Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Lots of discussion here. After forty years working as a foreman over twenty five men, it is easy to see which I would desire on my production crew.

You have two types in the work force, the people who expect maximum pay and scream for more money, but constantly deliver subpar performance. They take allotted breaks, and then 20 minutes later have to head to the schitter. They start slacking off about 40 minutes before quitting time, "winding down". That is, IF they ever got wound up after last break. They work twenty minutes in the morning, and then go crowd the coffee pot for thirty. They bullschitt for half the morning and then can not figure out why they are rushed through the afternoon trying to get tomorrow's orders put together.

And then you have the other 20%. The men who work good and steady at whatever project is in front of them. It is no big deal if he works through break taking care of something urgent, because he knows I will send him early to lunch. And it is typical for him to hit the parking lot at 5:10 instead of 4:45 when you are being paid to work till 5:00.

As a foreman, I have to just get the most I can out of whoever management hires for me. I can do no discipline.

I used to have thirty days to tell management "No, can not use him/her. Get me another one." Can not even do that anymore.

Idaho,

That sounds like a very sound policy. Why no longer in use? New management?

Your second type of employee is the type that should be working in a business with "Open" hours. That one would likely serve the customer and try to meet their needs properly.

The first type bugs the everlovin' crap out of the rest of us.

Geno

What if the person whom he said couldn't use was black, or a woman, or some other protected class?

As some one long ago said...................therein lies the rub.

protected class as opposed to protected from indiscriminate firing while performing satisfactorily.

What a world, eh?

Geno

PS, it seems they're all getting protected now, even old white guys.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Brakes are done, just finished a power steering pump in my F150...been a long day. The guy at AutoZone did his best to take care of the problem, can't complain too much about that..just wish the local Bumper to Bumper had better weekend hours...NEVER got a wrong part there.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thumbs up Tim, glad it worked out OK.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Lots of discussion here. After forty years working as a foreman over twenty five men, it is easy to see which I would desire on my production crew.

You have two types in the work force, the people who expect maximum pay and scream for more money, but constantly deliver subpar performance. They take allotted breaks, and then 20 minutes later have to head to the schitter. They start slacking off about 40 minutes before quitting time, "winding down". That is, IF they ever got wound up after last break. They work twenty minutes in the morning, and then go crowd the coffee pot for thirty. They bullschitt for half the morning and then can not figure out why they are rushed through the afternoon trying to get tomorrow's orders put together.

And then you have the other 20%. The men who work good and steady at whatever project is in front of them. It is no big deal if he works through break taking care of something urgent, because he knows I will send him early to lunch. And it is typical for him to hit the parking lot at 5:10 instead of 4:45 when you are being paid to work till 5:00.

As a foreman, I have to just get the most I can out of whoever management hires for me. I can do no discipline.

I used to have thirty days to tell management "No, can not use him/her. Get me another one." Can not even do that anymore.

Idaho,

That sounds like a very sound policy. Why no longer in use? New management?

Your second type of employee is the type that should be working in a business with "Open" hours. That one would likely serve the customer and try to meet their needs properly.

The first type bugs the everlovin' crap out of the rest of us.

Geno

What if the person whom he said couldn't use was black, or a woman, or some other protected class?

Several of them were women, and the majority were Hispanic, because the majority of the available workforce around here is Hispanic. I have only ever seen two Negro employees in this factory since I was hired in 1976. And one of those swore he was Puerto Rican.

Protected class makes no difference as long as one can articulate a verifiable reason they are unacceptable.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Now why am I sitting here with the right rotors and SINGLE piston pads...

Because you did not check the parts in the bag before leaving the store.

Take half, or more of the blame. Save yourself some aggravation in the future and look closely at what they are selling.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I was taught at a very young age that when I’m buying replacement parts, like brake pads, alterators, hoses..... bring the part you took off with you. Compare the parts right at the counter to avoid the clusterfukery that sometimes happens when you get home and open the box... or worse, when you’re trying to get the part to fit but something just isn’t lining up

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nevermind. Looks like you are rolling. wink

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho Shooter,

As a 17 year old working construction, I remember the old guys,in their 30's-50's, saying
they wanted no part of being a foreman. I knew they were full of --it. They wanted to be
boss, make more money, avoid the crap jobs I got. They were jealous.

At almost 50, having worked a number of very different jobs, with a lot of different people,
when a foreman job comes up, I don't even think of it. 3 new foreman ago, the one retiring
was talking to me about who would fill his position. I told him a person would be crazy to want to deal
with all management's problems,
all of labors problems, then deal with the personalities.
Add in that with some overtime I made more than he did,
and I would have to leave the union. Leaving me vulnerable to management whims, and they had
arbitrarily fired a couple foreman.

In the last 30 years, a lot has changed.
Including my mind.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I flew into Baton Rouge late one evening and checked my watch as soon as I drove out of the car rental lot. My business the next day was west of the city and I reckoned that I had just about enough time to make it to a fantastic restaurant called The Old Drefuss Store in a little town about an hour west of BR. It was owned by a chef formerly chief at one of the famous New Orleans hotels.

Being a week night, there was only one couple remaining when I walked in at fifteen minutes before closing time and they were halfway thru their meal. I asked the waitress what menu item was the fastest to prepare since I didn’t want to be a bother. She said that every item on the menu was available from opening time until closing time so I should order whatever I wanted.

I had only eaten there a couple times before so I surely was not a favored customer..... just a customer. I asked her to go to the kitchen and tell the chef there was a hungry Texan at a table and for him to just gather up a meal out of whatever was fast and easy for him.

About ten minutes later, she was back with a huge tray of goodies, mostly appetizer items, but in large quantities. There must have been six or eight varieties of seafood items on that tray........ a bona fide feast.

