
...than stay late for free.

Am I the only one who is more than happy to stay late to help customers or projects get completed before I leave for the day..? I love helping people and getting their problems solved before I leave. What is this 'for free' sheit? If one is staying late they deserved to be paid, and luckily in this country we expect to earn 50% more for any hours over the scheduled 8 or shift for the day. I'm more than happy to help a customer who brings me a problem right before the end of shift for an extra two hours fixing something that they want completed that day. If the employer says no OT, then I politely tell the customer that while I would like to help them today, that I am not allowed to go over my allotted shift, and that I would take care of the problem the next day.

Nope! My day is over when the job is done.

When I was working retail as a second job, I had many folks come in at or close to closing time. If you give that customer 100%, regardless of the time, you will see a better customer in the long run. I have re-built a bow from a pile of parts to paper tuned at closing time before. Then the kid brought me pictures of the deer he killed the next week! I hated the people I worked for in retail, but the people I helped that had a genuine thankful attitude were great. And there were plenty of them.
Originally Posted by DW7
Needed a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford. Called O'Reilly, they ordered it. It's in the next day. Get to the counter, he brings it out, theres a friggin picture on the box with the passenger side headlight marked as contents in box. I spin it around and said look they even drew you a picture and you still got it wrong! 50 miles round trip, got to do it again the next day.

Knowing it is a 50 mile round trip, you could call and order both left and right, but only buy the one you need.
This thread gives me memories of tour buses showing up at the fast food joint I worked at when I was still in school Five minutes to quitting time. frown
The way I have always worked and run my stores, is if we close at 8:00 PM that is when the door gets locked with a big Closed Sign. Anyone in the store at that time gets served, when the last customer has left we empty the registers, sweep, empty the trash, mop up if needed before we go home. Occasionally we have someone that thinks they are an emergency, but when you tell them the registers are down and the money gone, they are usually understanding. Those that aren't, I don't want as customers anyway.
I don't like to walk in at closing time,but, if I'm hungry and you are open until 11?
I will come in at 10:45. And I expect to not get eye rolls or attitude. If I'm treated and happy,
I will tip better than normal.

If you are cleaning up, turning other lights........I'm good with that.
Same thing with other businesses.

I guarandamtee that I would expect employees to take care of my customers the same.
And 5 minutes is the max on locking up early.
Now if you don't like that.
Close at 10:30. People will drop by at 10:15 though.

If you can't handle that,
live in Mom's basement and sponge off her.

Really, someone explain the logic of advertising being open, and having the door open,
if you don't want customers to enter?
I've dealt with this store before and they are usually pretty good to deal with. Simple mistake last night. Went back this morning and they exchanged and upgraded the pads for free, can't complain too much about that.
Lots of discussion here. After forty years working as a foreman over twenty five men, it is easy to see which I would desire on my production crew.

You have two types in the work force, the people who expect maximum pay and scream for more money, but constantly deliver subpar performance. They take allotted breaks, and then 20 minutes later have to head to the schitter. They start slacking off about 40 minutes before quitting time, "winding down". That is, IF they ever got wound up after last break. They work twenty minutes in the morning, and then go crowd the coffee pot for thirty. They bullschitt for half the morning and then can not figure out why they are rushed through the afternoon trying to get tomorrow's orders put together.

And then you have the other 20%. The men who work good and steady at whatever project is in front of them. It is no big deal if he works through break taking care of something urgent, because he knows I will send him early to lunch. And it is typical for him to hit the parking lot at 5:10 instead of 4:45 when you are being paid to work till 5:00.

As a foreman, I have to just get the most I can out of whoever management hires for me. I can do no discipline.

I used to have thirty days to tell management "No, can not use him/her. Get me another one." Can not even do that anymore.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't like to walk in at closing time,but, if I'm hungry and you are open until 11?
I will come in at 10:45. And I expect to not get eye rolls or attitude. If I'm treated and happy,
I will tip better than normal.

If you are cleaning up, turning other lights........I'm good with that.
Same thing with other businesses.

I guarandamtee that I would expect employees to take care of my customers the same.
And 5 minutes is the max on locking up early.
Now if you don't like that.
Close at 10:30. People will drop by at 10:15 though.

If you can't handle that,
live in Mom's basement and sponge off her.

Really, someone explain the logic of advertising being open, and having the door open,
if you don't want customers to enter?

