Home
Check out FREECAMPSITES.NET
If you have a “smartphone”, there are several apps which give free camping and good boondocking sites nationwide! My wife has several on her phone! memtb
What are the apps names?
We had a slide-in camper in the back of our truck for several years, when traveling we usually sought out the local hospital and parked in the back of their parking lot, never got questioned, worked out great.
I just pull off where it’s pretty obvious it’s ok to stop. I can set up a tent and be in my sleeping bag in 8 minutes
Just pulling off the road is ok for just sleeping. We've done it many times. For more leisurely trips, though, we like to find a quiet scenic place to camp/fish/etc.
Where's Birdwatcher?

Hell Mike just camps in the bar ditch... laugh
I’m curious though, are free campsites wide open, will there be a lot of people living in their vans or crumbling RVs? Maybe just a CA thing.
You could always join the Elks Lodge, they usually allow plug-in spots at all their facilities.
I looked at some in Idaho that I'm familiar with. Some are pretty nice spots. I'm sure that you'll find junky ones, too.
I'm surprised that WalMart parking lots aren't shown... laugh

[Linked Image]
I'm told that Walmart isn't as friendly to campers as they used to be. Apparently they were getting too many junkers who didn't leave. I think they do have an online directory to stores that still allow it, though.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What are the apps names?

Rock Chuck, Here are some, courtesy of my wife (these are iPhone apps, other phones may be different): these are ours, there are others available for purchase thru your AppStore!

For Boondocking - the app is cleverly called Boondocking

Others - RVParking, RV Park and Campgrounds, ALLSTAYS Camp and RV, Campendium - RV and Tent Camping

memtb
Thanks.

I was just mucking around on the web looking for a list of Walmarts that allow camping. Some, apparently including the one here, have got the city to outlaw parking lot camping. That takes it off their backs.
They probably leave trash Walmart has to pick up.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I’m curious though, are free campsites wide open, will there be a lot of people living in their vans or crumbling RVs? Maybe just a CA thing.
You could always join the Elks Lodge, they usually allow plug-in spots at all their facilities.

Barkoff:

Depends on the location. Homeless people usually locate themselves in or near cities that offer free services. The best free camping spots are usually away from those cities and it's rare to find homeless people there.

KC
They are not homeless if they have the ability to even get there.
Usually, it’s the local campgrounds, that protest to the city council. They state they’re losing business. However, during peak vacation seasons, often you must reserve to have a spot! memtb
Roadside parks?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Lander WY has a very nice city park where camping is free to all. Lots of tent campers stay there, usually young people there for rock climbing, etc. Motorcycle groups also stay there quite a bit, bicycle tourists as well. There are public restrooms and a few spots for primitive RVers. We dont have any problem at all with folks trying to make it a home, police watch it pretty closely.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Where's Birdwatcher?

Hell Mike just camps in the bar ditch... laugh

Yep, I'm way over due here.

And I ride 'till can't see and bail off of the road looking for a spot along the right of way out of the headlights but without crossing fencelines. All I need is a piece of reasonably level ground to put a small tent on (if there's 'skeeters out). Leave at first light, no trash, no crap, no trespassing.

Thanks Rock for this way-cool link cool
Join Boondockers welcome .com
We have been host since 2013,
You will meet some great people for all over.
Walmart parking lot

Ask the store mgr first

Varies each location due to people abusing the privilege
Local Bass Pro allows. I've seen where it looks like an RV show going on. Maybe they are good for something.
We've stopped at rest stops on occasion but they're sure noisy with all the trucks. Some rest stops don't allow overnighters but we've never had a problem.
Harvest Host has info on free camping.
If you're boondocking, one of these can be very beneficial, especially if your knees are going bad.

[Linked Image]
If you're boondocking, one of these can be very beneficial, especially if your knees are going bad.

[Linked Image]

who takes a schit on their knees?

and why is it called taking a schitt and not giving one?...…..bob
that little dog that terrorizes Renegade50's rose bushes, that thing craps on its knees

Does a head stand actually.

Utah.......pull off the road & have at it........

may need a 4x4 to get there & back........... cry

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tikkanut

[Linked Image]
Same thing in much of Idaho and eastern OR and WA. It's the more crowded states without public land that are a problem.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

[Linked Image]
Same thing in much of Idaho and eastern OR and WA. It's the more crowded states without public land that are a problem.

that's why you & I are in Utah & Idaho........

public land & free to roam.........!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Walmart parking lot

Ask the store mgr first

Varies each location due to people abusing the privilege

Just used a Walmart last week. Didn't ask because I was not the first one to park there.

We all were parked near the "No over night truck parking" sign.
We've stopped at rest stops on occasion but they're sure noisy with all the trucks. Some rest stops don't allow overnighters but we've never had a problem.

We used the boondocking app, last summer. We spent 3 nights, a few miles from Tusayan ( at south entrance to the park). We were 3 miles down a National Forest road FS 302), by ourselves, pretty country and managed to see a small group of elk one morning. memtb
Thanks.

I was just mucking around on the web looking for a list of Walmarts that allow camping. Some, apparently including the one here, have got the city to outlaw parking lot camping. That takes it off their backs.

They tried that in Anchorage... not Wal-Mart, the city... because private camper parking places bitched. WalMart got a lot of heat and it was turned over fast.
Back lot at WalMart and Fred Meyer here is full of rolling hard-side tents all summer.
© 24hourcampfire