Home
Posted By: k20350 Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
First snow fell time for new boots. Nothing makes me a grump more than wet feet. Tired of paying $200+ for Red Wings that are what I would have considered Chinese junk 5 years ago. I love the http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3506-red-wing-shoes/3506-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown cause of the hard rubber toe. I'm in restaurant delivery and am constantly kicking stacks of buns and bread to get them where i want them. Local mom and pop work wear store gave me a card for a discount cause my boots fell apart so fast this time. I really love those boots but they just last less and less time every pair. I've bought 7 pairs over the years. I'm not a rich man but not afraid to spend a couple hundred on decent boots. What are u guys wearing? Any decent affordable to the working man boots out there any more worth a damn?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I'd look at Keen boots if you want a rubber toe
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
These will be my next boots, I'm done with redwings they wear out way to fast. I'm holding out to see if they go on sale for the holidays. boots. I don't know your requirement I need steel toe, and EH rated
Posted By: Teal Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I wear Caterpillar boots from Fleet Farm. Probably made by Wolverine. Love them.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Started wearing Ariat Waterproof boots some time ago.

I cussed wet socks for years. Until I tried these.

Tough, and my last pair has about 3 years on them, still in good shape, and was in close to a foot of water the other day for an hour or so, and not one drop soaked through to my socks.

Lots of styles for every taste.

https://www.ariat.com/WORKHOG_SQ_H2...G__SQ__H2O__CT__M__FOO_color=BRUIN_BROWN

https://www.ariat.com/CONQEST_8_GTX_M_FOO.html?dwvar_CONQEST__8__GTX__M__FOO_color=PEBBLED_BROWN

For dress up I wear Lucchese or Rios of Mercedes, but for work I wear Ariats without fail.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I work in a small manufacturing operation. My primary responsibility is to get the machining done, but we’re small so everybody has to be versatile. That means I machine, weld, run a lift truck when necessary and sit in the design and engineering sessions as well as travel to check out equipment, work on quotes with sub-contractors and vendors...you get the idea. I wear steel toed RedWings and for me, they take a lot of abuse and wear well. The outsides are kind of beat up looking from coolants and machine oils, and they’re nicked and cut here and there from collisions with sharp-edged bar stock and such, but they stay are in perfect functional condition. My 70 year old feet feel just fine, too, after all day on concrete floors.

I went to the RedWing store and got fitted right. They treat me well there and will clean and condition the boots and put in new laces any time I stop in, no cost, life of the boots. I will say, they’re US made RedWings, not the price-point import stuff. Some of the young guys buy Chinese or Vietnamese work boots at Walmart or wherever, for around a hundred bucks a pair, then bitch and complain when they fall apart in 6 months. My attitude is, nobody in those places buy our products, why should I buy theirs? When you figure the useful life, as well as the inconvenience of having to get new boots every six months, and add in the cost of poor performance, for me it’s a no brainer.

I don’t expect to work more than another 5 years (but you never know.) I have two pairs of RedWings that I alternate on a daily basis. I fully expect them to see me through.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Originally Posted by k20350
First snow fell time for new boots. Nothing makes me a grump more than wet feet. Tired of paying $200+ for Red Wings that are what I would have considered Chinese junk 5 years ago. I love the http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3506-red-wing-shoes/3506-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown cause of the hard rubber toe. I'm in restaurant delivery and am constantly kicking stacks of buns and bread to get them where i want them. Local mom and pop work wear store gave me a card for a discount cause my boots fell apart so fast this time. I really love those boots but they just last less and less time every pair. I've bought 7 pairs over the years. I'm not a rich man but not afraid to spend a couple hundred on decent boots. What are u guys wearing? Any decent affordable to the working man boots out there any more worth a damn?

I hate it when my bread and buns have boot marks in them. Redwings have been fine for me through my career.
Danner Quarry USA is what I have worn last three years (2 pairs) and going to buy another pair here in a month or so. Wear them all day every day unless I am hunting chukar or something where I wear my Schnees. Boots are so personal though, I feel fortunate when I find a good one that works for me.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I wear Justin steel toe boots, and for me they are the most comfortable out there. I use to wear Red Wings until they just didn't seem to fit my feet anymore, causing all kinds of aches and pains. Then I went through a lot of others such as Double H, Ariait, Cat, etc... and just never found any that were comfortable until I got to the Justin. Your feet are different of course, so what any of us suggest may not work for you.

Good Luck in your search, I know how frustrating it can be.
Posted By: 673 Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I'll not own another pair of red wings, the last pair is the last, the "hunt".....they take 4 hrs to get completely soaked and 2 days to dry, ruining a hunting trip so now I bring gumboots. Took them back to where I bought them, they said they were made in the USA, I said no their Chinese crap and then showed them. They said treat them with this and that, I said I am, they said too bad.
I contacted red wing, customer service is crap just like their boots, garbage.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Ariat
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
American made Danners are always my first choice. Barring that, I would look at Georgia Boot and Dr. Marten.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I bought a pair of these from Sheplers:

https://danpostboots.com/collections/dan-post-mens/aluminum-alloy-toe

They've been excellent, and very comfortable right outta the box..

