Home
Looking forward to getting out of Dodge, to the camper and lease. This work day won't end fast enough for me.

I sincerely want to wish everyone a memorable opening day. Be thankful we get to do this and sew that peace and joy in others you are with.

Be safe! Unchamber that thing before it goes back in the vehicle. Always look past what you shoot.

Bring some ear plugs - especially for any young'un you bring. You don't want them deaf as half of us older guys.

Be kind to the newbies whose dink to them is a trophy. Tell them it is. Be magnanimous, even to the know it all, just let it go and and feel good about yourself. Show what person you can be.

BREATHE the clean air, and sing those praises to the almighty under your breath.

Thank you, Rick, for all the fellow members in the spirit of a campfire as it was intended. Have a great opening my friends.
Hope you get the one you want!

I'll probably take the Mule out to the olive farm Saturday and see if I can get a deer or two. Been WAY too wet to set a feeder or even shred out there. Maybe I can see some antlers moving through 4 foot high grass and brush. wink
Ml opener in tn on Saturday
Be nice if god issued some of that opening day luck thing just once.
I ain't never dropped something on opening day ever.
If I can drop one during ml in tn
I'm gonna spend the rest of time on ftcky till tn rifle
I'm gonna save my other tn tag for rifle

All wishful thinking

Cant kill em from the couch

Good luck to everyone!!!!
Place a good killing shot thru the air bags and fluid pump!!!!
Good luck all!
Nicely worded, kenjs1.

Good luck to all.
Kentucky opens rifle season next Saturday. I doubt I shoot a buck, as we've seen nothing worth shooting here on the farm. I might go hunt the in-laws places some, as they have better deer hunting then I do. What I'll probably do is sit a lot, hope to kill a coyote or two, maybe run a trespasser off, and enjoy the relaxation.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Kentucky opens rifle season next Saturday. I doubt I shoot a buck, as we've seen nothing worth shooting here on the farm. I might go hunt the in-laws places some, as they have better deer hunting then I do. What I'll probably do is sit a lot, hope to kill a coyote or two, maybe run a trespasser off, and enjoy the relaxation.

I need to be In 44a or 50 on post for Kentucky rifle opener next weekend.
That is firm on that day and place for sure.
i can't wait to take a crap in the cold woods and wipe my bum with toasty toes handwarmers.

Our season closes today. Passed up some 3x3's but never pulled the trigger. Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife is smart, they close season right before the rut. They've slowly whittled season back a few days to ensure no one gets to hunt the rut.

Yes, they're ass holes.
Well said, Kenjs1. Be safe everyone and enjoy our liberties.
Our rifle season opener Nov. 10 and looking forward to it as well.

Good luck to all.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Our season closes today. Passed up some 3x3's but never pulled the trigger. Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife is smart, they close season right before the rut. They've slowly whittled season back a few days to ensure no one gets to hunt the rut.

Yes, they're ass holes.

Their ain't no late season?????
There's a late archery season for guys that didn't fill their tag in the general, and a late muzzleloader season that's draw only. There may be late draw hunts for rifle in isolated pockets here and there but they would be highly coveted and very low draw rates. As a rule ODFW's mantra is "hunter opportunity, big game escapement".

They do a bang up job of timing seasons to give maximum opportunity for game to escape, think migrations, full moon, no rut, etc.
And they make damn sure you can't hunt elk and deer at the same time in the same place, so you can't combine your hunts into one vacation.
Thanks for the tips and safety reminders and other bits of good advice.... And have a great season. I'm going out this weekend for crossbow and then rifle / shotgun (depends on which area I'm in) starts Nov. 17th. I'll repeat it once again because it's so important: Stay safe and have a good time.
General Rifle Season Hunts end this coming Monday. Lots of special late season hunts but they are a pain in the arse to get. Easier to just hunt out of state everyother year.
And they make damn sure you can't hunt elk and deer at the same time in the same place, so you can't combine your hunts into one vacation.

Oregon sucks....
There's a late archery season for guys that didn't fill their tag in the general, and a late muzzleloader season that's draw only. There may be late draw hunts for rifle in isolated pockets here and there but they would be highly coveted and very low draw rates. As a rule ODFW's mantra is "hunter opportunity, big game escapement".