I see that you enjoy the taste of spit and jiz in your food.
A couple weeks ago at the local Vato Zone I needed pads and rotors for my cousins 02 Toyota Corolla. He stood in line and to get the parts. They only had one rotor so we went to another where we were told they had a pair. Nope, only one so he bought that and pads. Back to the original VZ for the other single. We get them home and they are the wrong ones. Back to VZ and another counter guy asks for a VIN. Did I know when the car was built? Turns out the Corollas had a design change in February that year. None of the other counter goons asked that question and I'm sure they get a prompt on their computers. Anyway, a one hour job took 3 hours with running around back and forth to 2 different VZs. From now on it's Napa or drag parts to the counter with me.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Lots of discussion here. After forty years working as a foreman over twenty five men, it is easy to see which I would desire on my production crew.

You have two types in the work force, the people who expect maximum pay and scream for more money, but constantly deliver subpar performance. They take allotted breaks, and then 20 minutes later have to head to the schitter. They start slacking off about 40 minutes before quitting time, "winding down". That is, IF they ever got wound up after last break. They work twenty minutes in the morning, and then go crowd the coffee pot for thirty. They bullschitt for half the morning and then can not figure out why they are rushed through the afternoon trying to get tomorrow's orders put together.

And then you have the other 20%. The men who work good and steady at whatever project is in front of them. It is no big deal if he works through break taking care of something urgent, because he knows I will send him early to lunch. And it is typical for him to hit the parking lot at 5:10 instead of 4:45 when you are being paid to work till 5:00.

As a foreman, I have to just get the most I can out of whoever management hires for me. I can do no discipline.

I used to have thirty days to tell management "No, can not use him/her. Get me another one." Can not even do that anymore.

Idaho,

That sounds like a very sound policy. Why no longer in use? New management?

Your second type of employee is the type that should be working in a business with "Open" hours. That one would likely serve the customer and try to meet their needs properly.

The first type bugs the everlovin' crap out of the rest of us.

Geno

Idaho,

Geno

New management at this location, anyway.

This company does not do hiring anymore. We contact a "temp agency" when we need additional help. The idea is that we use the temps for thirty days and then if they a desirable addition to our workforce, we offer them full time employment.

Until about fifteen years ago, I could call our HR director and ask for a replacement during that thirty days. But this facility was severely downsized (80% down) fifteen years ago, and HR was almost eliminated.

The plant manager is responsible for all production scheduling and personnel issues. Basically he has no time to deal with such issues. As long as they can pass a pizz test, and show up for forty hours the first four weeks, they are on full time.

Did you happen to make it to the road in time to call Sierra Bullets?

Idaho,

Your second type of employee is the type that should be working in a business with "Open" hours. That one would likely serve the customer and try to meet their needs properly.

Geno

Conversely, management who expects me to work for free can kiss my ass. I'm not desperate for a job and don't sell my soul for a paycheck. I work hard for the hrs I'm paid. You want me to work, pay me. I don't owe my employer anything more than he owes me, which is work in exchange for pay. Most of those people staying late are doing it for free. I go out of my way not to make people work for free. You know, treat people how you want to be treated and so on. I put in plenty of 80+hr weeks in the military for the same pay as those doing less than 40hr. Civilian world is a bit different though. You want me to work, pay me. Otherwise I've got better things to do.

You want to be the kind of guy that makes someone stay late and work for free, fine. There are certainly plenty of them out there. Like I said before though, shouldn't really complain about the quality of work. As far as going to a restaurant a few minutes before they CLOSE, no way am I eating what that pissed off cook makes. To each his own I guess.

As far as buying parts goes, I always look it over before leaving the store to make sure I'm getting the correct part. Not always, but usually I know exactly what I need and what it looks like, so it's pretty easy to tell if they got the right part or not.
Lock the door at 10. then sweep count money or whatever needs done.

Worst I ran across was a fast food with a "special" until 4 or somesuch time. Problem was their clock was 20 minutes fast and they insisted that we had to go on their time. It is really easy to go elsewhere next time for most of us.

ON the other hand the days are long gone when you had Ford, Chev, and Dodge and the counterman knew virtually all the parts by memory; there weren't that many
Parts men days are gone.

Now days they only know what the computer tells them after you tell them all about your vehicle.

Need new wiper blades? Is it 4wd??

New tail light? V6 or v8 engine??

I remember going to the parts house. Long counter of books that the guy knew how to use in a blink.

Forget going to discount auto / autozone for equipment or tractor parts.
You’ll get a blank stare when Massey Ferguson isn’t listed under vehicle make.

Couple years ago i needed a carb kit for an old welder. Marvel shriever(sp)? Went on a continental in-line 4 cylinder.
Old parts guy said I don’t stock welder machine parts. But that’s the same engine in a such and such year Farmall. I’ve got those.

Idaho,

Geno

What if the person whom he said couldn't use was black, or a woman, or some other protected class?
Originally Posted by mikieb
I do Rock Auto. go on line, pick your part. done.

+1 Haven't gotten the wrong part yet!

Jerry
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Idaho,

Geno

What if the person whom he said couldn't use was black, or a woman, or some other protected class?