Sheplers page here: https://www.sheplers.com/brands/dan-post/mens-dan-post-work-boots/

$112.78 and shipped free since it's over $75.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
The ‘fire got me switched to Thorogood. I wear a traditional moc toe. Most comfortable boot to me, and I’ve tried many.

Don’t know what they offer with a cap.
Posted By: hanco Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I still buy Redwings, gonna look at some you all have suggested.
Posted By: fester Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
https://www.georgiaboot.com/georgia.../G8315.html?dwvar_G8315_color=20#start=1

Probably the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Thanx for all the replies guys I'll check them all out. The suggested Keen boots look like exactly what I'm looking for for the protected toe. Also my locally owned shoe store even carries them.
Posted By: tzone Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Originally Posted by k20350

I'd start with the Redwings that are USA made and go from there.

I have 2 pair, insulated and non-insulated steel toe. The toughness can't be beat. One pair I'm going on 8 years of continuous use...the non-insulated. The insulated pair I wear for cold weather work and for general kicking around in the late fall hunting.

USA Redwing Boots
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Originally Posted by 700LH
I'd look at Keen boots if you want a rubber toe

I just bought a pair of Keens a couple months ago. They are the most comfortable boots I've owned out of the box. I usually have 2 pairs of boots on the go and switch them out every other day. They dry out better and stink less. I think I may buy another of these Keens come Christmas.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ca/...WP-400G_color=1020091&cgid=work_mens
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The ‘fire got me switched to Thorogood. I wear a traditional moc toe. Most comfortable boot to me, and I’ve tried many.

This is exactly what I'm wearing right now. I like them so much I'm going to buy another pair to keep clean and decent looking while I continue to thrash my work ones.
can we do chainsaws now?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
i prefer slip-ons and i have had a pair of ariat workhogs for several years. excellent boots and you can get a safety toe if you want. they're around 150 bucks.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
ok, one more time

Stihl
Ford
Posted By: 325Abn Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I have a pair of Georgia boots -
https://www.georgiaboot.com/logger-...ger-boot/G7113.html?dwvar_G7113_color=20

and they're great for whatever outside work i'm doing. I also wear them occasionally hiking/hunting and they're very comfortable. They keep my feet warm and dry so i'm quite pleased with them.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I picked up a pair of the Danner Vicious work boots (4.5" ) with the composite toe, damned tough boots that have taken a beating over the last couple of years. I've worn several different varieties of Danner boots and they always seem to last. Only problem I have with these is my feet sweat (they sweat no matter what) in them so I need something that breathes, if it weren't for my sweating issue I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat but that said, I think my next pair will be the Danner Springfield with the composite toe.

Danner Vicious boots
Posted By: Muttly Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
Hoffman pole climbers, steel toe, not gonna wear out very fast.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/14/18
I got fitted for 2 pair of redwing heritage series iron rangers.
Black and brown.
Had the black fit with vibram big lug #100.
Hard to beat.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Another vote for Keen. Most comfortable work boots I've ever owned. They're holding up well too.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Another vote for Keen here. The ones I have have rubber over the toe, steel toecap and waterproof lining (which seems to work). I've had them for a couple of years - very comfortable boots.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Thorogoods. Made in USA.

They make some waterproof leather models also.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by northern_dave

This is exactly what I'm wearing right now. I like them so much I'm going to buy another pair to keep clean and decent looking while I continue to thrash my work ones.

You keep a pair of "Sunday-go-to-meeting" work boots? smile
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
I have very square toes and need shoes that look like Herman Munster's
I always wore an 8" Redwing with the King toe.
A big knot of scar tissue from a damaged Achilles, that I didn't get treated, makes boots painful.
So, now I have to wear tennis type steel toed Redwings.
No one else makes the toe type I need.

Checking the link, Lassers Shoe Fly carries Thorogood, and they list a big toe box shoe.
Next time I'm in Altoona I will check.
I need to spend my safety wear allowance from work soon.

Redneck, do those slip on type boots work well for you standing on cement?
My job has me mostly standing on bare cement all day.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I

Redneck, do those slip on type boots work well for you standing on cement?
My job has me mostly standing on bare cement all day.
Yes they do - and I also stand on cement all day..
Originally Posted by SuperCub

When they are the most comfortable footwear I've owned, yes. grin
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by ringworm
I got fitted for 2 pair of redwing heritage series iron rangers.
Black and brown.
Had the black fit with vibram big lug #100.
Hard to beat.

Been wearing the same pair of brown Iron Rangers since 2012. Finally this last July I had new heels put on and the soles re-sewn as the thread had finally wore out. Soles are still original and still going like gangbusters.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Doesn't matter what I buy, hydraulic fluid and oil kill them.
200 dollar boots last about a yr.
100 dollar boots about half a yr.
Posted By: tzone Re: Work Boot thread-2018 - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by SuperCub

When they are the most comfortable footwear I've owned, yes. grin

Yep! My workbooks are the most comfortable "shoes" I own. So, I wear em everywhere.
© 24hourcampfire