I was only charged the price of a mid range entree item from the menu.

It’s been at least twenty five years and I still remember them groceries.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99.9% of the auto parts i buy are online. Also, my dealer has an online stire with reduced prices. Order online and pick it up. I do like factory parts when I work on my 4runners. Advance auto and autozone suck and they are overpriced on everything.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
99.9% of the auto parts i buy are online. Also, my dealer has an online stire with reduced prices. Order online and pick it up. I do like factory parts when I work on my 4runners. Advance auto and autozone suck and they are overpriced on everything.

Those two have been horrible for our independent parts houses.
They quote prices on junk parts that shouldn't even be produced.

Of course, the customer heads there to buy.
Then gets upsold. Then the sell him dielectric grease with his sparkplug boots, grease for his caliper slides etc.

The parts houses sell mostly to pros these days.
No mechanic wants to put junk on a car, then have probems.

They do actually deal in quality stuff.
But that's not what they will quote you.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I like playing social experients on auto zone employees.

Working on a 78 power wagon with 318, need a rotor button and distrib cap.

But instead, I tell them I need a cap and rotor button for a 1970 Road Runner Superbird with 440-6pack

Seemingly never get a register from the 26 yr old dolt working there nowadays. 25 years ago that wouldve made the average Ernie at the counter go into Dream Weaver mode. hahaha

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I needed a new blower motor for my 99 Dodge Cummins. O Reilly claimed that a 3/4 ton used a different motor and blower wheel than the 1/2 tons. I’ll spare you the explanation I got when I pointed that it made no sense.

I went to Autozone and damned if their computer didn’t say the same thing. Both places claimed they couldn’t even special order one for a 3/4 ton.

I went to the local salvage yard and bought a used one. It came out of a 1/2 ton and was identical to the original one that I removed.

The counter guys can’t be expected to sell you what they don’t have, or order a prohibited item, but they shouldn’t offer some b.s. justification for a stupid computer error.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I needed a new blower motor for my 99 Dodge Cummins. O Reilly claimed that a 3/4 ton used a different motor and blower wheel than the 1/2 tons. I’ll spare you the explanation I got when I pointed that it made no sense.

I went to Autozone and damned if their computer didn’t say the same thing. Both places claimed they couldn’t even special order one for a 3/4 ton.

I went to the local salvage yard and bought a used one. It came out of a 1/2 ton and was identical to the original one that I removed.

The counter guys can’t be expected to sell you what they don’t have, or order a prohibited item, but they shouldn’t offer some b.s. justification for a stupid computer error.

Why didn't you just buy one for 1/2 ton Dodge then?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always had better luck and pricing at Pep Boys.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
NAPA used to be the best in our area and had the best quality parts. Not any more. The last few times I went to NAPA, I either got the wrong part or a cheap alternative was offered with nothing else to choose from. They couldn't even get the lug nuts and studs right for a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The studs for the rear were fine, but the front ones were too big to press in. When I took them back , they didn't act like they believed me until I pulled out my digital caliper and proved to them they were wrong. After going through books of parts and computer pages, they told me that the number was right even after I showed them the difference. I got my money back and went to O'Reilly's and they handed me the right studs and even threw in an extra because their bin numbers were off by one. If I go to a local parts store, it's because I need one right now and don't want to order it. If I have time to order, I will and save a bunch of money. It seems every on of them doesn't keep the stock on hand they used to keep.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I try to deal with napa mostly. When I walk in and the owner goes "when you gonna sell me that plum crazy mopar" I know he I'm still in a place where there's not been any turn-over in several years.
Most of the guys in there used to have their own shops of some sort.

They know I live 25 miles outside of town and always make sure best they can.

I only got to the 'Vato for trivial stuff.

Doubt I'll ever deal with rockauto.com again. They sold my contact info email/ cell phone to third party spammers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I like playing social experients on auto zone employees.

Working on a 78 power wagon with 318, need a rotor button and distrib cap.

But instead, I tell them I need a cap and rotor button for a 1970 Road Runner Superbird with 440-6pack

Seemingly never get a register from the 26 yr old dolt working there nowadays. 25 years ago that wouldve made the average Ernie at the counter go into Dream Weaver mode. hahaha

Sure enough, and some of ;em woulda had jiiizzzzzl stains in their short later too.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/21/18.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I try to deal with napa mostly. When I walk in and the owner goes "when you gonna sell me that plum crazy mopar" I know he I'm still in a place where there's not been any turn-over in several years.
Most of the guys in there used to have their own shops of some sort.

They know I live 25 miles outside of town and always make sure best they can.

I only got to the 'Vato for trivial stuff.

Doubt I'll ever deal with rockauto.com again. They sold my contact info email/ cell phone to third party spammers.

You are lucky that your NAPA is still doing good. Ours has turned into just another second rate parts store.....see my last post......Also, How did you know who sold your info to spammers...I need to know how to find out myself..

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Originally Posted by DW7
Needed a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford. Called O'Reilly, they ordered it. It's in the next day. Get to the counter, he brings it out, theres a friggin picture on the box with the passenger side headlight marked as contents in box. I spin it around and said look they even drew you a picture and you still got it wrong! 50 miles round trip, got to do it again the next day.

Knowing it is a 50 mile round trip, you could call and order both left and right, but only buy the one you need.

I could order every part on the vehicle just to make sure they don't accidentally type in the wrong part number. My money says the one part they'd forget to order would be the one I need. Auto parts stores are the worst at it. If I'm able, I pull the part and match it up at the store. 90% of the time the first part they pull doesn't match up. Why they didn't have a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford truck in stock ( I guarentee every Ford truck, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton between 92-97 uses the same headlight) is beyond me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,999
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.