As some one long ago said...................therein lies the rub.

protected class as opposed to protected from indiscriminate firing while performing satisfactorily.

What a world, eh?

Geno

PS, it seems they're all getting protected now, even old white guys.
Brakes are done, just finished a power steering pump in my F150...been a long day. The guy at AutoZone did his best to take care of the problem, can't complain too much about that..just wish the local Bumper to Bumper had better weekend hours...NEVER got a wrong part there.
Thumbs up Tim, glad it worked out OK.

Geno
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Idaho,

Geno

Several of them were women, and the majority were Hispanic, because the majority of the available workforce around here is Hispanic. I have only ever seen two Negro employees in this factory since I was hired in 1976. And one of those swore he was Puerto Rican.

Protected class makes no difference as long as one can articulate a verifiable reason they are unacceptable.

Because you did not check the parts in the bag before leaving the store.

Take half, or more of the blame. Save yourself some aggravation in the future and look closely at what they are selling.
I was taught at a very young age that when I’m buying replacement parts, like brake pads, alterators, hoses..... bring the part you took off with you. Compare the parts right at the counter to avoid the clusterfukery that sometimes happens when you get home and open the box... or worse, when you’re trying to get the part to fit but something just isn’t lining up
Nevermind. Looks like you are rolling. wink
Idaho Shooter,

As a 17 year old working construction, I remember the old guys,in their 30's-50's, saying
they wanted no part of being a foreman. I knew they were full of --it. They wanted to be
boss, make more money, avoid the crap jobs I got. They were jealous.

At almost 50, having worked a number of very different jobs, with a lot of different people,
when a foreman job comes up, I don't even think of it. 3 new foreman ago, the one retiring
was talking to me about who would fill his position. I told him a person would be crazy to want to deal
with all management's problems,
all of labors problems, then deal with the personalities.
Add in that with some overtime I made more than he did,
and I would have to leave the union. Leaving me vulnerable to management whims, and they had
arbitrarily fired a couple foreman.

In the last 30 years, a lot has changed.
Including my mind.
I flew into Baton Rouge late one evening and checked my watch as soon as I drove out of the car rental lot. My business the next day was west of the city and I reckoned that I had just about enough time to make it to a fantastic restaurant called The Old Drefuss Store in a little town about an hour west of BR. It was owned by a chef formerly chief at one of the famous New Orleans hotels.

Being a week night, there was only one couple remaining when I walked in at fifteen minutes before closing time and they were halfway thru their meal. I asked the waitress what menu item was the fastest to prepare since I didn’t want to be a bother. She said that every item on the menu was available from opening time until closing time so I should order whatever I wanted.

I had only eaten there a couple times before so I surely was not a favored customer..... just a customer. I asked her to go to the kitchen and tell the chef there was a hungry Texan at a table and for him to just gather up a meal out of whatever was fast and easy for him.

About ten minutes later, she was back with a huge tray of goodies, mostly appetizer items, but in large quantities. There must have been six or eight varieties of seafood items on that tray........ a bona fide feast.

I was only charged the price of a mid range entree item from the menu.

It’s been at least twenty five years and I still remember them groceries.
99.9% of the auto parts i buy are online. Also, my dealer has an online stire with reduced prices. Order online and pick it up. I do like factory parts when I work on my 4runners. Advance auto and autozone suck and they are overpriced on everything.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
99.9% of the auto parts i buy are online. Also, my dealer has an online stire with reduced prices. Order online and pick it up. I do like factory parts when I work on my 4runners. Advance auto and autozone suck and they are overpriced on everything.

Those two have been horrible for our independent parts houses.
They quote prices on junk parts that shouldn't even be produced.

Of course, the customer heads there to buy.
Then gets upsold. Then the sell him dielectric grease with his sparkplug boots, grease for his caliper slides etc.

The parts houses sell mostly to pros these days.
No mechanic wants to put junk on a car, then have probems.

They do actually deal in quality stuff.
But that's not what they will quote you.
I like playing social experients on auto zone employees.

Working on a 78 power wagon with 318, need a rotor button and distrib cap.

But instead, I tell them I need a cap and rotor button for a 1970 Road Runner Superbird with 440-6pack

Seemingly never get a register from the 26 yr old dolt working there nowadays. 25 years ago that wouldve made the average Ernie at the counter go into Dream Weaver mode. hahaha
I needed a new blower motor for my 99 Dodge Cummins. O Reilly claimed that a 3/4 ton used a different motor and blower wheel than the 1/2 tons. I’ll spare you the explanation I got when I pointed that it made no sense.

I went to Autozone and damned if their computer didn’t say the same thing. Both places claimed they couldn’t even special order one for a 3/4 ton.