They do a bang up job of timing seasons to give maximum opportunity for game to escape, think migrations, full moon, no rut, etc.

Let me geuss they got some crazy archery regs too???
ML regs??

So only mt lions can hunt deer during the rut
oversized cats with a bad attitude problem

They protect them fuggs also?

Mt lions love those regs.....
Sally struthers regs......
Plenty of bred does having fawns in the spring for em to kill and chow down on.

Originally Posted by renegade50

Oregon sucks....

I'm not too worried about it. Oreogn's new wolves will kill all the cougars that can't climb trees and make the rest damned nervous.

We've always had some damn fine blacktail deer hunting but that's changing fast now. Wife is seeing lots of stuff on Facebook about cougar sightings in town now. Ran out of deer in the mountains so they're coming to town! The kid says there's 3 cougars cruising the college campus in Ashland Oregon lately!
Getting off at 1:00 pm, go home, jump in truck, haul ass to east Texas.
I killed my first deer 64 years ago but I still look forward to opening day. For a lot of years I followed the same opening day routine.... I’d kill the first doe I saw, field dress and hang her in the shade, then go on hunting. At noon I’d cook the liver and some onions on the tailgate of my pickup. Somewhere along the way I gave that up.

Damn hogs have taken over the little eighty acre pasture I hunt nowadays. I think I may set at the feeder and pop one of the big boars this evening to discourage them hanging around. Then I’ll have to take my Jeep and drag the damn thing out to a mesquite flat so the coyotes and buzzards can clean it up.

I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable opening day tomorrow.
For big game here in Pennsylvania, we start with black bear the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and Buck the Monday after Thanksgiving. Archery has been in most of October.
Back at ya.
I`m heading to Potter County Wednesday for turkey and a little coyote hunting.
How`s the turkey population in Center Co.?
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Looking forward to getting out of Dodge, to the camper and lease. This work day won't end fast enough for me.

I sincerely want to wish everyone a memorable opening day. Be thankful we get to do this and sew that peace and joy in others you are with.

Be safe! Unchamber that thing before it goes back in the vehicle. Always look past what you shoot.

Bring some ear plugs - especially for any young'un you bring. You don't want them deaf as half of us older guys.

Be kind to the newbies whose dink to them is a trophy. Tell them it is. Be magnanimous, even to the know it all, just let it go and and feel good about yourself. Show what person you can be.

BREATHE the clean air, and sing those praises to the almighty under your breath.

Thank you, Rick, for all the fellow members in the spirit of a campfire as it was intended. Have a great opening my friends.

You are a true sportsman. Well said. I see a lot of trophy mania, "gadget envy", and materialism making its way into hunting. There is a loss of the joy of "fair chase" and of enjoying His Creation. I hope many on here read your post and take it to heart.
Im not going tomorrow , still recovering from yesterdays 3 dental implants and bone graft .

Yes, they're ass holes.

Our season ended on Oct. 10. Full moon and warm weather. California eastern Sierra and no late season. That fork I took is looking better and better.
Gonna bump my own thread- just because i see a lot of fretting and crap and today should be THE day of the year for a good number of us. Log off guys, unlpug, - get out there. Enjoy it all.
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Such good advice. Some of the folks I most admired back in the days were deaf as a coot.

My professional hunters in Africa told me that Bill Jordan, the legendary pistolero, was so deaf that it was embarrassing to hear him talk to his girlfriend when he thought no one else was listening.

Norm
Originally Posted by hanco
Getting off at 1:00 pm, go home, jump in truck, haul ass to east Texas.

I'll be at camp tomorrow afternoon. Gotta fish in the morning.
Got the Mule all loaded up and on the trailer.

Hopefully I won't get stuck.. It's a wet SOB here.
Originally Posted by 35
Back at ya.
I`m heading to Potter County Wednesday for turkey and a little coyote hunting.
How`s the turkey population in Center Co.?

Turkeys are down. I think the rain was tough on the poults.
Game commission has really stocked the pheasants though.
Very well said brother I wish you the best!!
Good Luck everyone!
Yes guys and gals good luck!! Make that first Shot Count!!
© 24hourcampfire