Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
k20350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First snow fell time for new boots. Nothing makes me a grump more than wet feet. Tired of paying $200+ for Red Wings that are what I would have considered Chinese junk 5 years ago. I love the http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3506-red-wing-shoes/3506-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown cause of the hard rubber toe. I'm in restaurant delivery and am constantly kicking stacks of buns and bread to get them where i want them. Local mom and pop work wear store gave me a card for a discount cause my boots fell apart so fast this time. I really love those boots but they just last less and less time every pair. I've bought 7 pairs over the years. I'm not a rich man but not afraid to spend a couple hundred on decent boots. What are u guys wearing? Any decent affordable to the working man boots out there any more worth a damn?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd look at Keen boots if you want a rubber toe

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
These will be my next boots, I'm done with redwings they wear out way to fast. I'm holding out to see if they go on sale for the holidays. boots. I don't know your requirement I need steel toe, and EH rated

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wear Caterpillar boots from Fleet Farm. Probably made by Wolverine. Love them.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Started wearing Ariat Waterproof boots some time ago.

I cussed wet socks for years. Until I tried these.

Tough, and my last pair has about 3 years on them, still in good shape, and was in close to a foot of water the other day for an hour or so, and not one drop soaked through to my socks.

Lots of styles for every taste.

https://www.ariat.com/WORKHOG_SQ_H2...G__SQ__H2O__CT__M__FOO_color=BRUIN_BROWN

https://www.ariat.com/CONQEST_8_GTX_M_FOO.html?dwvar_CONQEST__8__GTX__M__FOO_color=PEBBLED_BROWN

For dress up I wear Lucchese or Rios of Mercedes, but for work I wear Ariats without fail.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I work in a small manufacturing operation. My primary responsibility is to get the machining done, but we’re small so everybody has to be versatile. That means I machine, weld, run a lift truck when necessary and sit in the design and engineering sessions as well as travel to check out equipment, work on quotes with sub-contractors and vendors...you get the idea. I wear steel toed RedWings and for me, they take a lot of abuse and wear well. The outsides are kind of beat up looking from coolants and machine oils, and they’re nicked and cut here and there from collisions with sharp-edged bar stock and such, but they stay are in perfect functional condition. My 70 year old feet feel just fine, too, after all day on concrete floors.

I went to the RedWing store and got fitted right. They treat me well there and will clean and condition the boots and put in new laces any time I stop in, no cost, life of the boots. I will say, they’re US made RedWings, not the price-point import stuff. Some of the young guys buy Chinese or Vietnamese work boots at Walmart or wherever, for around a hundred bucks a pair, then bitch and complain when they fall apart in 6 months. My attitude is, nobody in those places buy our products, why should I buy theirs? When you figure the useful life, as well as the inconvenience of having to get new boots every six months, and add in the cost of poor performance, for me it’s a no brainer.

I don’t expect to work more than another 5 years (but you never know.) I have two pairs of RedWings that I alternate on a daily basis. I fully expect them to see me through.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by k20350
First snow fell time for new boots. Nothing makes me a grump more than wet feet. Tired of paying $200+ for Red Wings that are what I would have considered Chinese junk 5 years ago. I love the http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3506-red-wing-shoes/3506-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown cause of the hard rubber toe. I'm in restaurant delivery and am constantly kicking stacks of buns and bread to get them where i want them. Local mom and pop work wear store gave me a card for a discount cause my boots fell apart so fast this time. I really love those boots but they just last less and less time every pair. I've bought 7 pairs over the years. I'm not a rich man but not afraid to spend a couple hundred on decent boots. What are u guys wearing? Any decent affordable to the working man boots out there any more worth a damn?

I hate it when my bread and buns have boot marks in them. Redwings have been fine for me through my career.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Danner Quarry USA is what I have worn last three years (2 pairs) and going to buy another pair here in a month or so. Wear them all day every day unless I am hunting chukar or something where I wear my Schnees. Boots are so personal though, I feel fortunate when I find a good one that works for me.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I wear Justin steel toe boots, and for me they are the most comfortable out there. I use to wear Red Wings until they just didn't seem to fit my feet anymore, causing all kinds of aches and pains. Then I went through a lot of others such as Double H, Ariait, Cat, etc... and just never found any that were comfortable until I got to the Justin. Your feet are different of course, so what any of us suggest may not work for you.

Good Luck in your search, I know how frustrating it can be.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll not own another pair of red wings, the last pair is the last, the "hunt".....they take 4 hrs to get completely soaked and 2 days to dry, ruining a hunting trip so now I bring gumboots. Took them back to where I bought them, they said they were made in the USA, I said no their Chinese crap and then showed them. They said treat them with this and that, I said I am, they said too bad.
I contacted red wing, customer service is crap just like their boots, garbage.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ariat

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
American made Danners are always my first choice. Barring that, I would look at Georgia Boot and Dr. Marten.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I bought a pair of these from Sheplers:

https://danpostboots.com/collections/dan-post-mens/aluminum-alloy-toe

They've been excellent, and very comfortable right outta the box..

Sheplers page here: https://www.sheplers.com/brands/dan-post/mens-dan-post-work-boots/

$112.78 and shipped free since it's over $75.

Last edited by Redneck; 11/14/18.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ‘fire got me switched to Thorogood. I wear a traditional moc toe. Most comfortable boot to me, and I’ve tried many.

Don’t know what they offer with a cap.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I still buy Redwings, gonna look at some you all have suggested.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
https://www.georgiaboot.com/georgia.../G8315.html?dwvar_G8315_color=20#start=1

Probably the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

k20350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanx for all the replies guys I'll check them all out. The suggested Keen boots look like exactly what I'm looking for for the protected toe. Also my locally owned shoe store even carries them.

Last edited by k20350; 11/14/18.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by k20350

I'd start with the Redwings that are USA made and go from there.

I have 2 pair, insulated and non-insulated steel toe. The toughness can't be beat. One pair I'm going on 8 years of continuous use...the non-insulated. The insulated pair I wear for cold weather work and for general kicking around in the late fall hunting.

USA Redwing Boots

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
I'd look at Keen boots if you want a rubber toe

I just bought a pair of Keens a couple months ago. They are the most comfortable boots I've owned out of the box. I usually have 2 pairs of boots on the go and switch them out every other day. They dry out better and stink less. I think I may buy another of these Keens come Christmas.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ca/...WP-400G_color=1020091&cgid=work_mens

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The ‘fire got me switched to Thorogood. I wear a traditional moc toe. Most comfortable boot to me, and I’ve tried many.

Don’t know what they offer with a cap.

This is exactly what I'm wearing right now. I like them so much I'm going to buy another pair to keep clean and decent looking while I continue to thrash my work ones.

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 57 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.