-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I killed my first deer 64 years ago but I still look forward to opening day. For a lot of years I followed the same opening day routine.... I’d kill the first doe I saw, field dress and hang her in the shade, then go on hunting. At noon I’d cook the liver and some onions on the tailgate of my pickup. Somewhere along the way I gave that up.

Damn hogs have taken over the little eighty acre pasture I hunt nowadays. I think I may set at the feeder and pop one of the big boars this evening to discourage them hanging around. Then I’ll have to take my Jeep and drag the damn thing out to a mesquite flat so the coyotes and buzzards can clean it up.

I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable opening day tomorrow.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For big game here in Pennsylvania, we start with black bear the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and Buck the Monday after Thanksgiving. Archery has been in most of October.

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back at ya.
I`m heading to Potter County Wednesday for turkey and a little coyote hunting.
How`s the turkey population in Center Co.?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Looking forward to getting out of Dodge, to the camper and lease. This work day won't end fast enough for me.

I sincerely want to wish everyone a memorable opening day. Be thankful we get to do this and sew that peace and joy in others you are with.

Be safe! Unchamber that thing before it goes back in the vehicle. Always look past what you shoot.

Bring some ear plugs - especially for any young'un you bring. You don't want them deaf as half of us older guys.

Be kind to the newbies whose dink to them is a trophy. Tell them it is. Be magnanimous, even to the know it all, just let it go and and feel good about yourself. Show what person you can be.

BREATHE the clean air, and sing those praises to the almighty under your breath.

Thank you, Rick, for all the fellow members in the spirit of a campfire as it was intended. Have a great opening my friends.

You are a true sportsman. Well said. I see a lot of trophy mania, "gadget envy", and materialism making its way into hunting. There is a loss of the joy of "fair chase" and of enjoying His Creation. I hope many on here read your post and take it to heart.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/02/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im not going tomorrow , still recovering from yesterdays 3 dental implants and bone graft .

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Our season closes today. Passed up some 3x3's but never pulled the trigger. Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife is smart, they close season right before the rut. They've slowly whittled season back a few days to ensure no one gets to hunt the rut.

Yes, they're ass holes.

Our season ended on Oct. 10. Full moon and warm weather. California eastern Sierra and no late season. That fork I took is looking better and better.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gonna bump my own thread- just because i see a lot of fretting and crap and today should be THE day of the year for a good number of us. Log off guys, unlpug, - get out there. Enjoy it all.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Looking forward to getting out of Dodge, to the camper and lease. This work day won't end fast enough for me.

I sincerely want to wish everyone a memorable opening day. Be thankful we get to do this and sew that peace and joy in others you are with.

Be safe! Unchamber that thing before it goes back in the vehicle. Always look past what you shoot.

Bring some ear plugs - especially for any young'un you bring. You don't want them deaf as half of us older guys.

Be kind to the newbies whose dink to them is a trophy. Tell them it is. Be magnanimous, even to the know it all, just let it go and and feel good about yourself. Show what person you can be.

BREATHE the clean air, and sing those praises to the almighty under your breath.

Thank you, Rick, for all the fellow members in the spirit of a campfire as it was intended. Have a great opening my friends.

Such good advice. Some of the folks I most admired back in the days were deaf as a coot.

My professional hunters in Africa told me that Bill Jordan, the legendary pistolero, was so deaf that it was embarrassing to hear him talk to his girlfriend when he thought no one else was listening.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Getting off at 1:00 pm, go home, jump in truck, haul ass to east Texas.

I'll be at camp tomorrow afternoon. Gotta fish in the morning.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got the Mule all loaded up and on the trailer.

Hopefully I won't get stuck.. It's a wet SOB here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 35
Back at ya.
I`m heading to Potter County Wednesday for turkey and a little coyote hunting.
How`s the turkey population in Center Co.?

Turkeys are down. I think the rain was tough on the poults.
Game commission has really stocked the pheasants though.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very well said brother I wish you the best!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Luck everyone!

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
B
B
Yes guys and gals good luck!! Make that first Shot Count!!

Last edited by BuckMt; 11/02/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,521 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.