I went to the local salvage yard and bought a used one. It came out of a 1/2 ton and was identical to the original one that I removed.

The counter guys can’t be expected to sell you what they don’t have, or order a prohibited item, but they shouldn’t offer some b.s. justification for a stupid computer error.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I needed a new blower motor for my 99 Dodge Cummins. O Reilly claimed that a 3/4 ton used a different motor and blower wheel than the 1/2 tons. I’ll spare you the explanation I got when I pointed that it made no sense.

I went to Autozone and damned if their computer didn’t say the same thing. Both places claimed they couldn’t even special order one for a 3/4 ton.

I went to the local salvage yard and bought a used one. It came out of a 1/2 ton and was identical to the original one that I removed.

The counter guys can’t be expected to sell you what they don’t have, or order a prohibited item, but they shouldn’t offer some b.s. justification for a stupid computer error.

Why didn't you just buy one for 1/2 ton Dodge then?
I've always had better luck and pricing at Pep Boys.
NAPA used to be the best in our area and had the best quality parts. Not any more. The last few times I went to NAPA, I either got the wrong part or a cheap alternative was offered with nothing else to choose from. They couldn't even get the lug nuts and studs right for a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The studs for the rear were fine, but the front ones were too big to press in. When I took them back , they didn't act like they believed me until I pulled out my digital caliper and proved to them they were wrong. After going through books of parts and computer pages, they told me that the number was right even after I showed them the difference. I got my money back and went to O'Reilly's and they handed me the right studs and even threw in an extra because their bin numbers were off by one. If I go to a local parts store, it's because I need one right now and don't want to order it. If I have time to order, I will and save a bunch of money. It seems every on of them doesn't keep the stock on hand they used to keep.
I try to deal with napa mostly. When I walk in and the owner goes "when you gonna sell me that plum crazy mopar" I know he I'm still in a place where there's not been any turn-over in several years.
Most of the guys in there used to have their own shops of some sort.

They know I live 25 miles outside of town and always make sure best they can.

I only got to the 'Vato for trivial stuff.

Doubt I'll ever deal with rockauto.com again. They sold my contact info email/ cell phone to third party spammers.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I like playing social experients on auto zone employees.

Working on a 78 power wagon with 318, need a rotor button and distrib cap.

But instead, I tell them I need a cap and rotor button for a 1970 Road Runner Superbird with 440-6pack

Seemingly never get a register from the 26 yr old dolt working there nowadays. 25 years ago that wouldve made the average Ernie at the counter go into Dream Weaver mode. hahaha

Sure enough, and some of ;em woulda had jiiizzzzzl stains in their short later too.

Geno
Originally Posted by slumlord
I try to deal with napa mostly. When I walk in and the owner goes "when you gonna sell me that plum crazy mopar" I know he I'm still in a place where there's not been any turn-over in several years.
Most of the guys in there used to have their own shops of some sort.

They know I live 25 miles outside of town and always make sure best they can.

I only got to the 'Vato for trivial stuff.

Doubt I'll ever deal with rockauto.com again. They sold my contact info email/ cell phone to third party spammers.

You are lucky that your NAPA is still doing good. Ours has turned into just another second rate parts store.....see my last post......Also, How did you know who sold your info to spammers...I need to know how to find out myself..
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Originally Posted by DW7

Knowing it is a 50 mile round trip, you could call and order both left and right, but only buy the one you need.

I could order every part on the vehicle just to make sure they don't accidentally type in the wrong part number. My money says the one part they'd forget to order would be the one I need. Auto parts stores are the worst at it. If I'm able, I pull the part and match it up at the store. 90% of the time the first part they pull doesn't match up. Why they didn't have a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford truck in stock ( I guarentee every Ford truck, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton between 92-97 uses the same headlight) is beyond me.
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Originally Posted by DW7

I could order every part on the vehicle just to make sure they don't accidentally type in the wrong part number. My money says the one part they'd forget to order would be the one I need. Auto parts stores are the worst at it. If I'm able, I pull the part and match it up at the store. 90% of the time the first part they pull doesn't match up. Why they didn't have a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford truck in stock ( I guarentee every Ford truck, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton between 92-97 uses the same headlight) is beyond me.
The guy in before you. Bought the last one in stock. Pretty simple if you use Logic. One of my last trips to Napa I ordered two gas tank grommets for my 2 85 dodge trucks. One was bad. Sacramento NAPA distribution showed 2 in stock. One showed up. Should I blame the counter guy for Sacramento NAPA not sending both? My guess is Sacramento only had 1 so they sent it. #2 was probably on some warehouse workers truck in the parking lot.

I would have opened the box and checked to make sure I had the correct parts before leaving....
© 24hourcampfire